| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287 ... 508  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:43 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i just emailed this fro yo place that has a few vegan sorbet flavors, but their topping labeling is really screwed up. they list granola with honey in it as vegan, but they won't say that oreos are vegan. i was emailing with them to find out if the granola had honey and they were getting back to me super fast until i told them that honey isn't vegan. then the emails stopped. I even told them i'm registered dietitian and i could help them with their labeling, but no.

they do this dumb thing where they label things as "contains gluten" instead of saying which things are gluten free. it's very weird.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:05 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

ijustdiedinside wrote:
they do this dumb thing where they label things as "contains gluten" instead of saying which things are gluten free. it's very weird.

That's probably a liability thing. If they don't say anything is GF, they are covered if someone gets glutened and throws a fit, because they didn't label it GF. Instead they imply it by labeling other things as "contains gluten," but in the end they've CYA-ed because "Hey I didn't say it was gluten free."

Our local fro yo place doesn't have anything labeled as GF, topping-wise. I usually stick mostly with fruit and candies that I know to be GF.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

missdelaney wrote:
xGreenling wrote:
I'm okay with 'vegan' restaurants having maybe one or two items that have non-vegan options (like a few cafés I've visited in England especially that have all-vegan food but offer dairy milk for their coffees and teas) but advertising those items as vegan is off.

See, this actually ticks me right off. There's a bakery up the street from me that is advertised as vegan (and GF), but offer dairy milk. So when I ask if their (non specified) yogurt is vegan or not, and the clerk gives me this look like I'm a moron and says, "Everything we have is vegan!" I have to be the crasshole who says, "Actually. No. No it isn't." They used to use honey as a sweetener, but have apparently...stopped. I can't find any of their baked goods with honey anymore..

There is a place near my work that says its vegan (it's right there on the sign) so I assumed everything was vegan. Apparently eggs are vegan? Cause they sell hard boiled eggs and I would be willing to bet dairy milk for coffee.

It makes me question everything they make which sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:14 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My favorite thing about vegan restaurants is being able to order anything on the menu. It sucks knowing that this isn't the case. What kind of world is this, that we can't even go to vegan restaurants safely?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:36 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

missdelaney wrote:
xGreenling wrote:
I'm okay with 'vegan' restaurants having maybe one or two items that have non-vegan options (like a few cafés I've visited in England especially that have all-vegan food but offer dairy milk for their coffees and teas) but advertising those items as vegan is off.

See, this actually ticks me right off. There's a bakery up the street from me that is advertised as vegan (and GF), but offer dairy milk. So when I ask if their (non specified) yogurt is vegan or not, and the clerk gives me this look like I'm a moron and says, "Everything we have is vegan!" I have to be the crasshole who says, "Actually. No. No it isn't." They used to use honey as a sweetener, but have apparently...stopped. I can't find any of their baked goods with honey anymore.

I don't know why I keep going to this place. I complain about it frequently. I really want to open up a good vegan bakery in Seattle. We can't keep 'em (or they're subpar).

Yes! I'm in! Next to TurnPike would be a great place (but oh, the rent $$$$), or by PizzaPi would be great, too. I've thought of doing this for years!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:31 pm 
Grandfathered In

Do it.

The V-District would be the perfect place. Sidecar, Wayward, Pizza Pi, Araya's, and your bakery!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:14 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

FootFace wrote:
Do it.

The V-District would be the perfect place. Sidecar, Wayward, Pizza Pi, Araya's, and your bakery!

Haha. My roommate and I have been tossing the idea of a coffee shop and bakery with a literature theme...and we'd use soy/almond/hemp milk, not dairy. Cutesy names and a small loaner library for people who want to sit around and read.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:56 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

torque wrote:
Imogen wrote:
I am so hungry right now, because the office where I'm volunteering in Brazil seems to think that vegans only need to eat around half the amount that meat-eaters do. Plus I won't get to eat for at least an hour (made worse by the fact that I just read the toasted sandwich thread and I'm at least 3 weeks away from a toastie maker!)

Imogen, I am so sad to hear your travails continue. but maybe some good news? nearly everyone has a toastie maker in Brazil, it's called a sanduicheira. Chances are the zelador or the faixineira where you work has one where they take their breaks. Old pao frances with goiabada or doce de abobora com coco in the middle gets me through the winter.

Really?! This is exciting and unexpected news! Suddenly my weekend has started looking a lot brighter :) Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:08 pm 
Saggy Butt

Butternut wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
xGreenling wrote:

See, this actually ticks me right off. There's a bakery up the street from me that is advertised as vegan (and GF), but offer dairy milk. So when I ask if their (non specified) yogurt is vegan or not, and the clerk gives me this look like I'm a moron and says, "Everything we have is vegan!" I have to be the crasshole who says, "Actually. No. No it isn't." They used to use honey as a sweetener, but have apparently...stopped. I can't find any of their baked goods with honey anymore..

There is a place near my work that says its vegan (it's right there on the sign) so I assumed everything was vegan. Apparently eggs are vegan? Cause they sell hard boiled eggs and I would be willing to bet dairy milk for coffee.

It makes me question everything they make which sucks.

Ooh, yeah. That would unnerve me as well. The places I'd visited didn't have anything unspecified - all the menu items were labeled vegan, and gluten free/nut free/etc. as appropriate - there was just a note at the bottom of the coffee menu that drink could be made with soy, almond, or dairy milk. And if you don't specify upon ordering, they ask. Another place was all-vegan except for one carafe of cream alongside the carafes of almond and soy, all clearly labeled.

Although I guess having dairy on the premises introduces the possibility that someone would mix up the carafes...? I hadn't really thought of that, actually (which is a little weird since I'm the kind of person who practically leans over the bar to stare anxiously at baristas in Starbucks as they make my drinks). I guess since I'm gluten-intolerant as well, I might just have become more used dining out being an exercise in having to trust food service employees to have their wits about them, since I've never actually been to a restaurant or café that was entirely GF.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:30 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Today a sales rep told me that some of their companies skincare products contain soy, so they aren't vegan. For forks sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:05 am 
WRETCHED

Well I think Soul Veg doesn't specify themselves as a vegan restaurant, I mean it is called Soul Veg but everyone assumes so last time I saw, they didn't specify which things have honey in them and which don't. You'd have to ask them specifically (I think it is only the smoothies?)

And other restaurants (that say they are vegan), I've seen stars on the dishes and if you look at the bottom, they may specify that it isn't vegan. The weird thing is these restaurants (3 of them I can think of), only have 1 or 2 items on the menu that aren't vegan. You'd think they'd say "hey we don't really need that 1 dish do we?" I mean all of the 3 restaurants have tons of stuff on their menu.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:58 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

teacup wrote:

or going places where there is nothing! to eat ... I am quite flexible but have been in places where ALL of their side vegetable dishes have sauce of some sort containing dairy and even getting an undressed green salad is a process ... still, after all these years one would think I would know better about such places but when going out as part of a group ... argh

I do not mind nothing to eat - it is expected. However a place that used to serve tofu crusted po' boys, black bean soup, doughnuts, sticky buns and pizza - all vegan that now only offers raw veggies no dip as the vegan choice just peas me off...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:38 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

This weekend, me and my family went to a fancy restaurant for dinner, to celebrate my brother's birthday. My dad had called the restaurant several days in advance to ask them if they could fix something vegan for me. No problem, they said. So, when we got there, the food they had prepared for me consisted of a tiny (tiny) serving of vegetables drenched in olive oil with some sunflower seeds on top. The serving was smaller than a starter and it didn't taste very good. But the worst thing was the price we had to pay for this: 165 SEK, which equals about $24, or €18. Luckily there was a deli nearby where I could buy two big smoothies right after. I'm still so pissed about this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:34 pm 

So I just found out that this very common side dish in north Brazil, farofa, which I had previously been assured was vegan by several (non-veg) Brazilians, really isn't most of the time. According to Wikipedia, most of the time it's made using butter and sometimes bacon. Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:52 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I hate to add more misery, but also often eggs. sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:08 pm 

torque wrote:

Bleurgh! What annoys me isn't even that I've been eating non-vegan food without knowing (accidents happen after all) but that so many people have assured me point blank that it was vegan!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:31 pm 
Semen Strong

Love Child wrote:
This weekend, me and my family went to a fancy restaurant for dinner, to celebrate my brother's birthday. My dad had called the restaurant several days in advance to ask them if they could fix something vegan for me. No problem, they said. So, when we got there, the food they had prepared for me consisted of a tiny (tiny) serving of vegetables drenched in olive oil with some sunflower seeds on top. The serving was smaller than a starter and it didn't taste very good. But the worst thing was the price we had to pay for this: 165 SEK, which equals about $24, or €18. Luckily there was a deli nearby where I could buy two big smoothies right after. I'm still so pissed about this.

When we splurged on a famous restaurant in Fez, while we were in Morocco, and the chef assured me that they would make me a vegan meal. It was totally delicious but the portions were incredibly tiny. I ended up bursting into tears and the manager had the chef give me more food. They were really nice, and I guess they felt like if I was vegan I must have been on a diet or something. Its crazy to spend a ton of money and end up starving though!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:48 pm 
Semen Strong

Heh, it was Rick's Cafe and I posted about it here. Apparently I still haven't forgiven them. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=155&p=51095&hilit=morocco#p51095

They charged me the price of a meal, but served me just the side dish of roasted veggies that came with all the other mains. A side dish for the price of a main. It kind of blows my mind that anyone in the hospitality industry could think that was ok

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:54 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Tofulish wrote:
Love Child wrote:

When we splurged on a famous restaurant in Fez, while we were in Morocco, and the chef assured me that they would make me a vegan meal. It was totally delicious but the portions were incredibly tiny. I ended up bursting into tears and the manager had the chef give me more food. They were really nice, and I guess they felt like if I was vegan I must have been on a diet or something. Its crazy to spend a ton of money and end up starving though!

Yeah, I was close to tears too, haha! We had just wandered around Stockholm the whole day and I was starving. It looked a bit funny though, the others got huuuuge servings of meat and vegetables and french fries and different sauces, and then there was me with my minimal plate of vegetables. Also, the waiter called it "raw food", which it definitely wasn't.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:06 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Imogen wrote:
torque wrote:

Bleurgh! What annoys me isn't even that I've been eating non-vegan food without knowing (accidents happen after all) but that so many people have assured me point blank that it was vegan!

Yeah, this happens a lot when you move countries. It's like you have to learn to be vegan all over again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:35 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Imogen wrote:
So I just found out that this very common side dish in north Brazil, farofa, which I had previously been assured was vegan by several (non-veg) Brazilians, really isn't most of the time. According to Wikipedia, most of the time it's made using butter and sometimes bacon. Sigh.

Ugh! Wilson always saved me from that, though I didn't like it too much pregan. He didn't know that milk powder isn't vegan though, so I accidentally ate that in Brazil. I guess even if you have a guide it can be rough! Hang in there. I've been thinking about you a lot. I'm sorry for your other troubles as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:03 am 
Nailed to the V

I stayed the weekend with my granny, she means well but I get so annoyed by her bugging me. She went out of her way to make food I could eat and bought in posh pasta sauce etc but CONSTANTLY kept asking if I would have cheese on top of my food, because I "need the protein". And my husband and I got quizzed by her about how we get protein if we don't use any animal products. She just couldn't believe that it's possible to get protein without using meat or eggs or cheese. I think next time I go I'll print off one of those lists you get that tells you how much protein is in beans and lentils and vegetables etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:28 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Ariann wrote:
It's not quite on par with this, but there are people in my life I've known twenty years who still say my name wrong. Like, if you care for half a second, you're not going to keep making a mistake that is irritating to your listeners.

Me too! It's so weird.

But then I realized that I've been spelling my good friend Kathlene's name as Kathleen for years, and I felt pretty silly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:35 am 

ndpittman wrote:
Imogen wrote:

Ugh! Wilson always saved me from that, though I didn't like it too much pregan. He didn't know that milk powder isn't vegan though, so I accidentally ate that in Brazil. I guess even if you have a guide it can be rough! Hang in there. I've been thinking about you a lot. I'm sorry for your other troubles as well.

Thank you, that's really kind of you. In all honesty, the vast majority of my time here has been amazing, but it's also made me realise how important and special the people in my vegan support network are for me, not least because in 6 weeks in Brazil, I've met just one other vegan (but no vegetarians). This forum has been a great venting place for some of the difficulties, but I'm looking forward to getting back home and talking all about it with people face to face who really get what veganism is and how much it means to me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:35 am 
Seagull of the PPK

aelle wrote:
Imogen wrote:
torque wrote:

Yeah, this happens a lot when you move countries. It's like you have to learn to be vegan all over again.

exactly, you need to factor in the cultural baggage.
most people will tell you what they think you want to hear, because they want you to be happy. i have BR friends with severe allergies and they never eat outside of the home, point blank. too risky. you don't get an honest answer, you get a hospitable answer.
unless you have someone with you who is also a vegan (same definition of vegan, and same level of commitment) i think there is a certain level of deception that you have to expect.

I don't know if you've seen suco de milho up there. Typical truckstop diner and way-out-in-country drink. It's blended sweet corn and sugar, strained out to be juice. DELISH. At least, that's the way I have always had it made for me. I got some at a truckstop, took a long pull, and BLARK. it was milk. i said to the guy "shiitake man this is milk" and he was like, well sure, it's almost all whole milk, that's how people like it. I said dude, what if i were allergic? he was like "well it's only a little bit of milk powder, you'll be fine." I was in total what the fizzle mode by then and I think Mr T had to lead me out of there before i got violent.

Half the time when you ask if something has milk or cheese, they think you want to hear yes (wholesome!). If you tell them you don't want milk, then they'll tell you there's no milk. I've had people try to convince me that a t-bone steak was actually a vegetarian alternative. It's a cultural thing and i try to be patient with it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287 ... 508  Next