| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12046 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295 ... 482  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:55 pm 
Semen Strong

jordanpattern wrote:
Right, and the corollary that a previous poster fears for their life around such a person is downright insulting.

Perhaps, but I don't see how it becomes "mindbendingly racist" if they are talking about hunters in general. I am open to being schooled here, but as I see it:

ViB said "I feel afraid around hunters"

Then there was a very helpful discussion around different types of hunters. I have a friend who is First Nations who does a Big Horn hunt with her family every year and they live off the meat for the winter, and yes, I agree that that has a very large cultural component and is very different from a lot of the "sport" hunters here who put out boxes of donuts and blast away at as many bears as they can and then throw out the meat and keep the pelts.

But it does seem a bit attenuated to me, to go from ViB said "I feel afraid around hunters" to the inference that because some people who are First Nations hunt, ViB is saying "I feel afraid around people who are First Nations" or "People who are First Nations are all murderers." Had ViB made the latter statements, they would have been racist, because they would have been singled out and been subject to a set of assumptions, because of their race.

I have just seen truly mindbending racism where it comes to Native populations here in the US, from the fight to not extend the VAWA to reservations, to not investigating crimes that happen on reservations or to Native Americans and the mindbending system of institutional racism here. Its horrific.

I think my objection is semantic though, and beyond the scope of the thread, so my apologies for the derail.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Last edited by Tofulish on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:55 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I don't even understand the original "peeve"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:01 pm 
Semen Strong

Fee wrote:
I don't even understand the original "peeve"

Vijita was the OP and her peeve was militant vegan crassholes, who judge others and can't be accepting of the fact that not everyone is vegan :)

Which I agree with so much, as I assume most of us do. When my husband was transitioning to veganism, he was really turned off by vegan gatherings where people would insult him for not being vegan. Bullying, even for the best of causes, isn't cool.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:21 pm 

See that's what I thought, and I'm not trying to be dismissive. What I'm saying is I don't even think what the "rich white guys" do is so evil - so why would I think badly of native people doing the same thing? It's not my thing and I don't get it and I feel bad when I kill mosquitos, but I don't look down on it in a "I'm better than native hunters OR rich white guy hunters OR people who kill mosquitos" way.

Like I feel bad for the cows that they give away in that heifer project or whatever. Ethically, what they do is cool and I'd never want to stop it, but I feel bad for that cow. Because that's how I do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Fee wrote:
Like I feel bad for the cows that they give away in that heifer project or whatever. Ethically, what they do is cool and I'd never want to stop it, but I feel bad for that cow. Because that's how I do.

I don't think Heifer is cool ethically. There is a lot of evidence that the cows and other animals they donate contribute to environmental damage and ultimately aren't useful to the communities that they are donated to because there isn't enough feed or water to sustain them, and the communities would be better off with plants or other support. Plus the percentage of their donations used for administrative costs is quite high. http://www.examiner.com/article/donatio ... -than-good

Quote:
Ratings of Heifer’s effectiveness have slipped in response to the amount of money spent on glossy brochures and other fundraising endeavors. In 2008 the group spent 18 million dollars on fundraising—16 percent of the budget—and left 17 million dollars unspent on any programs at the end of the year. Charity rating group Givewell gave Heifer International zero out of a possible three stars since the organization met none of its criteria for accountability or project priorities.

I think there are a lot of better organizations.

But I get your point. I try not to donate to charities that fund animal experimentation. But when my mother died of breast cancer, she had wanted donations in lieu of flowers to go to Susan B. Komen, and I respected her choice, even if it does mean that I participated in fundraising that would ultimately go to medical research on animals. And I got some flack from my more militant vegan friends.

Last edited by Tofulish on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:32 pm 

Oh. Well I guess I should have finished listening to that podcast. In theory, I'd be cool with it

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:35 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Let's....try to get off of hunting. I feel like it can only get worse from here so let's just talk about Daiya farts.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:41 pm 
Semen Strong

I've never had Daiya farts! I had an amazing vegan lasagna yesterday at a vegan potluck, but no Daiya farts. I feel peeved at my body's inability to grant me this quintessential vegan experience.

Also, Vijita, I hope you're out of the hospital and feeling better. I was so sorry to hear that you had been admitted and had to cancel your SF trip.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

vijita wrote:
She was really embarrassed when I declined because she didn't know I wasn't a meat-eater, but I was honoured by the invite anyway because it was something that meant something to her and her culture, and she wanted to share it. After that she researched what traditional native foods were vegan, and she made me a shitton of fry-bread and vegan chilli...

Vijita, that's so awesome. I've been reading up a lot on pre-colonial/pre-contact food in the Americas so I'm maybe really ridiculously excited for you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Apparently going vegan for a few weeks prevents you from having orgasms, and other things I learned over lunch with a paleo dieter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:10 pm 

Everything gives me the farts. And I tend to go in cycles where i'll eat something that makes me just a little gassy, and then (for example, Brian's birthday dinner) i'll make a big pan of enchiladas and we'll eat on them for two days and it's fart fart faaaaaaaaaart.

This is why Brian keeps me in a room in the back most of the time.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:21 pm 
WELFARIST!

Tofulish wrote:

A friend of mine is a bear activist, and the hunters harass her almost daily, on FB and IRL. They post rewards for "her" bears, and last year during hunting season, they made a point of coming onto her property and shooting her bears, and bragging about it on the internet and one guy sent her pictures through the mail of them pissing on her friendly bear's corpse. One of the guys who did it is an attorney and it kind of blows my mind that he is so arrogant as to know that there will be no consequences for him. I don't think most hunters are like that, but I also don't think most hunters that I have met have a lot of respect for the animals they kill.

Whoa, whoa, whoa- next time someone feels like posting something like this, can we put it under a jump, please? I did not want to read this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:25 pm 
Semen Strong

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

A friend of mine is a bear activist, and the hunters harass her almost daily, on FB and IRL. They post rewards for "her" bears, and last year during hunting season, they made a point of coming onto her property and shooting her bears, and bragging about it on the internet and one guy sent her pictures through the mail of them pissing on her friendly bear's corpse. One of the guys who did it is an attorney and it kind of blows my mind that he is so arrogant as to know that there will be no consequences for him. I don't think most hunters are like that, but I also don't think most hunters that I have met have a lot of respect for the animals they kill.

Whoa, whoa, whoa- next time someone feels like posting something like this, can we put it under a jump, please? I did not want to read this.

I am sorry I offended you. I am not sure what you found so offensive, but if you tell me what you think should have been spoilered, then I will certainly use that function in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

Tofulish wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I am sorry I offended you. I am not sure what you found so offensive, but if you tell me what you think should have been spoilered, then I will certainly use that function in the future.

I didn't say I was offended but I certainly don't open this thread expecting a detailed description of animal torture. Generally this thread is some light complaining and ranting and this goes beyond that. Next time it could just be, "A friend of mine is a bear activist, and the hunters harass her almost daily, on FB and IRL. It's kind of graphic so I'll put the details under the cut."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Its not animal torture though. I was talking about the level of harassment that people who protest the hunt get. I would agree that descriptions of violence against animals should absolutely be spoilered, but I didn't think that my description of the harassment would be particularly triggering to anyone.

I don't want to upset anyone, but I don't have a clear sense of what needs to be spoilered here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:38 pm 

FARTS.

(It probably is a good idea to put stuff like that in a spoiler tag in the future. I have put potentially gross-out stuff in tags before.(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I don't get farts per se, but I definitely get gassy from daiya. And tofu. But I eat them both anyway cause DELICIOUSNESS

Last edited by Simply_Love on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

How do you find "pissing on a bear corpse" in order to emotionally hurt a person to not be graphic?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mrsbadmouth wrote:
FARTS.

(It probably is a good idea to put stuff like that in a spoiler tag in the future. I have put potentially gross-out stuff in tags before.(

My grandmother would say that farts are gross-out but then again, she would not let us say that something "sucked." She would change it to "sips."

In other news, someone made me brownies! Gluten free brownies. They were so proud... *head desk* I am waiting for paleo-raw-gluten free everything but vegan baked goods next.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Simply_Love wrote:
I don't get farts per se, but I definitely get gassy from daiya. And tofu. But I eat them both anyway cause DELICIOUSNESS

Chia seeds. They make my belly explode. It was the worst night of my life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:07 pm 

I don't know why the farts are even noticeable given all the diarrhea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:18 pm 
Chard Martyr

madeleine.teacup wrote:
vijita wrote:
She was really embarrassed when I declined because she didn't know I wasn't a meat-eater, but I was honoured by the invite anyway because it was something that meant something to her and her culture, and she wanted to share it. After that she researched what traditional native foods were vegan, and she made me a shitton of fry-bread and vegan chilli...

Vijita, that's so awesome. I've been reading up a lot on pre-colonial/pre-contact food in the Americas so I'm maybe really ridiculously excited for you.

It's so interesting! In the cultures I studied (the Kainai and Siksika) they ate a ton of huckleberries, and there are great stories about following the bears to the berries. Of course, the meal she made me was non-traditional in that it would normally contain buffalo meat, but according to my friends they commonly make a vegetarian version (they call fry-bread served with chilli Indian Tacos).

Tofulish, thanks for the kind words. I am out of the hospital but still dealing with some confusing medical stuff.

Anyway, peeves. Ummm....Earth Balance peanut butter is $7.99 at my grocery store. what the fizzle?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:20 pm 
Chard Martyr

oops double post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:39 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

my pet peeve is that a vegan cheese company, whose cheese i love, just posted some article and made a comment about how dairy is to blame for breast cancer. use some of that compassion you have for animals on people, huh? and one of the comments on their facebook is this "Thanks for sharing this important information. Most breast and prostrate cancers are food borne illnesses"

i wanted to make a comment about why i'm going to stop following them on facebook for this stuff (they post this kind of stuff a lot), but i should probably just drop it and stop following them quietly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Yeah, it made me uncomfortable too. I probably still would've read it under spoiler tags though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12046 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295 ... 482  Next