| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296 ... 512  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ijustdiedinside wrote:
my pet peeve is that a vegan cheese company, whose cheese i love, just posted some article and made a comment about how dairy is to blame for breast cancer. use some of that compassion you have for animals on people, huh? and one of the comments on their facebook is this "Thanks for sharing this important information. Most breast and prostrate cancers are food borne illnesses"

i wanted to make a comment about why i'm going to stop following them on facebook for this stuff (they post this kind of stuff a lot), but i should probably just drop it and stop following them quietly.

I found an article about cleanses on a popular vegan supplement site and dropped following them immediately. The only problem with announcing that you are not following them is that the anti-science brigade will shriek at you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:03 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

so many vegan blogs I used to read have started talking about cleanses and clean eating and stuff like that, it's annoying. My tolerance level for it has gone to about zero. I'm thinking of one particular vegan beauty blog but it's everywhere now.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:19 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Quarantined wrote:
so many vegan blogs I used to read have started talking about cleanses and clean eating and stuff like that, it's annoying.
I actually find the degree to which the "clean eating" rhetoric shades into ED behavior pretty disturbing. Many of the "healthy" recipes I've seen on some of these blogs smack of a deeply disordered relationship to food and eating. Thanks just the same, but I'm doubtful that a deep-seated terror of cooking oil helps anyone live longer or be their "best" self.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Last edited by Desdemona on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:21 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Vantine wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
my pet peeve is that a vegan cheese company, whose cheese i love, just posted some article and made a comment about how dairy is to blame for breast cancer. use some of that compassion you have for animals on people, huh? and one of the comments on their facebook is this "Thanks for sharing this important information. Most breast and prostrate cancers are food borne illnesses"

i wanted to make a comment about why i'm going to stop following them on facebook for this stuff (they post this kind of stuff a lot), but i should probably just drop it and stop following them quietly.

I found an article about cleanses on a popular vegan supplement site and dropped following them immediately. The only problem with announcing that you are not following them is that the anti-science brigade will shriek at you.

I always say something with the hope that someone will be awesome and actually examine their behavior and reconsider. So far that hasn't happened much.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:35 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Desdemona wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
so many vegan blogs I used to read have started talking about cleanses and clean eating and stuff like that, it's annoying.
I actually find the degree to which the "clean eating" rhetoric shades into ED behavior pretty disturbing. Many of the "healthy" recipes I've seen on some of these blogs smack of a deeply disordered relationship to food and eating. Thanks just the same, but I'm doubtful that a deep-seated terror of cooking oil helps anyone live longer or be their "best" self.

yes, the interesting thing is how it seems to have crept up and become the norm now, gradually, so I think people don't really notice it. But when you take a step back and look at all this, a lot of it really is verging on ED behavior.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:56 am 
Level 7 Vegan

My vegan pet peeve is people pretending that a slimy bowl of chia seeds is yummy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:13 am 
WRETCHED

I like chia slime! Although when I make chia pudding, it isn't slimy but I've bought chia kombucha before and liked it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:35 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

jordanpattern wrote:
I'd submit two things:

1. You probably know and feel perfectly safe around a lot of people who kill animals. Lots of people fish, and plenty of people hunt. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that knowing that about a person makes you uncomfortable because you think they would just as easily kill you.
2. You probably know and feel perfectly safe around a lot of people who own guns. Not everyone advertises their gun owning status.

I actually only know one person that hunts and owns a gun, aside from a few military / police. And one that fishes, but they throw them back cause the waters polluted. Hunting isn't big where I am, and that person is someone I avoid. Even the fishing and throwing it back I don't get. If my best friend told me they owned a gun, I couldn't be friends with them anymore. I don't want to be around guns, ever, period. And if I have not associate with someone to accomplish that I will. It's not about race, or First Nations, or anything like that.
It may be a stretch to you to think that someone who kills a deer could just as easily kill a person, but it's not to me. I feel unsafe around people when I know that, there really isn't anything anyone can say to change this, I've always felt that way. I wasn't trying to argue it or start a debate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:52 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Starbucks has chocolate Chai. But it has honey in it. Soooo annoying. Especially for the bees.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:00 am 
Bathes in Braggs

ameyfm wrote:
My vegan pet peeve is people pretending that a slimy bowl of chia seeds is yummy

Mmmm slimy. I told my son they were frog eggs (made into pudding with vanilla soy milk) and he believed me for a minute until he realized I wouldn't be eating any eggs. I love tapioca too.

My peeve for today is food day at work. Aparently they used to have it occasionally before I worked here and are now starting again. It is mostly a potluck but you are supposed to bring in your most delicious food. I will bring some things and participate but two things that make me sad are 1) I won't be able eat most of the food and 2) the disordered eating sort of talk that goes - for some people - with something like this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:37 am 
Lime and a Coconut

ijustdiedinside wrote:

UGH I hate this. A while ago a friend of mine posted something about veganism and someone responded in the comments that veganism could cure ADHD and cancer and take all of America off their completely unnecessary medications. I was like "wooooah, back it up."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ameyfm wrote:

I love you, Ameyfm.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

UGH I hate this. A while ago a friend of mine posted something about veganism and someone responded in the comments that veganism could cure ADHD and cancer and take all of America off their completely unnecessary medications. I was like "wooooah, back it up."

I think that it's important that vegans speak out about lies like that because it makes veganism seem like nothing but woo with a side of ridiculousness.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

blondiefk wrote:
Starbucks has chocolate Chai. But it has honey in it. Soooo annoying. Especially for the bees.

If it helps, it's not really that good. (I tried a bit - I work at Starbucks.) You should try a soy chai latte made with the tea bag, light water, and 1 pump mocha, 2 pumps vanilla (for the grande size). It's vegan and better than the chocolate chai.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

bodhi wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

If it helps, it's not really that good. (I tried a bit - I work at Starbucks.) You should try a soy chai latte made with the tea bag, light water, and 1 pump mocha, 2 pumps vanilla (for the grande size). It's vegan and better than the chocolate chai.

Ooh, thanks!

Regarding veganism curing all ills, when I was a new vegan another vegan told me that I wasn't really vegan because I take psych meds and mental illnesses aren't real and all that I needed to do was be a raw vegan. It was upsetting to be invalidated in several ways like that, even if what she said was bullshiitake.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:59 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

vijita wrote:

Anyway, peeves. Ummm....Earth Balance peanut butter is $7.99 at my grocery store. what the fizzle?

The price of olive oil has forking DOUBLED in the space of about 18 months. Why?? Was there a particularly bad harvest in all the olive-growing countries, or is it an economy of scale thing where because it's more expensive less people are buying it so that pushes the price up? Or just supermarkets thinking that if people can afford luxury oil they can suck up a higher price?

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

dropscone wrote:

The price of olive oil has forking DOUBLED in the space of about 18 months. Why?? Was there a particularly bad harvest in all the olive-growing countries, or is it an economy of scale thing where because it's more expensive less people are buying it so that pushes the price up? Or just supermarkets thinking that if people can afford luxury oil they can suck up a higher price?

There was a particularly bad harvest in Greece and also some terrible economic issues in terms of production facilities and investors, if I remember correctly. I don't have the article in front of me right now but yeah, there's a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:56 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Vantine wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

I think that it's important that vegans speak out about lies like that because it makes veganism seem like nothing but woo with a side of ridiculousness.

You're probably right. I wish I was a little more articulate about these things. I never really know how to say exactly what I want.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:03 pm 
Semen Strong

I would just link to this and say that research shows that its inaccurate to call cancer a foodborne disease, because while diet alone might prevent somewhere between 20-42% of all cancers, and as little as 10% of certain individual types of cancer, making quantitative estimates at this time is treacherous, as the available evidence can only be interpreted roughly, because of confounders like exercise, methodological difficulties, and the need to rely on unreliable memory for recall of intake.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 8-0167.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

Tofulish wrote:
I would just link to this and say that research shows that its inaccurate to call cancer a foodborne disease, because while diet alone might prevent somewhere between 20-42% of all cancers, and as little as 10% of certain individual types of cancer, making quantitative estimates at this time is treacherous, as the available evidence can only be interpreted roughly, because of confounders like exercise, methodological difficulties, and the need to rely on unreliable memory for recall of intake.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 8-0167.pdf

I just started reading this. Thanks for posting it.

This is a general pet peeve but it annoys me greatly when people try to insist that things like cancer or depression or whatever can be reliably cured or prevented through diet, because first of all, no. Second, it's a really shitty way of managing one's own anxiety about mortality and illness and the frailty of the human body generally at the expense of people who are in tough situations. Rather than have compassion for someone who is dealing with a serious illness, just yell at them about raw veganism for a while. Then you can maintain your illusion of control. YOU would never "do that to yourself." YOU drink wheatgrass juice four times a day and stand on your head and pray to the right god and and and...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:03 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

paperweight wrote:
Second, it's a really shitty way of managing one's own anxiety about mortality and illness and the frailty of the human body generally at the expense of people who are in tough situations.

This is a really coherent statement of what's wrong with this. I get really frustrated when people do this and sometimes have a hard time articulating what's wrong with it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:17 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks for that article, Tofulish. It really frustrates me when people call cancer a foodborne illness, too.

paperweight wrote:
Second, it's a really shitty way of managing one's own anxiety about mortality and illness and the frailty of the human body generally at the expense of people who are in tough situations.

Well said.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:25 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

It also feels like people who get cancer are being blamed for getting cancer. fork that and fork cancer. That shiitake forking sucks. It already puts people in such a fragile mindset, and then people want to suggest that shiitake? No, fork you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:43 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I also really dislike it when people talk about tough people fighting cancer. I have seen it a lot on here but I didn't say anything because it didn't feel right at the time. It implies that dying of cancer is weak. It's far from a vegan pet peeve though, so move on.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:47 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

ndpittman wrote:
fork that and fork cancer.

^yeah.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296 ... 512  Next