| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299 ... 545  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:32 am 
Bathes in Braggs

CQ, how does one know for sure it's vegan yarn? I know synthetics, but are there more things to consider? Is there a thread (no pun intended :-)) on this somewhere on the PPK?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:49 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I go by fiber content. I'll use synthetic or plant yarn, and I won't use animal yarn (even yarn that's just a small percentage animal yarn, if there's animal in it, I won't use it).

There is no thread specifically about fiber content, but someone already made that pun on purpose ;-) ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:25 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I kind of agree with y'all on facebook and graphic images. I think one of the reasons they are such a turnoff is that in your feed there is maybe a picture of kid going to kindergarten, someone wishing they had tacos, a picture of some ice cream, and then BAM an animal mutilated. It seems particular invasive in that context.

But on the other hand, I recently saw a Ted Talk about the power that images have to change public sentiment and now I'm not so sure if it's a bad thing. Unless someone is posting horrible things constantly I think I'm now willing to let it slide.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:05 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I spent 4 hours baking for a work party last night, and then nobody bothered to order something vegan for me to eat. They got two platters of pre-made burritos and Caesar wraps. Thanks guys. Appreciate that. So I'm eating instant lentil soup at my desk.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:41 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

ashley wrote:
I spent 4 hours baking for a work party last night, and then nobody bothered to order something vegan for me to eat. They got two platters of pre-made burritos and Caesar wraps. Thanks guys. Appreciate that. So I'm eating instant lentil soup at my desk.

UGH THAT IS CRAPPY.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:21 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've been looking for a couple of cutesy vegan tshirts for awhile. Nothing gross (like the one I saw that said "Beef. It's what's rotting in your colon." Umm, no, not like that one). So I saw some on Cafepress that I kinda liked and was thinking of getting. Then I look at the part "suggested/related items" and I see a tshirt that reads something like "I like vegans. I just can't eat a whole one" (or something to that effect).

Way to go marketing team. Lost sale.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Have you looked at Herbivore? They have a wide range of shirts.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:23 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ashley wrote:

ashley! your work sucks! don't waste your time baking for them!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:48 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

ijustdiedinside wrote:
ashley wrote:

Hah, I know. I'm dumb. But it was a baby shower for someone I like, who is a vegetarian (!), and they ordered from a Mexican place that has lots of vegan options (normally it's a build your own taco bar situation when we order from them), so it did not even occur to me that this would be an issue.

A platter full of vegetarian burritos and I couldn't eat anything. So forking annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:06 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

pandacookie wrote:

yeah, I checked the out a few times, but they only have a few designs and none appeal to me. Thanks, though!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:42 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

tofucheez wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

yeah, I checked the out a few times, but they only have a few designs and none appeal to me. Thanks, though!

Have you checked Animal Rights Stuff?

http://animalrightstuff.com/Merchant2/m ... creen=SFNT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:45 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Check out zazzle.com or zazzle.ca . They have a ton of vegan stuff on there, not just t-shirts. Got my daughter a cute cartoonish veggie shirt from there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:27 am 
Flounceiad 2011

ashley wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
ashley wrote:

Hah, I know. I'm dumb. But it was a baby shower for someone I like, who is a vegetarian (!), and they ordered from a Mexican place that has lots of vegan options (normally it's a build your own taco bar situation when we order from them), so it did not even occur to me that this would be an issue.

A platter full of vegetarian burritos and I couldn't eat anything. So forking annoying.
Been there. It's one thing if an event is all just meaty stuff, but when there are actually several vegetarian options but not one thing I can eat I can't help feeling annoyed. And slighted. And - worst of all - hungry.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:19 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

tofucheez wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

Check out www.sickonsin.com -very cute cartoony designs, lots are just animals and zombies and evil cupcakes, but there are some adorable, veg specific designs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Someone asked me if I have to eat protein powder! Because I can't get protein on my vegan diet, ofcourse. I LOL'ed pretty hard.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:35 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

DON'T YOU KNOW THE AVERAGE HUMAN HAS TO EAT 10,000,000 GRAMS OF PROTEIN EVERY HOUR JUST TO LIVE?!?!!!111

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:38 pm 
WRETCHED

I read a comment on another board where someone said they were trying to get more protein in their diet but they didn't really care for meat and forced themselves to eat it. The reason was they didn't want their calories to be 'empty' by eating things such as fruits and vegetables... I don't even know what I could say to that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

So I posted in the general thread about the woman getting married this weekend whose facebook posts are driving me batty...well, all the food at her reception is going to be vegan (I think) because her fiance is vegan. A girl I work with is going to this epic fantasyland wedding scenario and told me that she is not going to eat anything at the reception because she's so picky. Sigh. She doesn't even know what they're going to have, but she's already decided she's not going to eat anything because it will be vegan.

So dumb.

But on the flip side, finally some omnis will know what it's like to 'not be able' to eat anything. (Obviously, they're able, just unwilling.)

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:30 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Thanks for the suggestions on sites for vegan clothes! I'm pretty keen on a few things from AnimalRightsStuff. Still have to check out the other recommended sites. That just really bugged me about Café Press. Defo not ordering anything from them ever.

I actually like it when people ask me about being vegan. I figure by wearing a non offensive tshirt it's an open invitation for people to inquire without me being "that" pushy radical vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:42 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

allularpunk wrote:
So I posted in the general thread about the woman getting married this weekend whose facebook posts are driving me batty...well, all the food at her reception is going to be vegan (I think) because her fiance is vegan. A girl I work with is going to this epic fantasyland wedding scenario and told me that she is not going to eat anything at the reception because she's so picky. Sigh. She doesn't even know what they're going to have, but she's already decided she's not going to eat anything because it will be vegan.

not really related, but i specifically asked that our wedding reception be vegan (it was potluck style), and someone brought a 'salad' that was piled with egg, mayo, and cheese. i almost didn't let the kitchen ladies put it out on the serving table, but god forbid anybody 'misses out', right?
it also bothered me a bit that there were plenty of options, lots of delicious food, but it's like nobody was really satisfied; they had to fill up on cupcakes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:57 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

So I'm on my way to a wedding. It's meant to be a potluck for lunch (I'm taking a big tub of homemade chilli hummus and some chocolate chip peanut butter blondies) and the evening meal will be provided, except as it says on the invite, dinner will be "roasted animals and bread". I'm planning on taking a sandwich, some fresh fruit and a pot of dried fruit and nuts, but I don't know how happy I'll be there considering what an orgy of meat-eating it seems likely to be based on the invite. The whole thing is just making me feel a bit sad already, and I'm not even there yet!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:03 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Imogen wrote:
.............................The whole thing is just making me feel a bit sad already, and I'm not even there yet!

I hear you. I just can't (and don't) attend events like that for that reason.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:03 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Imogen wrote:
So I'm on my way to a wedding. It's meant to be a potluck for lunch (I'm taking a big tub of homemade chilli hummus and some chocolate chip peanut butter blondies) and the evening meal will be provided, except as it says on the invite, dinner will be "roasted animals and bread". I'm planning on taking a sandwich, some fresh fruit and a pot of dried fruit and nuts, but I don't know how happy I'll be there considering what an orgy of meat-eating it seems likely to be based on the invite. The whole thing is just making me feel a bit sad already, and I'm not even there yet!
tofucheez wrote:
Imogen wrote:
.............................The whole thing is just making me feel a bit sad already, and I'm not even there yet!
I hear you. I just can't (and don't) attend events like that for that reason.
Yeah, I generally beg off unless it's something I really can't avoid. Last year I was invited by a Haitian colleague to an event entitled "Fiona cooks chickens!" She's apparently a great cook, and she invited a bunch of people from our PhD program over to share her knowledge of Caribbean food, but the big deal was about all the chickens she'd be cooking for this big crowd. I really like her, so I just said I already had plans for that evening, but it seems unlikely that I'm going to enjoy myself at an event advertising itself in those terms!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:22 pm 
Semen Strong

A vegan life coach friend of mine had her first baby 10 days ago. Today she posts "I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight! Hurrah for a vegan diet!"

First, I hate thinking of veganism as being about weightloss and second, I wish there was no pressure to lose the babyweight as fast as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I feel like I have posted "oh my god" in relation to too many of your posts today, tofulish. Shall I say "holy shiitake" instead? How come my vegan diet has brought me not even within 50 pounds of my pre-preg weight? How come my vegan diet made me so fat when I was pregnant? This shiitake does not live up to advertising!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299 ... 545  Next