| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300 ... 426  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:35 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
A vegan life coach friend of mine had her first baby 10 days ago. Today she posts "I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight! Hurrah for a vegan diet!"

First, I hate thinking of veganism as being about weightloss and second, I wish there was no pressure to lose the babyweight as fast as possible.
(S)OY VEY.

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:44 pm 
Semen Strong

Veganism introduced me to dog rescue and cooking my own carbs (mostly in the form of muffins), the two things that have absolutely destroyed my pregan dieselness. I used to have a six pack and cut arms and legs, but no longer. Instead I look like I am wearing a slanket made entirely of Earth Balance.

But yes, I am 30lbs over my pregan weight and have none of my earlier muscles or strength. But I don't kill or hurt any animals, and that is good enough for me!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

Tofulish wrote:
Veganism introduced me to dog rescue and cooking my own carbs (mostly in the form of muffins), the two things that have absolutely destroyed my pregan dieselness. I used to have a six pack and cut arms and legs, but no longer. Instead I look like I am wearing a slanket made entirely of Earth Balance.

But yes, I am 30lbs over my pregan weight and have none of my earlier muscles or strength. But I don't kill or hurt any animals, and that is good enough for me!

Yes to this. I'm 15 pounds over my pregan weight and can't get rid of this tofu belly I have. I think it's a tofu belly; it could be from something else, though. Who knows? But I'm happier and feel better about myself because I'm not eating animals anymore. My eating makes a positive statement, and I love that.

My peeve is this. My sister, who is also vegan, brought her own frozen veggie burger to a barbecue last week and had my uncle grill it up for her along with the other stuff. Another person at the party told my sister, "Wow, that's so brave of you. You must be really disciplined, to always bring your own food to things instead of just eating what is there." Huh? First of all, it's brave of my sister? Why, because vegan is embarrassing, or because it's hard? Second, no, I don't think I really consider myself disciplined, nor is my sister. It's just that we don't eat animals. Period, end of story. There's no discipline or deprivation involved with that. I just think it's sad when people make dumb comments like that, because it shows their own lack of "bravery" and "discipline."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:48 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
I look like I am wearing a slanket made entirely of Earth Balance.
This just makes me love you more!
Tofulish wrote:
I don't kill or hurt any animals, and that is good enough for me!
And this makes me want to marry you all over again, wifey!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:52 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm 15-ish pounds under my pregan weight, but I think that has nothing to do with being vegan. I went vegan at the same time that I moved out of my parents place - I always temporarily gain it back whenever I visit home because of the unending supply of motherly cookies. I can't normally afford to bake that many cookies on my budget!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

tofucheez wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions on sites for vegan clothes! I'm pretty keen on a few things from AnimalRightsStuff. Still have to check out the other recommended sites. That just really bugged me about Café Press. Defo not ordering anything from them ever.

I actually like it when people ask me about being vegan. I figure by wearing a non offensive tshirt it's an open invitation for people to inquire without me being "that" pushy radical vegan.

Here's another ordering option - and support for a great non-profit: http://store.afa-online.org/home.php. And they'll be exhibiting, with lots of shirts, at my organization's event: www.portlandvegfest.org on 9/21-22!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

oh man it reeeaalllllylyyyyy bugs me when people attribute my weight fluctuation to vegan things.
My weight fluctuates violently from week to week even and it has absolutely nothing to do with my eating habits.
I've been vegan for 8 years (and veggie for 5 before that) and my stepmother (WHO HAS KNOWN ME THROUGH ALL OF THAT TIME) makes comments every time she sees me because I'm currently at a lower weight than I have been recently, about how healthy I am doing the vegan thing and I am just like "ahaha, Lor I ate ice cream for breakfast AND lunch today"

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:13 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Jill wrote:
Here's another ordering option - and support for a great non-profit: http://store.afa-online.org/home.php. And they'll be exhibiting, with lots of shirts, at my organization's event: http://www.portlandvegfest.org on 9/21-22!

Hee! I got my undergrad from UW so I've done a bunch of stuff with AFA!

And yes to being annoyed when everything that isn't perfect in my life is attributed to "that sh** you eat."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:22 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

beethecookie wrote:
My peeve is this. My sister, who is also vegan, brought her own frozen veggie burger to a barbecue last week and had my uncle grill it up for her along with the other stuff. Another person at the party told my sister, "Wow, that's so brave of you. You must be really disciplined, to always bring your own food to things instead of just eating what is there." Huh? First of all, it's brave of my sister? Why, because vegan is embarrassing, or because it's hard? Second, no, I don't think I really consider myself disciplined, nor is my sister. It's just that we don't eat animals. Period, end of story. There's no discipline or deprivation involved with that. I just think it's sad when people make dumb comments like that, because it shows their own lack of "bravery" and "discipline."

Seriously. I was picking up groceries for the cooking class I taught last week, at the local market that was sponsoring the event. When I went to check out, the two cashiers (who were super nice) were asking me about the class. One of them said, 'Oh, it must be so hard to be vegan!' and I just said that I didn't think so. She looked like I had slapped her. What? It's not that hard, it's just a choice you make and if you give a shiitake, you just do it. I don't even consider it to be a sacrifice or anything, it's just how I live my life.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:44 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

There is a bead shop in town, the owner is vegetarian...I have known her for like 17 years. i went in over the weekend and we were talking about food and she gave me that look and was like 'ohh well, you are dating a meat eater'...I said 'actually this summer my boyfriend has eaten 100% vegan, before it was 98% vegan so....'. She was happy but it just rubbed me the wrong way.

First off she is vegetarian - eggs/dairy = okay, she is one of those women who take 'spiritual' trips to India and the like for thousands of dollars and all the money and spiritual trips cannot mask that their insides are bitter and black, she cannot even say vegan correct (vague-in) and she is lecturing people on vegetarianism and she sells leather, bone and shell in her store - hypocritical much?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

co-worker: "I think it's weird that you're vegan, but you're okay with using a microwave."
me: "Microwaves aren't made of animals."

I don't even?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:47 pm 
Naked Under Apron

5% wool in sweaters. Why?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:00 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

creep wrote:
co-worker: "I think it's weird that you're vegan, but you're okay with using a microwave."

I don't even?

this sounds like something i would hear around these parts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

torque wrote:
creep wrote:

I don't even?

He's asked me about why I'm vegan in a legitimately curious way, and I've explained that it's for the animals and specifically said that it's not really for health benefits, so even if you're one of those weirdos who think microwaves will kill you, veganism and microwaves are still completely unrelated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:10 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i get it because there are apparently some weird and tenuous links between veganism, spirituality, hippie-ism, and maybe crystals? not sure. it reminds me of a time i went somewhere and somebody had something for me to eat (accidentally vegan cookies, maybe?) and even though i was jumping-up-and-down happy they were apologizing that they didn't come from the health food store. Dude, I don't care where the stuff comes from!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:59 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i get it because there are apparently some weird and tenuous links between veganism, spirituality, hippie-ism, and maybe crystals? not sure. it reminds me of a time i went somewhere and somebody had something for me to eat (accidentally vegan cookies, maybe?) and even though i was jumping-up-and-down happy they were apologizing that they didn't come from the health food store. Dude, I don't care where the stuff comes from!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:05 pm 
Nooch of Earl

It is not vegan to microwave animals, though!

Naw I think it's that people who say stuff like this have probably encountered someone in the past who was picky about that.

My peeve? You guys, I regretted not having my camera to take a photo, it was so astonishingly awful, but get this: my local Whole Foods had Follow Your Heart cream cheese. They had daiya cream cheese (two varieties). They had Go Veggie! (doesn't a bunch of their stuff have casein?) cream cheese. They had We Can't Say It's Cheese in a tub...

but they did NOT have tofutti cream cheese. They did have that stupid-butt tofutti ricotta, and tofutti sour cream, but no tofutti cream cheese!!!!

So either
a) they've stopped carrying it. Horror!! I can get tofutti elsewhere but liked the non-hydrogenated
b) some other vegan went and bought it all. Alright, fess up, tofutti-gobbling vegan of Hillcrest!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:30 pm 
***LIES!!!***

creep wrote:

I don't even?

Today I got, "I can't even take you seriously if you are a vegan and you use lemon juice in a squeeze container." This was at the end of a conversation about how lemons are too stupid expensive and I don't buy them. I just have no idea.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:32 pm 
Married to the wolfman

creep wrote:
veganism and microwaves are still completely unrelated.

I kind of want this on a business card to hand out to people.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My peeve is that yesterday I wanted to make chocolate zucchini cake, and it took me forever (okay, 15 minutes of Googling, which is forever in Internet time) to find one that wasn't fat free, gluten free, sugar free, made with carob or other woo, "clean" ingredients. I just want cake dammit!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:37 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm with you, aelle. Enough already!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:48 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ha ha, I veganized a family recipe from my husband's family, and it was really fun and he was so happy... So when I blogged about it, he shared my link on his Facebook. His cousin, who is sort of crazy, commented "I'm sorry, but that looks so unappetizing. It just looks like a giant blob... If you want Nanna's dumpling soup recipe, I'll give it to you, but you have to eat beef to enjoy it." My fella, to his omni credit, responded "I won't make you eat it. Enjoy your soup."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

This thread gave me nightmares about animals and microwave ovens, thank you PPK.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:07 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

creep wrote:
torque wrote:
creep wrote:

I don't even?

He's asked me about why I'm vegan in a legitimately curious way, and I've explained that it's for the animals and specifically said that it's not really for health benefits, so even if you're one of those weirdos who think microwaves will kill you, veganism and microwaves are still completely unrelated.

Maybe they read this article The 17 Weirdest Things I Do Now That I'm Vegan and just assumed it MUST apply to all vegans because we're obviously all the same?

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

HE doesn't like to use a microwave, but couldn't/wouldn't explain why. I said something about heating stuff in plastic maybe causing cancer, but that I did it anyway, but that it still didn't have anything to do with veganism, to try to jumpstart the conversation about what's with his microwave aversion... still wouldn't give any solid reasoning. Weird.

Reply to topic  [ 10647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300 ... 426  Next