| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301 ... 424  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:39 am 
Dead by dawn

I met biker boy's friend's new girlfriend the other day and while I really like her, which is good 'cause I may be spending a lot of time with her, she did tell me that the sweet potato fries biker boy and I ordered for the table weren't "very vegan." Upon questioning she said she thought all vegans were really into healthy food so I set her straight (nicely!) that vegan really means only no animal products and that anything else was just not related.

Of course the next person I run into will be the one who makes sure to tell me that "all" the vegans they know eat soooo unhealthy and, like, why are "all" vegans obsessed with junk food?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:59 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My dude had a bunch of people over for Monday night football last night and everyone brought a bunch of food. I knew I probably wouldn't be able to make anything, and wanted to contribute, so I made a couple of dips - baba ghanoush and a bean/butternut squash dip. Both were pretty bangin' if I do say so myself. And there were veggies and stuff for me to eat, so I was fine. Anyway, while everyone had plates full of wings and chicken sandwiches and sausage rolls, I just hung out, having already been eating tons of my dips, and this one woman was like, 'Aren't you going to EAT?' She knows I'm vegan, she was on the camping trip we went on this summer where I brought all my own food, plus I had pretty openly been stuffing my face with dip...and literally everything else was all meat and cheese. I just hate being singled out like that. Also, a couple of people made it a point to tell me that my dips were 'actually pretty good!'. Actually? Oh, cool.

No, really, I love his friends, they're just a little clueless when it comes to veganism, like most people. When it's people I like (as long as they're not being dicks), it doesn't bother me as much. Still, though. 'Actually'.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:06 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

"You can't eat wheat, can you?" said by a good friend of mine who I have literally broken bread with. I think she was just having a bad case of the stupids that day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:45 am 
Lime and a Coconut

allularpunk wrote:
'Actually'.

I hear you on that one. I usually deflect it back onto the person by joking, "well, don't act too surprised!" That often points out in a friendly way that it's kind of a backhanded compliment to give any chef, not just a vegan one.

My major pet peeve, which is making me majorly sad more than annoyed, is that I just got confirmation that a close friend of mine recently stopped being vegan. I don't want to be shallow, and I don't want to think that this will change our friendship. But the truth is that it kind of does. Not because she's no longer in my little club or whatever, but because she knows and understands and (I thought) believes the compassionate rationale behind veganism, and she is, on some level, acknowledging that she is willingly harming animals for her own tastes and desires. I'm really bummed out, and I don't know how to address it with her without just coming out with "so, you're not vegan anymore?!" like I'm the Vegan Police.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:17 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

A couchsurfing request I received today contained the following gem:

Quote:
[...] i've tried to be vegan for one week and sucked the first day haha [...]

I'm not sure how that was meant to make me want to host them, but it definitely didn't work.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:20 pm 
Saggy Butt

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
... but because she knows and understands and (I thought) believes the compassionate rationale behind veganism, and she is, on some level, acknowledging that she is willingly harming animals for her own tastes and desires. I'm really bummed out, and I don't know how to address it with her without just coming out with "so, you're not vegan anymore?!" like I'm the Vegan Police.

Are you two close? If so, maybe you could get together and see how she's doing. She MAY have consciously decided to 'quit' veganism, or she may just be dealing with something else and letting her life fall apart, you know?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:09 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Conversation I just had with my mother:

her: I just feel like I'm constantly looking for things you and your father might like to eat, vegetarian things, and you never look for things I might like to eat (Note: SHE MEANS MEAT) and it makes me feel bad.
Me: I just think there's a difference between asking me or dad to do something we've decided is morally wrong and you cooking vegetarian food, which you presumably enjoy and don't have any moral qualms about.
her: gets teary, says she just feels like we don't think about her.

I MEAN REALLY. I *do* make things I think she'd like, and I buy her light beers I have no interest in because I think she might like them; I just don't go looking for forking meat recipes I think she'd like and then buy the ingredients for them and make them. Plus, she was the one who introduced me to veg cooking with vegetarian epicure and moosewood, etc., so it's not like she only enjoys meat and potatoes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:19 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

This article: "Chicken Stock Doesn’t Count as Meat: Vegetarians won’t die if they sometimes eat food with poultry broth in it."

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2013/09/chicken_stock_vegetarians_need_to_compromise_and_stop_pretending_it_counts.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

pixel wrote:
This article: "Chicken Stock Doesn’t Count as Meat: Vegetarians won’t die if they sometimes eat food with poultry broth in it."

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2013/09/chicken_stock_vegetarians_need_to_compromise_and_stop_pretending_it_counts.html

Ugh! Just read it and it's the worst! The absolute worst part, though, is at the end: "We all know that if I didn’t tell you there was a little chicken stock in that veggie stir fry, you wouldn’t know and therefore couldn’t care." After the whole article is about why chicken stock is necessary if you want the food to taste good, he says you won't even know the difference? Which is it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:48 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Dave the Cat wrote:
pixel wrote:

Ugh! Just read it and it's the worst! The absolute worst part, though, is at the end: "We all know that if I didn’t tell you there was a little chicken stock in that veggie stir fry, you wouldn’t know and therefore couldn’t care." After the whole article is about why chicken stock is necessary if you want the food to taste good, he says you won't even know the difference? Which is it?

Gad, what a rude asparagus the author is. I hope his vegetarian friends read the article and disown him.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:05 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Wow. I can't even. Next time this guy is over for dinner, i guess i'll just slip some poo into his food. He wouldn't know unless i told him, so no big deal, right?

Ugh. And i'm so sick of meat eaters telling me they agree that animals shouldn't be harmed, and how they respect the animals they eat, and blah blah blah. If you really cared, and really respected animals, you wouldn't eat meat. So stop trying to get me to give you validation. And the worst part is that i always feel like a bisque when i respond with something snarky. Usually the person i'm talking to looks taken aback, like they couldn't believe i would respond with anything other than "That's great! I'm so glad you don't think animals should be hurt! And it just tickles my soul to know that you respect the animals that were killed so you could eat them!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:33 am 
Bathes in Braggs

annabazoo wrote:
Wow. I can't even. Next time this guy is over for dinner, i guess i'll just slip some poo into his food. He wouldn't know unless i told him, so no big deal, right?

Ugh. And i'm so sick of meat eaters telling me they agree that animals shouldn't be harmed, and how they respect the animals they eat, and blah blah blah. If you really cared, and really respected animals, you wouldn't eat meat. So stop trying to get me to give you validation. And the worst part is that i always feel like a bisque when i respond with something snarky. Usually the person i'm talking to looks taken aback, like they couldn't believe i would respond with anything other than "That's great! I'm so glad you don't think animals should be hurt! And it just tickles my soul to know that you respect the animals that were killed so you could eat them!"

THIS. YES.
I am so tired of people seeking my validation and being hurt that I'm not giving it. How many times can I possibly say, "I don't give a shiitake about your diet. This is my lifestyle choice; I'm obviously not going to agree with you on any level."

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Dave the Cat wrote:
pixel wrote:

And actually, I occasionally suspect restaurants I've eaten in to have done this. So, I'm pretty sure I would know and it basically ruins a meal for me.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:58 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

pixel wrote:

This peas me off. I will not compromise my personal integrity to make another person happy. And, having had people lie to me (to make themselves feel better) about what was in my food... I see that as a huge betrayal. I have a pretty nasty peanut allergy and would not be happy if you lied about that, if only for a short time before I died. Why do you think I would be happy about you lying about dead animal in my food?

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:12 am 
WRETCHED

That is really what I'd call a one trick pony. Basically someone isn't willing to branch out because all they know is chicken stock. why not utilize vegetable trimmings to make vegetable stock? Or make a mushroom broth for that mushroom risotto? Or add some white wine for flavor depth? Or some herbs?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:43 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kfad wrote:
pixel wrote:

This peas me off. I will not compromise my personal integrity to make another person happy. And, having had people lie to me (to make themselves feel better) about what was in my food... I see that as a huge betrayal. I have a pretty nasty peanut allergy and would not be happy if you lied about that, if only for a short time before I died. Why do you think I would be happy about you lying about dead animal in my food?
I think the only sensible response is "Vegetable stock is vegetarian: It won't kill you to use a different ingredient sometimes."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:43 am 

Another peeve: All the signs in our school bathrooms that say "Paper towels come from trees. Use less!" That's great, but why is my school so concerned about using less trees, but not about using less animals? It bothers me that there is such a strong connection in people's mind that paper=tress, but not meat=animals.
I'm starting a student group for vegetarians/vegans and i want to try to get signs in dining halls that say "Meat comes from dead animals. Eat less!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:16 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

pixel wrote:

arrgh, that sucks. One of the comments was of course complaining about all the people who have special dietary restrictions now and how hard it is to cater to all of them, which I get is annoying, I really do. It just sucks that people view veganism as just another fad diet that they have to cater to.

Sometimes I hate being vegan just because I don't want people to think I'm just some picky trendy crasshole. I shouldn't care of course, but I do.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:00 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Hell's bells. If it's that difficult for this guy to avoid using chicken broth, just don't have vegetarians over for dinner.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:04 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

And really, if you're that torn up about it, go get some "chicken" vegetable bouillon. The McCormick's ones I use are really good.

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:49 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I think he's probably solved the problem of having to cook dinner for vegetarians ever again..

My peeve: when you're eating pistachios in their shells, and you come across one where the shell hasn't split open and you can't get the nut out to eat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:03 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i save those pistachios up and then crack them with pliers, and they taste better than all the other pistachios.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:03 pm 

missdelaney wrote:
annabazoo wrote:

THIS. YES.
I am so tired of people seeking my validation and being hurt that I'm not giving it. How many times can I possibly say, "I don't give a shiitake about your diet. This is my lifestyle choice; I'm obviously not going to agree with you on any level."

ALL OF THIS EVER.
i try to be "the cool vegan", the one who doesn't care if you tear into a fleshy mass for your dinner right in front of me, who will simply smile and say "okay, then" when you insist we need to make 2 pizzas, because one absolutely NEEDS cheese, etc. but if i wasn't so polite, dammit... i feel like i can't really get angry, because honestly, i don't care what you eat; i mean, you're going to eat whatever you want, i'm going to eat whatever i want, and that's that. but it really does bother me when people are like, "oh, i love animals! blah blah", but won't even consider going veg*n, because "i just couldn't give up [meat/dairy/eggs]". it enrages me even more that i can't tell them, "if you care about animals so much, why the fork are you eating them?", because then i'm the jerkface.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:11 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

acr wrote:
i save those pistachios up and take them out in the driveway and smash them with a sledgehammer, and i save all sorts of money on therapy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:59 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

This has probably been mentioned a bunch before, but people making me feel guilty and like I'm a burden for being vegan. I'm in grad school, and today I ran into one of the staff members from the Global Studies center. One of the trips our school hosted last year was a service leaning trip to the Dominican Republic. I went on that trip, and he was also one of the chaperoning staff members. It was at times difficult to find food there because where we stayed provided group meals, but I was as gracious as possible, thanking people for their efforts to help me and not complaining about what there was/wasn't, just that I needed to have something and I'd be fine. So without my saying anything, today he says, "Well, if you're interested in going on the Costa Rica trips there's your food issues...it's really hard for people to prepare things like that and you'd have to take care of your own food." I deal with enough guilt from anxiety and the like, why you gotta give me more for making me feel like I'm just a big inconvenience? I brought whatever snacks I could but there's only so much you could bring on a plane and shopping trips were limited. I did the best I can because I know it can be difficult, but throwing it in my face like it's my fault just makes me sad.

Reply to topic  [ 10597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301 ... 424  Next