| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303 ... 497  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:33 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

UGH. On my way home from school there's a huge billboard for a local Italian restaurant, advertising something called "PigFest," and every time I pass it I am filled with rage and the urge to climb up in the dark of night and spray "IT'S NOT A 'FEST' FOR THE PIGS, ASSH*LES!" across the bottom. GRRR.

The link below contains the image; only click if you're willing to be enraged and/or go to prison with me.

Spoiler: show
http://www.viaitaliantable.com/pigfest/

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:37 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Ruby Rose wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
The top shelf at Sweet Pea has been GF stuff for a long while now. There's still another shelf and 2 cases that are not. And the new croissants are chock full of gluten. And sometimes pesto.

My brain over-filtered, and I was shocked, panda, shocked.

Chock full, I say.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:47 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Oh, and this. I'm thinking about getting a special helmet to contain the mess when my HEAD EXPLODES.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:08 pm 
Saggy Butt

[warning for awful description of an animal being used for food.]

I was at whole foods today. The way this whole foods is set up, if you walk through produce, you end up at the fish counter. The easiest way to get from produce is frozen foods is by passing that counter. I normally just avert my eyes.

Today though as I walked by, there was a huge fish of some sort on ice in the outside display thing. (You know the things that normally have fruit in them? It was that sort of display. The fish was just out in the open.) They were cutting steaks from it and the whole back of the store smelled like fish. It was horrifying.

I normally try to be respectful of other people's food choices, because I've found it's the best way to get them to be respectful and sometimes even curious about mine. I ended up making a face though and running away, because it was just too awful. I didn't have time to compose myself before I turned around and it was right there.

There was a whole line of people waiting to get a piece too. :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Our Whole Foods is set up the same way, and they once posted a photo on Facebook of the fish monger butchering the fish right out there at an endcap in the store. I wanted to comment and say how horrifying and gross and distasteful I found that photo choice, but in this town all I would get is stupidity in return. So I didn't and neither did anyone else (which surprised me, maybe they had the same thought I did though).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:35 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Can I just say flying fish at Pike Place Market here in Seattle? Massively disrespectful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

karichelle, I'm so sorry that you had to deal with this too. It's really sad.

A friend sent me this this satirical rant someone wrote about whole foods that said the place was full of vegans. Clearly not. I miss the vegetarian co-op at home.

tofucheez, I don't even know what to say about the throwing fish. If they were throwing around fruit or veg that I was supposed to eat, I'd be annoyed too. I don't want people playing with my dinner. It's so sad and infuriating to see people do that with fish, which are neither dinner nor toys.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:29 pm 
Grandfathered In

I always want to say, "Wow! Those guys are really good at throwing dead animals around!"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:01 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

FootFace wrote:
I always want to say, "Wow! Those guys are really good at throwing dead animals around!"
Win.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Desdemona wrote:
Oh, and this. I'm thinking about getting a special helmet to contain the mess when my HEAD EXPLODES.

Chutzpah indeed!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Odd thing is, every single employee at WF I have ever had a conversation with has been vegan. Obviously I have never talked to the fishmonger or anyone at the meat or cheese counters, though, so there's that. But the people at CS, the cashiers who sometimes ask me if I've tried things or what I think of the things I'm buying because they're interested in trying them, all vegans.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Never met a vegan working at whole foods.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

Chutzpah indeed!

Wow, love this interviewer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:55 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, in our area, Trader Joe's has some vegans and we have another market with some vegans but WF, I've never met anyone who has said they are vegan. Also, the demographic of the workers at my WFs seems different than other grocery stores in the area, it tends to be older, male (non-white) immigrants (40+). While TJs tends to be mostly younger, white males (40 and younger) and the organic market we go to tends to be a mix of male/female, some immigrants but mostly white, 40 and younger.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

I worked at five different WFs in three different states over the course of 5 years and met tons of vegans working there! Maybe it depends on the city, though. I actually applied at Whole Foods in the first place because the girl I was moving in after I graduated college was vegan and worked there and told me it was a great place to work for vegans, and also, healthcare.

What kind of sucks is that in general, the seafood and meat guys are the most incredibly nice and helpful people ever. They just smell like fish and BBQ and I can't handle being around them. (Once I got asked out by a guy who worked in seafood and I wasn't brave enough to just say no and I went on the date and he still smelled like fish even when he hadn't worked that day!! Awful!) I also hate that you usually can't avoid the seafood counter in stores. It's right between produce and the dairy run for us too and it's awful. Usually the meat counter is pretty tucked away, though, so I never have to see it when I shop.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:41 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

tofucheez wrote:
Can I just say flying fish at Pike Place Market here in Seattle? Massively disrespectful.

This goes to my theory on animal treatment. Kind of tongue in cheek, but also kind of not. "If you wouldn't do it to a human toddler, don't do it to an animal."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:21 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I had KitKats on the brain (I don't even know) and remembered that vegan Q. Bel dark chocolate one, so I randomly looked it up and it's no longer vegan! Apparently they decided the wafer on a CANDY BAR had to be whole grain, and to do that they needed to add egg. The fork?

http://www.qbelfoods.com/products_waferbars.html

Quote:
This was a very difficult choice for us. Making whole grain wafers requires adding Egg Yolk (Free Range) into the wafer batter. We have pushed hard for a way to keep these items vegan, but though we haven’t given up, we still haven’t figured out how.

I hope Go Max Go is working on one. It would probably be better anyway. Hrmph.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:43 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Amy wrote:
I had KitKats on the brain (I don't even know) and remembered that vegan Q. Bel dark chocolate one, so I randomly looked it up and it's no longer vegan! Apparently they decided the wafer on a CANDY BAR had to be whole grain, and to do that they needed to add egg. The fork?

http://www.qbelfoods.com/products_waferbars.html

Quote:
This was a very difficult choice for us. Making whole grain wafers requires adding Egg Yolk (Free Range) into the wafer batter. We have pushed hard for a way to keep these items vegan, but though we haven’t given up, we still haven’t figured out how.

I hope Go Max Go is working on one. It would probably be better anyway. Hrmph.

WHAT. What page is the quote on?

Nevermind, I see now. bullshiitake.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Wow, wrong topic, sorry guys. Blaming it on my phone and anxiety levels :-/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Haha! I thought you had been told your red dye wasn't vegan and were going to ask our opinion on dyeing it with beets.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:45 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

sweet_potato wrote:
Wow, wrong topic, sorry guys. Blaming it on my phone and anxiety levels :-/

Moved it to the hair thread. Carry on!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:08 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

aelle wrote:
Haha! I thought you had been told your red dye wasn't vegan and were going to ask our opinion on dyeing it with beets.

Lol!

And thanks mrsbadmouth :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've seen more than once now, Anupy Singla referring to herself as "vegan-ish" and "almost vegan." I know that she at least eats honey and occasionally dairy. I love her Vegan Indian Cooking book, but why can't she just call herself vegetarian? When I was eating dairy, I didn't eat it every day or super frequently, but that doesn't mean I was "vegan-ish."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:17 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Fabric belts that would otherwise be vegan except for leather on the buckle.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:18 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I went to a family gathering this weekend with family I have not seen in almost 10 years. Naturally, food came up. My mom who is super supportive of me indicated that I eat vegan. After a few asked the normal 'what do you eat questions' my cousin countered with a snotty 'well, how long have you been on this *DIET* of yours, I'm on a new diet too'. I really do not know how I kept my mouth shut but I quickly changed the subject. Why is it when you mention the word 'vegan' people become almost hostile at times? Its very sad. Though I have so say my mom just kept going on for a bit about all the cupcakes I make her and 'oh btw, you haven't made any in awhile'. That made me feel better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303 ... 497  Next