| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 426  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:05 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Being lied to about what is in food. By people I am talking to face to face and very politely.

Um... no thank you. I ask because I don't want to eat it... not because I am going to lecture you about it.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

bunniee wrote:
daisychain wrote:
Considering my lactose intolerance is so severe to react to the lactose in medication I would be pretty mad to discover it in soy cheese!

Which soy cheeses have lactose? I've seen soy and almond cheeses that contain casein but are labeled lactose free, which seems weird to me. If someone is lactose intolerant, why not just get vegan cheese.

The casein makes is gooey or whatever. I wouldn't know from personal experience, since I'm allergic to milk protein anyway. The lactose in tablets isn't exactly a trace amount though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:11 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I often get told that I don't 'look vegan'. Uh, ok. Draw me a picture please? Haha. Someone told me that vegans don't have fake boobs, therefore, I am not really vegan. Wait what? (mine are real, but thanks for bringing up the fact that apparently you stare at them all the time.)

I also get told that I am not skinny enough to be a vegan. Ouch. Followed up with "I mean that in a good way! You don't look like a vegan, y'know?". no...apparently I don't.

Also, I hate if I tell someone I am vegan (usually if they ask, because I have been told that it is rude to bring it up, it makes people uncomfortable, so I stay pretty quite about it) they start talking about how AWSOME steak is and meat and stuff.

I recently had someone over for dinner (channa masala) and they kept telling me how much better it would be with chicken and cheese on it. Even my omni partner was like "dafuq is wrong with you?"

Wow. Reading this made me realize that the people I am around are jerkholes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:16 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I guess, in general, I don't like to have someone else introduce my dietary preferences to a person that is new to me. It's my business, not anyone else's. And, if they need to know, I'll tell them. Otherwise, they can just listen to me babble about how much I like Mediterranean food and think that I'm "too" into falafel. I'd prefer to let people slowly learn via a period of spaced comments (e.g. "No, I don't eat seafood." "No, I'm not a fan of red meat." "Yeah, I don't need any cake that involves saturated fats. I'll just forego it or make my own once I get home.").

For some reason--maybe just because they get to know me better as a whole person--this method helps people not make a bunch of stupid comments when the full extent of my preferences are revealed.

DreamerSpirit wrote:
I hate when my friends decide to meet up at a restaurant, then tell me that they took me into account when choosing the place because said restaurant has salad. Really? First off, pretty much all restaurants have salad, even shitty fast food places. Second off, I don't generally consider salad to be a meal, as it tends to not be filling enough for me.
Alas, family members too.

coldandsleepy wrote:
I hate when people assume that vegan means you don't like flavors/only eat super healthy shiitake with no salt or fat or seasoning. Bland food is sad, no matter what your diet is.
YES! I want to shove a vegan, sugar-dipped doughnut in their mouth! Shut your mouth and be disproved!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:13 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Here's my latest vegan pet peeve: restaurant menus that list "tapioca cheese" instead of just saying Daiya. Don't try to trick me into buying your $16 nachos, Candle Cafe.

Oh my god, yes. I had an experience at a vegan restaurant in another city (which I think I will refrain from naming) where I tasted something and was like "Oh, they used Daiya on this." Whatever. Then the owner of the restaurant came over to greet our table, ask if everything was ok etc. and one of the other people in my party asked something like "What is this cheese made of?" And the owner launched into this whole thing about how they painstakingly craft their homemade tapioca cheese, blah blah blah.... um, no. I've eaten Daiya enough times to know exactly what it looks/tastes/smells like, and that was Daiya. The food tasted good, but making up some stupid shiitake to make your food sound more fancy is irritating. On a similar note, there is a local restaurant in Brooklyn which was guilty of saying "soy cheese" on the menu but it's definitely Daiya. I think they may have changed the menu to say "vegan cheese" recently though, which I appreciate. I don't especially love or hate Daiya, but truth in advertising, people!

8ball wrote:
When people assume gluten-free means vegan.

Yeah, I always thought that it was weird/made no sense, but I have been asked several times "How is vegan different than gluten-free?" One time an acquaintance was organizing a brunch, and she emailed me to confirm that I was vegan, because she had heard that and would make vegan muffins if it was true, which was very nice of her. Then she asked if I knew if anyone else on the invite list was gluten-free. How would I know that? Do people with special diets communicate telepathically or something?

Gulliver wrote:
Only vegans eat tofu. If anyone else eats tofu, they will immediately die. Only vegans are immune. Also, there are no vegans of average or higher weight. We all lie around languidly fantasising about bacon and eating tofu.

That's so true. In fact, I'm already dead because I dared to eat some tofu pre-vegan, but I forever haunt the earth on my quest for bacon.

Chicki wrote:
I also get told that I am not skinny enough to be a vegan. Ouch. Followed up with "I mean that in a good way! You don't look like a vegan, y'know?". no...apparently I don't.

I've been told I don't look vegan either, because I'm not slim or "sickly-looking". I should stop eating everything but calorie-controlled portions of Doritos so I can keep up my "vegan" appearance.

OK, here's my biggest peeve at the moment: People who assume that if you're vegan, you ONLY eat vegetables. I've found this more true amongst the parents' generation (they're in their 60s). On one hand, if they're not being dicks and are truly just clueless about it you can't really fault them, and should just teach them about a few vegan dishes that are not solely consisted of vegetables. But it still gets really frustrating at family gatherings, especially when some distant uncle or whatever is like "Gosh, I don't know what to make if we can ONLY have vegetables! It would be so much easier if we could have something other than VEGETABLES!" etc etc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:08 pm 
Naked Under Apron

"Oh you're vegan! THAT'S why you're so thin!"

No, I am thin because this is the way my body is shaped, not because I am vegan. Idiot.

Edit: Here is another one.

"If I were vegan I would starve!"
My usual reply: "Well, gee, we sure don't need you starving to death!"

"I'd be vegan, but there's meat EVERYWHERE!"
No shiitake, sherlock.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:14 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

AutumnLeaves wrote:

No, I am thin because this is the way my body is shaped, not because I am vegan. Idiot.

whenever i tell someone i'm vegan, their eyebrows shoot up as they ask "REALLY?!?" and look me up and down. then there is a moment of uncomfortable silence, because we both know that 100% of that reaction was due to my being insufficiently skinny/malnourished. like, "really? you don't look like someone who eats nothing but tofu and undressed lettuce."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:41 pm 
Huffs Nooch

The manfriend and I are going out of town for work and our host organization booked us into a b&b. I emailed the owner , telling him we where vegan and asking if if would be possible to get a soy or other plant milk for our breakfast cereal and tea and he said no! This is in a major city and we are staying there 9 nights. I'm dumbfounded that with the bill for our stay being just short of a grand they can't bother to pick up a container of soymilk for us.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:19 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Also, I had someone I was once on a first date with tell me that they "don't trust vegetarians". Umm... what? Why?

"I JUST DON'T."

Ok...

EllaGuru wrote:
The manfriend and I are going out of town for work and our host organization booked us into a b&b. I emailed the owner , telling him we where vegan and asking if if would be possible to get a soy or other plant milk for our breakfast cereal and tea and he said no! This is in a major city and we are staying there 9 nights. I'm dumbfounded that with the bill for our stay being just short of a grand they can't bother to pick up a container of soymilk for us.

That's ridiculous. But then again, that extra 50 cents and five minutes in the market might be what plunges their business into bankruptcy. I would make sure to mention that exchange in any reviews you might happen to leave for this B&B.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:35 pm 
WELFARIST!

Limone wrote:
That's ridiculous. But then again, that extra 50 cents and five minutes in the market might be what plunges their business into bankruptcy. I would make sure to mention that exchange in any reviews you might happen to leave for this B&B.

Yeah, seriously. I'd want to know about something like that prior to booking with a place. I can't believe they said no. Most places wouldn't mind getting maybe one or two cartons if only to get your business again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Limone wrote:

OK, here's my biggest peeve at the moment: People who assume that if you're vegan, you ONLY eat vegetables. I've found this more true amongst the parents' generation (they're in their 60s). On one hand, if they're not being dicks and are truly just clueless about it you can't really fault them, and should just teach them about a few vegan dishes that are not solely consisted of vegetables. But it still gets really frustrating at family gatherings, especially when some distant uncle or whatever is like "Gosh, I don't know what to make if we can ONLY have vegetables! It would be so much easier if we could have something other than VEGETABLES!" etc etc

I have this coworker who I think is one of those people intrigued by the whole "plant-based" thing and knows I am vegan, but I don't think she's ever considered that a lot of people are vegan for animal rights reasons. the other day she starts talking to me about trying to eat more plant-based and then is like "Why do so many vegetarians eat so many grains, and not enough vegetables? They are missing all the healthy benefits" or some such thing, and I was like, "Well, a lot of people are vegetarian/vegan for animals so..."

I didn't really know what to say, I mean yeah veggies are healthy, but I'm not going around tracking how many veggies people eat or anything. And grains aren't bad for you anyway so, what?

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

Quarantined wrote:
And grains aren't bad for you anyway so, what?

There's a portion of plant-based and/or raw foodists who believe that people shouldn't be eating grains because they're bad for us.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

There's a portion of plant-based and/or raw foodists who believe that people shouldn't be eating grains because they're bad for us.

right, I'm sure that was where she was coming from with that remark, but I just didn't even know where to start in replying to it so I just sort of gave up.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:43 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

AutumnLeaves wrote:

I get this one a lot. I usually respond that my sister is about my size, isn't vegan, and pretty much exclusively eats junk food.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:44 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

quark wrote:
I hate that google assumes vegan = vegetarian. If you really want vegan search results, you have to put it in quotes. Fork you, google, they're not the same thing!

This one gets me, too! Argh!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:45 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

"I made brownies. I only used egg white, so you can eat them!" No, egg whites aren't vegan.

"You know, it takes a lot of water and electricity to make 'fake meat'. You're hurting the environment just as much as a meat eater!" I've, um, never really investigated the environmental impact of, say, Boca Burgers. I guess I should do my homework on this but it still irritates me.

"Just pick off the cheese/bacon/egg/blood/hooves." Would you just 'pick off' a turd if you found one in your salad?

"Are you mad at me for eating meat?" No. I'm really not paying attention to what my coworkers eat.

"But whey/casein/lactose isn't milk, it just come from milk." Duh.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Having to pay with a Starbucks card to get free soymilk. What the hell is that about, honestly? I guess we will know we have gained true equality when there's a self-serve carafe of soymilk sitting next to the dairy milk and cream. Maybe someday?

Forking half and half is free at Starbucks, and it's more expensive than soymilk! Come on!!

Last edited by ashley on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:38 pm 
Inflexitarian

On the plus side, watching my lattes drop $1.10 in price when I pay with my card is pretty thrilling.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:41 pm 
Semen Strong

They should have cold soy at the bar, unless you're in a B&N starbucks.

I paid full freight the other day for iced coffee with soy at a B&N. Generally I get the soy free and its $2.70 and this time it was $3.60. For stupid cold soy. But then my kid tipped the ice all over the carpet and I feel like the extra $0.60 was my cleaning fee.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have never, ever seen soy at the milk bar! Ever!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:46 pm 
Semen Strong

Its not in a carafe, you have to ask for it from the barista and the phrase is "soy at the bar." But it is free to get cold soy, at least here in the NJ/NY area (unless you're in a B&N). They charge $0.60 for warm soy thought which is a freaking rip-off and the reason I have my Sbux gold card.

And for even more money savings, I've bought instant coffee from TJ's and add a bit of cocoa, ice and almond milk and make my ice coffee that way and it is freaking delicious. $4 for the whole bottle of instant as opposed to one grande.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Well, that's brand new information to me. Thanks, Tofulish! I still feel like I shouldn't have to ask for it. Like they're trying to ration it or something. It's not that special.

Lately I've been making frappuccinos with instant coffee and cocoa powder in the blender. I'm not happy with the cheapo instant coffee I bought, though. I will try TJ's when I'm done with the stuff I have now. Do you know if they have decaf?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:53 pm 
Semen Strong

They did, but the mustards discontinued it! I loved the decaf (sad face).

I know its supposedly sacrilegious to be okay with instant, but its instant Colombian so a bit less bitter and Starbucks coffee doesn't taste that great anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I chose vegan a year ago, at about the same time I had lost quite a bit of weight for my already thin frame. This of course prompted ideas about why I became a vegan. My friends are constantly saying, "well it's easy for you to be thin, you don't understand how hard it is for us. We actually can eat things!"

Also having to deal with people tell you about all their food you just really don't give an F about. They know I'm vegan too. My boyfriend has a few friends who literally can ONLY talk about food with me. It's like they see me and they start talking about nutrition and food. I honestly think they have some eating disordered behavior, but that's beyond the point.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:00 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

Right, or people who are avoiding carbs. I'm not trying to diss low-carb diets because I really don't know anything about them, but the point is more that in all the jumble of marketing hype regurgitated by people who also don't know anything about nutrition, vegan = healthy, healthy = low cal/weight loss, weight loss = low carb, low carb = avoid certain grains, grains = bad, eating grains = bad bad vegan not healthy!

ashley wrote:
Having to pay with a Starbucks card to get free soymilk. What the hell is that about, honestly? I guess we will know we have gained true equality when there's a self-serve carafe of soymilk sitting next to the dairy milk and cream. Maybe someday?

Forking half and half is free at Starbucks, and it's more expensive than soymilk! Come on!!

Well, to be fair, many indie coffee shops just put a carafe of soy milk right out on the mixing station with the other dairy crepe. Starbucks is THE MAN. The stupidest thing about Starbucks' scheme is that you have to buy five drinks before you get the free soy, right? If you register the stupid card to your name then you should just get it right away.

Reply to topic  [ 10639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 426  Next