| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305 ... 494  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:13 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:30 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I feel like that about having had a stillbirth. Every time I mention veganism to people who know it happened, I imagine the cogs in their head going "so that's the reason why!". Even though probably they're not thinking that at all. But it's such a painful thing to happen that people don't tend to talk about it, but because it's unusual ( I think something like 1 in 900) it'll be something that sticks in peoples minds. And veganism is unusual too, but I hate feeling like I can't talk about either one in case people put two and two together and make pineapple.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:21 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Forks Over Knives posted yet another 'cancer cured with diet' article about a woman who had breast cancer, watched FOK right before her surgery to remove the tumors from her breasts, and decided to forgo chemo after her surgery. Meaning, she still had the surgery which removed the cancer. Diet didn't cure shiitake. I unliked the page because I can't take that crepe anymore.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:14 pm 

*Screams loudly*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:48 pm 

So, should I just shut up about it then? Does any misfortune that is completely unrelated to veganism but still might make us look bad to ignorant people need to be kept quiet? I guess that's my vegan pet peeve at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:20 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry for your loss dropscone, and for the fact that you feel like you can't mention it without feeling like you're being blamed even a little bit, if people attribute it to your veganism. I know two people who have had stillbirths, and the one thing that the medical professionals seem to repeat is that its no one's fault and there was just no way to avoid them.

But yes, its horrible for people to blame people who are already suffering for their own misfortune. And its really offensive when people don't want to hear about any cases that disprove their "selling points" that veganism cures cancer, because it ends up really isolating people who need support.

Sending lots of good thoughts to you <3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:33 pm 

Thanks Tofulish. It's something that's really been bothering me. I've felt like there's pressure from certain people ( not on here, but people I knew a while back) to be a "good example" and I may have bought into it too much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:44 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Dropscone....sorry a very difficult situation was made even more so by other's insensitivity.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just wrote a screed about how natural foods stores tend to attract really rude, entitled people but then I thought about how many rude people I've encountered at the big chain grocery stores, too. We're really lucky to have a Trader Joe's, Sprouts, and a Whole Foods within 3 city blocks of each other, but I never ever go into them because it just cranks up my social anxiety like woah. The Whole Foods down the block from my apartment just opened yesterday and there were major traffic jams down the street from people trying to get in, they had WF employees in the parking lot directing traffic, and I almost got creamed while walking my dog last night by someone trying to cut off another car to get into the parking lot first.

I would like to think that these places are extra special annoying because they're really small inside and are not laid out very well, but I don't know. I feel like I deal with a higher concentration of entitled buttheads at these places than elsewhere. It sucks, because these stores are also super vegan friendly so I'd like to go there rather than Safeway but I just can't deal with the patrons. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:22 pm 
WRETCHED

New stores to the area will sometimes do that, I'd let it chill out for a while. My Safeway is horrid so I never go there, the people are the rudest I've ever seen. My WF isn't so bad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:47 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

We have a market here (Market of Choice). Two of them are okay. The one by campus is HORRID. So much entitlement and stupidity in too small a space. And the largest store is a nightmare. The parking lot is dangerous. Nobody even looks when they back out.
But they do have the best bulk section.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:11 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Our local WF is great inside, but the parking is split into a small surface lot and a larger amount of parking on the roof. Usually the surface lot is full but there's plenty of space on the roof (but you need to drive through the surface lot to get to the ramp).

Nevertheless, people will wait for a car to pull out for like five minutes on the surface lot just so they don't have to take the 30 extra seconds to drive up on the roof. It's not one of those narrow curvy ramps that you always feel like you're going to take paint off your car in, so I don't get what the problem is. Just go to the @#$%ing roof people Instead traffic into Whole Foods backs up down the street because everyone's waiting for somebody to pull out and leave a spot.

Oh, and my other pet peeve? On the roof EVERY SINGLE SPOT is labeled "compact" except the handicapped ones. Clearly everyone ignores it, but it drives me mad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:23 pm 

annak wrote:
On the roof EVERY SINGLE SPOT is labeled "compact" except the handicapped ones.

This is why I try to only go there between 9a and 10a when there are surface spots. I'll pay to park at a meter before going to the roof. But I won't wait for someone to back out. That makes me crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:24 pm 

BUT. They stopped having peanut butter fudge, so I am despondent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

couroupita wrote:
I would like to think that these places are extra special annoying because they're really small inside and are not laid out very well, but I don't know. I feel like I deal with a higher concentration of entitled buttheads at these places than elsewhere. It sucks, because these stores are also super vegan friendly so I'd like to go there rather than Safeway but I just can't deal with the patrons. What do you guys think?

Have you ever been to Berkeley Bowl? I'm not sure if it counts as natural foods but I feel like it sort of does because of the produce and the bulk sections. The original location (well, it's like the second location but whatever) is a freaking nightmare. It is pretty small - though nothing compared to the actual first location - and I finally got tired of being run over by shopping carts, elbowed and nearly mowed down in the parking lot after a few years. I would go sometimes at opening to try and avoid the crush and there would already be a line of people waiting. It was nuts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:29 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

madeleine.teacup wrote:
couroupita wrote:

Have you ever been to Berkeley Bowl? I'm not sure if it counts as natural foods but I feel like it sort of does because of the produce and the bulk sections. The original location (well, it's like the second location but whatever) is a freaking nightmare. It is pretty small - though nothing compared to the actual first location - and I finally got tired of being run over by shopping carts, elbowed and nearly mowed down in the parking lot after a few years. I would go sometimes at opening to try and avoid the crush and there would already be a line of people waiting. It was nuts.

Yes! I think I've been to both locations. Is the one near Adeline the first? I went there with lobsteriffic and nothingtosay once and it was bananas. The other one I went to was a little better but was still pretty stressful. We're thinking of moving to Oakland soon and everyone tells me how great it will be to live closer to BB but I don't think I'd be able to do my regular shopping there. It's too much for my poor brain to handle.

I hope it's just novelty about this new store and not an indication of things to come. The TJ's near us is my personal hell and it's been there since 2005. I miss my hometown natural foods store that was full of stoner surfers and old hippies.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:59 am 
Saggy Butt

A Trader Joes opened up here last week and I thought it would be an awesome idea to go opening morning. Honestly I find that the WFs and other natural foods stores here usually have pretty nice shoppers, but the TJs is in the rich part of town where we go for baby swimming lessons and every time a person in a BMW will almost kill us in the parking lot. People were insane and it was such an awful experience! I think I'm too traumatized to go back.

When I lived in Chicago every single WF had a parking lot that was just a nightmare. We didn't even have a car, we shopped with a bike trailer, but it was still traumatic to park the bikes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:28 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

dropscone wrote:
Thanks Tofulish. It's something that's really been bothering me. I've felt like there's pressure from certain people ( not on here, but people I knew a while back) to be a "good example" and I may have bought into it too much.

Screw being a good example. You're living your ethics and being a kind, nice person. You don't owe anyone anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:00 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

madeleine.teacup wrote:

Have you ever been to Berkeley Bowl?

Does it smell like fish really bad? My friend said I would not like it due to the fish smell...

I like the WF on Bay Place...It is roomy out of all the WF I have been to it has the most space.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:21 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

couroupita wrote:
madeleine.teacup wrote:
couroupita wrote:

Yes! I think I've been to both locations. Is the one near Adeline the first? I went there with lobsteriffic and nothingtosay once and it was bananas.

It was a mad house!!

I find pretty much any grocery store I go to is full of rude jerks. I tend to get irritated more at the health food store near me, but that's because they have tiny aisles. When I lived near a TJ's, it was always crazy busy, no matter what time of day I went.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:28 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I have never been to a Trader Joe's and actually enjoyed it. The game was always to grab what I wanted and get out ASAP.

I shop at the grocery store all the way on the other side of town because that's the one that has non-dairy yogurt, but it's also the biggest and quietest. It's mostly old people during the day, so I can stroll around and not wig out. There's one about two minutes from my house, but I have yet to find a time when it's not busy and crowded (and the one by the college sells Daiya and other college kid stuff, so the one closest to me is actually my last choice).

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:43 am 
WRETCHED

I think we are lucky in that our Trader Joe's doesn't sell alcohol so that the aisles are wider, it is less crowded and what not than any Trader Joe's I've been to that sells alcohol. The reason I don't like Trader Joe's is their produce sucks.

I'm trying to warm up to Wegman's and even though I went there at 8am yesterday and no one was there, It is still too big for me. My husband and I normally go grocery shopping on Saturday's at a store that is about 10 miles away but I know my husband doesn't care for grocery shopping so I'm trying to see if switching to Wegman's will free up some of our weekend time. Whole Foods isn't exactly close to us either but it is close to my husband's work (like TJ's) so if I need something, he'll swing by there after work.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:44 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I actually try to avoid my TJ's because of the layout. There could be 5 people in the store and it feels packed. I think its because they have slanty aisles? If things were more perfectly parallel and perpendicular it would be less stressful. (Lordy, that sounds like a PSPTYHWAEPACTYP whine if I ever heard one.) However, the people in TJ's are the most normal, to me. And other TJ's I've been to don't seem to have the same slanty aisles. I'm jealous of those with non-slanty-aisled TJ's.

The Whole Foods set is usually ok but there is always one self-important dick and another that is just... odd. Like my last trip, there was a couple that picked up all the produce, squeezed, examined, and never bought anything. In fact I saw them in the aisles and they were just picking up packages and putting them back. No basket or cart. I was puzzled.

The normal grocery store doesn't bother me because I just shop the produce and the natural aisle, and hardly anyone's there. They are all crammed in the butcher section.

The small grocery store I usually go to is unfortunately full of people that do things like park their cart in the middle of the aisle while they wander somewhere else to read the scone ingredient list or whatever. And the less crowded it is, the more oblivious they seem to be for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:54 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

dropscone wrote:
So, should I just shut up about it then? Does any misfortune that is completely unrelated to veganism but still might make us look bad to ignorant people need to be kept quiet? I guess that's my vegan pet peeve at the moment.

Of course not. shiitake happens in life, every day, to lots of different kinds of people. Life's not fair, there is no karma, and people don't get what they "deserve" (that word is my pet peeve). If people are trying to make you feel bad because you're a vegan who had a stillbirth, they are ridiculous. If they think you shouldn't talk it about because it makes vegans look bad, then they are ridiculous. The two aren't related. If they are not comfortable with their own mortality and the fact that the same shiitake could happen to them, regardless of diet, it is not your fault.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:02 am 
WRETCHED

pandacookie wrote:
dropscone wrote:

Of course not. shiitake happens in life, every day, to lots of different kinds of people. Life's not fair, there is no karma, and people don't get what they "deserve" (that word is my pet peeve). If people are trying to make you feel bad because you're a vegan who had a stillbirth, they are ridiculous. If they think you shouldn't talk it about because it makes vegans look bad, then they are ridiculous. The two aren't related. If they are not comfortable with their own mortality and the fact that the same shiitake could happen to them, regardless of diet, it is not your fault.

Word. There is some people out there that seem to believe that if you do everything "perfect" then your life will be "perfect" but that isn't how it is. If they are fortunate not to have had bad things happen to them then they are lucky, it isn't because they are vegan or they drink wheatgrass or they do yoga every morning.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305 ... 494  Next