| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307 ... 475  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:55 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Well I had an interesting encounter the other day, not too peevy though:

I was at the dentist and all the sudden while getting my teeth cleaned, she says how she heard that soy is so bad for you--it poisons babies--processed/unprocessed--why do they still sell it--blahblahblah. Mind you, I've never discussed being a vegan or anything like that with her and it was just out of the blue. So many things rushed into my head..."Weston Price Foundation Scam", "Everything in moderation/balanced diet", "It's a BEAN!", etc. So I tried to reply with my standard retorts but the suction thingie prevented me! I did my best with hand gesture and random nasal sounds. When she finished I pretended it never happened but she brought it up again! So I did my spiel about different types of soy products, alternatives, medical studies I've read. She thought that was cool and all but then she asked, incredulously, why soy is still in baby formulas. I looked over to the side, shrugged my shoulders, and said "Well, you know, breast is best."

...Why did I say that?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:30 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

monkeytoes wrote:
We went to a pub for dinner tonight and they had a section on their menu called 'semi-veggie sandwiches' which is maybe the most meaningless thing ever. I get what they were getting at... there was a garden burger and a falafel sammich and three fish sammiches. Everybody know that fish is 'semi-veggie,' right? Because of all those 'vegetarians' who eat fish.

That's why they call tuna "the eggplant of the sea".

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:01 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
Puppies are really great at guarding houses. Nothing strikes fear in the heart of an intruder faster than a tiny puppy. They might worry about slipping in his wee.
Or s/he might lick them to death.

This reminded me of the classic cheesy '70s TV "thriller," Devil Dog: the Hound of Hell, in which everyone is inexplicably terrified of an adorable (but apparently satanic) German Shepherd puppy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMwAR9YL8tk

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Aren't devil dogs a type of snack cake?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:54 am 
Flounceiad 2011

rachell37 wrote:
Aren't devil dogs a type of snack cake?
Yes! That was part of what made it so funny; I remember my mom predicting that the sequel would be Twinkie: Tortoiseshell Cat of Terror or summat.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:07 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

annak wrote:
My peeve is restaurants that give you a choice of meat A, meat B, or tofu, and then you order the tofu and it is silken tofu, not fried, not really seasoned. Most recently I was hungry at Disneyland and while there is very good food available, the pan-Asian place on the pacific pier made me a TERRIBLE dish. mandarin sauce (OKish) over silken tofu and what seemed to be reheated frozen veg, all over rice. Yawn. I wonder if the meateater food is any better and they're just making people think tofu is terrible, or if it's all bad and they are inexplicably still in business despite serving bad food?

Yes! This and also making a garden burger the veg option. It's fine if the garden burger is replacing a hamburger, but why are you putting it on spaghetti or in a taco? So so lazy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:43 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

i find it odd that we go to a veg place that serves mostly everything vegan, if it is not marked with a * - then it is vegan. so only ordering vegan items they still bring them out with non-vegan sides...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:33 pm 
Semen Strong

Facebook conversation that happens way too often:

Vegan: Look at this yummy recipe!
Selfstyled food expert (generally Paleo or Weston Price fan): That looks great! But just remember that non-organic/gluten/agave/HFCS/soy/processed food/oil/GMO/carageenan has been proven to be really really really bad for you.
Vegan: Well, that isn't really true. Everything in moderation and all that.
Food expert: Read these articles and make up your own mind! [links to horribly biased sources like Mercola/Natural News/Food Renegade] See, its proven that [anything that isn't organic, non-GMO veggies, grassfed meat, butter or fermented codliver oil] will kill you. Just trying to help you.
Vegan: Well, thanks for that. As long as its vegan, I am happy to eat it.
Food expert: GOD, why are all vegans so sanctimonious?

I think that the WAPF and paleo people just try and kill veganism by the death of a thousand cuts. They often don't attack veganism directly, but they try and discredit more and more of the food we eat until you're left with a very limited universe of food you don't have to be afraid of. But of course, if you ever point out the large body of evidence that grassfed beef and butter aren't good for you, then you're the jerk.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:29 am 
Nailed to the V

My husband and I had Sunday brunch with some business associate connections of his. We went to a local place where I have been and where I know they gladly change some menu offerings to ensure that I can eat them.

So along with my plate of food I get queries from a couple of these people as to what difference do I think eating vegan makes and then the same 'lack of protein' comment ... I point out that I have been working full time here in England for 16 years and have missed only 3 days of work so feel confident that I am not deprived of anything essential in my diet while my dear husband who has heard this query of me countless times just smiles.

I would not have been annoyed had their comments held any indication of interest rather a dismissive sneer ... it is the tone that makes the music ... but you have all had this experience ...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:47 am 

the person who wanted a terminal illness to prove eating vegan can cure it was trying to equate a guy making fun of her veganisim to racism...tupid stupid stupid...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:38 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Tofulish wrote:
Puppies are really great at guarding houses. Nothing strikes fear in the heart of an intruder faster than a tiny puppy. They might worry about slipping in his wee.

This made me laugh so much!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Tofulish wrote:

This made me laugh so much! But then the rest of your post was sad. I hope they find they can manage a puppy and a small child.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:21 am 
Not NOT A Furry

dropscone wrote:
Blah. I should just stop worrying about what other people might be thinking.

You should, because there is no reason to believe they are thinking anything negative at all. I can confirm that what lepelaar said is true, you are the sort of person people can't help warming towards and they are probably only thinking good things. Those that know anything about your bereavement and health issues are, I'm sure, only feeling compassion for you.

lepelaar wrote:
You're one of the sweetest, most compassionate people I've ever met, dropscone, and it makes me angry that anyone made you feel this way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:16 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Youse guys, I'm out of nooch. I tried to order more on amazon but it was inexplicably marked "undeliverable." I was going to pick some up at the store today but I forgot until I got home.

So my pet peeve is when you run out of stuff that you NEVER run out of, right, so you don't even think about it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:18 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm peeved that the Kroger I like to go to has been out of Earth Balance for over a week and they've stopped selling Daiya. I hope they don't stop selling EB, because that's the only vegan margarine they carry (I actually looked today since I needed some). They have the coconut spread, but it's not the same :(

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

^^^ my local Kroger is really good about responding to requests. have you asked them if they could continue carrying it?

my vegan pet peeve is the other day i was w/ my bf and his mom and his mom made us some noochy popcorn, which is AWESOME, but then i noticed this weird white stuff in it and asked his mom what it was and she said, "oh, it's just a little cheese." my bf was way more pissed than i was-- probably bc it was his parent-- i just made some more popcorn. i mean, it was sweet that she was trying to share popcorn with us.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:18 pm 

we all want to support vegan business/services right? what if you write an article for a vegan magazine, never get paid, ask them about the $, they say 30 days, it has been 60 and now they ignore you. would you out them?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:28 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

missmuffcake wrote:
we all want to support vegan business/services right? what if you write an article for a vegan magazine, never get paid, ask them about the $, they say 30 days, it has been 60 and now they ignore you. would you out them?

"Out-ing"them seems way too extreme. Just contact them again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:38 am 
Seagull of the PPK

this is an issue pretty often in my field, and before i open my mouth about anything i search to see if anyone else has been screwed by that particular client (usually there are others).
If there are others, usually, nothing is going to get resolved and it's not worth my time to pursue it (Brazilian libel laws are ridiculous, and even posting on an online blacklist could be grounds for a lawsuit) but if there are no other people complaining, that's a sign that I fell through cracks and need to arrange a physical trip to the office with my invoice and sit there til someone pays me. In the US, I think people send a warning letter and then take it to small claims court or send it to collections.
by outing them you'll feel better but you probably won't get paid, and you'll certainly never get anymore work from them (not that you'd want it).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:39 am 
Seagull of the PPK

this is an issue pretty often in my field, and before i open my mouth about anything i search to see if anyone else has been screwed by that particular client (usually there are others).
If there are others, usually, nothing is going to get resolved and it's not worth my time to pursue it (Brazilian libel laws are ridiculous, and even posting on an online blacklist could be grounds for a lawsuit) but if there are no other people complaining, that's a sign that I fell through cracks and need to arrange a physical trip to the office with my invoice and sit there til someone pays me. In the US, I think people send a warning letter and then take it to small claims court or send it to collections.
by outing them you'll feel better but you probably won't get paid, and you'll certainly never get anymore work from them (not that you'd want it).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:19 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

allularpunk wrote:
I'm peeved that the Kroger I like to go to has been out of Earth Balance for over a week and they've stopped selling Daiya. I hope they don't stop selling EB, because that's the only vegan margarine they carry (I actually looked today since I needed some). They have the coconut spread, but it's not the same :(

Have you looked for the vegan Becel margarine. It's the only kind I buy now. I used to buy the Earth Balance which was found in the Health Food section. Then I noticed in the regular margarine section they have a Becel magerine marked vegan. It's cheaper then Earth Balalnce and in my opinion tastes better and has a smoother/creamier texture.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:26 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

brontrent wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Have you looked for the vegan Becel margarine. It's the only kind I buy now. I used to buy the Earth Balance which was found in the Health Food section. Then I noticed in the regular margarine section they have a Becel magerine marked vegan. It's cheaper then Earth Balalnce and in my opinion tastes better and has a smoother/creamier texture.

I don't think Becel is sold in the US.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:28 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, I checked all the margarines in the regular section, and no go. I'll try asking them about it!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:17 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Years ago I remember the only dairy-free margarine available was Fleischman's. I have no idea if it still is, and things are often different in Canada - does anyone in the US know?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:24 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've never seen Fleischmann's or Becel in the US, but isn't there a SKU of Smart Balance that's vegan and sold at most regular grocery stores?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307 ... 475  Next