| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308 ... 481  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:34 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:26 pm
Posts: 727
Location: Baltimore/Washington
Yes, i think there is one Smart Balance that doesn't have dairy. I can't tell you which one though.

_________________
lack toast intolerant: intolerant of not having toast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:38 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4804
Location: WV
Smart Balance has milk and D3 in it. My friend buys a vegan margarine at Kroger (but apparently not the one I'm going to). Just texted her to find out the brand because I can't remember it.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:41 am 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 820
Location: Seattle, WA
Yep, unless they've changed something recently, there is definitely a version of Smart Balance that is vegan. It should say vegan right on the back. We use to buy it before switching to Earth Balance. Just a warning though, it tastes super margrine-y and fake to me, so don't expect it to taste as much like butter as EB does.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:42 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4804
Location: WV
Simply_Love wrote:
Yep, unless they've changed something recently, there is definitely a version of Smart Balance that is vegan. It should say vegan right on the back. We use to buy it before switching to Earth Balance. Just a warning though, it tastes super margrine-y and fake to me, so don't expect it to taste as much like butter as EB does.


Ah yes, upon further searching it seems that their organic one is vegan.

ETA: and the one with flax oil.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:05 am 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3936
Location: Austin
mandycoot wrote:
I've never seen Fleischmann's or Becel in the US, but isn't there a SKU of Smart Balance that's vegan and sold at most regular grocery stores?

Smart Balance light buttery spread with flaxseed oil is vegan.


http://smartbalance.com/products/butter ... pread-flax


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:07 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6317
Location: Boston, MA
I remember Fleischmann's, do they no longer sell it in the US? It was like, grandma butter. Like Blue Bonnet or Country Crock.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:08 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4804
Location: WV
ndpittman wrote:
I remember Fleischmann's, do they no longer sell it in the US? It was like, grandma butter. Like Blue Bonnet or Country Crock.


Grandma butter.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:17 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6317
Location: Boston, MA
allularpunk wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
I remember Fleischmann's, do they no longer sell it in the US? It was like, grandma butter. Like Blue Bonnet or Country Crock.


Grandma butter.


She'll bust your asparagus, too! Believe.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:52 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4804
Location: WV
ndpittman wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
I remember Fleischmann's, do they no longer sell it in the US? It was like, grandma butter. Like Blue Bonnet or Country Crock.


Grandma butter.


She'll bust your asparagus, too! Believe.


Did your grandma ever smack you with a wooden spoon? That was my grandma's discipline method of choice!

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:20 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:03 pm
Posts: 1118
Location: Knoxville, TN
They do sell Fleischmann's in the US, but I think they recently added dairy to it. We used Fleischmann's when I was growing up because, back then, it wasn't dairy (my family kept kosher-style and didn't mix meat and dairy). A year or so ago, my parents asked me for advice on margarine because they couldn't find a dairy-free Fleischmann's anymore. On the plus side, that means that they usually have Earth Balance when I go to visit them now!

Fleischmann's might also contain D3, but I'm not sure about that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:50 pm 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am
Posts: 1307
Location: Nova Scotia
I googled smart balance and found this blog: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/ ... t-balance/

It reads like a parody - hits so many targets I started to wonder if one of you wrote it.

[Not that I am saying Smart Balance is a health food, but it's not the devil's work either]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:58 pm 
Offline
***LIES!!!***
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3672
Fleischman's is definitely still around. My mother always used Mother's Margarine for her non-dairy needs. It is also kosher for Passover and like 90% trans fat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:02 pm 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs

Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 1349
Location: Las Vegas, NV
All in the span of 20 minutes, same coworker:


coworker: tofu tastes like plastic
me: have you ever had tofu?
Coworker: no, because it tastes like plastic

coworker: what the hell is tofu? at least with meat I know it came from an animal and it didn't come from china.
me: One. Tofu comes from soybeans. I buy USprocessed non-GMO tofu. Its organic and does not come from China. Two. And the not eating animals part is kind of the point. You know we get more and more meat from China every day so...

me: (in context of answering a question regarding an upcoming conference being held in our city). Well I'm still filling out the info sheet because even though I don't have to travel it asks if you have dietary restrictions, so I need to get back to them on that part.
coworker: (in some sort of singy voice) oh yes, "can I have gluten free" yada yada
me: vegan doesn't equal gluten. I love gluten. Give me all the gluten. I can't get enough gluten.


The gluten thing was the last straw. I may smash something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:31 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:10 pm
Posts: 2395
Location: Midlands, UK
Your co-worker sounds really immature. Sounds like not feeding the trollish behahiour might be the order of the day. Actually, that kind of hair pulling behaviour makes me wonder if they fancy you?

_________________
"The lack of obstacles between me and cake is one of the best things about being a grownup for sure." - coldandsleepy

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:20 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5258
Location: A New England
allularpunk wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Grandma butter.


She'll bust your asparagus, too! Believe.


Did your grandma ever smack you with a wooden spoon? That was my grandma's discipline method of choice!
Are we related??

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:22 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 11873
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
I used to buy Willow Run from Kroger. I miss that--cheap and great for baking.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:43 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5258
Location: A New England
lavawitch wrote:
I used to buy Willow Run from Kroger. I miss that--cheap and great for baking.
Oh, do they still make Willow Run? I hadn't thought of it in years; I used to get it at the HFS I worked at in college!

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:27 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:26 pm
Posts: 727
Location: Baltimore/Washington
emmalv wrote:


coworker: tofu tastes like plastic
me: have you ever had tofu?
Coworker: no, because it tastes like plastic




I hate this. People say this to me all the time. I find it childish, and downright rude, especially when i'm eating tofu and they go out of their way to tell me they think the food they've never tried is gross. It makes me want to tell them how gross i think their cheesybaconbuttsteak is, but then i'd be an annoying vegan so i keep my mouth shut.

_________________
lack toast intolerant: intolerant of not having toast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:42 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:58 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Indiana
Desdemona wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
I used to buy Willow Run from Kroger. I miss that--cheap and great for baking.
Oh, do they still make Willow Run? I hadn't thought of it in years; I used to get it at the HFS I worked at in college!


No, it was discontinued last fall. I loved it too because it's not as salty as Earth Balance so I preferred it in baking.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:09 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2592
Location: England
I know we've talked about this in this thread but I got the old "I could never be vegan because I love good food" last night. This is the worst possible thing anyone could say to me!

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:13 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5258
Location: A New England
Efcliz wrote:
I know we've talked about this in this thread but I got the old "I could never be vegan because I love good food" last night. This is the worst possible thing anyone could say to me!
"I could never say anything as ignorant and uninformed as that because I know better."

Sorted.

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:43 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
Desdemona wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Did your grandma ever smack you with a wooden spoon? That was my grandma's discipline method of choice!
Are we related??

Long lost cousins!
P.S. My mom took after my grandma, because there are never fewer than 3 boxes of Blue Bonnet in the fridge.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:48 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs

Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 1349
Location: Las Vegas, NV
dropscone wrote:
Your co-worker sounds really immature. Sounds like not feeding the trollish behahiour might be the order of the day. Actually, that kind of hair pulling behaviour makes me wonder if they fancy you?


He is TOTALLY immature, you hit the nail on the head there. I doubt he fancies me, but we've worked together for a really long time so who knows. I love that you used the expression "fancy you" BTW. : )
And I so knew as I heard myself talking that it was best to just let it go, don't feed the troll, but do you ever get so tired and pissy that that sort of self control is just out of the question? That was that day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:49 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs

Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 1349
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Desdemona wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
I know we've talked about this in this thread but I got the old "I could never be vegan because I love good food" last night. This is the worst possible thing anyone could say to me!
"I could never say anything as ignorant and uninformed as that because I know better."

Sorted.



(Polite clapping) Well played, madam.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:18 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2164
Location: Austin, TX
My peeve for today is raw gluten-free soy-free balls of nuts being called doughnut holes.

_________________
blarg Lazy Smurf's Guide to Life
twitter @veganLazySmurf
Pinterest


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308 ... 481  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], poopiebitch and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer