| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314 ... 546  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:02 am 
And you never will.

allularpunk wrote:
Current peeve: If I post a picture of something I'm eating, you know I'm vegan, and it's got a little #vegan in the caption, don't post and say, 'Such and such item is vegan?' Yep, sure is, otherwise I wouldn't post about eating it. Maybe they're more surprised than trying to call me out, but then say something like, 'Wow, I didn't know that was vegan, awesome!' instead.

Haha! I saw that, and I was like "ugh, that is definitely a Vegan Pet Peeve."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:07 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My general, not particularly just vegan, pet peeve is when I talk about something I've made and people want me to retype and post the recipe. I bought the cookbook, I'm not giving it away for free, y'all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:11 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I just was at the HFS getting stuff for pie.... asked if they had a smaller box of EnerG and the woman said something as an aside about how you can't make cake without eggs. I replied, actually, you can make great cake without eggs. Oh no, I can't. And on it goes.... I guess can now consider myself educated on the subject of making cakes. ^eyeroll^
[my response was that the people who buy and or receive my baked goods would disagree.... and I was met with disdain. So I moved along and didn't have a fistfight like i momentarily wanted to. Come on HFS, normally I love you, don't fork this up.]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:13 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

karichelle wrote:
My general, not particularly just vegan, pet peeve is when I talk about something I've made and people want me to retype and post the recipe. I bought the cookbook, I'm not giving it away for free, y'all.

Oh my gosh, this is peeve today too. I just posted a blog tour book review of Dynise's new pie book, and the first two comments were along the lines of "what, no recipes?!!" So annoying and rude. Plus, obviously the whole idea of the thing is to encourage people to buy the book!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:47 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

poopiebitch wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Current peeve: If I post a picture of something I'm eating, you know I'm vegan, and it's got a little #vegan in the caption, don't post and say, 'Such and such item is vegan?' Yep, sure is, otherwise I wouldn't post about eating it. Maybe they're more surprised than trying to call me out, but then say something like, 'Wow, I didn't know that was vegan, awesome!' instead.

I had to restrain myself from making a snide comment about the veganness of your banana. You're welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:49 am 
WELFARIST!

ndpittman wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

I had to restrain myself from making a snide comment about the veganness of your banana. You're welcome.

You should have. That dude is my number 1 most annoying friend. And I'm sure his was a question of skepticism, not surprise, because he's just the sort of dude who would try to call anyone out on stuff. He was probably hoping for me to be busted and say something like, 'Oops, you caught me!' or just delete the photo or something.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:03 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

torque wrote:
I just was at the HFS getting stuff for pie.... asked if they had a smaller box of EnerG and the woman said something as an aside about how you can't make cake without eggs. I replied, actually, you can make great cake without eggs. Oh no, I can't. And on it goes.... I guess can now consider myself educated on the subject of making cakes. ^eyeroll^
[my response was that the people who buy and or receive my baked goods would disagree.... and I was met with disdain. So I moved along and didn't have a fistfight like i momentarily wanted to. Come on HFS, normally I love you, don't fork this up.]

Ugh, that is so annoying! One time i made an awesome cake filled with lemon curd. One of my friends was like "you can't make lemon curd without eggs." Really, cos you're eating it right now. I guess he meant more that it's not technically lemon curd if it doesn't have eggs. Whatever. Call it whatever you want. The point is that it's delicious.
I can't get over how rude some people are about vegan food without even realizing it. You wouldn't go up to anyone else and tell them their food is gross, so why tell me my soymilk is gross? And the whole "WOw! This is actually good." response. I know it's good. I made it. Either be nice or fork off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

annabazoo wrote:
torque wrote:

Ugh, that is so annoying! One time i made an awesome cake filled with lemon curd. One of my friends was like "you can't make lemon curd without eggs." Really, cos you're eating it right now. I guess he meant more that it's not technically lemon curd if it doesn't have eggs. Whatever. Call it whatever you want. The point is that it's delicious.
I can't get over how rude some people are about vegan food without even realizing it. You wouldn't go up to anyone else and tell them their food is gross, so why tell me my soymilk is gross? And the whole "WOw! This is actually good." response. I know it's good. I made it. Either be nice or fork off.

I was recently on another forum and the whole "a cake is not a cake without eggs" was declared as gospel. All I could think about was this thread, and how I wanted to post "I could serve you a cake and you'd never know the difference." What's up with egg worship, why does that make it a cake? Never have I considered a baked good as achieving cake status only with the addition of eggs.

And yes, Annabazoo, I get the "actually" thrown in to so-called compliments a lot. "wow, this is good" wouldn't peeve me. Don't they understand how that "actually" changes the whole sentiment?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:24 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

I've gotten the not-a-cake thing too.
Maybe we need to start calling it Awesome Cake-Like Food That is Better Than Cake Because of What? Not Hurting the Chickens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:29 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Eh, if what people picture as "cake" in their minds is, say, Angel Food Cake (and can anyone think of a better reason to sin than that air-filled abomination?), I can see that. I also have never had a truly accurate replication of pound cake, which used to be my favorite - the VCon one is the closest I've had, and it's good, but...not exactly the same.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:26 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

emmalv wrote:
I was recently on another forum and the whole "a cake is not a cake without eggs" was declared as gospel. All I could think about was this thread, and how I wanted to post "I could serve you a cake and you'd never know the difference." What's up with egg worship, why does that make it a cake? Never have I considered a baked good as achieving cake status only with the addition of eggs.
The whole "eggs are essential to baking" myth is a complete racket; it's the biggest scam since that "I'll trade you Manhattan for a couple of axes and some beads" situation a few centuries back. Like all exploitative enterprises, it persists because someone stands to profit hugely from it (and we all know the chickens aren't doing any better out of this deal than the natives did out of theirs).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

karichelle wrote:

I actually don't mind doing this for people, if they're legitimately interested, but I can only think of one instance EVER where someone actually made the recipe, and sometimes it's just omnivore approaching me for vegan recipes to "try it out," not because I posted a photo of something they want to make. So that's pretty much the worst, typing out all that crepe and they never make it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ndpittman wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Yeah, I had to go back and get sassy after I found out what you guys were talking about. I lurve some facebook sass.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:12 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

you know, in the convo i was willing to throw the other person the angel food cake bone. but then she started about the "special taste of eggs" in cake and i just wanted to ask her if she liked her cake smelling like omelets and full of chicken-flavored misery. but, the owner of the store is a friend of mine, and i should be big enough to just sigh and walk away, so that's what i did. [and then come and whine on the internet. i feel much better thankyouverymuch.]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:01 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

torque wrote:
you know, in the convo i was willing to throw the other person the angel food cake bone. but then she started about the "special taste of eggs" in cake and i just wanted to ask her if she liked her cake smelling like omelets and full of chicken-flavored misery.
You left out farts and the sulfurous, burning flames of hell.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:01 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Desdemona wrote:
emmalv wrote:
The whole "eggs are essential to baking" myth is a complete racket; it's the biggest scam since that "I'll trade you Manhattan for a couple of axes and some beads" situation a few centuries back. Like all exploitative enterprises, it persists because someone stands to profit hugely from it (and we all know the chickens aren't doing any better out of this deal than the natives did out of theirs).

I remember when I was explaining to the people who ran my CSA that eggs are the biggest lie baking and they had a giggle at that. But then I brought them zucchini muffins the next week and they changed their minds.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:58 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

It's funny because the birthday cake I grew up eating every year as a child was vegan. It was a war-time recipe called Wacky Cake, when eggs were rationed. It's still my mom's go-to chocolate cake, and she's not vegan.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I need to vent so I hope it is, if not, sorry.

I go to a Paul Mitchell cosmetology school. I picked it specifically because Paul Mitchell's stance on animal testing. I have HUGE love for their ethics and activism on behalf of animals. Unfortunately, my school is a franchise school, and I just found out tonight we're partnering with another salon chain that uses Redken and Elizabeth Arden products, and they'll be integrating those products into our school. I only have 4 months or so left, but still, I'm furious. I would have enrolled and just commuted to the corporate owned Paul Mitchell school in Chicago if I had known this would happen, and I can't even transfer to that school now because they're corporate and we're a franchise.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I agree egg in baking is mostly a racket but some vegan cake recipes do come out dense and awful (I'm looking at you, Whole Foods! though, I've had my share of cake fails too) and I've always attributed it to the fact that there wasn't enough of a matrix to hold the air pockets. If you use eggs, isn't that extra insurance that you won't have dense baked goods? Like, there is more leeway and the cake will still come out ok even if your proportions weren't quite right. With a clunker vegan recipe you don't have anything to help keep the batter fluffy. It's been so many years since I've baked with eggs that I can't really remember if I made accidentally dense cakes and if what I've typed is actually true.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

cadryskitchen wrote:
It's funny because the birthday cake I grew up eating every year as a child was vegan. It was a war-time recipe called Wacky Cake, when eggs were rationed. It's still my mom's go-to chocolate cake, and she's not vegan.

I love wacky cake. Wacky cake cupcakes are my go to if I feel very lazy but want to impress people.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:52 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

my boyfriend is on a new team at work....the office found out he was vegan....one lady is confused as to what he can eat because he does not eat butter. hmmm...no, her name is not paula deen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:05 am 
WELFARIST!

creep wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

Yeah, I had to go back and get sassy after I found out what you guys were talking about. I lurve some facebook sass.

omg, you guys, facebook didn't give me ANY alerts for those comments! Just saw them all for the first time. I <3 my snarky vegans.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:16 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

karichelle wrote:

this drives me CRAZY!!! i am totally one of those people who posts pictures of their food on facebook and then people are like "oh that looks great send me the recipe!"

so ive done that a bunch of times and it's almost always from a cookbook so i have to retype the whole thing and then i dont think they ever make it so i just spent all that time typing it for nothing. PLUS go buy the damn book.

there is one person in particular who always asks for recipes so now i just tell them what cookbook it came from.

and of course there's always the people oh that picture of the lasagna you posted was great! i made it but i put meat in it and it came out so good!

F YOU! i say!

maybe im just mean

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:16 am 
Flounceiad 2011

missmuffcake wrote:
my boyfriend is on a new team at work....the office found out he was vegan....one lady is confused as to what he can eat because he does not eat butter. hmmm...no, her name is not paula deen.
HA! This reminded me of a conversation I had in England a few years ago. We were staying near a village in Warwickshire called Loxley (which is lovely, BTW), and after a couple of pints in the local (the Fox) we quizzed the barmaid about what we might be able to eat. Watching her process the concept of a meal without dairy products was simultaneously hilarious and a bit disturbing, because it seemed that the idea had literally never occurred to her. "So...no cream, then? No cheese? No butter?" In the end we had salad (hold the cheese and bacon), chips, and some crusty bread with a dish of olive oil so were fine, but I'll never forget the look on her face as she processed our incomprehensible request. In a way, the funniest part was that - of all things - cream was the first thing that came to her mind; even before I was vegan, it would have rarely occurred tome to eat cream!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:19 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Desdemona wrote:
emmalv wrote:

people constantly ask me what the magic ingredient to "replace" the eggs is and im always like "uhhhh i dunno there's just no eggs"
i dont know what eggs do for baking but there doesnt seem to be a vegan "replacement"
im always like "well theres just sugar, oil, flour, etc. nothing replaces it you dont NEED eggs" and then they are like "is it applesauce?" and i have to explain that no vegan baking does not necessarily always involve applesauce. that is low fat baking.

geesh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314 ... 546  Next