| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316 ... 546  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:07 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

missmuffcake wrote:
I do not drink traditional soda, i stopped like 19 years ago. but the last year or so i allow my self a Zevia with dinner...Soda is the new black sheep in the food world.

A few tables down I assume this guy ordering dessert was vegan, he asked about dairy, honey and then started asking about serving sizes and the cost per serving...People can be so ridiculously cheap.

he asked them how much it cost them to make the dessert per serving? it almost sounds to me like he was trying to find out the serving size and maybe weight watchers points so he could track what he was eating? that might explain it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

choirqueer wrote:
emmalv wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
today at dinner i overheard a pompous asparagus saying that the sugar in soda is what makes vegans fat...the lady with him was like 'ya, soda is vegan, that is true'...my boyfriend stopped me from saying something.

This logic actually just made me snicker out loud. People. sheesh.

AHAHAHAA I'm the fattest vegan I've ever met and I never drink soda. I hate carbonated beverages, so I never ever put them in my mouth. I think the last time I even tried to drink soda was like 15 years ago, which was before I went vegan, and I'm pretty sure I spit it out and cried.

im a chubby vegan and i never drink soda. i have a soda maybe twice a year and i can never even finish it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

actually that soda commet made me feel better about my dinner which is tater tots and wegmans chikn nuggets

i will neither confirm nor deny whether or not veganaise mixed with a little sriacha is being used as a dipping sauce

it doesnt matter anyways because it's the soda i dont drink that is making me chunky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:21 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

ijustdiedinside wrote:
he asked them how much it cost them to make the dessert per serving? it almost sounds to me like he was trying to find out the serving size and maybe weight watchers points so he could track what he was eating? that might explain it.

No...

guy: does it contain dairy/eggs?
server: no, we can remove honey to.
guy: how much is it?
server: $4
guy: how many people does it serve?

he was with a wife/date/friend. the way he said it was due to price.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:36 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

that doesn't sound unreasonable or weird to me. maybe he just wanted to see whether it was enough for them to share? i split desserts with people all the time. if you're getting dessert as a treat and not because you really need more food, there's no reason to order two if neither of you will finish your serving or if you could be satisfied with a few bites.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:48 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I can vouch for the perfection that is Veganaise and Sriracha. When paired with tots, we are talking last meal goodness.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Did you hear that soda comment this weekend? Cause that Alec Baldwin npr show yesterday had some nutritionist on talking about sugar and the guy said vegans were obese from sugary soda. I think he was just trying to say there is vegan junk food, but it made me laugh and I could imagine somebody misquoting him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:42 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

couroupita wrote:
Did you hear that soda comment this weekend? Cause that Alec Baldwin npr show yesterday had some nutritionist on talking about sugar and the guy said vegans were obese from sugary soda. I think he was just trying to say there is vegan junk food, but it made me laugh and I could imagine somebody misquoting him.

Yes! They even brought Baldwin up saying he was hefty!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

couroupita wrote:
that Alec Baldwin npr show

HOLD THE PHONE. Alec Baldwin NPR show? As in, Alec Baldwin hosts a show on NPR, or was he a guest on a show? Sorry for the derail, I have a weird obsession/crush on Alec Baldwin.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lilyyw wrote:
couroupita wrote:

HOLD THE PHONE. Alec Baldwin NPR show? As in, Alec Baldwin hosts a show on NPR, or was he a guest on a show? Sorry for the derail, I have a weird obsession/crush on Alec Baldwin.

Yep! He hosts an interview show on wnyc: http://www.wnyc.org/shows/heresthething/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

couroupita wrote:
lilyyw wrote:
couroupita wrote:

Yep! He hosts an interview show on wnyc: http://www.wnyc.org/shows/heresthething/

Thanks! Now, to catch up on all of them. . .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:10 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I drink soda once a week at the very most, because I usually get Moe's on Mondays and I can't resist using the fancy future-soda machine to make orange-vanilla Coke. Pretty sure I drink soda less than most omnis I know, though.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:18 pm 
Nooch of Earl

When I'm searching for yummy vegan food on Etsy sometimes in the hope that someone somewhere has veganized the delicious treats I'm too lazy to make, sometimes searching turns up those things...in soap. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's vegan soap and that the people list it as vegan, but...donut soap and brownie soap and cake pop soap are STILL SOAP and I can't eat them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

annak wrote:
When I'm searching for yummy vegan food on Etsy sometimes in the hope that someone somewhere has veganized the delicious treats I'm too lazy to make, sometimes searching turns up those things...in soap. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's vegan soap and that the people list it as vegan, but...donut soap and brownie soap and cake pop soap are STILL SOAP and I can't eat them.

Ha! Yes! I have complained about this so much (primarily to people who couldn't care less). But the surge of excitement when I see a bunch of results for, like, "vegan macarons" or something and then... oh. Soap. So disappointing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:59 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

could be mistaken for cute soap but they are super rad cookies:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/158687238/ ... ou_favitem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:43 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I went into the Student Union bar/cafe yesterday, and was amazed to see that they have finally put a vegan symbol on their menus! However, this excitement was short-lived as I quickly realised that the only vegan options were chunky chips and curly fries. Even the bruschetta isn't vegan because they put butter in it. I guess it's a good first step to actually label vegan, but it would be nice if they combined that with actually putting some vegan meals on the menu.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:59 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

not sure if this is the correct place for this ... I am getting tired of people asking me if I am not worried about my bones now since I do not use/consume dairy products ... I told her that one can get all the calcium one needs from non-dairy sources and I would be happy to send her some urls of youtube talks given by proper medical people ... she looked disbelieving shaking her head in a 'so sorry for you way' ... she also seemed to think that since I have now gone through 'the change' they are about to snap like burned matchsticks ...
Anne who has strong, healthy bones both from her diet and from walking at least an hour every day ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:16 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Show her some statistics and graphs concerning dairy consumption and osteoporosis rates around the world...the US has the highest dairy consumption AND the highest rate of osteoporosis.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:50 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

The thinking on calcium in vegan diets has changed a bit recently, teacup and karichelle. You can definitely get all the calcium (and other bone-health stuff) you need on a vegan diet, but you should make sure you're using current information.

http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/05/vegan ... myths.html
http://www.theveganrd.com/2013/08/vegan ... nes-2.html
http://jacknorrisrd.com/calcium-and-vit ... ummarized/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So I have a bowl from home in work because I have issues with communal stuff and the fact that people don't wash things after them most of the time. Today I found my co-worker using my bowl. She had yogurt. I'm mentally traumatised. I meant to take it home with me to give it a really good wash but I totally forgot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Daisy, that happened to me all the time in college. I once founded my pot full of Mac and cheese in the communal fridge. Not only are you using my stuff, but you are using it to store your gross food in. Messed up. I threw out their food.

n

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

What, like you threw out someone's lunch? Or had it been sitting there for a while?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:07 pm 
Chip Strong

Ugh, two of my roommates would use my soup pot to store stuff in. I didn't care that they were using it(well, when they stopped thinking they had to wash it after wards I did...) but it was so forking annoying to go to cook something I needed that pot for and find it full of spaghetti or something else random that we had Tupperware for. And then when I asked them to stop doing it and wash it when they're done, they got mad at me. Uh, sorry for not wanting to clean up after you?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:20 pm 

not a serious or major peeve, but my father-in-law was hilariously uncertain about using almond milk in mashed potatoes. it took myself, my partner, and my sister-in-law a good ten minutes to convince him it would work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:26 pm 

Teehee, i think it's funny when people are worried about the tiny bit of vegan-alternative in a dish. Funny and sad, but mostly funny.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316 ... 546  Next