| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317 ... 537  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:06 pm 
***LIES!!!***

dropscone wrote:
What, like you threw out someone's lunch? Or had it been sitting there for a while?

Like they cooked a pot of mac and cheese in a pot clearly labeled as someone else's, ate some, then put the pot in the fridge with the leftovers in it. There was no way of knowing whose it was [whose pasta it was - the pot was in a basket with my name on it], as far as I knew I was the ONLY resident of the dorm not on the meal plan and therefore actually cooking as my only source of regular sustenance, and I owned exactly one pot and one pan, and needed to use it to cook my own dinner. No idea how long it had been sitting there. Didn't care.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:12 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ah, college. i sure don't miss that particular type of shiitake. [although i was probably just as often guilty as i was wronged, i was another person not on meal plan and got really forking tired of mealplan people with the munchies eating my stinking sustenance.]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:33 am 
Flounceiad 2011

biorobotics wrote:
not a serious or major peeve, but my father-in-law was hilariously uncertain about using almond milk in mashed potatoes. it took myself, my partner, and my sister-in-law a good ten minutes to convince him it would work.
annabazoo wrote:
Teehee, i think it's funny when people are worried about the tiny bit of vegan-alternative in a dish. Funny and sad, but mostly funny.
Yeah, I have a friend who's ridiculously picky and super suspicious about "weird" foods (seriously, she eats like a 4 year old; her idea of a "restaurant" is Chili's or TGIFriday's). One time she ate a bunch of my mac & cheese at a potluck before realizing I'd made it, and then asked me to "please not tell" her what was in it. Even though she'd already eaten and enjoyed a plateful of the stuff, she just didn't want to know because OH MY GOD SOY MILK TAPIOCA CHEESE, RIGHT?!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:40 am 
WRETCHED

torque wrote:
ah, college. i sure don't miss that particular type of shiitake. [although i was probably just as often guilty as i was wronged, i was another person not on meal plan and got really forking tired of mealplan people with the munchies eating my stinking sustenance.]

The college I went to first required you to be on a meal plan if you lived in the dorms. I got a shiitake ton of financial aid to go to that school already (it was a $$$ private school) so the meal plan was part of that but I had 9 meals/week and somehow still had leftover meals at the end of the semester.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:51 am 
***LIES!!!***

I got special dispensation to be off the meal plan. We were required to be on if we lived in the dorms. Very few people made the effort to get off, it would not be a savings for most and the food was good enough in the dining hall. I just wound up having to cook for myself over Passover each year anyway and then went vegan and it became unreasonable to eat there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:55 am 
WRETCHED

Yeah, I didn't know that they allowed special circumstances. I knew someone who had a full size fridge in her dorm room because she was diabetic but she was on the food plan. We had a kitchen in our dorm but no one ever used it. My roommate had a rice cooker and sometimes we'd make stuff in our dorm with it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:07 am 
Seagull of the PPK

yeah, the first year we were required to live in the dorm and had to have the meal plan, but there was no rule against selling it back, and that first year was super tight financially til i got a decent job so that was what i did. i still can't eat the food i ate that first year (barley, lentils, watery curry) without shuddering.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:21 am 
Saggy Butt

My school coaxed me into signing up for the meal plan, claiming I would have all sorts of options in the cafeterias. In reality, the people serving couldn't even tell me if there was butter in the vegetables. In order to get my money back, the school made me meet with a dietitian to prove that I know how to feed myself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:00 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

oh irony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:19 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

twitter nonesense wrote:
Okay ATX, you asked for it: MiJo's now offers menu items fit for your vegan girlfriends. Even "like, mostly vegan,"

What the fork does this even mean?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

mollyjade wrote:
twitter nonesense wrote:
Okay ATX, you asked for it: MiJo's now offers menu items fit for your vegan girlfriends. Even "like, mostly vegan,"

What the fork does this even mean?

I read it three times and I have no idea. I do think you should write back "A$$holes aren't vegan, or even, like, mostly vegan"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:14 pm 
Nooch of Earl

My school had the dorm/meal plan rule but there were several private dorms you could stay in instead...most were more expensive but one was basically 2 bedroom apartments for 4 people, and you got a kitchen instead of a meal plan. I'm sure I saved money over the university dorms that included meal plans.

The main downside was that all my roommates were omnis, but one in particular was the daughter of dairy farmers and not only was she constantly drinking milk (of a certain brand, because somewhere in there were a few molecules of "her cows'" milk) but she would also bring the famiy cows in as ground beef after no more milk was to be had from them. We did not share pots and pans.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:32 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

It's does not even have anything to do with being vegan, but I don't like communal dishes. At work, I have a coffee cup, and a bowl that stays at my desk. And a knife I use for cutting apples and stuff.

I don't mind using other peoples dishes at their house, as a guest, but at a workplace or in a dorm/roommate situation, it kind of grosses me out. i just don't trust other people's dish washing skills I guess. I have had some pretty gross roommates and co-workers, guess that is why.

The 'vegans are fat from soda' thing upthread is cracking me up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:45 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I got a letter from my rabbi saying I needed to go off the college meal plan to keep kosher. :) Perks!

I keep all my work dishes in a drawer in my filing cabinet. It's not like I actually create paper files anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:04 pm 
Semen Strong

There is so much woo that intersects with the world of veganism! I wish we had a thread called "What the Fizzle is this Woo Shiitake" about all the weird remedies/cures/food dangers/etc that don't seem to have much basis in science but includes sciency sounding words that seems to sway people, who otherwise seem to be pretty educated and savvy.

Todays Woo Shiitake - What the heck is a "high histamine food"? I saw it in two places today - once on a vegan article talking about how so many vegan staples are high in histamines and on another with a bunch of WAPF people talking about how you need to cut out high histamine foods to control your asthma.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:13 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

The histamine thing was on the Jezebel post about Isa too!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:22 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Ariann wrote:
I got special dispensation to be off the meal plan. We were required to be on if we lived in the dorms. Very few people made the effort to get off, it would not be a savings for most and the food was good enough in the dining hall. I just wound up having to cook for myself over Passover each year anyway and then went vegan and it became unreasonable to eat there.

I got off the mandatory meal plan too, but only because I had a friend in res life who owed me a favor. It worked out REALLY well for me because my best friend was on the meal plan, so ze would go to the dining hall and fill up one of the big to-go boxes with raw veggies from the salad bar, and then bring them back to the dorm and we'd cook dinner!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:48 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

j-dub wrote:
The histamine thing was on the Jezebel post about Isa too!

There was a Jezebel post about Isa? Off to google!

ETA: Found it, and found the histamine comment right away.

Quote:
Vegan diets usually consist of high histamine staples like tofu, tempeh, beans and legumes as well as veggies (kale, avocado and tomatoes) and fruits (citrus, berries and dried) and spices galore which, while fabulous, are, very high in histamines. Also, all aged and fermented foods and beverages are off the charts.

So, if you are either histamine intolerant and/or a "slow methylating" person with issues surrounding the enzyme that metabolizes histamines in a "normal" person, a Vegan diet is a nightmare.

Thankfully i wasn't like this all my life because high histamine foods are tasty! (RIP Cheddar Cheese and leftovers)

What the what? Is this the new acid/alkaline or somesuch? I've never run across this particular brand of woo before. I could be wrong, but I had always understood that histamines are produced by the body as part of an immune reaction. If you're allergic to something your body reacts by producing histamines. It's not ingested with food, is it?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:19 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Tofulish wrote:
There is so much woo that intersects with the world of veganism! I wish we had a thread called "What the Fizzle is this Woo Shiitake" about all the weird remedies/cures/food dangers/etc that don't seem to have much basis in science but includes sciency sounding words that seems to sway people, who otherwise seem to be pretty educated and savvy.

Todays Woo Shiitake - What the heck is a "high histamine food"? I saw it in two places today - once on a vegan article talking about how so many vegan staples are high in histamines and on another with a bunch of WAPF people talking about how you need to cut out high histamine foods to control your asthma.

I've not heard the "histamine" one before, but personally I'm really fed up with the woo side of veganism! I'm personally particularly bored of explaining to people why a 100% raw vegan diet is not actually "the most healthy thing you can do"!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:29 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Yes! I follow on Twitter someone who is a little bit of a vegan guru in French speaking communities. A baby-vegan was asking her how to find out which E numbers and additives are vegan, and her answer was basically "well veganism goes hand in hand with eating more natural, so you really shouldn't eat anything with these ingredients." Such bullshiitake! And on an ethical level, it really disturbs me when other vegans put "healthy eating", whatever that means, and animal exploitation on the same level of importance.

It really doesn't matter, in the grand scheme of things, and it doesn't matter to the world, if I eat deep fried stuff or processed food. That's my private business. It does matter if I eat animal ingredients. It matters to the animals who died in the process.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:30 am 
WRETCHED

We could certainly have a thread about the woo. The Dr. Fuhrman thing feels so much like it is preying on women specifically. Sure it is October but you hear things like "You won't get breast cancer if you eat right" and then you do everything right and happen to get breast cancer. The message then is... you obviously did things wrong.

Jack Norris had a snippet on his blog about a study that showed vegans did have lower incidence of cancer but lower incidence doesn't mean none. Ginny Messina wrote about colon cancer and vegans/vegetarians. Most vegans/vegetarians seems to eat a higher fiber content than someone focused on meat and fiber is protective against colon cancer but again protective doesn't mean none. It happens. If you get cancer, it isn't your fault and saying anything else is hurtful told women and men but directing it at women specifically peas me off.

Maybe if we had better medical care in the US or more integrative care, we'd have less woo but the people feel western medicine has failed them. That doesn't mean that it isn't still useful. And really, you don't have cancer until you do and then it sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:17 am 
Seagull of the PPK

you know, i've been following the eat to live stuff for a bit and it didn't even occur to me but it is indeed oh so triggery, EDish, and really shaming. I noticed that the one person I really enjoy following about it (Susan from FFV) is very carefully neutral and stays far away from any claims. But the thing you put on FB today was a big face-smacky wakeup call. Not sure why I've been putting up with their silliness, and glad you made me think about it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:19 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Desdemona wrote:
biorobotics wrote:
not a serious or major peeve, but my father-in-law was hilariously uncertain about using almond milk in mashed potatoes. it took myself, my partner, and my sister-in-law a good ten minutes to convince him it would work.
annabazoo wrote:
Teehee, i think it's funny when people are worried about the tiny bit of vegan-alternative in a dish. Funny and sad, but mostly funny.
Yeah, I have a friend who's ridiculously picky and super suspicious about "weird" foods (seriously, she eats like a 4 year old; her idea of a "restaurant" is Chili's or TGIFriday's). One time she ate a bunch of my mac & cheese at a potluck before realizing I'd made it, and then asked me to "please not tell" her what was in it. Even though she'd already eaten and enjoyed a plateful of the stuff, she just didn't want to know because OH MY GOD SOY MILK TAPIOCA CHEESE, RIGHT?!

I hate this. You ate it, you liked it, so why do you care what was in it?
It really peas me off when people say vegans are picky, yet they won't even try foods like tofu. Or when they'll be afraid to try vegan cake, even though they've never had vegan cake before. I find it incredible how much negative stigma there is around dairy and meat alternatives, especially from people who have never tried it or tried it once.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:25 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

We had some vegan chicken pieces at our wedding, and my brother was telling me that one guy refused to eat any more of it after he told him that they were vegan and not real. Whereas before he'd been scoffing them down like normal. I totally don't get that. I mean, these people eat "accidentally vegan" food all the time, but they won't eat "deliberately vegan" food...out of some sort of principle or something. Or can they just not fathom a meal without animal products? And even the most "adventurous" ones who claim to have eaten all sorts of meats etc sometimes refuse to eat a meatless meal...it reminds me of when kids say "no I don't like that" before they've even tried it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:27 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

There is some posh frou-frou 'artisinal' food shop near my work, which I scouted out yesterday. A lot of stuff was marked 'vegan' and 'gluten-free', which was cool. And they had this big display of Swedish candy by the register, and a good 30% of it was gelatin-free.

But everything that was gelatin-free was inevitably red, and thusly contained carmine. Leaving the only vegan option as saltlakrits (salty licorice). UGH.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317 ... 537  Next