| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318 ... 425  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:41 pm 
Semen Strong

Kim Kardashian is bringing back The Atkins Diet....

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:12 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I just got a call from Farm Sanctuary asking for a monthly donation. I would totally do it, except I have no income right now, which I is what I told them. Then they asked for at least a one-time donation, which I also can't do. I dunno, it just really irked me. I get that you need money, but what part of "I have no money" is not clear?

It's not animal rights related, but we also keep getting high school kids coming to our door asking for us to subscribe to the local newspaper so they get some kind of college scholarship. My husband signed up for one kid, but we've had 3 others come in the course of a week and when I say "Sorry, I lost my job and I'm on a budget right now" there is no empathy and they even have the nerve to say, "Can you at least do xyz...". At least? At least? No, I don't owe you anything.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:24 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Tofulish wrote:
Kim Kardashian is bringing back The Atkins Diet....

So is Sharon Osbourne...she was on a show talking about it a few days ago, I don't remember what I was watching though because the TV was just kind of noise in the background.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:34 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

couroupita wrote:
I just got a call from Farm Sanctuary asking for a monthly donation. I would totally do it, except I have no income right now, which I is what I told them. Then they asked for at least a one-time donation, which I also can't do. I dunno, it just really irked me. I get that you need money, but what part of "I have no money" is not clear?

It's not animal rights related, but we also keep getting high school kids coming to our door asking for us to subscribe to the local newspaper so they get some kind of college scholarship. My husband signed up for one kid, but we've had 3 others come in the course of a week and when I say "Sorry, I lost my job and I'm on a budget right now" there is no empathy and they even have the nerve to say, "Can you at least do xyz...". At least? At least? No, I don't owe you anything.

I've had this happen to. When I tell them that I'm a student, earn 400 euros a month and already give money to Amnesty International and the german vegetarian society they take that as a point that I COULD give even more.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:48 pm 
WELFARIST!

That reminds me of the time I got angry at one of the Greenpeace people who stand in Harvard Square. My friend and I were walking through the square when he stopped us. After listening to him we told him that we go to school, have to pay student loans and only have part time jobs, etc. He said that we would still be able to afford a small monthly donation and when I told him that we already give to charities with what little we can, he got really arrogant and said, "When I went to college I worked 3 jobs and gave to x number of charities." I was like, "All right, enough of this. We're out of here."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

argggg i don't mean to be cruel, but i don't understand the logic of charities paying people to stand outside and solicit donations. where i live, the charity pays another company to send out people on their behalf, and there will usually be about four people in one area. unless i am missing something major, i can't imagine they get enough donations to pay four people for a day's work and raise money for the charity. they have also started following people and trying to 'pick' them up before revealing they want donations, which makes me so uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:01 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

It is hilarious how fast they back off when you tell them you work non-profit. They know how little you make then.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

postnothing wrote:
argggg i don't mean to be cruel, but i don't understand the logic of charities paying people to stand outside and solicit donations. where i live, the charity pays another company to send out people on their behalf, and there will usually be about four people in one area. unless i am missing something major, i can't imagine they get enough donations to pay four people for a day's work and raise money for the charity. they have also started following people and trying to 'pick' them up before revealing they want donations, which makes me so uncomfortable.

I find this annoying too, but they do it because it actually makes them a ton of money. Pretty much any fundraising tactic you see is happening because it works.

(I work in fundraising, though not in-person.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:45 pm 

postnothing wrote:

This video changed my mind about this a bit http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pallotta_t ... wrong.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:04 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

couroupita wrote:

Are those things legit? I get those kids all the time - and sometimes first year college kids?!?! - and always assumed the whole thing was some kind of weird scam. I figure if they can't produce a business card or a flyer then who knows? The last time was a set of teenage boys who made pouty faces and batted their eyelashes at me when I said no. I don't even.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:15 pm 
WRETCHED

madeleine.teacup wrote:
couroupita wrote:

Are those things legit? I get those kids all the time - and sometimes first year college kids?!?! - and always assumed the whole thing was some kind of weird scam. I figure if they can't produce a business card or a flyer then who knows? The last time was a set of teenage boys who made pouty faces and batted their eyelashes at me when I said no. I don't even.

I know the magazines are a scam, I would guess the newspaper ones are as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:05 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Well....it's kind of legit. When I signed up for it before I did get the newspaper. After reading linanil's post though I did some digging and it looks like they don't have to use the money they earn for school. It's not even a scholarship, it's just a weekly check. So that peas me off. I'm thinking about canceling that check I wrote now. I don't like getting taken advantage of. I'm kinda glad I posted this now because I didn't really think it was scammy. PPKers are less gullible than I am!

Here's what I'm talking about, if anyone is interested: http://stanfordreview.org/old_archives/ ... ews2.shtml

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:23 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I give to charities that don't spend more money contacting me for more money than I've given them. This pretty much limits it to smaller, local ones whose work I can directly see. I think there's still value in the glossy national organizations, but it's not where I focus my efforts. The money I can give to local charities seems to make more of a difference to them.

Though hilariously, my high school called up the other day and asked if I would give them a donation of, I shiitake you not, $750. I told them to call back when we had a federal government.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:19 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I've had this happen to. When I tell them that I'm a student, earn 400 euros a month and already give money to Amnesty International and the german vegetarian society they take that as a point that I COULD give even more.

A few weeks ago a man was pan-handling for money outside of the post office. He asked for money, I said "no, sorry". He then tried again on my way out, shoving the cup in my way and saying "I know you have extra"...I was like "dude I have a $1,000 in vet debit and have $20 in my name, wanna help me out???"....He looked at me and rolled his eyes and said "no"...Guy was far from dirty, nice new work clothes - just wanting money. Why get angry that I cannot help you?

I try to help homeless people as much as I can. Last month I asked a homeless guy if his dog needed food, he said yes, as I was living to get food across the way his friend came....he must of left with his friend because once I returned with the dog food & water (it was hot) he was gone...I gave the dog food to the a dog rescue lady I know the next week.

Off this topic but god I hate Bob Harper...one time vegan work-out bad asparagus to now saying in an interview that the one food item he cannot live without is grass fed beef...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:34 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I am feeling you on Bob Harper, missmuffcake. I know, I know, ex-vegan celebs, no need to rehash. But man, that guy. I'm also pretty sure he sold his soul to Quaker.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:31 am 

Last week a homeless guy asked for food or money, I offered my apple and he looked at me like I was insane.

My vegan pet peeve is my boyfriend loving really disgusting german meat/fish products :/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:34 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm taking an ethics class that uses veganism as a springboard for ethical discussions. The instructor is vegan, and so far has made several fantastic arguments to go vegan. Surprisingly, most of the class is pretty open-minded, and even if they aren't reducing or eliminating animal products from their life, they are asking lots of interesting questions and trying to form cogent counterarguments to keep the class discussion interesting and thought-provoking.
Except this one guy, who counters everything with "Hey, life is suffering." People are starving? Suffering. Factory farming is destroying the environment? Suffering. Animal cruelty? Suffering. Yesterday, he agreed with the instructor's argument that veganism is the most ethical choice for a wide variety of reasons (I won't list them, I think we're all pretty clear on 'em), and said, "Obviously you're right, eating meat is unethical. But I choose to eat meat, and you can't tell me I'm unethical for doing it, because it's my choice." He chooses his choice!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:39 am 
Lime and a Coconut

I've been hearing about a friend of mine who went ex-vegan recently and how she's pre-emptively cutting people out of her life and being super defensive up front, and saying no one is allowed to talk to her about it. It makes me really sad. Of course I'm sad that she's no longer vegan, but what makes me more sad is that she is now playing the uber-defensive omni crasshole game. Sure I'm bummed she's no longer vegan, but I thought there was way more to our friendship than that. Now I feel like I'm in a minefield wondering if/when I'm going to faced with an ultimatum to Never Speak of Her Veganism again or be cut out of her life, like others I've heard of.

Obviously, I know someone who is acting like this isn't a huge loss out of my life. But I remember the fun stuff we used to do together, regardless of who was vegan, and it makes me really sad that she would feel the need to be this defensive, to the point where she is okay with jettisoning people who might potentially confront her about this one day. People who love and care about her no matter what she is eating, even if they may want to discuss it and wrap their heads around her sudden about-face.

And of course there is some deep-down part of me that knows, years from now, she's going to be telling her friends over a steak about her crazy vegan friends and how they all stopped talking to her en masse when she started drinking milkshakes or whatever and what a crazy cult we all are. When it was her acting like a defensive exclusionary jerk all along. :(

Last edited by Erika Soyf*cker on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:40 am 
Lime and a Coconut

SassyOh wrote:
"Obviously you're right, eating meat is unethical. But I choose to eat meat, and you can't tell me I'm unethical for doing it, because it's my choice." He chooses his choice!

The reasoning of those who have realized they have no reason.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:22 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I had dinner last night at a fancypants restaurant with a group of people. There's nothing vegan on the menu, so they made something up for me. It looked pretty awesome, spinach linguine with a ton of veggies in a tomato-y sauce. But all the veggies were cut super huge and were barely cooked, so it was pretty weird to eat. I ended up only having a couple of bites because I didn't like it, and felt like a douche since they made something special for me. I did take it home, though. Maybe I can salvage it somehow, like put it in a casserole dish and bake it til the veggies are tender, maybe.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

strawberryrock wrote:
postnothing wrote:

I find this annoying too, but they do it because it actually makes them a ton of money. Pretty much any fundraising tactic you see is happening because it works.

(I work in fundraising, though not in-person.)

This is what I was going to say! Also, the reason that the face-to-face fundraisers are sometimes so seemingly pushy on the street is that it's a really tough business, and if you don't get the minimum number of sign-ups on the street each day you get fired very quickly, which makes sense for the charity but is a very stressful environment to work in. It's also a job where, in my experience at least, it's really hard to get people to sign up at all (the standard target here is 2-3 sign-ups in an entire day) and people seem to think it's perfectly fine to abuse you on the street and no one walking by seems to care.

I know a lot of face-to-face fundraisers and I even did it for a few days about four years ago and quit because I hated it so much, mainly because I cared a lot about the charity and felt so helpless when people were so ambivalent or even aggressive when I talked to them about it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my vegetarian aunt asked me today where i got my protein.

my response?

"uhhh i dunno i eat a lot of beans and tofu"

vegan response fail

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:32 am 
Grandfathered In

The "correct" response:

Where do I get my protein? I don't. I died.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:06 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

allularpunk wrote:
I had dinner last night at a fancypants restaurant with a group of people. There's nothing vegan on the menu, so they made something up for me. It looked pretty awesome, spinach linguine with a ton of veggies in a tomato-y sauce. But all the veggies were cut super huge and were barely cooked, so it was pretty weird to eat. I ended up only having a couple of bites because I didn't like it, and felt like a douche since they made something special for me. I did take it home, though. Maybe I can salvage it somehow, like put it in a casserole dish and bake it til the veggies are tender, maybe.

I had the opposite experience at a work dinner the other night. They brought me quinoa and vegetables, but everything was so overcooked it was basically a pile of mush on a plate. I was hungry, so I ate it, but it was not good.

How can you be a professional cook and not know how to cook a vegetable?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:10 am 
Chard Martyr

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Last week a homeless guy asked for food or money, I offered my apple and he looked at me like I was insane.

My vegan pet peeve is my boyfriend loving really disgusting german meat/fish products :/

aw, that's a bummer! i gave a homeless guy an apple the other day and he was appreciative. Once I offered a homeless guy an apple and he showed me that he had no teeth. I wish I had a banana with me! Recently a kid on the train was asking for food and I had a tofurkey sandwich, so i gave it to him. He was inspecting it and said he was just checking to make sure it had no cheese.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 10606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318 ... 425  Next