| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323 ... 494  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:34 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I really don't understand why it's so hard for people to cook decent vegan meals. If you are a talented chef, you should be able to make something tasty and filling without meat and dairy.
Pro tip: boil pasta. Toss in beans, veggies, and tomato sauce. There it is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:51 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I think a lot of the time, the chefs are happily chopping veggies & boiling pasta for a vegan meal, and it's all going well until suddenly they'll have a moment of realization, like HOLD ON, I'M COOKING VEGAN WHAT DO I DO, and they panic and slop on some butter and cheese. And that's how so many promising vegan meals get ruined at restaurants.

It's kind of like how I'll be driving fine until I realise OMG I'M DRIVING and then I'll randomly veer into a hedge. Self-sabotage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:09 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Lavawitch, your story frightens me, as I have a THREE DAY conference coming up. They asked about dietary restrictions so I of course marked vegan and even jotted down what that is, just to be safe, but I have a feeling I'm going to starve. Or unintentionally carbo-load - hello oatmeal and french fries. And to add insult to injury, I'll have to be "on" because this is some sort of interacting with peers and management deal; see the Introverted thread. I'm dreading this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:41 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Before meeting acquaintances there for lunch I called a restaurant to ask about the only possibly vegan thing on their menu, vegetable soup. The answer, "Yes, it's vegetarian. We use chicken broth for flavor, but it doesn't have any meat in it". I sometimes wonder if people are pulling my leg when they say things like that.

The other day I was on the road for work and ordered delivery. There was a salad that sounded very good, but it came with ranch dressing. I asked if I could get a vinaigrette instead and was told, "it comes with ranch". I said that I understood that, but I don't eat dairy and would like to have vinaigrette. She then said, "well then, I guess you can have it with no dressing". Obviously, if I can have it with no dressing, the ranch is not already mixed in. I had been in the restaurant before and all the dressing is in takeaway cups in a cooler. How hard would it have been to put a cup of vinaigrette in my bag, instead of a cup of ranch?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:41 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

The Food and Drink Society in my college just posted a picture of a whole pig on a spit they were cooking. That I did not want to see... >.<

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:52 pm 
Semen Strong

Man videotaping his toddler chasing gooses and laughing. So I said "You know, its not very kind to the gooses to keep chasing them." And his response was "You stupid bisque, you need to get a life."

And then the interaction went downhill from there.

I hate that people do not give a shiitake about gooses.

ETA: there is a filter for the plural of goose, and I have no idea why, but now I am curious about the backstory!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:19 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Wow, the people you run into make me never want to stop in New Jersey!

You'd probably be horrified to see Violet at the beach - a good chunk of her time is usually spent chasing after seagulls, arms wide, shouting "HUGS! Hug zuh BIRD!" while I try to convince her that no, the seagulls don't need any hugs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:29 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

emmalv wrote:
Lavawitch, your story frightens me, as I have a THREE DAY conference coming up. They asked about dietary restrictions so I of course marked vegan and even jotted down what that is, just to be safe, but I have a feeling I'm going to starve. Or unintentionally carbo-load - hello oatmeal and french fries. And to add insult to injury, I'll have to be "on" because this is some sort of interacting with peers and management deal; see the Introverted thread. I'm dreading this.

I hate to say it, but prepare for the worst. You might get lucky with some nice pasta or something, but a lot of the time is is as bad as Lavawitch described

Here are some things that I usually bring with me when I travel, and meals are provided:

Flying, carry on only: Nut Butter (Justin's little packs), trail mix, roasted edamame, vegan jerky, bars galore (luna, cliff, lara etc), instant oatmeal

If I am checking a bag or driving: Fruit, instant meals (like soups and noodles), big jar of nut butter, crackers, maybe bread if driving. Always some soy or almond milk!

If I am driving AND staying in a hotel for more than a couple of days I bring a cooler, keep it full of ice, and buy refrigerated items from a local store or bring from home. Prepared entrees, hummus, soymilk, cereal, etc.

And I ALWAYS have some Vega with me. I hate that stuff, I think it is gross. But if I am eating crepe for a week, I choke one of those down a day to get protein and nutrients. At the very least, bring vitamins!

Oh, and my peeve right now, people calling fruits and vegetables 'vegan'.

That is not a 'vegan banana' its a forking banana. Just like yours and everyone else's!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:46 pm 
Semen Strong

annak wrote:
You'd probably be horrified to see Violet at the beach - a good chunk of her time is usually spent chasing after seagulls, arms wide, shouting "HUGS! Hug zuh BIRD!" while I try to convince her that no, the seagulls don't need any hugs.

Yes, but you're not goading her into chasing the birds and saying "Hey look there are more over there, let's go chase them!"

Leela tries to chase the gooses to hug them as well, but I do the same thing you do - I explain that the gooses want to be left alone to enjoy eating their grass.

Maybe its not a big deal to chase gooses, but that is why I put it in the vegan pet peeves thread. I feel like assuming that animals have feelings and deserve compassion is one of those side effects of being vegan that sometimes make it hard to operate in a world where many people (and the law) see animals as being objects at best or at worst pests.

Another example is that there is a person torturing, dismembering and killing cats and dumping them in people's yards in South Jersey, and there isn't any media attention and according to my friend working in rescue there, the police aren't very interested in finding the person who is doing it, because s/he is targeting feral colonies.

I really want to move to California, now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:51 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Gosh, you are such a bad vegan T'lish. All gooses deserve a hug.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:03 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela trying to feed and hug the gooses!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ndpittman wrote:
I'm so glad your mom had a tofu scramble for you! I hope you got some great things out of the conference. I wish one of those things would have been a decent meal...

Hah! Yeah, it was great, meals aside. Though it was scary to meet some of the people teaching math. Yikes! I learned that most adult ed instructors mostly have language/writing backgrounds and the math is just an addon to their skillset, and they are up to speed "enough" to teach the minimum GED level math, but mostly dislike math and are not comfortable with math. They are freaking the fork out over the changes to the 2014 math test.

No wonder I was hired on the spot, even with no experience! I know they were thrilled with my math background, but I had no idea how dire the situation is around the state.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

emmalv wrote:

Bring snacks. I neglected to do this, so I can't really whine. Don't expect to be fed, and it will all be peachy. It wouldn't have been as bad for me if I could eat rice, though does anybody like unseasoned, plain brown rice?

In retrospect, I should have had: some hummus to stash in hotel mini fridge and some crackers. Also, a couple of those add hot water soups or rice bowls. Surely the hotel can providevuitton water! I did get a yogurt and ate that instead of my canned green beans.

I'm a little upset about the green beans. It was so insulting!

I'm introverted too, but I actually like stuff like this. I can be extroverted among people I don't really know for short spurts. I could not have handled the drive with my colleagues though, so I sucked up paying for my own gas in order to not be trapped in a car with people for 4 hours. I also slink back off to the room at earliest opportunity. Maybe you can find a bolt hole for brief respites. In most cases, there should be 15-20 minute periods here and there where you can safely make yourself scarce. This especially works well if you are seen chatting with a small group right as you disappear, so of anybody looks for you, you've just been seen so people will say they just saw you and that you are around. If you need anymore tips on being antisocial while pretending to be lively and involved, let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:58 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah last time I went somewhere where food was provided and stayed at a hotel, I took a cooler and a blender. I made my own smoothies. I think I also made a chickpea salad and some other stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You have some passive gooses there. The gooses at my park don't back down from big dogs. In fact, they chase them off the path. They will sometimes occupy the street.

Another reason not to chase them is that they can attack...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:59 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I had a similar problem when we were visiting my BFF, and her 5 year old wanted to chase birds. So of course my 3 year old, who idolizes the 5 year old, wanted to chase the birds too. It's really awkward when the person being the jerk to wildlife is someone you know. My poor little dude was sort of caught in the middle of understanding that the birds are scared and don't want to be chased, that he would not like to be in their shoes, but also wanting to do everything his buddy was doing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:08 pm 
Cranky

Vantine wrote:
You have some passive gooses there. The gooses at my park don't back down from big dogs. In fact, they chase them off the path. They will sometimes occupy the street.

+1
gooses are pretty mean when they want to be. They can also fly away!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Dr. Apricot wrote:
Vantine wrote:

+1
gooses are pretty mean when they want to be. They can also fly away!

These birds hiss at cars. They surround the old ladies who feed them as if they are the Swiss Guard. (The old ladies actually helped catch a poacher who was "stealing" their wild ducks to sell them in a flea market. Almost as mean as the gooses...)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:27 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

lavawitch wrote:
emmalv wrote:

Bring snacks. I neglected to do this, so I can't really whine. Don't expect to be fed, and it will all be peachy. It wouldn't have been as bad for me if I could eat rice, though does anybody like unseasoned, plain brown rice?

Yes to bringing snacks. But we all have a right to decent food when the conference organizers have been notified in advance. If we let them walk all over us, the situation will never get better. So ifthey fall short, nicely let them know about the problem, make suggestions, and if they can't (or won't) do better, take it to management. Follow through by writing letters of complaint afterward, and let your conference organizers know of the problems you encountered too. Of course be polite and respectful through it all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:45 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Chester and I got chased by some gooses once. Horrifying. I like to think maybe the daddy goose was goading his horrendous kid goose to do that to us for a good photo op.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:47 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

1) Gooses and child picture is adorable

2) If your employer paid the Sheraton $66/day for your meals, canned green beans and plain rice is horrible. I would want to complain but at the same time wouldn't want to draw attention to myself. But that for sure is a pet peeve of mine, food included for everybody but me. I am the queen of the protein bar in these situations. I also always have food (like tofurky slices and salads/grilled veg from whole foods) in my room refrigerator so I can scurry off if we have a lunch break. The grocery store is the first place I hit when I get into a new town. It still peas me off to have to do that though.

3) Chicki - which vega are you eating that is so disgusting? Is it the vega one? The vega sport (blue pack, chocolate) is much tastier. Vega is so goddamned expensive that I hate to think of someone choking down $3.50 - 4.00 worth of powder. It should at least be drinkable (which the chocolate vega sport is, to me at least).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:30 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I hated vega chocolate, too. I realized I just shouldn't drink protein drinks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 am 
WRETCHED

I was terrified of gooses due to an experience when I was 4 (good job mom giving the 4 year old a bag of bread to feed the gooses with). I've grown to be ok with them as we have a ton near us. They hiss at my dogs and yes they will not move. The worst is someone decides to feed the gooses in the middle of the walking path.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:53 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Fee wrote:
Chester and I got chased by some gooses once. Horrifying. I like to think maybe the daddy goose was goading his horrendous kid goose to do that to us for a good photo op.
This idea pleases me. (Glad you and Chester got away!)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:42 am 
Bathes in Braggs

lavawitch" If you need anymore tips on being antisocial while pretending to be lively and involved, let me know.[/quote]

This made me chuckle. Will do. The conference is actually in Las Vegas, so if it gets really rough (social wise or food wise) I'm a 20 minute drive to my house. But there will be a lot of togetherness planned, even at night....

[quote="Jill wrote:
Yes to bringing snacks. But we all have a right to decent food when the conference organizers have been notified in advance. If we let them walk all over us, the situation will never get better. So ifthey fall short, nicely let them know about the problem, make suggestions, and if they can't (or won't) do better, take it to management. Follow through by writing letters of complaint afterward, and let your conference organizers know of the problems you encountered too. Of course be polite and respectful through it all.

And yes, I think I'll bring a cooler just in case, but I like this advice. (cue triumphant superhero music) I will stand up for the vegans and the dietary restricted forced to eat in conferences and other such organized groups!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323 ... 494  Next