| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325 ... 425  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:50 am 
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 4873
Location: A New England
Arisaig wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly, Desdemona. I have a lot of these people in my life, good and well-intentioned people whom I love, but I would like them to stop lying to themselves and expecting congratulations (sometimes from me!) for choosing "humane" meat.

One of them told me they visited the farm where their pigs were raised for pork and "the farmer loves those pigs". I had to hold my tongue from saying "Like you love your kids?".
I would love to just say things like that (and I confess that sometimes I can't help myself), but it never leads anywhere useful or productive. People are very adept at lying to themselves to avoid looking what they're doing in the (actual) face and calling it what it is. Because just not eating animals is so much harder than the complex mental and semantic gymnastics reflected in meaningless, feel-good phrases like "humane," "family farm," "hand-raised," etc., right? RIGHT?
FootFace wrote:
I like the "wherever possible."

In other words, when it's convenient I will go ahead and make this slight change. When it's not convenient I won't even do that much.

Yeah, don't be a hero.
THIS. Oh my god, this. Because, you know, sometimes you just have no choice except to eat a Big Mac, right? Or a pepperoni pizza from down the block. Or everything that is easy and convenient. I mean, there's no point in setting impossible standards like some crazy extremist.

_________________
You can always politely suggest a ham alternative. ~ vijita
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:33 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:53 pm
Posts: 2230
stellamarie wrote:

3) Chicki - which vega are you eating that is so disgusting? Is it the vega one? The vega sport (blue pack, chocolate) is much tastier. Vega is so goddamned expensive that I hate to think of someone choking down $3.50 - 4.00 worth of powder. It should at least be drinkable (which the chocolate vega sport is, to me at least).


I can't stand any of them, sadly. I think it is the stevia in them.

I just buy the little individual packages when I travel and expense them. Always the one that has the huge amount of protein and vitamins. But yes, I kind of literally choke them down. The vanilla chai is the least repulsive to me. I think the Chai kind of makes the stevia a little less noticeable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:48 pm 
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:08 pm
Posts: 1573
oh the other night I had a newish vegan lecture me on how "it's all about the environment, not preventing suffering!" because he apparently feels that my desire to not contribute to animal suffering is not a strong, valid enough reason to be vegan. Uh STFU, I've been vegan for 5 years and vegetarian my whole life! can't we all have our own reasons?
and a minor peeve - some company randomly sent a tiny box of brownies to my office (they want to be our vendor for something or other, I'm not even sure what). Wooo unexpected brownies, ya know except I'm sure they aren't vegan and I have no way of knowing so I gave em to my boss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 11075
Location: VA
I bet they totally buy free range eggs when they are on sale too!

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:20 pm 
Nooch of Earl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3396
Location: Bella Napoli
If I had a dollar for every person I know who has switched to eating only "humane" meat who later makes references to going out for McDo, I would be in a different tax bracket.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:10 pm 
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 4873
Location: A New England
lavawitch wrote:
I bet they totally buy free range eggs when they are on sale too!
annak wrote:
If I had a dollar for every person I know who has switched to eating only "humane" meat who later makes references to going out for McDo, I would be in a different tax bracket.
I've probably posted about this before, but my partner's sister does this kind of stuff. On the one hand, she and her husband are pretty cool: they live in an eco-friendly house that they designed themselves, basically in the middle of the woods, they grow veggies and use solar power and run their car on recycled cooking oil and do all kinds of awesomeness. They're also way into the whole locavore thing, and talk a big game about locally sourced, humanely raised eggs, meat, etc. thing, but any time we see her she just orders whatever with no questions asked. And on one recent occasion when they met at a restaurant and my partner (who's been vegan for about 6 years now) was just having coffee, she asked if he wanted some of her chicken caesar salad if she "just picked off the chicken." Thanks just the same, but no. (And don't even get me started on my paleo niece. AARRGGHH.)

_________________
You can always politely suggest a ham alternative. ~ vijita
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:48 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
FootFace wrote:
I like the "wherever possible."

In other words, when it's convenient I will go ahead and make this slight change. When it's not convenient I won't even do that much.

Yeah, don't be a hero.

Yuuuuup. It's funny, I've gotten by on dry pretzels and ice berg lettuce and/or nothing at many a family gathering, but apparently a single meal without meat because there's no "humane" option is not possible. Huh.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:06 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am
Posts: 2532
Location: SF Bay area
I just had such a bingo card moment! At the cafeteria today they were serving a tofu stir fry and a chicken stir fry but the tofu was two different colors and was very dense and textured strips (I think it might be Hodo?) so it looked like pieces of beef and chicken. I asked one of the staff if it was the vegetarian dish and the lady behind me was like, "ugh, why do they make it look like meat??? I like normal tofu just fine, don't you?!" So I put on my vegan hat and said some meat eaters don't like tofu but do like vegetarian dishes when the protein is similar to meat. (I know that's not the only reason, but I wasn't expecting a conversation about the merits of meat analogs!) Then she grumbled that if the dish was that good it wouldn't have to imitate meat and reiterated how much she liked tofu. She got the chicken stir fry.

_________________
http://hotveganchickpeas.wordpress.com (food blog)
http://baybalcony.wordpress.com (gardening blog)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:45 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4527
Location: WV
One of my yoga instructors was talking to me a couple weeks ago about veganism because she knows I teach some cooking classes. I guess she's mostly vegan, but she said she 'waffles'. Ok, no big deal, because I really don't care. So last night I'm getting ready for one of her classes, taking my shoes off and all that jazz, and another student gives her some sort of fancy cheese, which she accepts. I honestly didn't even blink an eye, because I figure she eats cheese anyway, and also I still don't care. She couldn't even see my face if I had made a look or something, because my back was to them. But she says, as she's taking it, I guess, 'Ok, but don't tell [allularpunk]!'

I just said, 'I really don't care what other people eat!' Because, you know...I don't. Care.

I mean, I know that in the grand spectrum I care because I'm ethically opposed to consuming animal products, but I'm not trying to convert anyone, because everyone makes up their own minds. And I've never, ever come off as a preachy vegan. I just don't comment when people talk about their delicious meaty cheesy stuff. So why does this woman want to hide her cheese from me? Just don't make me eat it, lady!

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:55 am 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
I never really know what to say to that... On the one hand, I don't want to police what anyone else eats, but I also worry that saying "Oh I don't care what you eat" sounds like "oh its no big deal to eat meat." Which isn't exactly what I think - I think it makes a big difference to not eat or use animal products otherwise I wouldn't be vegan!

Its really interesting to hear what others do! I am in the smile and shrug stage at the moment, for pretty much everything at the moment, because it just doesn't seem to make much difference when I engage with people on these issues. Its just awkward, pointless and stressful for everyone concerned.

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:00 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4527
Location: WV
Yeah, sometimes I wish I could have the courage to engage people when the topic comes up...and I do if they ask me questions or seem like they want my opinion. But I kind of figure that if they don't want my opinion (or, you know, the facts) in the first place, then they're not going to be receptive to hearing it when I give it. Also, I'm really, really terrible about my tone sounding exasperated or harsh because it's just how I talk, so I have to be careful about wording and tone and all that, and also confrontation is the worst, so...

I'm just kind of living in my own little vegan bubble at the moment. I just wish people would quit apologizing to me for the things they eat. If you're really sorry about it, quit eating it, but don't act like I'm judging you or something.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:12 am 
Saggy Butt
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am
Posts: 1168
Location: Nova Scotia
Ugh, that sort of thing happens to me a lot, allularpunk. Not just with food but with exercise as well. I am not going to give you a gold star or a bop on the head - act like an self-determining adult for goodness sake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:02 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 4677
Location: United States of New England
I'm watching Top Chef and Lea Michele is a guest on it and the chefs have to cater a party for her. So she starts off saying she loves a vegan lifestyle..........buuuuut....when she wants to treat herself she goes vegetarian and then she spends a good 5 minutes exclaiming how amazing cheese is and she loves cheese and make things cheesy.

Ugh

_________________
Damn dirty vegan hippies and their carob.~~Moon

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:55 am 
Nooch of Earl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3396
Location: Bella Napoli
Why is there no big bag of fun size Jokerz bars?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:56 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4527
Location: WV
annak wrote:
Why is there no big bag of fun size Jokerz bars?


SERIOUSLY. I am so jealous of all the candy my dude bought for handing out to trick or treaters. It is probably for the best, but still.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:59 am 
Naked Under Apron
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 1739
Location: NYC/Schenectady, NY
annak wrote:
Why is there no big bag of fun size Jokerz bars?


A Go Max Go grab bag! I wouldn't be handing it out to trick or treaters.

_________________
If a milkshake is going to change the world then it should be at least be an Oreo one. - daisychain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:01 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4527
Location: WV
blondiefk wrote:
annak wrote:
Why is there no big bag of fun size Jokerz bars?


A Go Max Go grab bag! I wouldn't be handing it out to trick or treaters.


Yeah, no way, I'd just eat one every time a fellow adult eats a piece of Halloween candy in front of me. Which it seems is, like, every 10 minutes this week.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:52 pm 
Nooch of Earl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3396
Location: Bella Napoli
We're handing out Skittles and Sour Patches. They're vegan enough, I guess, and that's fine, but I've been handing out Skittles since they've been vegan and I'm bored with them. But I'm too cheap to hand out full size jokerz, which are a couple bucks apiece. Plus who could part with full size Jokerz? No.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:53 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:16 pm
Posts: 161
Location: UK
So it's a stupid little peeve, but that's why I'm putting it here for my fellow vegan :)

I'm getting tired of seeing a particular advert for a kid's game on TV. The toy is a plastic cow with a giant udder, and the point of the game is to yank on her teats to collect milk bottles and avoid 'pats'. The game is over when her eyes bulge out of her head. Evert time it's on, I'm totally What. The. Fork?

Seriously, I thought the collecting dog poop game was bad, but at least it didn't focus on the poor dairy cows :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:20 pm 
Nailed to the V
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 5:31 pm
Posts: 583
Wow. What? That is really forked up. And a weird little part of me wants to see that ad because I like to get pissed off and stunned sometimes. Although maybe not, I have difficulty with faith in humans as it is.

_________________
i think it's o.k. to flirt with cheese in that way, as long as you and the cheese both know that it's all in good fun and no one's feelings are getting hurt. -acr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:25 pm 
Nooch of Earl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3396
Location: Bella Napoli
Gross!! I can't imagine wanting to play with that, even back when I ate dairy…


ETA: I googled and found this, which seems like a similar toy from the '70s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stblRudM-4I

Violet would probably love a toy like this if it were a human instead of a cow, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:30 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:16 pm
Posts: 161
Location: UK
Here you go. Maybe I'm just being super-vegan, but I find it uncomfortable:
Silly Moo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRsXmDjjKzY

Oh, and here's Doggie Doo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyOD1C67J0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:34 pm 
Nailed to the V
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 5:31 pm
Posts: 583
ewwww. Silly moo strikes me as kind of misogynistic as well. Now maybe I'm being a bit oversensitive, but I don't think so.

_________________
i think it's o.k. to flirt with cheese in that way, as long as you and the cheese both know that it's all in good fun and no one's feelings are getting hurt. -acr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:40 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:16 pm
Posts: 161
Location: UK
jean wrote:
ewwww. Silly moo strikes me as kind of misogynistic as well. Now maybe I'm being a bit oversensitive, but I don't think so.


I'm glad you said that, because I was picking up on a bit of misogyny too :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:45 pm 
Nailed to the V
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 5:31 pm
Posts: 583
Hazel wrote:
jean wrote:
ewwww. Silly moo strikes me as kind of misogynistic as well. Now maybe I'm being a bit oversensitive, but I don't think so.


I'm glad you said that, because I was picking up on a bit of misogyny too :(



Yeah. It really just is gross and wrong for so many reasons. *sigh. I don't blame you for being bothered by the ad playing on TV.

_________________
i think it's o.k. to flirt with cheese in that way, as long as you and the cheese both know that it's all in good fun and no one's feelings are getting hurt. -acr


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 10603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325 ... 425  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Exabot [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer