| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328 ... 532  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Confectioners glaze.

I went to Williams & Sonoma, Target and Michael's thinking that I could find sprinkles or colored sugar for cupcakes for Leela's birthday. But no, it was all laden with confectioners glaze. I just wanted something pretty! Hey, whatevs I have raspberries.

Also, I thought this was interesting - lots of food colorings are tested on animals. So I guess those wouldn't be vegan for many people either. http://www.yourdailyvegan.com/2011/10/1 ... od-colors/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:34 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

linanil wrote:
We had a ton of trick or treaters. Sometimes I hear complaints because we don't give out chocolate bars and our other neighbors do but I had no complaints this year. I did give out some peanut chews but mostly it was swedish fish, dots, sour patch kids, etc.

We only got 2 and were throwing the peanut butter cups at them, so excited were we.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:34 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Tofulish, Walmart carries at least one variety of vegan sprinkles. I think the brand is Cakemate? They're not all vegan, but the multi-colored disc-shaped ones are. Or at least they were last time I bought them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just looked up peanut chews for the first time because whenever people here are talking about them I think they are chik o stick like thing, which I find too sticky and hurt my teeth. Now that I know what they are, my pet peeve is that I've never seen them in real life. Any stores sell them that are chains so I may be able to find them? What gas stations or stores sell them in michigan, does anyone know? No rite aid near me...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:56 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Amazon seems to sell them. I don't know if I want to commit to a case of them before I've tried them, but it seems like a source.

Haven't checked Rite Aid or the commissary yet, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:06 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

annak, I will commit to a case (well, a bulk bag of the small ones) of them and send you a couple. I need to try these and I haven't ever seen them in a commissary.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

I didn't realize that peanut chews had chocolate! I was envisioning something much more boring. Will have to keep my eye out for them. Since that one day after I went vegan and checked every single candy bar at Speedway for milk and eggs and found that exactly zero of them were vegan, I stopped looking at any candy bar that isn't sold in a health food store.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:16 pm 
Semen Strong

I like Peanut Chews - the chocolate is yum, but I find the peanut inner a bit too chewy for my liking. I can get them here, but I don't really seek them out. Chick-o-sticks however are insanely good. They have them at Staples, just fyi Torque! I can get you some next time we see you.

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/ ... 94741684-2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

Chic-o-sticks are freaking fantastic, but I never see them anywhere! They soothe my sadness over not eating Butterfingers anymore.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:20 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I NEVER EVER would have thought of looking in Staples! O-o

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:21 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Peanut Chews were the sad kosher Snickers of my childhood and thus I will love them forever. I feel similarly about Hydrox, mourning them forever.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:23 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Tofulish wrote:
Confectioners glaze.

I went to Williams & Sonoma, Target and Michael's thinking that I could find sprinkles or colored sugar for cupcakes for Leela's birthday. But no, it was all laden with confectioners glaze. I just wanted something pretty! Hey, whatevs I have raspberries.

If there's time to order something online, look for Lieber's, which is a kosher brand that doesn't use confectioners glaze. Whatever you do, don't waste money on Let's Do Sprinkelz. The colors are all sad shades of gray.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:25 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for the tip! We have a big Orthodox community near us. Maybe I'll go check out the big Kosher market down the street. I have been able to get some pretty rad vegan sweeties there, including the Lieber vegan butterscotch chips....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:03 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

allularpunk wrote:
Chic-o-sticks are freaking fantastic, but I never see them anywhere! They soothe my sadness over not eating Butterfingers anymore.

It's really really easy to make a Butterfingers-type recipe. Boil up sugar, add peanut butter, cut into sticks, coat in chocolate. They were the easiest candy I've made (well, the easiest that involved melted sugar, anyway). I think I found the recipe through a thread on this forum.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

dropscone wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

It's really really easy to make a Butterfingers-type recipe. Boil up sugar, add peanut butter, cut into sticks, coat in chocolate. They were the easiest candy I've made (well, the easiest that involved melted sugar, anyway). I think I found the recipe through a thread on this forum.

I've seen blog posts about this and it does seem really easy...but one of the things I love about candy is that it's immediate and I don't have to work for it! Haha...I'm incredibly lazy when it comes to anything sweet. I've still got that old pre-vegan mindset of just impulse buying sweet things. Guess they're not as important to me as I thought they were, since I'm too lazy to recreate them at home!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
Confectioners glaze.

Also, I thought this was interesting - lots of food colorings are tested on animals. So I guess those wouldn't be vegan for many people either. http://www.yourdailyvegan.com/2011/10/1 ... od-colors/

What? Colored sugar has confectioners glaze now? What's the world's coming to?!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just read a tirade about how bad all of the gore on Halloween is. It is offensive to this person to have references to headstones, zombies, death, etc. and that society is bad for glamorizing violence with shows like Dexter and Walking Dead. She ends this rant by saying, "Ok, off my soap box now. Time to go roast my turkey."

So let me get this straight. Fake violence against people = bad. Real violence against animals = hilarious. Gotcha.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:01 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

torque wrote:

I've only ever seen Chic-o-sticks in weird places that aren't actually candy stores. Namely Staples, AC Moore and Michaels. None of those places around me carry them anymore, though.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:15 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

mollyjade wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Confectioners glaze.

If there's time to order something online, look for Lieber's, which is a kosher brand that doesn't use confectioners glaze. Whatever you do, don't waste money on Let's Do Sprinkelz. The colors are all sad shades of gray.

Also they are the crunchiest sprinkles I've ever had! Truly awful.

India Tree makes colored sugar sprinkles, and they have them at WF here...but they are a million dollars.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:36 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

How is it that you folks in big US cities don't have peanut chews or chick-o-sticks? I live on Guam and we have both. I was unaware that I am in the midst of tropical vegan candy paradise.

We don't, however, have fancy sprinkles like India Tree. You can make pretty colored sugar sparkles with the Wilton paste color though:

http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/2012/01/ ... ing-sugar/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

I FOUND CHICK-O-STIX! I know this is the peeves thread but I found them in a jar at the liquor store last night and bought one. I barely remember it but I remember liking it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:49 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

So I'm in a vegan body building and fitness group on FB, and someone posted about being an "ovo-vegan." I know I should just chill out, but the semantic issue bothers me more than the vegan issue. And then people were saying we were "attacking" the kid by pointing out the inconsistency. But as you all have experienced at some point, I'm sure, this is one of the reasons people have no idea what "vegan" means. "Oh, I have a vegan friend that eats eggs, so all vegans must eat them..." Kind of reasoning. And I don't blame them if the word keeps getting watered down like that. Then we have people changing the meaning of "literally." Harrumph. Stay off my lawn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:51 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

kilgore trout wrote:
torque wrote:

I've only ever seen Chic-o-sticks in weird places that aren't actually candy stores. Namely Staples, AC Moore and Michaels. None of those places around me carry them anymore, though.

Dollar General has them. I bet Family Dollar probably does too. Rural King is where we usually buy them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:53 am 
Seagull of the PPK

well i looked in a dollar surplus yesterday and no luck. but will keep on looking.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:55 am 
WRETCHED

ndpittman wrote:
So I'm in a vegan body building and fitness group on FB, and someone posted about being an "ovo-vegan." I know I should just chill out, but the semantic issue bothers me more than the vegan issue. And then people were saying we were "attacking" the kid by pointing out the inconsistency. But as you all have experienced at some point, I'm sure, this is one of the reasons people have no idea what "vegan" means. "Oh, I have a vegan friend that eats eggs, so all vegans must eat them..." Kind of reasoning. And I don't blame them if the word keeps getting watered down like that. Then we have people changing the meaning of "literally." Harrumph. Stay off my lawn.

Oh... invite me to the group!?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328 ... 532  Next