| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331 ... 482  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

choirqueer wrote:
CQ: Actually, I never learned to bake before I was vegan, so I don't even know how to bake with eggs.

Me too me too! Or me neither me neither? Either way, baking twins!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Fee wrote:
I've been watching Cutthroat Kitchen* a lot and there are a scary number of trained chefs who don't know that you can make things like pancakes or ice cream without eggs. I've straight up seen one of them scrap their ice cream because they didn't have eggs.

That is absurd!

Related, my sweetheart has been eating pancakes with no eggs in them for years now and will now point them out on brunch menus to me as things I can eat because the egg factor is lost to the sands of time. "But there're no eggs in pancakes!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Fee wrote:
I've been watching Cutthroat Kitchen* a lot and there are a scary number of trained chefs who don't know that you can make things like pancakes or ice cream without eggs. I've straight up seen one of them scrap their ice cream because they didn't have eggs.

I saw that too! I just laughed at them. That show is pretty fun. I want to be the person who comes up with the ideas like "make them cook pancakes on a tin can!"

I recently watched two episodes of Chef Wanted, which is a competition show where four chefs compete to get a job at a restaurant. There are a couple of tests to eliminate two of them, and then the remaining two each have to run the kitchen for a dinner service. In both of the episodes I watched, there was a guest who requested something vegan that was not on the menu, and the host/owner/was just like "oh, ok, let me go talk to the chef." And the one chef was French and was like "well, I'm French, EVERYTHING I cook has BUTTER in it!" but at least he seemed to know what vegan meant. The other one had a request for both vegan and gluten-free, and he fixated on the gluten-free and prepared some sort of goat-meat appetizer but without the bread part. And then the owner was just like standing there shaking his head and going "no, no, she doesn't eat MEAT!" And the chef was like "oh ok, I'll make the [whatever the dairy-laden dish was]" and the owner was like "no, no dairy either!" In both cases the chefs were TOTALLY flummoxed and it really slowed them down. Which to be fair might be partially a general receiving a special order in the midst of a busy service problem. I'm not sure if I thought it was sucky and possibly showing vegan food as a "problem," or kind of cool that they had people ordering vegan food and the host/owner was just "oh, cool, I'll see what the chef can make you!" I would never just go to a restaurant that was not vegan or vegetarian and expect them to magically come up with something for me though! I think one person ended up with some sort of veggie sautee, and the other one with a salad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:14 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Pixel, I saw that Chef Wanted too. For a week my husband's favorite thing was to walk around the kitchen while I cooked and say:

she's vegan.
Lamb?
no, she's vegan
Fish?

He thought it was amusing but I chastised him for trivializing the plights of Vegans Eating In Omni Restaurants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The pancake thing is one of my biggest pet peeves.or was, when I lived in Bburg. The veg cafe had great tofu scramble (yay!) but put honey in their BBQ sauce (their BBQ tofu scramble was my favorite pregan) and only ever made vegan pancakes on "special" occasions. It was bizarre. Clearly, they know how to make them, and clearly they have a vegan clientele, so what's the problem? Why not just make them all vegan?

And yet, other stuff like their mayo was always vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:33 am 
Nailed to the V

At my nephew's second birthday party a few weeks ago, my brother kindly informed me that they had discussed getting some kind of protein for me, but decided not to bother. (The menu was chicken with roast root veggies and a sourcream sauce, so I could eat the root veggies. Filling, but really really dull.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:14 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

maybe not a pet peeve....but people at the boyfriend's work are stealing lunches. i told him last night 'no one will steal yours - they know it's vegan'...however the boyfriend gets an awesome lunch: tofurky/tomato/fyh sandwich, sweet chili doritos (or maple bacon chips), a primal strip jerky, annie's sweet & salty popcorn (or roasted almonds w/ raisins), a sweet surprise (chick o stick mini or a justin pb cup) and water...i pack it up every night using reusable containers/bags and a cloth napkin (i save the tmnt or simpsons print for him!)...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

pixel wrote:
Fee wrote:

I saw that too! I just laughed at them. That show is pretty fun. I want to be the person who comes up with the ideas like "make them cook pancakes on a tin can!"

I recently watched two episodes of Chef Wanted, which is a competition show where four chefs compete to get a job at a restaurant. There are a couple of tests to eliminate two of them, and then the remaining two each have to run the kitchen for a dinner service. In both of the episodes I watched, there was a guest who requested something vegan that was not on the menu, and the host/owner/was just like "oh, ok, let me go talk to the chef." And the one chef was French and was like "well, I'm French, EVERYTHING I cook has BUTTER in it!" but at least he seemed to know what vegan meant. The other one had a request for both vegan and gluten-free, and he fixated on the gluten-free and prepared some sort of goat-meat appetizer but without the bread part. And then the owner was just like standing there shaking his head and going "no, no, she doesn't eat MEAT!" And the chef was like "oh ok, I'll make the [whatever the dairy-laden dish was]" and the owner was like "no, no dairy either!" In both cases the chefs were TOTALLY flummoxed and it really slowed them down. Which to be fair might be partially a general receiving a special order in the midst of a busy service problem. I'm not sure if I thought it was sucky and possibly showing vegan food as a "problem," or kind of cool that they had people ordering vegan food and the host/owner was just "oh, cool, I'll see what the chef can make you!" I would never just go to a restaurant that was not vegan or vegetarian and expect them to magically come up with something for me though! I think one person ended up with some sort of veggie sautee, and the other one with a salad.

This! I always check out a menu before I go to a place. If it doesn't have some options for me then I don't go. I have to say while in Vegas not long ago someone organized a dinner at a French place. I checked out the menu and seeing nothing for me I declined the invitation. The person who organized the dinner was so great, she called the place and explained to them. I showed up and was lavished with one of the best meals I've had in a long time. The chef went out of his way to create an app and main that was totally vegan and totally awesome. Then the manager came over wanting to make sure the meal was great and to say he just went vegan a few months ago and was so happy about it. Yeah!

But that doesn't always happen. Two nights later, another dinner at a fancy place owned by a very well known chef. I asked if they could make a vegan meal, and they said oh yes. I showed up and the waiter became very snotty with me and pointed out the sides that can be made with oil. My $50 meal that night was cold mushrooms in sherry and wilted greens swimming in oil. I still can't understand the waiters anger, like because I'm vegan I'm not tipping him or something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:39 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

lavawitch wrote:
The pancake thing is one of my biggest pet peeves.or was, when I lived in Bburg. The veg cafe had great tofu scramble (yay!) but put honey in their BBQ sauce (their BBQ tofu scramble was my favorite pregan) and only ever made vegan pancakes on "special" occasions. It was bizarre. Clearly, they know how to make them, and clearly they have a vegan clientele, so what's the problem? Why not just make them all vegan?

And yet, other stuff like their mayo was always vegan.

There's a vegetarian cafe/coffee house where my sister-in-law lives and they have vegan and non-vegan pancakes, both Brian and his sister get the vegan ones because they're super good, until one time the guy came back out and told my SIL, "We're out of the stuff to make vegan pancakes, would you like the regular ones or something else?" And she was like "Yeah, the non-vegan ones, that's fine." 1. What is in the vegan pancakes that isn't in the regular pancakes that they're out of? 2. The regular pancakes came full of oats. Not quick oats, whole, giant, flakes of uncooked oats. We made many jokes about feedbags.

Also they always bring you butter with the vegan pancakes. Always.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:26 pm 
Grandfathered In

PorshaJo wrote:
I still can't understand the waiters anger, like because I'm vegan I'm not tipping him or something.

Vegans harm the fabric of society. I really think that's what people think. By ordering this or that, or not wanting to eat this or that, you are challenging things that must not be questioned. You are non-compliant, thereby underscoring everyone else's compliance, which rankles them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My homemade vegan butter didn't set evenly and has a layer of solid fat on top.

Actually. I should probably put that in the Perks thread...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:03 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

FootFace wrote:
PorshaJo wrote:
I still can't understand the waiters anger, like because I'm vegan I'm not tipping him or something.

Vegans harm the fabric of society. I really think that's what people think. By ordering this or that, or not wanting to eat this or that, you are challenging things that must not be questioned. You are non-compliant, thereby underscoring everyone else's compliance, which rankles them.
Also, vegans are only allowed to eat green things, right? And money is green! So he probably figured you'd already eaten his tip, thereby thrusting him into poverty. Which would explain his rage. Or something.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:14 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Argggh I went to the commissary when I was starving and the shelf stable pasta with sauce things caught my eye and I didn't realize until I'd gotten home that I'd accidentally bought bigot pasta (barilla). Dammit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:20 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

PorshaJo wrote:
pixel wrote:
Fee wrote:

This! I always check out a menu before I go to a place. If it doesn't have some options for me then I don't go. I have to say while in Vegas not long ago someone organized a dinner at a French place. I checked out the menu and seeing nothing for me I declined the invitation. The person who organized the dinner was so great, she called the place and explained to them. I showed up and was lavished with one of the best meals I've had in a long time. The chef went out of his way to create an app and main that was totally vegan and totally awesome. Then the manager came over wanting to make sure the meal was great and to say he just went vegan a few months ago and was so happy about it. Yeah!

But that doesn't always happen. Two nights later, another dinner at a fancy place owned by a very well known chef. I asked if they could make a vegan meal, and they said oh yes. I showed up and the waiter became very snotty with me and pointed out the sides that can be made with oil. My $50 meal that night was cold mushrooms in sherry and wilted greens swimming in oil. I still can't understand the waiters anger, like because I'm vegan I'm not tipping him or something.

Do you mind sharing the name of the French restaurant? I live in Las Vegas, so if I'm in the mood for hoity toity meal (or more likely get dragged to the Strip when out of town people come to visit) I'd like to keep it in mind.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

emmalv wrote:
PorshaJo wrote:

Do you mind sharing the name of the French restaurant? I live in Las Vegas, so if I'm in the mood for hoity toity meal (or more likely get dragged to the Strip when out of town people come to visit) I'd like to keep it in mind.

Its PAYARD PATISSERIE & BISTRO in Caesars Palace. Also, any place in the Wynn is awesome for vegan food. And that place in general is quite hoity toity. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:09 am 
Discovered unobtainium

missmuffcake wrote:
maybe not a pet peeve....but people at the boyfriend's work are stealing lunches. i told him last night 'no one will steal yours - they know it's vegan'...however the boyfriend gets an awesome lunch: tofurky/tomato/fyh sandwich, sweet chili doritos (or maple bacon chips), a primal strip jerky, annie's sweet & salty popcorn (or roasted almonds w/ raisins), a sweet surprise (chick o stick mini or a justin pb cup) and water...i pack it up every night using reusable containers/bags and a cloth napkin (i save the tmnt or simpsons print for him!)...

Hello! Want to come be my lunch lady?

People are jerks. I worked someplace like that and just always hoped lunch karma got them bad at some point. Who does that though?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:45 am 
Level 7 Vegan

annak wrote:
Argggh I went to the commissary when I was starving and the shelf stable pasta with sauce things caught my eye and I didn't realize until I'd gotten home that I'd accidentally bought bigot pasta (barilla). Dammit.

Read this! Barilla is planning "inclusive" ads and has implemented a diversity panel. I guess the media backlash made them worry about their profits.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/ ... O020131104

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:50 am 
Seagull of the PPK

well that was a pretty fast "never".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:19 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I wonder if a half-ass attempt is enough to get back on board. I miss those shelf stable pasta thingies!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:39 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks PorshaJo, I'll keep that place on my list.
I know, Wynn is totally hoity toity. My husband and I were out and about and decided to play tourist and go grab a cocktail and appetizers on the Strip. We went to an Asian place at Wynn and each had 1 cocktail and 1 appetizer, and then another appetizer to split. $80. gulp. It was tasty though, and the drinks were frou frou lemongrass martinis or something so were pbly more than a normal drink.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:46 pm 

I have a really good/horrible 'pet peeves about other vegans'.

So there's this girl whose videos I watch on youtube. She's a little militant but she's actually 100% vegan unlike most youtube 'vegans'. Anyway, she uploaded a video where the description included 'If you think me using the terms rape, murder and so on, it's most likely a sign you are a speciest.' So I hit 'stop' because I am not down with watching an argument for rape analogies if that's what's going on, and I left her a nice comment explaining, I don't like rape analogies because hearing the word 'rape' is like a punch in the face because of my past. And she replied thinking I was attacking her, and I replied back reiterating my point and even included a <3, which I thought made it pretty clear that I was, you know, being friendly. If I didn't like her I wouldn't even bother explaining my position, i'd just stop watching her videos.

Anyway, when I went to reply to her second comment, I see this from her husband:

From Wikipedia

"Rape is a form of sexual assault. Its original meaning is "to take by force.""

NOT in the means of sexual assault but people came to use it as slang for that. It originally came about as raping the land for example, which would relate to such acts as strip mining.

It is YOUR choice to solely allow the word to represent the slang term. I think that using rape as a term for sexual assault is ignorant and disrespectful to sexual assault victims.

-------------------------------------------------
O. RLY.

That is the most off-the-wall attempt at victim blaming I have ever seen. I don't know if he glossed over the part where I said "As a sexual assault survivor..." or if it just didn't matter, but WOW. WOW. I am never leaving the PPK again. It's been awhile since i've ran into an abolitionist and not been made crazy by a 'plant based' vegan. My head hurts. And yes, I responded and no, the comment will probably never get approved.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:02 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

well, that's patently wrong. it was used at least since the 14th century to mean just what it means today. i'm no latin scholar but the word it derives from is not to rape the land (more of a snatch up and carry away, if i recall correctly). retroactively victim blaming, it reminds me of the mormon attempts to retroactively baptize people. i think you go straight to circle of hell where Ayn Rand lives for that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:28 pm 

You're right, I was equally offended that someone tried to school me using Wikipedia as their source.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:47 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

torque wrote:
well, that's patently wrong. it was used at least since the 14th century to mean just what it means today. i'm no latin scholar but the word it derives from is not to rape the land (more of a snatch up and carry away, if i recall correctly). retroactively victim blaming, it reminds me of the mormon attempts to retroactively baptize people. i think you go straight to circle of hell where Ayn Rand lives for that.
You got it. Once upon a time it was used in the sense of to seize, rob, plunder, etc. (see "rapine: the violent seizure of someone's property"), but that sense is now archaic or figurative, as in "raping the land" as a reference to the word's now generally accepted sense of "raping" an unwilling sexual victim. Looks like you were tangling with some misinformed vegans, MBM!

(OED or it didn't happen.)

rape, n.3

1. The act of taking something by force; esp. the seizure of property by violent means; robbery, plundering. Also as a count noun: an instance of this, a robbery, a raid. Now rare (chiefly archaic and literary).
Esp. in later use probably freq. influenced by the use of sense 3, particularly its use in the titles of works of art or literature.

c1350 Ballad Sc. Wars 212 in A. Brandl & O. Zippel Mitteleng. Sprach- u. Literaturproben (1917) 139 Bot soffid sal be mani of stede, For res þat þai sal after ride; And seen sal leaute falsed lede In rapes sone after þat tyde.

2. a. Originally and chiefly: the act or crime, committed by a man, of forcing a woman to have sexual intercourse with him against her will, esp. by means of threats or violence. In later use more generally: the act of forced, non-consenting, or illegal sexual intercourse with another person; sexual violation or assault.

c1425 Treat. Ten Commandments in Stud. Philol. (1910) 6 30 (MED), Agaynes þis commandement [sc. the seventh] dooth he þat usuth any rauen..Rape is of nonnes or maydenes & wedues, etcetera.

b. As a count noun: an act or offence of rape.

c1529 S. Fish Supplication of Beggers in Supplication of Poore Commons (1546) 318 Where is youre swearde, power, croune, & dignity, become that should punish (by punishment of death euen as other men be punished) the Felonyes, rapes, murdres, and treasons committed by thys synful generacion?

3. The act of carrying off a person by force; esp. the abduction of a woman, usually for the purpose of sexual violation. Also fig. Now arch.

1436 Rolls of Parl. IV. 497/2 There the seid Besecher [he] felonousely and moste horribely ravysshed, and her naked, except hir Kirtyll and hir Smokke, ledde with him into the wylde and desolate places of Wales; of the which rape he..is endited.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:22 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Good thing there was a man around to explain to you how you should feel, MBM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331 ... 482  Next