| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334 ... 425  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:13 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Imogen wrote:
What is with BBC radio documentaries/podcasts and extended segments...

*It is called Woman's Hour but only actually gets a 45-minute slot, which is kind of weird.

The gender gap's not limited to wages.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:41 pm 
Saggy Butt

kilgore trout wrote:
I didn't take a picture because everyone would have known why I was doing it, but the preschool class where I work has a Thanksgiving bulletin board of turkey printouts decorated with all kinds of craft supplies to look less like turkeys and a gosh darned adorable poem that goes something like "I'm Tom Turkey/I'm afraid as can be!/Can you figure out/a disguise for me?" It made me really super sad.

When I was in second grade, we learned a song. I can still remember it. "Turkey trot, trot, trot / Across the lot, lot, lot / Feeling fine, fine, fine / Until Thanksgiving time" and then we sang "gobble gobble with a wobble" or something ridiculous. 15 years later, it still pops into my head.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:45 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Chicki - That raccoon story is horrible and I am sorry you work with such a crasshole! The part about the car tailpipe was so shocking to me, I can't imagine.

Lavawitch - How is it that SB with their custom made soy milk - obviously made especially for coffee drinks - has chunks in the soymilk as a matter of course?? That is crazy to me. You would think that SB would have the perfect soymilk for coffee! They are the biggest coffee chain out there after all! I would not drink a 6.00 latte with chunks in it and I don't blame you for complaining.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:00 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I have a hard time believing that animal control would actually tell people to put a raccoon in a bag and stick it up to a tailpipe! Not only is that awfully cruel (I have a cousin who used to be an AC officer and while it doesn't extend to being vegetarian or anything I can't imagine her advocating animal cruelty like that!), it's also STUPID. Raccoons can be vicious wild animals and could really scratch somebody up trying to get away! We grew up near forest preserves and I was definitely trained from an early age not to interfere with them.

If chunks in soymilk are a routine thing, it seems like pouring it through a cheapo strainer could fix that easily.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

I don't know if this is so much a vegan pet peeve as it is a "lactose intolerance upped by 50 since I haven't had milk in half a year". . . pet peeve. But I was Jonesing for a cinnamon dolce latte from Starbucks, so I splurged and bought one. To avoid having to emphasize "no whip" and "no sprinkles" over and over again, I ordered a soy latte with cinnamon dolce syrup. Sounds foolproof, right?

1) Suspicious element 1: The barista asked me if I wanted the cinnamon sprinkles. . . Even though I carefully worded that I wasn't doing the standard latte.
2) Suspicious element 2: The result was frothy. REALLY frothy. Not steamed soy milk froth, or even whole milk froth, but melting whipped cream froth.

I was running late to work and pretty confident in my wording, so I bit the bullet. Nope. Nope. NOPE. I've had the MOST painful gas all day, to the point where I thought an old bladder infection was ER-worthy. Then the condition. . . audibly introduced itself, and I understood. Wow. From gas. GAS!

HOW did I ever consume dairy pregan?!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:18 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

oddspongeout wrote:
kilgore trout wrote:
I didn't take a picture because everyone would have known why I was doing it, but the preschool class where I work has a Thanksgiving bulletin board of turkey printouts decorated with all kinds of craft supplies to look less like turkeys and a gosh darned adorable poem that goes something like "I'm Tom Turkey/I'm afraid as can be!/Can you figure out/a disguise for me?" It made me really super sad.

When I was in second grade, we learned a song. I can still remember it. "Turkey trot, trot, trot / Across the lot, lot, lot / Feeling fine, fine, fine / Until Thanksgiving time" and then we sang "gobble gobble with a wobble" or something ridiculous. 15 years later, it still pops into my head.

I learned so many thanksgiving songs in school that involved turkeys getting killed (or native american stereotypes). I remember one song about a "big fat turkey on Grampa's farm" that ended with "You should hear him gobble at the girls and boys/ He thinks he's singing when he makes that noise/ He'll sing his song another way/ Upon Thanksgiving Day." Ugh. On the other end, there was song about a turkey named Albuquerque who was safe on thanksgiving because the family ate egg foo young instead of turkey. Now that I'm thinking of it, it was really weird to sing that one along with all the songs that celebrated turkey dinners.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:20 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

A couple of my coworkers told me that the city or animal control in their city encouraged them to kill raccoons and possums.

That....does not sound legit. I think I was getting real life trolled at work.

fork people.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:31 pm 
Tofu Pup

my pet peeve is **THAT** conversation,you know the one.. "so, where do you get your protein from?" or "but we have cainines.."

urgh please...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:33 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

annak wrote:
I have a hard time believing that animal control would actually tell people to put a raccoon in a bag and stick it up to a tailpipe! Not only is that awfully cruel (I have a cousin who used to be an AC officer and while it doesn't extend to being vegetarian or anything I can't imagine her advocating animal cruelty like that!), it's also STUPID. Raccoons can be vicious wild animals and could really scratch somebody up trying to get away! We grew up near forest preserves and I was definitely trained from an early age not to interfere with them.

I was thinking the same thing! That coworker has gotta be full of shiitake.
I love raccoons, but yes, as cute as they are they can be quite vicious when threatened. I grew up in the boondocks and raccoons were frequent visitors to our house. One time a family of them moved in to my dad's toolshed; we found out because he walked in there to get something and came running out because one of them (maybe the momma) reared up and hissed at him. We called animal control and they came over decked out in safety gear and gloves, with this snare-lookin' thing on a long stick, and removed them from our property.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:48 pm 
Semen Strong

It sucks that a vegan blogger can't post a recipe for something including tofu without getting comments like "Soy is more sinister than hemlock."

And how are there so many MDs who are spreading crazy nutritional information and pretending it is science? Dr. Blaylock, I am looking at you.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:17 am 
Flounceiad 2011

UGH. This one combines a vegan pet peeve with FB awkwardness, in a boring and predictable oldie but baddie that just pushed my buttons this morning. A friend's BF (who is kind of a douche anyway) put this hugely masturbatory post on her FB wall about the banana, walnut, and - what else? - BACON pancakes he's making, to which she responded with a "wink" emoticon and the sort of coy, quasi-sexual rhetoric that typically accompanies this sort of thing. what the fizzle? Why do you need to share this with 500 people? Just go upstairs and have sex with your bacon, already. I get so tired of the wankfest surrounding bacon. I just feel like saying that it's not manna from heaven, dipshit - it's the greasy, nitrate-filled, artery-clogging smoked flesh of a tortured, dead animal that studies show is as smart as the dog you love so much. And the constant wittering about how much you lurrrrve it doesn't make you seem cool, edgy, or interesting; it just makes me deduct more IQ points and hit "hide" when I see your posts. But I resisted and brought it here, and to my vegan-safe FB page, instead; so thanks for providing a space to vent my Sunday morning bacon-induced rage, PPK!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:05 am 
Tofu Pup

Quote:
I get so tired of the wankfest surrounding bacon. I just feel like saying that it's not manna from heaven, dipshit - it's the greasy, nitrate-filled, artery-clogging smoked flesh of a tortured, dead animal that studies show is as smart as the dog you love so much. And the constant wittering about how much you lurrrrve it doesn't make you seem cool, edgy, or interesting; it just makes me deduct more IQ points and hit "hide" when I see your posts.

Yes, exactly! If these people had to see the pain and terror that results in the bacon they supposedly love so much, I wonder how they would feel then. I mean people couldn't just go on about loving bacon anymore, right? They must divorce themselves from the reality. I can't, and I don't want to.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:33 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Now, cat sushi, on the other hand...

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/05/08/w ... cat-sushi/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:42 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm starting to think non-ppk vegans are crazy. If I wanted to be vegan and ran into them first, I don't think I would've gone vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:55 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

linanil wrote:
I'm starting to think non-ppk vegans are crazy. If I wanted to be vegan and ran into them first, I don't think I would've gone vegan.

I think a more accurate statement is that a hella lot of people in general are crazy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:04 pm 
WRETCHED

Hazel wrote:
linanil wrote:

I think a more accurate statement is that a hella lot of people in general are crazy.

Maybe but between the "people who vaccinate are stupid", "legumes, gluten and soy will kill you", "cooked food will kill you", "any food in a package isn't vegan", etc, I'd rather side with omnivores.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:34 pm 
Grandfathered In

Just experienced one of the vegan pet peeve classics: the well-meaning omnivore who just can't imagine how vegans can survive. My Korean teacher—whom I like very much—said something about getting all of her students together some time in December. (She gives private, individual lessons to me and a bunch of other people.) "But you can't eat anything, so you'll have to bring your own food!" She said this smiling and laughing, as though saying, "You're some weird species that survives by mysterious means I can't comprehend." And then she said her husband had been wondering how vegans can possibly live like that, with no enjoyment of life. "With no cheese, no eggs!" I know I'm an ascetic freak, but... Are there actually people out there who think a life without, say, scrambled eggs isn't a life worth living? Am I Doc Savage, or are omnis a bunch of babies, in perpetual thrall to their every appetite?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:41 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

FootFace wrote:
And then she said her husband had been wondering how vegans can possibly live like that, with no enjoyment of life. "With no cheese, no eggs!" I know I'm an ascetic freak, but...
You should have told her that 24/7 misery, self-denial, and pleasure-hating masochism are key tenets of veganism; our hellish, egg-and-cheese-free parody of an existence includes sleeping on beds of nails and wearing (synthetic) hairshirts under our clothes.
FootFace wrote:
Are there actually people out there who think a life without, say, scrambled eggs isn't a life worth living?
Is this a serious question, or are you being arch?
FootFace wrote:
Am I Doc Savage, or are omnis a bunch of babies, in perpetual thrall to their every appetite?
These things are in no way mutually exclusive! 1. It is a truth continually manifested that an enormous percentage of omnivores are indeed "a bunch of babies, in perpetual thrall to their every appetite." 2. henceforth I will think of and picture you as Doc Savage.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:54 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Desdemona wrote:
UGH. This one combines a vegan pet peeve with FB awkwardness, in a boring and predictable oldie but baddie that just pushed my buttons this morning. A friend's BF (who is kind of a douche anyway) put this hugely masturbatory post on her FB wall about the banana, walnut, and - what else? - BACON pancakes he's making, to which she responded with a "wink" emoticon and the sort of coy, quasi-sexual rhetoric that typically accompanies this sort of thing. what the fizzle? Why do you need to share this with 500 people? Just go upstairs and have sex with your bacon, already. I get so tired of the wankfest surrounding bacon. I just feel like saying that it's not manna from heaven, dipshit - it's the greasy, nitrate-filled, artery-clogging smoked flesh of a tortured, dead animal that studies show is as smart as the dog you love so much. And the constant wittering about how much you lurrrrve it doesn't make you seem cool, edgy, or interesting; it just makes me deduct more IQ points and hit "hide" when I see your posts. But I resisted and brought it here, and to my vegan-safe FB page, instead; so thanks for providing a space to vent my Sunday morning bacon-induced rage, PPK!

For real, people need to shut up about bacon. I was all about bacon before I was a vegetarian--to the degree that my family made fun of me for it-- and even I didn't think it was that great. Come on.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:09 am 
Tofu Pup

when sainsburies put a V and mark someone vegan when it contains buttermilk :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:17 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

linanil wrote:
Hazel wrote:
linanil wrote:

Maybe but between the "people who vaccinate are stupid", "legumes, gluten and soy will kill you", "cooked food will kill you", "any food in a package isn't vegan", etc, I'd rather side with omnivores.

Vegan body building?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ndpittman wrote:
linanil wrote:
Hazel wrote:

Vegan body building?

Ha, that's the first thing I thought of too.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:59 am 
WRETCHED

lobsteriffic wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
linanil wrote:

Vegan body building?

Ha, that's the first thing I thought of too.

Yeah sadly, I don't think I can take that FB group anymore. And yesterday was "fat people just need to stop being lazy and stop eating fast food".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:34 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Snow wrote:
when sainsburies put a V and mark someone vegan when it contains buttermilk :(

What product is it? Can you post a photo? If they've marked something as vegan and it's not, then you should tell them so they can correct it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I can't deal with vegan body building and exercise enthusiasts. I mean, that's great that they are vegan and found hobbies that they like, but I don't see why they have to dominate all of our Austin online vegan groups with pictures of themselves flexing and talking about how pathetic people are that aren't gym rats.

I have other interests too that don't have shiitake to do with veganism and I don't bring them up constantly at all opotunities in groups for sharing vegan information (well except the ppk which is different) . I mean, I wouldn't post pictures of myself at a music fest #vegan #dancing #atxvegan because one has nothing to do with the other. Just cause I'm a vegan dancing doesn't mean it's vegan dancing!!!!! I wouldn't make a facebook post about having a baby, or building a rocket, or cutting the grass, or watching 10 hours of Star Trek with a hashtag vegan either because IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH VEGANISM.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 10622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334 ... 425  Next