| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336 ... 534  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:39 pm 
Nooch of Earl

When you search for vegan options on yelp and it turns up restaurants and then you actually read the review test and somebody said something like "everyone but vegans will find something to eat!" or "wish there were more vegan items on the menu!" I mean, they're helpful comments in their own way but I hate that they turn up in keyword searches for "vegan."

Also things that say "contains milk" but you read the label over 5 times and can't find anything that commonly contains milk, not even FLAVAH.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:46 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

pepperpot wrote:
My new pet peeve: cashiers commenting on my purchases. I bought some Tofurkey slices and other stuff at Trader Joe's today.

Cashier: So you'll eat fake meat, but not real meat?
Me: ....... (caught off-guard, just smile a little and hope he stops)
Cashier: *shakes head* You won't eat the real stuff, but you'll eat fake meat. I'll never understand that logic.
Me: *shrug* It tastes good, and nothing had to die for it.
Cashier: *rolls eyes* I guess. My girlfriend's the same way. I'm like, look at the ingredients! There's fifty things in there!
Me: Well, it's just plants. It's all plant.....

That was the end, as he'd given me my change and just walked away from the register since there was nobody behind me.

Ugh. I was so caught off guard by this and it sent my anxiety through the roof. I wish I could have thought of something intelligent or witty to say. And now I'll be scared to go to Trader Joe's and constantly checking to make sure I don't wind up in this douche's line again. I did not ask for your opinion!!!!

My cousin just had a weird cashier experience at Trader Joes with fake chicken! It was basically the same "you'll eat fake stuff?!" line but then turned to her roommate (she was with her boyfriend and roommate) and the cashier was like "and what do you think of that?" And the roommate didn't say anything so the cashier goes "ain't got anything to say?" To which her boyfriend responded "oh no he's just trying to step away from the huge hole you're digging"

It was funny, though because she didn't care but her boyfriend was highly offended!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:49 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

"You would think in this economy that cashiers would be more concerned about their own job security than their customers' food choices" would be where I would have gone....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:19 pm 
Semen Strong

Ha! We are so used to having great experiences at TJs that it threw me off when we had one less than stellar cashier. Mostly everyone at our TJ's is amazing - and they adore L and even give us special vegan snacks because we can't have the meaty ones.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:36 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

FootFace wrote:
Exactly. You want to see privilege? How about "Tofu? I'm not eating that!" or "But there's no cheese on it. Pass!"
But omnivores have to hunt their cheese in the wild and honor its spirit before putting it on EVERY. forking. THING.

My pet peeve is relatively minor and wholly my fault, but low blood pressure doesn't want to hear any excuses. So I ran myself short on time this morning and didn't bring anything for lunch, but I figured it would be no big deal because I'd just come straight home after teaching. Unfortunately, today was one of those unusually hungry days, so by the time I headed to my car for my hour long commute I really wanted a snack. A glance at the parking garage vending machine showed candy, cheese-flavored chips, and some veggie Wheat Thins. Since I buy regular Wheat Thins pretty often, I stupidly assumed these would be vegan and pumped $1.40 into the machine. Et voila! A glance at the ingredients tells me they contain "milk ingredients." I was super annoyed - not least because I was hungry and out of change - so I just left them on a counter next to the machine and drove home. On the one hand, I realize this was my fault for not planning better, but on the other...why can't there be one thing - ONE - in a ridiculously overpriced vending machine that doesn't have milk in it? GAAAAH.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:52 pm 
WELFARIST!

I would definitely talk to a manager about that cashier- they had no right to say those things to you and he was totally out of line. Fortunately, regarding my food, I've only had really good responses to what I was buying (except for kombucha but that's another story) and they usually seem genuinely interested in the product and ask about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Desdemona wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Exactly. You want to see privilege? How about "Tofu? I'm not eating that!" or "But there's no cheese on it. Pass!"
But omnivores have to hunt their cheese in the wild and honor its spirit before putting it on EVERY. forking. THING.

My pet peeve is relatively minor and wholly my fault, but low blood pressure doesn't want to hear any excuses. So I ran myself short on time this morning and didn't bring anything for lunch, but I figured it would be no big deal because I'd just come straight home after teaching. Unfortunately, today was one of those unusually hungry days, so by the time I headed to my car for my hour long commute I really wanted a snack. A glance at the parking garage vending machine showed candy, cheese-flavored chips, and some veggie Wheat Thins. Since I buy regular Wheat Thins pretty often, I stupidly assumed these would be vegan and pumped $1.40 into the machine. Et voila! A glance at the ingredients tells me they contain "milk ingredients." I was super annoyed - not least because I was hungry and out of change - so I just left them on a counter next to the machine and drove home. On the one hand, I realize this was my fault for not planning better, but on the other...why can't there be one thing - ONE - in a ridiculously overpriced vending machine that doesn't have milk in it? GAAAAH.

I had exactly the same experience with those wheat thins while waiting at a car dealership this summer for hours longer than expected with a cranky toddler. We ate them so as not to kill each other. Remember non frosted pop tarts? They were vegan, what happened to those?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:01 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

my boyfriend told me tonight his manager brought doughnuts for the team today and gf cookies for the gf dude (who didn't even eat/want them)....but nothing vegan for him. :/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:46 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Desdemona wrote:
FootFace wrote:

This seems to happen a lot at the vending machines at my school! They used to have at least a few things (Oreos, plain chips, trail mix) but some of them literally do not have a single vegan thing, and they're the only option on some parts of the campus. Boo!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:56 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

watched restaurant impossible last night. there was a women who had to cut out making pancakes because she forgot the eggs. yet she had bananas and other binders...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:27 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I once bought a pack of dunking sticks out of a vending machine after thoroughly Googling to find the ingredients, and seeing that they were vegan according to the ingredients list on a grocery store website. Flipped the package over and they contained lard.

Yuck.

I wasn't sure what to do with them since this was a hotel, nowhere particularly near the machines to just leave it, so I took it to the front desk and told the clerk I was going to leave it on the breakfast counter and if someone wanted it they could have it because I couldn't eat it. The conversation that followed was, um, interesting, I guess...mostly the usual "Oh, that's interesting that you are vegan, but I could never do it."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:29 pm 
Semen Strong

missmuffcake wrote:
watched restaurant impossible last night. there was a women who had to cut out making pancakes because she forgot the eggs. yet she had bananas and other binders...

Binders full of women.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:33 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so tired of getting the "why don't you help starving children?" whenever you talk about why animal rescue or charity is important.

And now George Takei is getting flack for asking people to donate to fight discrimination in Russia, mostly from people saying that he should be raising funds for the Philippines. He already sent out an appeal for that.

I wonder who these people are, who think you can only care about one cause at a time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

annak wrote:
When you search for vegan options on yelp and it turns up restaurants and then you actually read the review test and somebody said something like "everyone but vegans will find something to eat!" or "wish there were more vegan items on the menu!" I mean, they're helpful comments in their own way but I hate that they turn up in keyword searches for "vegan."

A milliion times yes to this. Its so exciting to see all the results pop up - its dare I say, hope giving - and then you end up with all these steak devouring, "screw you vegans!" reviews.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:59 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The kitties want to go out in the garden, but I don't want to let them because even though it's more than a week since Bonfire Night, people are still letting off fireworks in their back gardens! Why do people feel the need to have their own private fireworks show on a Wednesday?!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:09 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

emmalv wrote:
annak wrote:
A milliion times yes to this. Its so exciting to see all the results pop up - its dare I say, hope giving - and then you end up with all these steak devouring, "screw you vegans!" reviews.
And then there are douchey "positive" reviews of vegan restaurants, like this one for our local Loving Hut:
insecuremeatchomingdouchebro wrote:
Not a vegan, I like my food source to have parents and hopefully a nickname given it by a young farmhand just before it went to the special barn.

But this place could almost change my mind-- I absolutely loved all of the food and didn't feel like dying after I left. I thought my menu options would be limited since I eat food that requires teeth but that was not the case-- there was so much here I didn't know where to start!

Five stars baby!
Wow. It's absolutely fascinating that you like eating dead animals! That alone would make you interesting and unusual, but the particular pleasure you take in constructing a backstory for them (including a family, emotional attachments, and a final betrayal by someone they'd come to trust) makes you really special. So thanks for your glowing review of a business committed to not eating or exploiting animals, and for your gleeful disrespect for the ethics of the people who run it. That's just great.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tofulish wrote:

I wonder who these people are, who think you can only care about one cause at a time.

People who don't care about any cause.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ariann wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

I had exactly the same experience with those wheat thins while waiting at a car dealership this summer for hours longer than expected with a cranky toddler. We ate them so as not to kill each other. Remember non frosted pop tarts? They were vegan, what happened to those?

Since when are nonf-frosted pop tarts not vegan?iand what makes them not vegan because looking at the ingredientsb online I don't see anything.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:55 am 
WRETCHED

Someone who isn't a ppker but friends of a couple ppkers on FB (and beyond) posted a picture of a turkey chick? I believe and... people commented things like "appetizer" ... uhh... what?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:17 am 
Nooch of Earl

Tofulish wrote:
I am so tired of getting the "why don't you help starving children?" whenever you talk about why animal rescue or charity is important.

And now George Takei is getting flack for asking people to donate to fight discrimination in Russia, mostly from people saying that he should be raising funds for the Philippines. He already sent out an appeal for that.

What group does he think is doing useful work on this front in Russia? I used to give to Amnesty Int'l but stopped because whenever I did they spent the money sending out mailers asking me for more money than I was able to give them. I know that national organizations pick their asking strategies carefully for maximum funds, but based on that and other experiences I prefer to give to places without a constant stream of glossy mailings. But I would be interested in helping..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:28 am 
WELFARIST!

blondiefk wrote:
Ariann wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

Since when are nonf-frosted pop tarts not vegan?iand what makes them not vegan because looking at the ingredientsb online I don't see anything.

I took 'what happened to those?' to mean 'why aren't they in vending machines anymore?' Although, admittedly, I'm not sure I've ever seen any sort of poptarts in a vending machine...

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:54 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

allularpunk wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

I took 'what happened to those?' to mean 'why aren't they in vending machines anymore?' Although, admittedly, I'm not sure I've ever seen any sort of poptarts in a vending machine...

Oh, that makes sense. Yeah, I've never seen them in a machine either. Or in single serving packs at gas stations/convenience stores.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:40 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Today's peeve: stealth dairy

I went to visit my husband at work then we went and grabbed lunch at a pizza place that also has burritos. I got their veg burrito and asked for it without the cheese or sour cream which they very nicely did for me no problem.
Then I'm eating it and there is something in the back of my mind that us ringing a bell while I eat it. I looked at it and there was nothing but beans rice guac and salsa so I kept eating it.
Something f was too tangy though.
I had eaten almost the entire thing when it dawned on me they must mix sour cream into their guac.
This is not something I ever thought was a good idea even when I ate dairy.

So now I'm sitting around waiting for my stomach to explode

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

annak wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

What group does he think is doing useful work on this front in Russia? I used to give to Amnesty Int'l but stopped because whenever I did they spent the money sending out mailers asking me for more money than I was able to give them. I know that national organizations pick their asking strategies carefully for maximum funds, but based on that and other experiences I prefer to give to places without a constant stream of glossy mailings. But I would be interested in helping..

I despise how much junk mail I get from charities. I swear you give $ to one cause and all of a sudden your mailbox is full.
I've never gotten something in the mail that made me think "gee I should send these people money" but then again I already have my chosen pet charities I give to on a regular. Basis.
I don't even like getting updates from places I do give money too. Just take my money and do good with it. If I want to be updated I'll look online or send me an email. Don't use my $ to send me crisp in the mail.
We give a monthly donation to a branch if the MSPCA that is also like a farm rescue and the place I got two of my guinea pigs and I got this super thick year end review brochure a while ago. Ahhhhh!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:53 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The reason charities send stuff in the mail is that it works as a method to raise funds. You may not like it personally but they are acting in the charity's best financial interest. If a specific group is sending you stuff in the post you can always write to them and ask them to stop.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336 ... 534  Next