| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338 ... 546  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:28 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
Vegan pet peeve: why don't more bagel places have vegan cream cheese? Seriously, I want convenience and I am willing to pay for it - so get me vegan take out options, pizza, and bagels with tofu kthxbai!

SERIOUSLY. It will sell, people, just forking stock it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:53 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

So if I post
Quote:
You know you are vegan when you are out to dinner and somebody orders an egg dish and you comment "looks like a tofu scramble." Lol

as my FB status and somebody I really have no care for comments with

Quote:
Ok so apparently in the last two years you became a vegan huh lol ok cool at least you like veggies I couldn't never do that I love bacon, steak, and eggs way to much

Would it be the worst thing in the world to post a link to Meet Your Meat on youtube on her page?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:09 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I wouldn't do it. Unfriend the person if you don't like them but I don't think a passive aggressive post would be very productive.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:17 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

pandacookie wrote:
I wouldn't do it. Unfriend the person if you don't like them but I don't think a passive aggressive post would be very productive.

I wouldn't post a video, either. That doesn't sound like a bad comment, more a "you have more willpower than me" kind of sentiment from them. I'd probably reply to their comment on your page, rather than going onto theirs, if you do want to reply. (My reply to that kind of comment is something along the lines of "yeah, I wasn't sure i could go vegan either to begin with, I gave it a month's trial and I'm still vegan 16 years on! ")

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:15 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

So wait some of you sub corn syrup for agave or maple syrup in some recipes and it tastes fine??

I bought corn syrup for some baking recipe once and after making that it's been sitting in my cabinet untouched. It never occurred to me I could use it in savory dishes.
Do you sub 1:1?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:31 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Posting here because it seems the most appropriate place, but "peeve" is kind of trivializing for what's troubling me. This is something that comes up fairly often, and that I can only talk about with other vegans because...well, I think we've probably all been in situations where we see cognitive dissonance but are leery of pointing it out for various reasons.

ANYWAY, a friend of mine posted a series of wonderful photos from a weekend retreat organized by her sister and her partner to celebrate their wedding. They chipped in with a few members of their chosen (and mostly queer) family to rent a lodge in rural Montana, complete with sleeping cabins, hiking trails, a communal kitchen...it looked gorgeous, and like an incredible amount of fun. These are cool, amazing people: educated, interesting, creative, socially conscious, politically active, and involved in their communities. And yet - I bet you've guessed where this is going - every picture of people cooking food or eating a meal features meat, with the exception of one showing a variety of homemade salsas. Otherwise it was all sausages and BBQ chicken and huevos rancheros and the ubiquitous bacon that I wish would vanish from the earth, etc., and it's just...why can't people who care so deeply about injustice, inequality, exploitation, and inclusiveness take the next logical step and extend that care to non-humans? How can people who are otherwise nuanced, critical thinkers appear so oblivious (or impervious?) to the incongruity between almost everything they do, think, say, and support, and what's on their plates? It makes me sad, and sort of tired. Anyway, most of the photos were stunning (besides the meat pics), so I simply "liked" the photo album and moved on. But it left - you should excuse the expression - a bad taste in my mouth, so thanks again, PPK, for being a place I can bring this sort of discomfort and be understood.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:45 am 
And you never will.

Tofulish wrote:
Vegan pet peeve: why don't more bagel places have vegan cream cheese? Seriously, I want convenience and I am willing to pay for it - so get me vegan take out options, pizza, and bagels with tofu kthxbai!

Well, now my pet peeve is that I live in a city with no bagel places!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:55 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

This is wrong on so many levels. I went for lunch with some people from work who all eat meat. We were talking about Christmas plans and I said that I'd be in Cambodia. One of them said that I'd be eating dog for Christmas dinner and they all laughed. I am not normally gobsmacked but this stopped me in my tracks. We were in a Chinese restaurant (irrelevant), they were ALL eating meat, and yet because I'll be in Asia I'll be eating dog for Christmas? I stayed calm and said that of course I wouldn't be eating dog as I don't eat meat, but that if I did eat meat it'd be fine because eating dog isn't any different to eating cow or pig. I had the obligatory 'Oooh I could never eat dog' from most of them, but one of them did actually put her forkful of beef down to give it some thought.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:35 am 
Nooch of Earl

My bagel-related peeve is that it took me three years of living here, then moving a way and coming back and then ANOTHER year to discover the bagel place in town that has bagels and - youse guys - delicious house-made sun dried tomato tofutti. AND they have delicious Mexican mochas.

And it's been sitting downstairs from my hair salon this entire time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:46 am 
Level 7 Vegan

My bagel peeve is that you keep rubbing my bagel shop-free nose in your cornucopia of bagel shop options. And flaunting your availability of tofu cream cheese options. Damn you, Yankees!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:59 am 
And you never will.

Ruby Rose wrote:
My bagel peeve is that you keep rubbing my bagel shop-free nose in your cornucopia of bagel shop options. And flaunting your availability of tofu cream cheese options. Damn you, Yankees!

We don't all have bagel shops! I stand in bagel-less solidarity with you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:21 pm 
Nooch of Earl

The latest news has me potentially moving to a city with no bagel places as early as February, if that makes anyone feel better. I have to gorge myself now!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:03 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Perhaps the most petty of pet peeves: I work in a tiny office and have a super nice boss who buys a half-sheet cake for our (SEVEN PERSON) office every time someone has a birthday. Yay! I don't get upset about not eating other people's cake, because. . . come on, that'd be just a bit too demanding.

However, my birthday's in three weeks, and I don't know how I feel about a dairy and egg cake being purchased in my honor. Not only that. . . a cake addressed to me that I can't eat. . . would be depressing. I've told my boss that I'm vegan before, but not a lot of people know what that entails. I'm just not sure if I should say anything, or grin and bare it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:09 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Yeah I think it would be depressing to have a non-vegan cake bought for you on your b-day. Is there a vegan cake that you can buy somewhere? Or would you like to make one? I might say something like "Hey, my birthday's coming up, and since I'm vegan I figured I'd pick up the cake this time!", all cheery and I'm-happy-to-do-it style. Then maybe your boss will be nice and insist on doing it for you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

annak wrote:
The latest news has me potentially moving to a city with no bagel places as early as February, if that makes anyone feel better. I have to gorge myself now!!

I think you must be mistaken. There are no bagels in San Diego. :p
No, actually, my mother has been talking about some acceptable bakery she discovered out there, where apparently they even know the term "hard roll."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

oddspongeout wrote:
Perhaps the most petty of pet peeves: I work in a tiny office and have a super nice boss who buys a half-sheet cake for our (SEVEN PERSON) office every time someone has a birthday. Yay! I don't get upset about not eating other people's cake, because. . . come on, that'd be just a bit too demanding.

However, my birthday's in three weeks, and I don't know how I feel about a dairy and egg cake being purchased in my honor. Not only that. . . a cake addressed to me that I can't eat. . . would be depressing. I've told my boss that I'm vegan before, but not a lot of people know what that entails. I'm just not sure if I should say anything, or grin and bare it.

I would definitely bring it up and I would offer to bring the cake if they can't find an acceptable alternative. It is no fair not to be able to eat your own birthday cake.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:20 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

poopiebitch wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Well, now my pet peeve is that I live in a city with no bagel places!

The closest thing to a bagel place we have is Dunkin Donuts. At least they have peanut butter.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:57 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Not eating your own birthday cake is both depressing and totally awkward for everyone involved. I'd definitely bring it up.

My co-workers have always been great about getting me a vegan cake at WF, but if that's not an option, bringing your own cake might be the best solution.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:13 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

It is very sweet of your boss to buy the cake for everyone's birthday, but you should definitely bring it up.

I am pretty quite about lunches and stuff that is provided at the office, and just bring my own or don't eat it, but IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!

I bet if you offer to bring it, he will ask you where HE can get one for you too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:14 pm 

Thanks, everyone! I shot him an email. (:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:34 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Why, if you know the people you offered to cook for, demanded to cook for, are vegan, why cook things they can't eat? If you wanted to show off so badly, do it in a way everyone can enjoy.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:10 pm 

Update!

Quote:
Yes. Remind me about this when you bring in your cake for a special treat I will have for you then.

Works for me! I get to bake AND I get something else. Woot woot. I think I'll bring a Boston Cream Pie. I haven't had "yellow" cake since my pregan days.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:28 pm 
Dead by dawn

Picky omnis who can't go a single meal without meat. And ranch dressing. That's the short, non-bitchy version of why I am irritated with my traveling companion.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:24 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

kfad wrote:
Why, if you know the people you offered to cook for, demanded to cook for, are vegan, why cook things they can't eat? If you wanted to show off so badly, do it in a way everyone can enjoy.

Ugh, YES, WHY is this a difficult concept to some people?!

Reminds me of when I was on the receiving end of 'hospitality' that entailed: horrified gasps and scrunched up faces at the mention of me being vegan, being told "well you'll have to UN-vegan while you're staying with us", then being completely shot down when I offered to cook for myself because "our family likes to look after our guests, we're going to insist on doing everything but wipe your asparagus". I quickly found an excuse to avoid staying with them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:44 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

It was once part of my job to read VegNews FB comments. I am so happy I had you guys first, because ho-ly, I would have denounced all vegans forever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338 ... 546  Next