| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342 ... 493  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:35 pm 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7373
Location: Portland
allularpunk wrote:
I told my guy last night that I decided what I was bringing to his Thanksgiving Leftovers party - the Thanksgiving burgers from the blog, but made into meatball size so they were more like finger foods. He just asked why. When I was like, '...Why what?' He said, 'Why are you trying to make meat?' It's annoying to me that omnis get so hung up on terminology. Those burgers don't have anything 'fake' in them, they're just grains and breadcrumbs and nuts and whatnot. We say 'burger' to basically mean 'patty' and 'meatball' to mean 'ball' because those are familiar terms, not necessarily because we're trying to recreate meat! Sheesh! I feel like if I had just said 'stuffing balls' he would have said it sounds awesome and probably tried one out, but now that he has it in his head that I'm trying to recreate meat (impossible, by the way!) he will have weird expectations and either not like them or not try them.

Stubborn, picky omnis!


D is very, very open minded and unpicky about food, and ate lots of vegan stuff on his own before meeting me because it's cheap. BUT we had a totally weird interaction last night, where he said something to the effect of his having sacrificed some of his "food identity" by eating vegan 98% of the time at home. I was completely thrown for a loop and couldn't bite my tongue hard enough to stop "and what does THAT mean?" from escaping from my mouth. He mumbled something about "you are what you eat," and I just kind of left it at that. I know he attaches some significance to eating salmon because of his Native American origin, but I was just kind of shocked to hear such typical omni BS come out of his mouth, when he's normally super cool about it all. That said, I'm pretty sure that was mostly just a product of him being in a super grumpy mood, not something he actually really believes (I HOPE!).

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:52 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4871
Location: WV
jordanpattern wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
I told my guy last night that I decided what I was bringing to his Thanksgiving Leftovers party - the Thanksgiving burgers from the blog, but made into meatball size so they were more like finger foods. He just asked why. When I was like, '...Why what?' He said, 'Why are you trying to make meat?' It's annoying to me that omnis get so hung up on terminology. Those burgers don't have anything 'fake' in them, they're just grains and breadcrumbs and nuts and whatnot. We say 'burger' to basically mean 'patty' and 'meatball' to mean 'ball' because those are familiar terms, not necessarily because we're trying to recreate meat! Sheesh! I feel like if I had just said 'stuffing balls' he would have said it sounds awesome and probably tried one out, but now that he has it in his head that I'm trying to recreate meat (impossible, by the way!) he will have weird expectations and either not like them or not try them.

Stubborn, picky omnis!


D is very, very open minded and unpicky about food, and ate lots of vegan stuff on his own before meeting me because it's cheap. BUT we had a totally weird interaction last night, where he said something to the effect of his having sacrificed some of his "food identity" by eating vegan 98% of the time at home. I was completely thrown for a loop and couldn't bite my tongue hard enough to stop "and what does THAT mean?" from escaping from my mouth. He mumbled something about "you are what you eat," and I just kind of left it at that. I know he attaches some significance to eating salmon because of his Native American origin, but I was just kind of shocked to hear such typical omni BS come out of his mouth, when he's normally super cool about it all. That said, I'm pretty sure that was mostly just a product of him being in a super grumpy mood, not something he actually really believes (I HOPE!).


It is frustrating to hear that stuff from someone you love. T never says anything to me about what I eat, as long as I'm not trying to make him eat it. Especially since we don't live together, it's no big deal - we just make/order our own food. His food habits are very much tied in with his identity as this macho dude, which is silly and almost endearing most of the time (and most of it is in jest). But for some reason when it comes to me serving food to other people he gets all weird about it. It's this big deal that a bunch of his friends like to cook and are foodies, so my food has to try extra hard to compete with their meat and cheese. I hate feeling like I have to prove that vegan food is awesome. They all love my baked goods, but they act so surprised when they like something savory, and it feels like it's always been judged extra hard since it doesn't have the usual foodie fallbacks. That's also why I've vowed not to try to serve them anything especially 'vegan' like tofu, tempeh, seitan, fake cheese, etc, but I like to cook with those things so figuring out what to feed them can be difficult. And I feel like half the time, they don't even try my stuff, or they take a bite and just eat more of everything else. It's a little more stressful than I'd like it to be.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:40 pm 
Offline
Angrily Posting on Facebook
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 3137
Location: The Bene
Allularpunk, you should let T. read this blog on Cadry's Kitchen: My Take on Fake: Patties, Sausages and other Shapes.

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:50 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4871
Location: WV
I like that post and did explain to him that all those words were just shapes. I think he was in a mood last night.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:14 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5388
Location: A New England
torque wrote:
39. vegans kill their babies by making them drink cod liver oil
And then refuse to cook and eat them, even though they A. claim to be environmentalists, and B. could really use the protein.

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:05 pm 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am
Posts: 1308
Location: Nova Scotia
emmalv wrote:
12. Full dissertations on "tofu is gross. And scary." ( Said dissertations are entirely anecdotal, as no normal people have actually eaten tofu and everyone knows that.)


I fell pretty lucky that most people I know and work with are pretty open-minded about food but this is one I hear a lot. "Tofu is gross, though I have not eaten it"

Shamini wrote:
35) Vegan privilege

35(a) How expensive a vegan diet is


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:35 pm 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5378
Location: BRLA
lepelaar wrote:
Allularpunk, you should let T. read this blog on Cadry's Kitchen: My Take on Fake: Patties, Sausages and other Shapes.


Best quote.

Quote:
In my mind I think of these same naysayers going to Disneyland and seeing kids riding on Autopia. I can imagine them standing out front getting angry at the parents…“Hey, you SAY that you don’t want 4-year-olds to drive, and then you take them here and put them behind the wheel! Which is it? Should toddlers drive or shouldn’t they?”

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:36 pm 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 1711
Location: MA
My s-i-l is bringing an apple pie with a cheddar crust to Thanksgiving dinner. So now I can't bring an apple pie because that would be redundant. So I get no apple pie (it's my favorite).

I don't really want to make one for no reason and eat it all myself, but that seems to be the only solution here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:40 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 3906
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
Amy wrote:
My s-i-l is bringing an apple pie with a cheddar crust to Thanksgiving dinner. So now I can't bring an apple pie because that would be redundant. So I get no apple pie (it's my favorite).

I don't really want to make one for no reason and eat it all myself, but that seems to be the only solution here.


Make apple tarts or mini pocket pie things and eat them all week :)

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:43 pm 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7373
Location: Portland
allularpunk wrote:

But for some reason when it comes to me serving food to other people he gets all weird about it. It's this big deal that a bunch of his friends like to cook and are foodies, so my food has to try extra hard to compete with their meat and cheese. I hate feeling like I have to prove that vegan food is awesome. They all love my baked goods, but they act so surprised when they like something savory, and it feels like it's always been judged extra hard since it doesn't have the usual foodie fallbacks. That's also why I've vowed not to try to serve them anything especially 'vegan' like tofu, tempeh, seitan, fake cheese, etc, but I like to cook with those things so figuring out what to feed them can be difficult. And I feel like half the time, they don't even try my stuff, or they take a bite and just eat more of everything else. It's a little more stressful than I'd like it to be.


I know it's not always that simple, but man, in your place, I'd cook whatever the damn hell I wanted, and if the foodies didn't like it, well, more leftovers for me. I'd also serve it while wearing this pin from Food Fight:

Image

After 10 years of veganism, I'm pretty good at being "the cool vegan" who's not super uptight or aggro about stuff, but at the same time, I'm not taking any shiitake from foodies or anyone else. Neither of us has anything to prove on behalf of veganism or vegan food. Let them eat tofu, say I.

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:45 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7774
Location: Seattle
Moon wrote:
Amy wrote:
My s-i-l is bringing an apple pie with a cheddar crust to Thanksgiving dinner. So now I can't bring an apple pie because that would be redundant. So I get no apple pie (it's my favorite).

I don't really want to make one for no reason and eat it all myself, but that seems to be the only solution here.


Make apple tarts or mini pocket pie things and eat them all week :)

Or make apple tarts/mini pies and keep a couple out to eat, freezing the rest as insurance against future apple pie emergencies.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:49 pm 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 1711
Location: MA
Ha, apple pie emergencies are the worst kind!

That is probably the best idea. Mini pies or tarts or something. And they will be adorable and everyone will be jealous. I just get cranky because it's been 8 years and they still don't even try to ever make food I can eat. Like they always opt for the much less common non-vegan version of things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:51 pm 
Offline
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm
Posts: 3191
Location: Ireland
Today: "oh I was a vegetarian but then I ended up with anaemia so I had to start eating meat and having a high protein diet. I just need as much protein as possible."

Also..... catered lunch at course. One option.... bacon. Also, it was in the middle of nowhere but thankfully I knew what was ahead of me the last two days and had brought a lunch and snacks for me.

_________________
Meowchickameow meow! - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:52 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 3906
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
jordanpattern wrote:

Image



HA!

I've never had an apple pie emergency, but I have had cherry pie emergencies.

Wait. Hmmm. That could be taken a few different ways.

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:31 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4871
Location: WV
jordanpattern wrote:

I know it's not always that simple, but man, in your place, I'd cook whatever the damn hell I wanted, and if the foodies didn't like it, well, more leftovers for me. I'd also serve it while wearing this pin from Food Fight:

Image

After 10 years of veganism, I'm pretty good at being "the cool vegan" who's not super uptight or aggro about stuff, but at the same time, I'm not taking any shiitake from foodies or anyone else. Neither of us has anything to prove on behalf of veganism or vegan food. Let them eat tofu, say I.


I'm just such a people pleaser...I love cooking for people and want them to like what I make! But that isn't always up to me, I know. It's just so off-base for me because my old group of friends (most of them moved away, some of them turned out to be crassholes, so we don't all hang out anymore) was super open to vegan food and would eat anything I made, regardless of the ingredients. That, to me, is a real foodie! Someone open-minded enough to eat anything and see how awesome it can be with or without the usual suspects. Anyway, yeah. I'm gonna make stuffing balls, and call them stuffing balls, and maybe a pumpkin-y dessert. Luckily, I love leftovers.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:35 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5388
Location: A New England
jordanpattern wrote:
I know it's not always that simple, but man, in your place, I'd cook whatever the damn hell I wanted, and if the foodies didn't like it, well, more leftovers for me. I'd also serve it while wearing this pin from Food Fight:

Image

After 10 years of veganism, I'm pretty good at being "the cool vegan" who's not super uptight or aggro about stuff, but at the same time, I'm not taking any shiitake from foodies or anyone else. Neither of us has anything to prove on behalf of veganism or vegan food. Let them eat tofu, say I.
All of this, with the additional note that I'll be damned if I'll cook things I don't believe in eating and/or go hungry in order to keep other people in their comfort zones. You don't like/want/consent to try what I cooked? Well, there's the door that leads to a whole wide world of whatever the hell you want, binky-boo!

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:31 pm 
Offline
Calls "cavemen" on that
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:53 pm
Posts: 2346
My omni partner argues with me (not mean argue, just discussions) about 'burgers' a lot. And how fake meat is stupid.

Um, ok, I just want something burger shaped to fit in the buns they sell at the store. Patties. balls, WHATEVS.

Not even five minutes later we were discussing a thanksgiving menu for this year "Make Tofurkey! We haven't had that all year. Me likely"

I couldn't help but laugh. In his face. In a very preachy, self entitled vegan way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:59 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9509
Location: Seattle
The willful ignorance about fake meat is the absolute worst (except for all the other things that are also the absolute worst). Do people actually not get it? Are they just trolling? Because it makes no sense.

Them: I thought you didn't like hamburger meat, but now you're eating something that is shaped like—and kind of tastes like—a hamburger? Explain that one, Einstein.

Me: Well, it's not hamburger meat. It's made of plants.

Them: I know, but isn't vegetarianism or veganism motivated by not liking the way meat tastes?

Me: What? No. Who thinks that?

Them: Hypocrite!

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:13 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 3906
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
I didn't give up eating salami because I hated salami! If I could get a good vegan salami it would be HOT SALAMI SAMMICHES EVERY DAY AT LUNCH.

But all vegans are against the taste of meat, so I must be.... Something else?

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:20 pm 
Offline
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 3119
Location: BKLN
i've noticed that my non-vegan friends seem to go way out of their way to avoid meat analogues when they're making vegan food for me, but i think it's part of the vegan = superhealth misconception. i love vegetables, but i'll be so o.k. with it if you just hand me a plate of chikn nuggets and ketchup.

_________________
"rise from the ashes of douchebaggery like a fancy vegan phoenix" - amandabear
"I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is: fork pants." - cq


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:26 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 3906
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
acr wrote:
chikn nuggets and ketchup.


I think you meant mustard. It's ok, I forgive you.

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:28 pm 
Offline
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 3119
Location: BKLN
i don't even understand what you just said.

_________________
"rise from the ashes of douchebaggery like a fancy vegan phoenix" - amandabear
"I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is: fork pants." - cq


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:30 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10554
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
Maybe you both meant vegenaise mixed with frank's red hot?

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:34 pm 
Offline
And you never will.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 4285
Location: Memphis
ijustdiedinside wrote:
Maybe you both meant vegenaise mixed with frank's red hot?


_________________
I'm in a pure mood with poopietits now. Damn her jugs! - interrobang?!
give my you inquiries! and give poopie you burritos. - acr
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:41 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 3906
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
ijustdiedinside wrote:
Maybe you both meant vegenaise mixed with frank's red hot?


Image

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342 ... 493  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HappyBean and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer