| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342 ... 493  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:35 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

allularpunk wrote:
I told my guy last night that I decided what I was bringing to his Thanksgiving Leftovers party - the Thanksgiving burgers from the blog, but made into meatball size so they were more like finger foods. He just asked why. When I was like, '...Why what?' He said, 'Why are you trying to make meat?' It's annoying to me that omnis get so hung up on terminology. Those burgers don't have anything 'fake' in them, they're just grains and breadcrumbs and nuts and whatnot. We say 'burger' to basically mean 'patty' and 'meatball' to mean 'ball' because those are familiar terms, not necessarily because we're trying to recreate meat! Sheesh! I feel like if I had just said 'stuffing balls' he would have said it sounds awesome and probably tried one out, but now that he has it in his head that I'm trying to recreate meat (impossible, by the way!) he will have weird expectations and either not like them or not try them.

Stubborn, picky omnis!

D is very, very open minded and unpicky about food, and ate lots of vegan stuff on his own before meeting me because it's cheap. BUT we had a totally weird interaction last night, where he said something to the effect of his having sacrificed some of his "food identity" by eating vegan 98% of the time at home. I was completely thrown for a loop and couldn't bite my tongue hard enough to stop "and what does THAT mean?" from escaping from my mouth. He mumbled something about "you are what you eat," and I just kind of left it at that. I know he attaches some significance to eating salmon because of his Native American origin, but I was just kind of shocked to hear such typical omni BS come out of his mouth, when he's normally super cool about it all. That said, I'm pretty sure that was mostly just a product of him being in a super grumpy mood, not something he actually really believes (I HOPE!).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:52 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

jordanpattern wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
I told my guy last night that I decided what I was bringing to his Thanksgiving Leftovers party - the Thanksgiving burgers from the blog, but made into meatball size so they were more like finger foods. He just asked why. When I was like, '...Why what?' He said, 'Why are you trying to make meat?' It's annoying to me that omnis get so hung up on terminology. Those burgers don't have anything 'fake' in them, they're just grains and breadcrumbs and nuts and whatnot. We say 'burger' to basically mean 'patty' and 'meatball' to mean 'ball' because those are familiar terms, not necessarily because we're trying to recreate meat! Sheesh! I feel like if I had just said 'stuffing balls' he would have said it sounds awesome and probably tried one out, but now that he has it in his head that I'm trying to recreate meat (impossible, by the way!) he will have weird expectations and either not like them or not try them.

Stubborn, picky omnis!

D is very, very open minded and unpicky about food, and ate lots of vegan stuff on his own before meeting me because it's cheap. BUT we had a totally weird interaction last night, where he said something to the effect of his having sacrificed some of his "food identity" by eating vegan 98% of the time at home. I was completely thrown for a loop and couldn't bite my tongue hard enough to stop "and what does THAT mean?" from escaping from my mouth. He mumbled something about "you are what you eat," and I just kind of left it at that. I know he attaches some significance to eating salmon because of his Native American origin, but I was just kind of shocked to hear such typical omni BS come out of his mouth, when he's normally super cool about it all. That said, I'm pretty sure that was mostly just a product of him being in a super grumpy mood, not something he actually really believes (I HOPE!).

It is frustrating to hear that stuff from someone you love. T never says anything to me about what I eat, as long as I'm not trying to make him eat it. Especially since we don't live together, it's no big deal - we just make/order our own food. His food habits are very much tied in with his identity as this macho dude, which is silly and almost endearing most of the time (and most of it is in jest). But for some reason when it comes to me serving food to other people he gets all weird about it. It's this big deal that a bunch of his friends like to cook and are foodies, so my food has to try extra hard to compete with their meat and cheese. I hate feeling like I have to prove that vegan food is awesome. They all love my baked goods, but they act so surprised when they like something savory, and it feels like it's always been judged extra hard since it doesn't have the usual foodie fallbacks. That's also why I've vowed not to try to serve them anything especially 'vegan' like tofu, tempeh, seitan, fake cheese, etc, but I like to cook with those things so figuring out what to feed them can be difficult. And I feel like half the time, they don't even try my stuff, or they take a bite and just eat more of everything else. It's a little more stressful than I'd like it to be.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:40 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Allularpunk, you should let T. read this blog on Cadry's Kitchen: My Take on Fake: Patties, Sausages and other Shapes.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I like that post and did explain to him that all those words were just shapes. I think he was in a mood last night.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:14 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

torque wrote:
39. vegans kill their babies by making them drink cod liver oil
And then refuse to cook and eat them, even though they A. claim to be environmentalists, and B. could really use the protein.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:05 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

emmalv wrote:
12. Full dissertations on "tofu is gross. And scary." ( Said dissertations are entirely anecdotal, as no normal people have actually eaten tofu and everyone knows that.)

I fell pretty lucky that most people I know and work with are pretty open-minded about food but this is one I hear a lot. "Tofu is gross, though I have not eaten it"

Shamini wrote:
35) Vegan privilege

35(a) How expensive a vegan diet is

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:35 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

lepelaar wrote:
Allularpunk, you should let T. read this blog on Cadry's Kitchen: My Take on Fake: Patties, Sausages and other Shapes.

Best quote.

Quote:
In my mind I think of these same naysayers going to Disneyland and seeing kids riding on Autopia. I can imagine them standing out front getting angry at the parents…“Hey, you SAY that you don’t want 4-year-olds to drive, and then you take them here and put them behind the wheel! Which is it? Should toddlers drive or shouldn’t they?”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:36 pm 
Naked Under Apron

My s-i-l is bringing an apple pie with a cheddar crust to Thanksgiving dinner. So now I can't bring an apple pie because that would be redundant. So I get no apple pie (it's my favorite).

I don't really want to make one for no reason and eat it all myself, but that seems to be the only solution here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Amy wrote:
My s-i-l is bringing an apple pie with a cheddar crust to Thanksgiving dinner. So now I can't bring an apple pie because that would be redundant. So I get no apple pie (it's my favorite).

I don't really want to make one for no reason and eat it all myself, but that seems to be the only solution here.

Make apple tarts or mini pocket pie things and eat them all week :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:43 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

allularpunk wrote:

But for some reason when it comes to me serving food to other people he gets all weird about it. It's this big deal that a bunch of his friends like to cook and are foodies, so my food has to try extra hard to compete with their meat and cheese. I hate feeling like I have to prove that vegan food is awesome. They all love my baked goods, but they act so surprised when they like something savory, and it feels like it's always been judged extra hard since it doesn't have the usual foodie fallbacks. That's also why I've vowed not to try to serve them anything especially 'vegan' like tofu, tempeh, seitan, fake cheese, etc, but I like to cook with those things so figuring out what to feed them can be difficult. And I feel like half the time, they don't even try my stuff, or they take a bite and just eat more of everything else. It's a little more stressful than I'd like it to be.

I know it's not always that simple, but man, in your place, I'd cook whatever the damn hell I wanted, and if the foodies didn't like it, well, more leftovers for me. I'd also serve it while wearing this pin from Food Fight:

After 10 years of veganism, I'm pretty good at being "the cool vegan" who's not super uptight or aggro about stuff, but at the same time, I'm not taking any shiitake from foodies or anyone else. Neither of us has anything to prove on behalf of veganism or vegan food. Let them eat tofu, say I.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:45 pm 
Dead by dawn

Moon wrote:
Amy wrote:

Make apple tarts or mini pocket pie things and eat them all week :)

Or make apple tarts/mini pies and keep a couple out to eat, freezing the rest as insurance against future apple pie emergencies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:49 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Ha, apple pie emergencies are the worst kind!

That is probably the best idea. Mini pies or tarts or something. And they will be adorable and everyone will be jealous. I just get cranky because it's been 8 years and they still don't even try to ever make food I can eat. Like they always opt for the much less common non-vegan version of things.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:51 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Today: "oh I was a vegetarian but then I ended up with anaemia so I had to start eating meat and having a high protein diet. I just need as much protein as possible."

Also..... catered lunch at course. One option.... bacon. Also, it was in the middle of nowhere but thankfully I knew what was ahead of me the last two days and had brought a lunch and snacks for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jordanpattern wrote:

HA!

I've never had an apple pie emergency, but I have had cherry pie emergencies.

Wait. Hmmm. That could be taken a few different ways.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:31 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

jordanpattern wrote:

I know it's not always that simple, but man, in your place, I'd cook whatever the damn hell I wanted, and if the foodies didn't like it, well, more leftovers for me. I'd also serve it while wearing this pin from Food Fight:

After 10 years of veganism, I'm pretty good at being "the cool vegan" who's not super uptight or aggro about stuff, but at the same time, I'm not taking any shiitake from foodies or anyone else. Neither of us has anything to prove on behalf of veganism or vegan food. Let them eat tofu, say I.

I'm just such a people pleaser...I love cooking for people and want them to like what I make! But that isn't always up to me, I know. It's just so off-base for me because my old group of friends (most of them moved away, some of them turned out to be crassholes, so we don't all hang out anymore) was super open to vegan food and would eat anything I made, regardless of the ingredients. That, to me, is a real foodie! Someone open-minded enough to eat anything and see how awesome it can be with or without the usual suspects. Anyway, yeah. I'm gonna make stuffing balls, and call them stuffing balls, and maybe a pumpkin-y dessert. Luckily, I love leftovers.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:35 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

jordanpattern wrote:

All of this, with the additional note that I'll be damned if I'll cook things I don't believe in eating and/or go hungry in order to keep other people in their comfort zones. You don't like/want/consent to try what I cooked? Well, there's the door that leads to a whole wide world of whatever the hell you want, binky-boo!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:31 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

My omni partner argues with me (not mean argue, just discussions) about 'burgers' a lot. And how fake meat is stupid.

Um, ok, I just want something burger shaped to fit in the buns they sell at the store. Patties. balls, WHATEVS.

Not even five minutes later we were discussing a thanksgiving menu for this year "Make Tofurkey! We haven't had that all year. Me likely"

I couldn't help but laugh. In his face. In a very preachy, self entitled vegan way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:59 pm 
Grandfathered In

The willful ignorance about fake meat is the absolute worst (except for all the other things that are also the absolute worst). Do people actually not get it? Are they just trolling? Because it makes no sense.

Them: I thought you didn't like hamburger meat, but now you're eating something that is shaped like—and kind of tastes like—a hamburger? Explain that one, Einstein.

Me: Well, it's not hamburger meat. It's made of plants.

Them: I know, but isn't vegetarianism or veganism motivated by not liking the way meat tastes?

Me: What? No. Who thinks that?

Them: Hypocrite!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I didn't give up eating salami because I hated salami! If I could get a good vegan salami it would be HOT SALAMI SAMMICHES EVERY DAY AT LUNCH.

But all vegans are against the taste of meat, so I must be.... Something else?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:20 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i've noticed that my non-vegan friends seem to go way out of their way to avoid meat analogues when they're making vegan food for me, but i think it's part of the vegan = superhealth misconception. i love vegetables, but i'll be so o.k. with it if you just hand me a plate of chikn nuggets and ketchup.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

acr wrote:
chikn nuggets and ketchup.

I think you meant mustard. It's ok, I forgive you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:28 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i don't even understand what you just said.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:30 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Maybe you both meant vegenaise mixed with frank's red hot?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:34 pm 
And you never will.

ijustdiedinside wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ijustdiedinside wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342 ... 493  Next