| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350, 351 ... 506  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

linanil wrote:
I know peanut butter may be an issue but I remember a ppker saying that they looked forward to getting peanut butter from the food bank so I usually try to donate a couple jars.

I've been doing that too for the same reason! I hope it makes up for donating not so nice stuff that I don't want.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:52 am 
Flounceiad 2011

choirqueer wrote:
"Happy Turkey Day". I would love to never hear that ever again. I can't even manage a response to it. I can't say thank you to that. Ugh.
Yeah; tell it to the turkeys.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:00 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

The person who is having my partner and me over for Thanksgiving today just reposted a picture of a dead, raw turkey propped up in a sink with a beer under one wing and a remote control resting under the other with the "joke" that they were told to let the turkey "chill in the sink" before cooking. All her friends think it's high-larious.

I really shouldn't complain because 1) I know it's not hers - she told me she just picked up some turkey breasts for the meat eaters - and she's just reposting it, and 2) she's been really really great about making me feel welcome, making sure everything but the turkey is vegan friendly, and even picking up vegan chick'n pieces for me (and I'm bringing pie and rolls).

But I just can't laugh at jokes like that. The sad thing is, I remember being able to way back when. In a sort of "cringelaugh" way. But now I just get extra irritated at all the "LOL"s and "too funny"s.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:22 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

lepelaar wrote:
The person who is having my partner and me over for Thanksgiving today just reposted a picture of a dead, raw turkey propped up in a sink with a beer under one wing and a remote control resting under the other with the "joke" that they were told to let the turkey "chill in the sink" before cooking. All her friends think it's high-larious.

I really shouldn't complain because 1) I know it's not hers - she told me she just picked up some turkey breasts for the meat eaters - and she's just reposting it, and 2) she's been really really great about making me feel welcome, making sure everything but the turkey is vegan friendly, and even picking up vegan chick'n pieces for me (and I'm bringing pie and rolls).

But I just can't laugh at jokes like that. The sad thing is, I remember being able to way back when. In a sort of "cringelaugh" way. But now I just get extra irritated at all the "LOL"s and "too funny"s.

Yeah, a friend of mine just posted that too and I just about vomited.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:08 am 
Semen Strong

Same here, the carcass is in the sink, with giant onions for eyes. Its horrifying and sad.

I am glad there is a place we can go to say that it is not very nice, without being told to lighten up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:23 am 
Semen Strong

A friend of mine posted this:

Quote:
May every creature abound in well being and peace. May every living being, weak or strong, long and small, short and medium sized, the mean and the great, may every living creature, seen and unseen, those dwelling far off, those wanting to be born, May all attain peace.

Happy Thanksgiving, Friends.

And then is going to be preparing a traditional Italian feast of dead everything.

Oh cognitive dissonance, you are super.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:51 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

These stories of propping up turkeys, affixing vegetables for eyes, etc are really enraging me. Like I shouldn't be this mad but I am. The very least these people can do is have some forking respect already.
Yes, tofulish, I agree - I am glad I can shout off my little bit of angst about it here, because expressing even the remotest iota of this sentiment in The Real World and people look at you like you're nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:02 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I reposted a cartoon of facebook yesterday. How do you know there i na vegan in the room... the horde of questioning omnis will tell you.

The most obnoxious meat defenders were the only ones to respond.... with they typical "I'm not that bad."

Yes it is a peeve, but at the same time I find it prove my point.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:13 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Moon wrote:
kimba wrote:
brontrent wrote:
Conversation with my 7 year old daughter at dinner tonight:

Her: Mom, is there any milk group in our dinner tonight?
Me: No, why? (We were eating split pea soup, bread and carrot sticks)
Her: because I am supposed to eat the milk group at every meal, do you have something from the milk group I can have?
Me: Was the school talking to you about that again? (as I stir some almond milk in the soup, it cools the soup down and covers the "milk group")
Her: Yes, a lady was there and she had a big inflatable cow

Basically a couple times a year someone from the dairy association comes to the school and talks about all the food groups but really pushes the dairy obviously. I really hate how they try to get to these children when they are so young and easily influenced (I realize that is their whole point.) Let the brainwashing begin early. Of course I try to tell her that they have their own agenda and dairy is not necessary but every time they come to the school she comes home and asks for food from the "milk group". Vent over.

That's so messed up! They should not be allowed to do that.

I don't feel like other areas are hit by the dairy mafia quite like in Ontario. Every other commercial makes me feel like I'm being hit with a big inflatable cow while watching tv. I particularly hate the ones showing people eating a cheese sandwich and washing it down with a big glass of milk. Really? Does anyone need THAT much dairy in one sitting?

Or the ones with the dietician and Stefano Faita (sp?). Better make sure you sneak extra dairy servings in every meal you eat! Make soup that consists almost entirely of milk, and add some yogurt- dairy insurance!

Blah, this sucks so much. I live in a country that's one of the biggest dairy consumers in the world and I was basically brainwashed to believe that without dairy all my bones will start breaking when I'm 30 years old and the only source of calcium in the world is milk. There were propaganda posters in every school cafeteria and apparently schools and kindergartens still receive money from the government to make kids drink more milk. That is so wrong!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:20 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thonks wrote:
Blah, this sucks so much. I live in a country that's one of the biggest dairy consumers in the world and I was basically brainwashed to believe that without dairy all my bones will start breaking when I'm 30 years old and the only source of calcium in the world is milk. There were propaganda posters in every school cafeteria and apparently schools and kindergartens still receive money from the government to make kids drink more milk. That is so wrong!

It really is a kind of propaganda. Yet try to explain to anyone that dairy is not essential despite what companies say, and suddenly you're sidelined to the same bench as Bigfoot believers and that dude who swears the gubment is tracking his bowel movements by spy cameras.

Edited to say no offence to friends of Bigfoot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:00 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Hazel wrote:
Thonks wrote:

It really is a kind of propaganda. Yet try to explain to anyone that dairy is not essential despite what companies say, and suddenly you're sidelined to the same bench as Bigfoot believers and that dude who swears the gubment is tracking his bowel movements by spy cameras.

Too late! Bigfoot's gunna fork you up when I tell her what you said!

Hehe.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:18 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Thanks for your thoughts on the food bank, all!

I actually did donate a lot of random ethnic stuff when I moved out of the DC area. The moving company gave us a flier saying that the movers would take bags of food to the DC food bank, and I figured, hey, there are TONS of different nationalities in DC so I bet some people will love random jars of Korean condiments from the H-mart, bags of random grains, canned stuff from the supermercado, etc. Well the next day the packer told me he'd taken it to his church instead. Now, I didn't say anything or report it but I was actually kind of pissed off about that - first, I'm not religious and I don't really feel like giving exclusively to random religious believers, but also I feel like the stuff had much less chance of finding a home that would make use of some of the stuff. I guess the moral is that when I move in a few months I will take things in to a bank directly.

But I think for now I will donate cash, just because the money will go so much farther.

ETA for the sake of those moving: I learned after I moved that Food Not Bombs might have taken open containers of things. I always have a TON of mostly full, near-new things that I have to throw away when I move, and I think next time I'll drop them a line to see if they want it. I understand why most places don't take open things, but really, I'm not doing anything gross to my jug o' olive oil or soy sauce and hate throwing things down the drain.

Last edited by annak on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:18 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

dropscone wrote:
Hazel wrote:
Thonks wrote:

Too late! Bigfoot's gunna fork you up when I tell her what you said!

Hehe.

:D Heh, like she'll ever come out of her forest to actually find me. She's too busy freaking out hikers and getting blurry, shaky photos taken of herself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:50 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

annak wrote:
ETA for the sake of those moving: I learned after I moved that Food Not Bombs might have taken open containers of things. I always have a TON of mostly full, near-new things that I have to throw away when I move, and I think next time I'll drop them a line to see if they want it. I understand why most places don't take open things, but really, I'm not doing anything gross to my jug o' olive oil or soy sauce and hate throwing things down the drain.

Is it common for people to throw away food when they move? I would either find friends or neighbours to give it to or take it with me!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:54 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

probably depends on where you're moving. If you're moving to a new place in the same town you'd probably take your food. if you're moving across the country then it might not be worth the transportation costs to take it or be feasible food safety wise.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:12 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

So, in the middle of all the pictures of cooked turkeys on Facebook, I have a (vegan) friend posting things like, "Answer: 45 million...What's the question?" Heh ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

responded to a way way old post. Nevermind.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:13 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My coworker is a way super nice lady, but I'm so sick of her telling people I'm gluten free. She knows I'm vegan! She doesn't have celiac's, she is one of those folks who just prefers to avoid it cause she feels better. That's great! Cool!
But I'm vegan! Twice now, people have brought me GF treats, and I've had to say, "Thank you." And hide them! At one point, she told someone right in front of me.

Person offers me a cookie.
Me: Oh, no I-
Coworker: She's gluten free too.
Ten minutes later, person returns with a GF cookie.
Me: Oh...uh...thank you... (thinking: I can't eat this.)
So easy! So simple! LET ME BE VEGAN.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:53 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Why didn't you correct her?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:01 pm 
***LIES!!!***

annak wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts on the food bank, all!

I actually did donate a lot of random ethnic stuff when I moved out of the DC area. The moving company gave us a flier saying that the movers would take bags of food to the DC food bank, and I figured, hey, there are TONS of different nationalities in DC so I bet some people will love random jars of Korean condiments from the H-mart, bags of random grains, canned stuff from the supermercado, etc. Well the next day the packer told me he'd taken it to his church instead. Now, I didn't say anything or report it but I was actually kind of pissed off about that - first, I'm not religious and I don't really feel like giving exclusively to random religious believers, but also I feel like the stuff had much less chance of finding a home that would make use of some of the stuff. I guess the moral is that when I move in a few months I will take things in to a bank directly.

But I think for now I will donate cash, just because the money will go so much farther.

I either give money or buy things specifically off the organization's wish list. There is always a ton of vegan stuff on their wish lists. Food banks are always low on fresh produce and people really want that stuff, so consider donating some if you are actually bringing it to the bank rather than dumping in a box!

I find that most soup kitchens (not pantries) will accept open containers of stuff. Probably best if you have an ongoing relationship with the place so they trust you. Alternatively, you can sign up to cook something and use up your open containers that way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:47 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Ruby Rose wrote:

I was taken aback by the fact she talked over me. And then they walked off to have a meeting, so it wasn't like I had the opportunity. I had no idea the client was going to go purchase vegan cookies for us.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Desdemona wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
"Happy Turkey Day". I would love to never hear that ever again. I can't even manage a response to it. I can't say thank you to that. Ugh.
Yeah; tell it to the turkeys.

I got this a LOT yesterday and started replying, "happy pumpkin day!" I got a lot of giggles out of it. Everyone knows pumpkin everything is what Thanksgiving (and October and September and hey, maybe August. . .) is all about. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

missdelaney wrote:
Ruby Rose wrote:

I was taken aback by the fact she talked over me. And then they walked off to have a meeting, so it wasn't like I had the opportunity. I had no idea the client was going to go purchase vegan cookies for us.

I haaaate that. I have such a hard time when people are really pushy and then the window of opportunity for fixing the misunderstanding closes.

Maybe your coworker has just genuinely misremembered and she's thinking of someone else though? It sounds like this happens a lot so maybe not. I hope you didn't miss out on the vegan cookies because of it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:52 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

brontrent wrote:
Conversation with my 7 year old daughter at dinner tonight:

Her: Mom, is there any milk group in our dinner tonight?
Me: No, why? (We were eating split pea soup, bread and carrot sticks)
Her: because I am supposed to eat the milk group at every meal, do you have something from the milk group I can have?
Me: Was the school talking to you about that again? (as I stir some almond milk in the soup, it cools the soup down and covers the "milk group")
Her: Yes, a lady was there and she had a big inflatable cow

Basically a couple times a year someone from the dairy association comes to the school and talks about all the food groups but really pushes the dairy obviously. I really hate how they try to get to these children when they are so young and easily influenced (I realize that is their whole point.) Let the brainwashing begin early. Of course I try to tell her that they have their own agenda and dairy is not necessary but every time they come to the school she comes home and asks for food from the "milk group". Vent over.

Ugh. My omni partner and I have had discussions about this. We both agree, despite our dietary/ethical lifestyles being different, that NO for profit industry should come in and push their agenda on schoolchildren. It seriously peas me off. Don't people realize that they are just marketing to their children?

I would be equally mad if a vegan company did this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:57 pm 
Semen Strong

Could you imagine the outrage if a vegan company came in to a school and talked about some of the issues in animal agriculture? There would be an uproar!

My partner's best friend got so upset when my partner told his friend's 16 year old son that milk wasn't very good for you, despite the dairy propaganda. Because a 16 year old needs his milk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 350, 351 ... 506  Next