| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 474  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:15 pm 
Grandfathered In

Yes, but it's only the adults with degrees in Hypothetical Situational Ethics. But then there are the Evolutionary Odontologists to look out for, also.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

ashley wrote:
I'm getting a little tired of the guy in my office who has brought fish tacos for lunch every day this week and microwaved them, filling the whole office with the sweet, sweet smell of week-old reheated seafood.

Although I'm not sure that's necessarily a vegan complaint. It's more of a having-a-nose complaint.

I was recently on a plane where a woman was eating an egg mcmuffin sandwich (or something like that) so the whole area smelled like eggs- I thought I was going to puke.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:07 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Bringing smelly food on an airplane is the most inconsiderate thing ever. There's always some crasshole with McDonald's and it peas me the fork off. Eat it before you board!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:39 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i was at a party last night and noticed a woman picking the meat off her potato skin. Asked her if she was veg. She took a deep breath and said, "well, no, i don't eat mammals, because i feel so BAD!"
i couldn't say anything bad, since she was helping SOME animals, but i wanted to send her the link to the fish suffering video, and videos of the chicken ladies i know, and all that.
instead i told her that it was awesome, told her i was a vegan, and if she wanted to give up all animal products i'd be happy to pass on recipes, etc etc.

at which point her spouse started interrogating me- where do you get your protein, don't you know we're evolved to eat meat, etc etc etc.
aaaaaaaaaaaaargh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:49 am 
Semen Strong

My Dad "But you've always LOVED meat!"

Yes, but I didn't stop eating it because it isn't delicious. If there were a cruelty-free steak, that was well-prepared, with lots of salty crunchy fries and cruelty-free spinach dip, I'd be all over it.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:02 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Last night I went out to eat with a big group and one of the guys I didn't know well was saying how sister said that because she is a vegetarian she saves two cows a year and he was like "THAT'S THE STUPIDEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD, IT'S NOT TWO COWS SO STUPID BLAH BLAH BLAH."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I was recently on a plane where a woman was eating an egg mcmuffin sandwich (or something like that) so the whole area smelled like eggs- I thought I was going to puke.

I've been to Tim Hortons with friends on certain mornings of them wanting donuts and egg wraps. Ugh, the smell was so gross!!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:51 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

stuckunderhere wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

I've been to Tim Hortons with friends on certain mornings of them wanting donuts and egg wraps. Ugh, the smell was so gross!!

I have a coworker who eats nothing except gas station hot dogs. He buys them 10 at a time and keeps the ones he doesnt eat in the fridge in our office (which is the size of most people's bathrooms) then reheats them in the microwave. I definetly feel the horrid smell in a confined space complaint haha.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:31 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My best friend is a pretty open minded person but she likes to make fun of my veganism by saying things like :what do you eat? dirt?" I think she's trying to be funny, but I really just want to punch her in the face when she says shiitake like that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:48 pm 
Tofu Pup

People looking with delight at then tasting a cookie/cupcake/other delicious thing I've brought into work, then after finding out it's vegan wincing and saying to me 'ooh...mmm...it's just missing something'

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:44 am 
Seagull of the PPK

FabulouslyFierce wrote:
My best friend is a pretty open minded person but she likes to make fun of my veganism by saying things like :what do you eat? dirt?" I think she's trying to be funny, but I really just want to punch her in the face when she says shiitake like that.

you know, most of the other shiitake, it's from people we don't know, and so we can just shrug it off. but when it's someone you know, that shiitake is just so hard to deal with.
i still rankle from a friend of mine, who will materialize at my house at the drop of a hat when i mention i'm cooking-- yet sponging off us at a beach weekend, she made some comment about how she couldn't stand to eat at home any more, she needed to go out and get "some real food, some MEAT!" i wished i could have kicked her out right then and there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:51 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

stella. wrote:
People looking with delight at then tasting a cookie/cupcake/other delicious thing I've brought into work, then after finding out it's vegan wincing and saying to me 'ooh...mmm...it's just missing something'

Luckily I haven't had someone react that way...if there is surprise it's just that it's not full of tofu or granola or something.

One of my good friends once tried to keep other people at a party from polishing off a batch of cookies by telling them they were vegan...it didn't work. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:37 pm 
Semen Strong

Whenever I start to really like a local moms group of people who are not vegan, they post about free range turkeys or bone broth or going to zoos, and I immediately feel alienated. Thank goodness for my amazing PPK mamas because they keep my eyes from rolling out my head.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:50 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

My office is organizing a Thanksgiving "turkey drive" for the food bank, and while I'm not actively protesting it, I'm not patting anybody on the back for their good deed, either. And everyone is kind of acting like I'm a bad person for not jumping on board to feed carcasses to the less fortunate. I said I'd be happy to participate if we could donate something vegan as well (because I'm seriously not about to help unload the truck full of turkeys), and they just rolled their eyes at me. So... yeah. I'm the crasshole who wants to deprive poor people of Thanksgiving dinner.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:13 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I stayed over my best friend's house the other night and brought her cookies, which she loved, knew were vegan, didn't ask if there was tofu in them, none of that stuff.

And then she said, "But you still don't eat cheese. I would DIE if I didn't eat cheese. How do you not eat cheese?" (This is actually how she said it. She's heavy on the drama.)

I just told her that when I want cheese really bad, I eat daiya, but I don't really miss cheese and I don't eat it because that's what I've chosen. She looked horrified.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:25 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
Whenever I start to really like a local moms group of people who are not vegan, they post about free range turkeys or bone broth or going to zoos, and I immediately feel alienated. Thank goodness for my amazing PPK mamas because they keep my eyes from rolling out my head.
This sort of thing happens to me with colleagues. I don't make a big deal of the vegan thing at school, and it only comes up if there's a lunch or something (there are several vegetarians in my program, along with one woman who loads of food allergies; fortunately, our dept. secretary is excellent about making sure we all get fed), or if interested people get hooked up with my blog. So I'll be getting all friendly with someone, and then get invited to (or am obliged to attend) some event where everyone is getting all wet about some poor dead animal or its various effluvia.

The latest is this FB invitation from a woman I don't know well, but quite like so far, with the subject heading "_____ Roasts A Chicken."

Hi All!!! So, I keep saying I'll roast a chicken and the time has come :) I want a chance for my favorite people to meet and eat at my table. Please let me know if Saturday doesn't work for you. I can try and find another day to have this dinner. Feel free to bring a guest; just send me a quick text so I can make more dishes. The menu: roast chicken, butternut squash, cheesy potatoes, salad, mac and cheese.

She seems like a really nice person, and I'd be happy to know her better but I have no interest in attending an event whose raison d'être is the immolation of a dead bird, over which everyone will be oohing and aahing. So I'm sending regrets.(As it is, I had to go to dinner Friday night with a visiting scholar who ordered a barely-dead steak and then proceeded to talk about how meat should be "almost raw." I withheld comment and ate my curry until the subject changed, but I think that's enough for one week.)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:12 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

creep wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
Why does being vegan have to be such a big deal? I am so tired of people pointing out to everyone that I'm vegan.

My mom would even do this to me as a vegetarian. Like, she would ask me if there's anything on the menu I can eat, and when I would say I had plenty to choose from (being vegetarian was easy!), she would still say to the server, "She's vegetarian. Is there anything she can eat?!"

this drives me insane and has been the bane of my existance since going veg over 15ish years ago.
i know people are just trying to be nice and they are just concerned but it's like I CAN READ A MENU PEOPLE. since most places only have a couple veg options usually i can decide what i want super quick and be done with it and i have people yacking in my ear "well you can have this" "im all set" "you can try that" "im all set" OVER AND OVER AND OVER

my MIL also likes to tell people im a vegan at restaurants whether it's really necessary to bring up or not. i dont like to point out specifically that im vegan i just like to order my food and be left alone.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:19 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

SpiceMiner wrote:
stuckunderhere wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

I have a coworker who eats nothing except gas station hot dogs. He buys them 10 at a time and keeps the ones he doesnt eat in the fridge in our office (which is the size of most people's bathrooms) then reheats them in the microwave. I definetly feel the horrid smell in a confined space complaint haha.

the office building i work in has a cafe in it and apparently they serve breakfast. a few mornings a week i walk in and am just slammed with the smell of bacon and ham and i have to hold my breathe to escape the smell.
i have never liked bacon, even when i ate meat i couldnt stand bacon. blech.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:25 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't feel it necessary to announce to various servers that I'm vegan. I went home for a week, and whenever I'd try to ask questions about something, my mom or dad had to announce, "She's a vegan!" I think they're proud or amazed or something. I don't know. My issue is that not everyone knows what that means, so don't interrupt me when I'm asking about egg/dairy/fish stock.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:34 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My mom used to do the read the menu thing to me when I was a vegetarian (I haven't seen her since being vegan, but I don't think there's really any place we would eat together now anyway). I try to stick to places that are general veg*n friendly, like my local Thai place has vegetarian pad thai listed separately from the 'normal' pad thai, so I just get that without the egg. But if I am in a situation where I have to ask questions I get nervous because, generally servers don't care or what if they lie to me or various other reasons to panic. If i'm with my sister-in-law, she will ask the question but doesn't embarrass me by saying something like, "SHE wants to know..." She just says, "Does this pasta dish come with cheese?"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:37 am 
WRETCHED

ashley wrote:
My office is organizing a Thanksgiving "turkey drive" for the food bank, and while I'm not actively protesting it, I'm not patting anybody on the back for their good deed, either. And everyone is kind of acting like I'm a bad person for not jumping on board to feed carcasses to the less fortunate. I said I'd be happy to participate if we could donate something vegan as well (because I'm seriously not about to help unload the truck full of turkeys), and they just rolled their eyes at me. So... yeah. I'm the crasshole who wants to deprive poor people of Thanksgiving dinner.

I think you should do what you feel is comfortable. My company does this every year and they had a variety of jobs in packing packages for the families, which was basically designed to be an entire meal (and then some). Some people were bagging the vegetables and others were unloading the turkeys. I actually was involved with unloading the turkeys but that was within my own comfort level and I wouldn't expect every veg*n person to be comfortable with it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:42 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

torque wrote:
FabulouslyFierce wrote:

you know, most of the other shiitake, it's from people we don't know, and so we can just shrug it off. but when it's someone you know, that shiitake is just so hard to deal with.
i still rankle from a friend of mine, who will materialize at my house at the drop of a hat when i mention i'm cooking-- yet sponging off us at a beach weekend, she made some comment about how she couldn't stand to eat at home any more, she needed to go out and get "some real food, some MEAT!" i wished i could have kicked her out right then and there.

Exactly, we've been best friends for 25 years. I know she is not a moron, so her comments peas me off even more.

You should have kicked her out!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:07 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I had a friend like that. Key word is had. She made fun of me for being a vegetarian, so I didn't even tell her when I went vegan, she figured it out from some food pictures I posted on Myspace. We got into a small disagreement (literally all I said was 'I thought kids weren't supposed to have eggs and dairy until they were over a year in case of allergies developing') that I didn't realize had deeply offended her sensibilities, so while I was out of the house she blew up my yahoo messenger (man am I dating this incident or what) with all kinds of crazy shiitake and couldn't seem to fathom the idea that I was really not there, wrote a myspace blog about how I wanted her to starve her child, full of insults, and I decided I was done. This was a girl I had known for almost ten years (we went to high school together) and she absolutely went off of the deep end and really showed her true colors, and I had not said a single word back. I actually had to delete my myspace account because of her and she called me after blocking caller id. Then a few months later she got drunk (I assume) and figured out where my blog was and left me a long series of trollish, crasshole comments (including how delicious meat is) and ended it all with 'I don't understand why you won't be my friend, you are so close-minded when all I ever did was accept you!!!!'

And that is probably the biggest factor in why I don't discuss me being vegan with most people. I have to know that you're not absolutely crazy first.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:43 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

My mom feels the need to inform everyone of my diet as well. When I don't know what food will be available, (like on a friend's boat) I provide for myself. Thanks, mom for announcing it, so that now I have to explain myself. Or, in suggesting we invite a local author over for a dinner. "Does he know you're vegan?" Who cares? Why not just make tasty food? Never went through with the invite.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:55 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Desdemona wrote:
Hi All!!! So, I keep saying I'll roast a chicken and the time has come :) I want a chance for my favorite people to meet and eat at my table. Please let me know if Saturday doesn't work for you. I can try and find another day to have this dinner. Feel free to bring a guest; just send me a quick text so I can make more dishes. The menu: roast chicken, butternut squash, cheesy potatoes, salad, mac and cheese.

But... but... there will be SALAD for you!

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 474  Next