| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357 ... 425  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

couroupita wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
I don't worry much about sugar because most of the sugar over here is beet sugar. That said, I don't really worry about sugar in store-bought items where I don't know the source either.

I confess I don't pay attention to the vegan status of alcohol either. This isn't so much of an issue with beer as most Belgian beers are vegan by default, but I am acutely aware that I may be drinking wine that's processed with animal products. I would never use non-vegan wine when cooking for other vegans (which basically translates to not cooking with wine when cooking for other vegans), but I find it difficult to figure out which wines available in the supermarkets here are/aren't vegan. Barnivore seems to focus mainly on wines commercially available in the US (not to mention, I don't usually have internet access when I'm at the store), and the lists I've seen for Europe are specific the wines available at certain UK/Dutch supermarkets. I've basically resigned myself to not knowing. (And even if I do figure out which ones are safe to buy for my own use, I'm unlikely to turn down wine offered by other folks.)

I had an awkward interaction at a party, where an omni guest brought wine and one of the uber aggressive vegan guests asked if it was vegan. He didn't even know wine could not be vegan, and she Barnivored it up in front of the whole party and then announced loudly and disapprovingly that it wasn't (which I'm not even sure is true...it wasn't on the list at all). It just felt really mean and judgy to do to a super nice vegan-friendly person and anyone else who was drinking. Knowing it wasn't vegan, I wouldn't have taken any, but I felt like I got roped into being a jerk by association. Honestly, I've never rejected wine at a party because it's offered way too fast for me to check its vegan status and I don't really want to come off as the militant weirdo. If I can get a look at the label I'll try to look it up on my phone and decide what to do from there, which is usually to drink what I'm given and then refuse refills. If someone asks why I don't want more I'll just say it's not vegan and if they ask questions I'll engage them in a lighthearted discussion. I guess it's hypocritical? I wouldn't do the same with actual things containing animal products but wine seems less icky. I'm more interested in making people vegan-allies than turning them off so I guess that's my justification. What do you guys do? I'm not sure how to be polite in this case.

If I'm at a dinner party or at someone's home or something and they offer me wine, and I want to drink wine, I would just accept it. I don't take out my phone and look it up on barnivore. If I actually *know* it's not vegan I guess I wouldn't accept it (but I would just say no thank you, I'm not drinking tonight or something like that, I wouldn't say no, I don't want it because it's not vegan). I guess I have a don't ask don't tell policy.

I'm not saying this is logical, it's just how I roll.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:32 am 
Chard Martyr

I know people are just trying to help, but I am so tired of dining companions scouring the menu immediately as though it is their job to find what I can eat because I'm obviously incapable of navigating a menu for vegan-ness, you know, being the vegan and all. And nine times out of ten they'll find the one on-purpose vegetarian thing (usually a veggie burger), and they are baffled when I don't order it because 1) I have to make a thousand modifications to veganize it and have to ask about the bread, patty, and everything that's put on it, and 2) I don't really love veggie burgers--especially dry ones with just a squirt of mustard, and 3) I know how to make a vegan meal out of sides/modified dishes so please just order for yourself and leave me to it!

This is obviously a pet-peeve and not something I'm genuinely angry about--I just hate it when people make such a big deal of ordering.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:33 am 
Semen Strong

Grey's Anatomy.

Last nights' episode had Meredith experimenting on a sheep. It would have been disturbing on any show, but here it felt like a big step backwards, given how sensitively Grey's has handled the animal experimentation issue in the past.

When Katherine Heigl was on the show, she pushed for them to consider the animal testing angle, so they did an episode on the pig lab, which was so balanced - showing the interns learning from the procedures performed, but also considering how casually cruel it was to be experimenting on the pigs and then killing them when they were no longer of any use. I was disturbed by the casual way that animal experiments were portrayed and the way that there was no discussion, besides a throw away joke to trivialize the suffering of the animal being experimented on ("I'm just annoying a sheep").

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ugh my partner got all excited about some box of chocolates at a store and even though he knows better, he just looked at the bottom of the ingredients list where it says "Contains _______". It just said soy, wheat and coconut so he bought em; as soon as I looked at the actual ingredients list "Butterfat" and "Milk powder" jumped out at me. Now, why the hell would the milk powder not be listed with that other common allergen list?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:20 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My group at work is planning on having a Christmas lunch, so may boss comes to me and asks me to pick a place since I'm "the one with the stupid diet"...nice eh? So I tell him a few different places where I know they're willing to accomodate vegans AND they're really awesome places that everyone would want to eat at. Then today he sends out the invite and it's at a steakhouse where I know I can eat nothing, awesome. Maybe I'll be sick that day or resort to a liquid lunch.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:22 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Oh, man, I taught my boyfriend the allergens quick check trick for when he buys me snacks and things, and I'm just waiting on the day that it bites me on the asparagus because I know that some sneaky things are in there that don't make it to the allergens list. It just seemed at the time that it would be overwhelming to try and teach him about every little thing that can be in things. I guess I'll just wait until it happens and make it a teaching moment.

Bummer about the chocolates, though!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:51 pm 

Maggie Muggins wrote:
My group at work is planning on having a Christmas lunch, so may boss comes to me and asks me to pick a place since I'm "the one with the stupid diet"...nice eh? So I tell him a few different places where I know they're willing to accomodate vegans AND they're really awesome places that everyone would want to eat at. Then today he sends out the invite and it's at a steakhouse where I know I can eat nothing, awesome. Maybe I'll be sick that day or resort to a liquid lunch.

That's a real dick move, IMO. I'm angry for you and pbly wouldn't go.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:08 pm 
Saggy Butt

Audrey wrote:
ugh my partner got all excited about some box of chocolates at a store and even though he knows better, he just looked at the bottom of the ingredients list where it says "Contains _______". It just said soy, wheat and coconut so he bought em; as soon as I looked at the actual ingredients list "Butterfat" and "Milk powder" jumped out at me. Now, why the hell would the milk powder not be listed with that other common allergen list?

I don't know what the rules are for food labelling but in my experience if any of the common allergens are clearly identified in the ingredients list the "common allergens" may not list them, so you have to read both.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

People who point out your veganism/vegetarianism to others.
I have a few friends who do this when introducing me to people: "This is Isabella. She's VEGAN you know!" like that's all I have to offer.
It's just so tiring. I never tell people that I'm veg when I first meet them, because some people think it's an invitation to debate animal rights and environmental issues. It comes naturally at some point, so I don't see the reason to make it all of my identity, when I'm so much more than that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:28 pm 
Dead by dawn

vijita wrote:
I know people are just trying to help, but I am so tired of dining companions scouring the menu immediately as though it is their job to find what I can eat because I'm obviously incapable of navigating a menu for vegan-ness, you know, being the vegan and all.

Isabella Lugosi wrote:
I have a few friends who do this when introducing me to people: "This is Isabella. She's VEGAN you know!" like that's all I have to offer.

Bonus when these are the same people! 'Cause nothing's more fun than sitting down in a restaurant with someone whose first words to the server are, "SHE'SVEGANISTHEREANYTHINGONTHEMENUSHECANEAT?!" (Thinking of a former coworker... ugh.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

monkeytoes wrote:

Isabella Lugosi wrote:

Bonus when these are the same people! 'Cause nothing's more fun than sitting down in a restaurant with someone whose first words to the server are, "SHE'SVEGANISTHEREANYTHINGONTHEMENUSHECANEAT?!" (Thinking of a former coworker... ugh.)

OMG YES. It's awful! I get that it's usually coming from a kind place and they are trying to be helpful, but it makes things so awkward! Just let me read the menu in peace!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:01 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

vijita wrote:
I know people are just trying to help, but I am so tired of dining companions scouring the menu immediately as though it is their job to find what I can eat because I'm obviously incapable of navigating a menu for vegan-ness, you know, being the vegan and all.

I hate this so much. It happens less now, but when I used to go out to dinner with my parents or my husband's parents they were the worst about it! I think they just feel bad about dragging us to a place without many vegan options. But really, I've been doing this for a long time and I am kind of a pro.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:07 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Well, since most apple juices and wines aren't vegan, wouldn't it be logical that the vinegar made out of them wouldn't be vegan either?

Apple juice and wine not vegan?

Helen Keller

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

monkeytoes wrote:

Ha! My boyfriend sort of does this, except it'll be after I order (having already specified no this, no that) and he'll butt in and say, 'Seriously. No dairy. She's allergic and will DIE.' (I'm not allergic.)

Duuuuuude!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My co-worker just came into my office, sat down, and very seriously and asked me how I would get my B-12 in the event of an apocalypse.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:31 pm 
Grandfathered In

I'm getting mine on that one desert island.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

B12 is in dirt! what kind of apocalypse doesn't have dirt?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:51 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

ashley wrote:
My co-worker just came into my office, sat down, and very seriously and asked me how I would get my B-12 in the event of an apocalypse.

Tell him you believe in pre-tribulation rapture. Smugly.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

postnothing wrote:
B12 is in dirt! what kind of apocalypse doesn't have dirt?

The dumbpants hypothetical kind.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:15 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Maggie Muggins wrote:

What the actual fork. That is so rude of him to say that.

I am usually pretty casual about being vegan, and make jokes when people act weird or rude about it.

But that crosses the line for me. I would tell him I don't wanna go to his STUPID PARTY ANYWAYS. Or something more clever. but probably not.

Ugh, that really struck a nerve with me for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:06 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm sorry but in the case of an apocalypse, I'm eating whatever I can find and that includes humans. I think I would've told the co-worker that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

linanil wrote:
I'm sorry but in the case of an apocalypse, I'm eating whatever I can find and that includes humans. I think I would've told the co-worker that.

I basically said that to him, and he took that as a victory and walked away with a fist-pump. WOOHOO?

Joke's on you, crasshole - I'm eating you first.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:21 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Bumpelstiltskin wrote:
That god damn delicious deceit! How dare you trick me into acknowledging that vegan food is palatable, or worse yet that i could like it!?

I suppose when i think about it i have a third. CONSTANTLY getting the weirdest looks and the question "How can you live in Wisconsin and not love cheese!? whats wrong with you!?" I didn't even eat dairy products (except cheese on pizza and when made in baked goods) before i started eating vegan, so that one kind of doubly peas me off. It's like being told it's unamerican to not be a football fan when people ask me if i watched the last Green Bay Packer game and i tell them i haven't watched a sports event in like 20 years. People look at you like you're a forking alien or something.

Fellow Wisconsinite here! I feel your pain about the cheese questions, and the Packers, I haven't watched a game since childhood, when my family forced me to. Sometimes this state feels like a cult.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:23 pm 

Chicki wrote:
Maggie Muggins wrote:

What the actual fork. That is so rude of him to say that.

I am usually pretty casual about being vegan, and make jokes when people act weird or rude about it.

But that crosses the line for me. I would tell him I don't wanna go to his STUPID PARTY ANYWAYS. Or something more clever. but probably not.

Ugh, that really struck a nerve with me for some reason.

It completely threw me off because he's normally a really awesome boss, I didn't know what to say, so just responded with a dumbfounded "ahhhh..." and then he cut me off. He probably thought he was being funny or something stupid like that. But why would you even ask if you're going to steamroll over my ideas and pick whatever forking restaurant you want to go to in the first place. Grumble..

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

TexTroosers wrote:
Sometimes this state feels like a cult.

I couldn't agree more. A very unfriendly place to be vegan for the most part. Except for madison, where I used to live. Trying to move back. Where in WI you at?

Reply to topic  [ 10602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357 ... 425  Next