| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361 ... 481  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:43 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I'd be really grateful if someone brought hummus to something like that!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:14 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Me too! I feel like even if i wasn't veg, i would welcome a tasty topping such as hummus. Hummus is so universal. I don't think i have ever met anyone who did not like hummus.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:50 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

UGH. So I'm about to head out to a long-delayed, difficult-to-arrange get together with some former female colleagues. The person who had her shiitake together enough to actually hammer out then arrangements settled on a place that's convenient for all concerned, has a cozy atmosphere, excellent drinks, and an enormous beer selection. The only problem is that then owners are pretentious douches, and I sort of hate giving them my money. For one thing, look at the food menu (NB we are meeting for drinks, so dinner per se was not part of the equation when my friend set all this up):

http://armsbyabbey.com/food/

I mean, seriously - it's like a parody. "Pig Skin Carbonara"? "Spicy Beef Heart Meatballs"? To make things worse, several years ago I sent them a very nice email saying how much we enjoyed going there for drinks, etc., and how much we (and other vegans in the area) would appreciate it if there were one or two things on the menu we could eat, so that when we inevitably get hungry, we could just stay put instead of moving on to somewhere else. I've sent similar messages to multiple places and received very cordial replies, either pointing out things on the existing menu that could be made vegan, or saying that they'd be happy to whip something up to accommodate us next time we were in.

But from these guys? Nothing. No response whatsoever. So obviously we've not darkened their door since, and I'm just feeling a bit bent about going there tonight. Again - the person who set this up had no way of knowing any of this, and since it was a place and time that worked for several people's complicated schedules I wasn't going to be all, "But NO! The owners are douches!" So I'll go and not say anything, obviously, but I'm just feeling a bit disgruntled. GRRRR.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:58 pm 
Nooch of Earl

It's possible that they're just really bad at email and don't mean for you to starve. I mean, there's hummus on the menu! (I know, in 2013 that is not unusual or hugely impressive, but at least it's food? I've settled for worse when out with friends...)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:08 pm 
Grandfathered In

"Crisped cuts of pastured Adams Farm Heritage Pork Belly slow cooked in Duck Fat" is pretentious?!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:14 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

"Smoked maple air". LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:39 pm 
Dead by dawn

Ah, yes, the dreaded Pretentious as All fork Gastropub. I swear, biker boy and I have accidentally wandered into (and usually, right out of) every one Seattle has to offer. The presence of a hummus plate lands this place a couple rungs above most of them. And a whole ladder above the place where we ordered a plate of olives (about the only thing on the menu not prepared with duck fat) only to have them arrive drenched in melted butter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

monkeytoes wrote:
And a whole ladder above the place where we ordered a plate of olives (about the only thing on the menu not prepared with duck fat) only to have them arrive drenched in melted butter.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

"Sheep. Semi-hard. Sweet. Nutty. Barnyard funk."

Oh yum.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:01 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Ugh, that's worded very...um..."Natural Harvest for Sheep".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:27 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

annak wrote:
Holiday product disappointment! I bought the new holiday Earth Balance Pops, but I think they're nowhere near as good as the regular kind.

This makes me want to try the regular kind. I really like the holiday ones, but I've never seen the regular kind in my local store.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:00 pm 
Chard Martyr

Pops? Like a soft drink?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:17 am 
Naked Under Apron

What the hell are Pork Skin noodles? Spaghetti made of bacon or something? Really?

Mat.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:54 am 
Flounceiad 2011

matwinser wrote:
What the hell are Pork Skin noodles? Spaghetti made of bacon or something? Really?

Mat.
Lard only knows (this filter is so apropos here!). I had two Manhattans, hummus, and some olives and avoided looking at the specials board because…let's just not go there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Desdemona wrote:
matwinser wrote:

Mat.
Lard only knows (this filter is so apropos here!). I had two Manhattans, hummus, and some olives and avoided looking at the specials board because…let's just not go there.

I'm glad you survived! I just looked and saw they even screwed up the pickle plate. Pickles! And I want to know who looks at the Bone Marrow plate and says "mmmm, I've been craving marrow all day. This'll hit the spot - I'll have that! And maybe one to go!"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

"Yogurt espuma" sounds like some kind of medical condition.

We had our work night out last night. Even though we told them we needed a vegan meal when we booked the place, and the organiser emailed them about the vegan meal, and I spoke to them 2 days before about the vegan meal, and I told the waitress when we ordered that I needed the vegan meal, they still had to track down our booking to confirm that we needed a vegan meal. So everyone else was finished with their starters when they brought out my salad. The only thing I got wrong when I guessed at its contents was that I got rocket instead of iceberg lettuce. The couscous-stuffed red pepper was even worse than I imagined it - it barely had any salt, let alone actual seasoning, and the only "side" was a small pile of rocket (again with the rocket). When they brought out my dessert (well after everyone else had been served), it was a comically large wine glass full of cut fruit swimming in juice. It was at that point that I brought out my sandwich, which was delicious. But it turned out that a lot of other people complained about the food and service (it was so slow that we finished more than an hour after we were meant to have left), so they gave us free booze!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:07 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

rachell37 wrote:
"Yogurt espuma" sounds like some kind of medical condition.
Right? Not even googling that.
rachell37 wrote:
We had our work night out last night. Even though we told them we needed a vegan meal when we booked the place, and the organiser emailed them about the vegan meal, and I spoke to them 2 days before about the vegan meal, and I told the waitress when we ordered that I needed the vegan meal, they still had to track down our booking to confirm that we needed a vegan meal. So everyone else was finished with their starters when they brought out my salad. The only thing I got wrong when I guessed at its contents was that I got rocket instead of iceberg lettuce. The couscous-stuffed red pepper was even worse than I imagined it - it barely had any salt, let alone actual seasoning, and the only "side" was a small pile of rocket (again with the rocket). When they brought out my dessert (well after everyone else had been served), it was a comically large wine glass full of cut fruit swimming in juice. It was at that point that I brought out my sandwich, which was delicious. But it turned out that a lot of other people complained about the food and service (it was so slow that we finished more than an hour after we were meant to have left), so they gave us free booze!
I had exactly the same "dessert" at a wedding last summer - oooh, fruit in a ginormous wine glass!!!
Boo for the meal fail, but yay for free booze?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:53 pm 
Semen Strong

I wonder if anyone ever responds to hearing that a friend is Jewish by saying "Oh I could never be Jewish because BACON!!!!"

It would seem weirdly disrespectful, right? Like someone's spiritual beliefs are less important than a gustatory porcine pleasure.

So why is it that so many people think that ERMAHGERD BACON is an appropriate response on hearing that someone is vegan?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:04 pm 
Semen Strong

Also, this article from Time about Jay-Z and Beyonce and why the author couldn't be vegan.

Quote:
If I Were a Boy: …this would be twice as hard. Though my husband was on hand for my Whole Foods trip, he only had to witness and not partake in being “that girl” who kept asking if something was vegan because a label was unclear.

So kudos to all the male vegans out there, I guess. For being comfortable enough to ask a question and get information to make a choice.

For more idiocy: http://greatideas.people.com/2013/12/13 ... challenge/

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:05 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
I wonder if anyone ever responds to hearing that a friend is Jewish by saying "Oh I could never be Jewish because BACON!!!!"
BWAH! I am so doing that.
Tofulish wrote:
It would seem weirdly disrespectful, right? Like someone's spiritual beliefs are less important than a gustatory porcine pleasure.
I guess. But BACON, though!
Tofulish wrote:
So why is it that so many people think that ERMAHGERD BACON is an appropriate response on hearing that someone is vegan?
Because BACON, amirite?!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

People who keep strict Kosher but live outside of large Orthodox communities have similar issues if not more than a vegan does when it comes to eating out. They also do not get anything close to respect from other people simply because it is part of their faith.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:31 pm 

Tofulish wrote:

I get what you're trying to say, but it's not really the same dynamic. People don't generally perceive Jews as trying to convince non-Jews to become Jews, whereas people generally perceive vegans as trying to convince non-vegans to become vegan. So people aren't likely to say "I could never be Jewish..." because nobody thinks Jews are trying to make them be Jewish. But people will still do stuff like sneaking bacon into Jews' food and then being like "haha, you didn't know it was bacon!". And throughout history, Kosher laws have been used against Jews as a means of torture (forcing parents to eat non-Kosher food in front of their children, forcing people to slaughter pigs inside their own temples) and as a way to find Jews that were "passing" as non-Jews for safety. So...yeah, people have been disrespecting Jewish dietary customs for a loooooong time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:50 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you for the contextual information CQ! That is really, really awful.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:00 am 

I love my dad. He is pretty much the best ever(tm). But whenever he comes to visit, he ends up leaving cheese. At least it's only a few slices of American cheese and not the five pounds he left last December, but still. Just take it with you. I'll give you a cooler and ice. (He probably just forgot, but still. I'm peeved, so I'm posting.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:25 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Tofulish wrote:
Also, this article from Time about Jay-Z and Beyonce and why the author couldn't be vegan.

Quote:
If I Were a Boy: …this would be twice as hard. Though my husband was on hand for my Whole Foods trip, he only had to witness and not partake in being “that girl” who kept asking if something was vegan because a label was unclear.

So kudos to all the male vegans out there, I guess. For being comfortable enough to ask a question and get information to make a choice.

For more idiocy: http://greatideas.people.com/2013/12/13 ... challenge/

I really do hate being that person who asks a zillion questions because i dislike talking to people. The funny thing is that i usually will get my boyfriend to do it! He doesn't mind, and he's more assertive than me so he will ask the pizza guy to confirm that they won't put cheese on it. I do the Taco Bell ordering though, because i have that shitake down.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361 ... 481  Next