| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11950 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 478  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ndpittman wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't feel it necessary to announce to various servers that I'm vegan. I went home for a week, and whenever I'd try to ask questions about something, my mom or dad had to announce, "She's a vegan!" I think they're proud or amazed or something. I don't know. My issue is that not everyone knows what that means, so don't interrupt me when I'm asking about egg/dairy/fish stock.

I hate when they do that too. My parents do the same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:41 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Steph wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Hi All!!! So, I keep saying I'll roast a chicken and the time has come :) I want a chance for my favorite people to meet and eat at my table. Please let me know if Saturday doesn't work for you. I can try and find another day to have this dinner. Feel free to bring a guest; just send me a quick text so I can make more dishes. The menu: roast chicken, butternut squash, cheesy potatoes, salad, mac and cheese.

But... but... there will be SALAD for you!
BY GUM, YOU'RE RIGHT! (How much do you want to bet it will have bacon, creamy dressing, and/or cheese - because who ever heard of a salad made of vegetables, right?!)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:52 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

sorreh, double post

Last edited by torque on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:52 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Desdemona wrote:
The menu: roast chicken, butternut squash with cheese, cheesy potatoes, salad with grated cheese, mac and cheese.[/i]

BARF BARF BARF BARF

NB: there is a Giada joke in here somewhere, i'm sure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:00 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Desdemona wrote:
Steph wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Hi All!!! So, I keep saying I'll roast a chicken and the time has come :) I want a chance for my favorite people to meet and eat at my table. Please let me know if Saturday doesn't work for you. I can try and find another day to have this dinner. Feel free to bring a guest; just send me a quick text so I can make more dishes. The menu: roast chicken, butternut squash, cheesy potatoes, salad, mac and cheese.

But... but... there will be SALAD for you!
BY GUM, YOU'RE RIGHT! (How much do you want to bet it will have bacon, creamy dressing, and/or cheese - because who ever heard of a salad made of vegetables, right?!)

I vote either potato, macaroni, or jello variety.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

starrynight87 wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
i think this is a pet peeve, or maybe just a source of confusion...why does Amy's need to have 5 different types of mac n cheese
vegan, dairy, dairy wt gf pasta, non-dairy, non dairy with gf pasta. why? why? and then why not make a vegan with regular pasta? Amy's stuff is in so many regular chain grocery stores, but most of them are not going to stock 5 different types and the vegan one is probably last on their list.

And then there are all the times I accidentally grab the wrong one because I saw the words "gluten free" on the box, forgetting that they make a dairy one too.

I noticed when I was shopping yesterday that they added a new label on the front that says "vegan- with daiya cheese." At least I think it's a new label. Regardless, it was very helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mrsbadmouth wrote:
And that is probably the biggest factor in why I don't discuss me being vegan with most people. I have to know that you're not absolutely crazy first.

That is always a plus.

My new peeve was that the Paleo cookbooks are now mixed in with the vegetarian cookbooks at Barnes and Noble. Really?
starrynight87 wrote:

starrynight87 wrote:
I noticed when I was shopping yesterday that they added a new label on the front that says "vegan- with daiya cheese." At least I think it's a new label. Regardless, it was very helpful.

I do think it's new. I got some last week and noticed this when trying to figure out which of the five was actually for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:59 am 
Naked Under Apron

bekki wrote:
My new peeve was that the Paleo cookbooks are now mixed in with the vegetarian cookbooks at Barnes and Noble. Really?

I noticed this too! But at mine there were only a couple, so I thought it was either a mistake or someone thought it was funny, so I moved them. Don't sully the vegan section, jerks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:04 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

bekki wrote:
starrynight87 wrote:

Amazon does this, too, on their bestseller lists. Drives me crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

starrynight87 wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't feel it necessary to announce to various servers that I'm vegan. I went home for a week, and whenever I'd try to ask questions about something, my mom or dad had to announce, "She's a vegan!" I think they're proud or amazed or something. I don't know. My issue is that not everyone knows what that means, so don't interrupt me when I'm asking about egg/dairy/fish stock.

I hate when they do that too. My parents do the same thing.

Ha! My father is in that club, too. I think we should just accept that our omnivore parents are much better at vegan dining than we are.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:25 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I was telling my sister that I was feeling really depressed and anxious lately and she offered, "Eat more protein". Yesterday someone else told me the same forking thing. I get plenty of protein, dammit, and that is shitty advice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:28 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

GymClassZero wrote:
I was telling my sister that I was feeling really depressed and anxious lately and she offered, "Eat more protein". Yesterday someone else told me the same forking thing. I get plenty of protein, dammit, and that is shitty advice.

I don't even understand how that could make sense in anyone's brain.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:11 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Limone wrote:
GymClassZero wrote:

Marketing by the cattle industry has convinced everyone from birth that protein is essential to all things and that it is only found in flesh.

Same way that the dairy industry convinced everyone that the only place that humans get calcium is from milk...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:18 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Limone wrote:
GymClassZero wrote:

Because protein is always the right answer to any ill. I thought you knew.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:22 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

mollyjade wrote:
bekki wrote:
starrynight87 wrote:

Amazon does this, too, on their bestseller lists. Drives me crazy.

I saw this too when looking at the Forks Over Knives cookbook, right next to Paleo Pud Robb Wolff. And Amazon? They have Dr. McDougall's new book, The STARCH Solution on the low carb best seller list. Folks, starch means carbohydrate. When they put Anthony Bourdain in the veg section, I quit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:13 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

My dad often says "I know you don't want to hear this" then goes on about his dead animal meal in detail...Why tell me?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:45 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

vegpedlr wrote:
I saw this too when looking at the Forks Over Knives cookbook, right next to Paleo Pud Robb Wolff. And Amazon? They have Dr. McDougall's new book, The STARCH Solution on the low carb best seller list. Folks, starch means carbohydrate. When they put Anthony Bourdain in the veg section, I quit.
Amazon also have "vegan" books with milk in in the Kindle store, so they clearly don't really check anything. Which is understandable, given their size, I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:11 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

missmuffcake wrote:
My dad often says "I know you don't want to hear this" then goes on about his dead animal meal in detail...Why tell me?

Similarly when people are telling you about a meal and they say, "....and I had - SORRY! - steak. It was - SORRY! - so good." Who are you apologizing to? And if you think you need to apologize, why tell me about your steak at all?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

paprikapapaya wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

Similarly when people are telling you about a meal and they say, "....and I had - SORRY! - steak. It was - SORRY! - so good." Who are you apologizing to? And if you think you need to apologize, why tell me about your steak at all?

Because it was so GOOD it must be spoken of, and "sorry" makes everything better.

Really, though, it is bizarre to acknowledge the person you're talking to has no interest in what you're saying and then continue on with it in great detail. Kinda makes me want to counter with "I know you don't want to hear about the crepe I took this morning, but...." (obviously you're not talking to the PPK if you begin a sentence that way)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:46 am 

Oh, have we had this one yet? When someone tells you how they tricked another vegan into eating something non-vegan. One of my colleagues told me how she put butter into something she made for her son, and he ate it all up and enjoyed it! I don't know what she expected me to say to that.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:00 am 
Flounceiad 2011

dropscone wrote:
Oh, have we had this one yet? When someone tells you how they tricked another vegan into eating something non-vegan. One of my colleagues told me how she put butter into something she made for her son, and he ate it all up and enjoyed it! I don't know what she expected me to say to that.
"Wow, that is so awesome that your son can't trust you at all! You must feel pretty good about yourself right now."

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:05 am 

Desdemona wrote:
dropscone wrote:
"Wow, that is so awesome that your son can't trust you at all! You must feel pretty good about yourself right now."
"Really? Because I like to put my penis in things people expect not to have had my penis in and then bring them into work."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:09 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

bekki wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

Because it was so GOOD it must be spoken of, and "sorry" makes everything better.

Really, though, it is bizarre to acknowledge the person you're talking to has no interest in what you're saying and then continue on with it in great detail. Kinda makes me want to counter with "I know you don't want to hear about the crepe I took this morning, but...." (obviously you're not talking to the PPK if you begin a sentence that way)

Brian and I do this all the time, he tells me about video games and I leap out of my chair and reenact cliffhangers from whatever tv show i'm watching.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:22 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Desdemona wrote:
dropscone wrote:

QFT. How does anyone ever think this is okay, let alone something to brag about?!

New/old pet peeve: I didn't have time to pack a lunch for school yesterday, so I ended up hitting the salad bar. The good news: they had chickpeas and edamame for vegan protein, and you actually get a pretty decently-sized salad for five bucks. The bad: my salad was less "ingredients that I wanted" than "ingredients that were furthest away from the cheese," since the employees just kind of let it sprinkle over into the adjacent vegetable compartments. Gross.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:52 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

i just wish everyone would eat what they wanted and that's it; it's really not that complicated. of course, being vegan is a huge part of who i am, but unless we're having a conversation specifically on the hows and whys, what i eat is simply what i like to eat and what makes me feel good and has nothing to do with anyone else.

and mixed salad bars are so gross; ingredients always get strewn everywhere. and cheese on a basic salad? even as an omnivore, i don't think i enjoyed that. it's so irritating.

or when you're reading an ingredients list and everything looks great except right at the bottom, squished between some other stuff, is 'honey' (i'm thinking certain kashi granola bars).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11950 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 478  Next