| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11950 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 478  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:28 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 4051
Location: Malvern, PA
ndpittman wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't feel it necessary to announce to various servers that I'm vegan. I went home for a week, and whenever I'd try to ask questions about something, my mom or dad had to announce, "She's a vegan!" I think they're proud or amazed or something. I don't know. My issue is that not everyone knows what that means, so don't interrupt me when I'm asking about egg/dairy/fish stock.

I hate when they do that too. My parents do the same thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:41 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5251
Location: A New England
Steph wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Hi All!!! So, I keep saying I'll roast a chicken and the time has come :) I want a chance for my favorite people to meet and eat at my table. Please let me know if Saturday doesn't work for you. I can try and find another day to have this dinner. Feel free to bring a guest; just send me a quick text so I can make more dishes. The menu: roast chicken, butternut squash, cheesy potatoes, salad, mac and cheese.


But... but... there will be SALAD for you!
BY GUM, YOU'RE RIGHT! (How much do you want to bet it will have bacon, creamy dressing, and/or cheese - because who ever heard of a salad made of vegetables, right?!)

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:52 pm 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 7687
Location: Brasil
sorreh, double post

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Last edited by torque on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:52 pm 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 7687
Location: Brasil
Desdemona wrote:
The menu: roast chicken, butternut squash with cheese, cheesy potatoes, salad with grated cheese, mac and cheese.[/i]

BARF BARF BARF BARF

NB: there is a Giada joke in here somewhere, i'm sure.

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:00 pm 
Online
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 10208
Location: Illinoize
Desdemona wrote:
Steph wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Hi All!!! So, I keep saying I'll roast a chicken and the time has come :) I want a chance for my favorite people to meet and eat at my table. Please let me know if Saturday doesn't work for you. I can try and find another day to have this dinner. Feel free to bring a guest; just send me a quick text so I can make more dishes. The menu: roast chicken, butternut squash, cheesy potatoes, salad, mac and cheese.


But... but... there will be SALAD for you!
BY GUM, YOU'RE RIGHT! (How much do you want to bet it will have bacon, creamy dressing, and/or cheese - because who ever heard of a salad made of vegetables, right?!)


I vote either potato, macaroni, or jello variety.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:32 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 4051
Location: Malvern, PA
starrynight87 wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
i think this is a pet peeve, or maybe just a source of confusion...why does Amy's need to have 5 different types of mac n cheese
vegan, dairy, dairy wt gf pasta, non-dairy, non dairy with gf pasta. why? why? and then why not make a vegan with regular pasta? Amy's stuff is in so many regular chain grocery stores, but most of them are not going to stock 5 different types and the vegan one is probably last on their list.

And then there are all the times I accidentally grab the wrong one because I saw the words "gluten free" on the box, forgetting that they make a dairy one too.

I noticed when I was shopping yesterday that they added a new label on the front that says "vegan- with daiya cheese." At least I think it's a new label. Regardless, it was very helpful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:14 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: NC
mrsbadmouth wrote:
And that is probably the biggest factor in why I don't discuss me being vegan with most people. I have to know that you're not absolutely crazy first.


That is always a plus.

My new peeve was that the Paleo cookbooks are now mixed in with the vegetarian cookbooks at Barnes and Noble. Really?
starrynight87 wrote:

starrynight87 wrote:
I noticed when I was shopping yesterday that they added a new label on the front that says "vegan- with daiya cheese." At least I think it's a new label. Regardless, it was very helpful.


I do think it's new. I got some last week and noticed this when trying to figure out which of the five was actually for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:59 am 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 1689
Location: MA
bekki wrote:
My new peeve was that the Paleo cookbooks are now mixed in with the vegetarian cookbooks at Barnes and Noble. Really?

I noticed this too! But at mine there were only a couple, so I thought it was either a mistake or someone thought it was funny, so I moved them. Don't sully the vegan section, jerks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:04 pm 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3935
Location: Austin
bekki wrote:
My new peeve was that the Paleo cookbooks are now mixed in with the vegetarian cookbooks at Barnes and Noble. Really?
starrynight87 wrote:

Amazon does this, too, on their bestseller lists. Drives me crazy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:39 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:01 am
Posts: 3382
Location: Chandler, AZ
starrynight87 wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't feel it necessary to announce to various servers that I'm vegan. I went home for a week, and whenever I'd try to ask questions about something, my mom or dad had to announce, "She's a vegan!" I think they're proud or amazed or something. I don't know. My issue is that not everyone knows what that means, so don't interrupt me when I'm asking about egg/dairy/fish stock.

I hate when they do that too. My parents do the same thing.

Ha! My father is in that club, too. I think we should just accept that our omnivore parents are much better at vegan dining than we are.

_________________
Half the lies I tell are not true.
"luckily us vegans dont go into cardiac arrest...but we do go into food comas" - Adam Crisis


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:25 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:37 pm
Posts: 1084
Location: Western Mass
I was telling my sister that I was feeling really depressed and anxious lately and she offered, "Eat more protein". Yesterday someone else told me the same forking thing. I get plenty of protein, dammit, and that is shitty advice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:28 pm 
Offline
Brain Made of Raw Seitan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Posts: 1212
Location: Under a bridge
GymClassZero wrote:
I was telling my sister that I was feeling really depressed and anxious lately and she offered, "Eat more protein". Yesterday someone else told me the same forking thing. I get plenty of protein, dammit, and that is shitty advice.

I don't even understand how that could make sense in anyone's brain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:11 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:57 am
Posts: 115
Location: Kessel, Outer rim
Limone wrote:
GymClassZero wrote:
I was telling my sister that I was feeling really depressed and anxious lately and she offered, "Eat more protein". Yesterday someone else told me the same forking thing. I get plenty of protein, dammit, and that is shitty advice.

I don't even understand how that could make sense in anyone's brain.


Marketing by the cattle industry has convinced everyone from birth that protein is essential to all things and that it is only found in flesh.

Same way that the dairy industry convinced everyone that the only place that humans get calcium is from milk...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:18 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup Forever
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:33 pm
Posts: 15
Location: Silicon Valley
Limone wrote:
GymClassZero wrote:
I was telling my sister that I was feeling really depressed and anxious lately and she offered, "Eat more protein". Yesterday someone else told me the same forking thing. I get plenty of protein, dammit, and that is shitty advice.

I don't even understand how that could make sense in anyone's brain.


Because protein is always the right answer to any ill. I thought you knew.

_________________
I actually like racing at the back of the pack.
Come heckle me at:
vegpedlr.net


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:22 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup Forever
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:33 pm
Posts: 15
Location: Silicon Valley
mollyjade wrote:
bekki wrote:
My new peeve was that the Paleo cookbooks are now mixed in with the vegetarian cookbooks at Barnes and Noble. Really?
starrynight87 wrote:

Amazon does this, too, on their bestseller lists. Drives me crazy.


I saw this too when looking at the Forks Over Knives cookbook, right next to Paleo Pud Robb Wolff. And Amazon? They have Dr. McDougall's new book, The STARCH Solution on the low carb best seller list. Folks, starch means carbohydrate. When they put Anthony Bourdain in the veg section, I quit.

_________________
I actually like racing at the back of the pack.
Come heckle me at:
vegpedlr.net


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:13 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 6522
Location: Modesto, CA
My dad often says "I know you don't want to hear this" then goes on about his dead animal meal in detail...Why tell me?

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:45 am 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2238
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
vegpedlr wrote:
I saw this too when looking at the Forks Over Knives cookbook, right next to Paleo Pud Robb Wolff. And Amazon? They have Dr. McDougall's new book, The STARCH Solution on the low carb best seller list. Folks, starch means carbohydrate. When they put Anthony Bourdain in the veg section, I quit.
Amazon also have "vegan" books with milk in in the Kindle store, so they clearly don't really check anything. Which is understandable, given their size, I suppose.

_________________
dropscone - "Ack, I'm no help, I just like to imagine as many people as possible eating roast potatoes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:11 am 
Offline
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 6045
Location: Land of Maple and Beavers
missmuffcake wrote:
My dad often says "I know you don't want to hear this" then goes on about his dead animal meal in detail...Why tell me?


Similarly when people are telling you about a meal and they say, "....and I had - SORRY! - steak. It was - SORRY! - so good." Who are you apologizing to? And if you think you need to apologize, why tell me about your steak at all?

_________________
Did you notice the slight feeling of panic at the words "Chicken Basin Street"? Like someone was walking over your grave? Try not to remember. We must never remember. - mumbles
Is this about devilberries and nazifruit again? - footface


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:33 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: NC
paprikapapaya wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
My dad often says "I know you don't want to hear this" then goes on about his dead animal meal in detail...Why tell me?


Similarly when people are telling you about a meal and they say, "....and I had - SORRY! - steak. It was - SORRY! - so good." Who are you apologizing to? And if you think you need to apologize, why tell me about your steak at all?


Because it was so GOOD it must be spoken of, and "sorry" makes everything better.

Really, though, it is bizarre to acknowledge the person you're talking to has no interest in what you're saying and then continue on with it in great detail. Kinda makes me want to counter with "I know you don't want to hear about the crepe I took this morning, but...." (obviously you're not talking to the PPK if you begin a sentence that way)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:46 am 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:10 pm
Posts: 2395
Location: Midlands, UK
Oh, have we had this one yet? When someone tells you how they tricked another vegan into eating something non-vegan. One of my colleagues told me how she put butter into something she made for her son, and he ate it all up and enjoyed it! I don't know what she expected me to say to that.

_________________
"The lack of obstacles between me and cake is one of the best things about being a grownup for sure." - coldandsleepy

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:00 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5251
Location: A New England
dropscone wrote:
Oh, have we had this one yet? When someone tells you how they tricked another vegan into eating something non-vegan. One of my colleagues told me how she put butter into something she made for her son, and he ate it all up and enjoyed it! I don't know what she expected me to say to that.
"Wow, that is so awesome that your son can't trust you at all! You must feel pretty good about yourself right now."

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:05 am 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2238
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
Desdemona wrote:
dropscone wrote:
Oh, have we had this one yet? When someone tells you how they tricked another vegan into eating something non-vegan. One of my colleagues told me how she put butter into something she made for her son, and he ate it all up and enjoyed it! I don't know what she expected me to say to that.
"Wow, that is so awesome that your son can't trust you at all! You must feel pretty good about yourself right now."
"Really? Because I like to put my penis in things people expect not to have had my penis in and then bring them into work."

_________________
dropscone - "Ack, I'm no help, I just like to imagine as many people as possible eating roast potatoes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:09 am 
Online
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 10208
Location: Illinoize
bekki wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
My dad often says "I know you don't want to hear this" then goes on about his dead animal meal in detail...Why tell me?


Similarly when people are telling you about a meal and they say, "....and I had - SORRY! - steak. It was - SORRY! - so good." Who are you apologizing to? And if you think you need to apologize, why tell me about your steak at all?


Because it was so GOOD it must be spoken of, and "sorry" makes everything better.

Really, though, it is bizarre to acknowledge the person you're talking to has no interest in what you're saying and then continue on with it in great detail. Kinda makes me want to counter with "I know you don't want to hear about the crepe I took this morning, but...." (obviously you're not talking to the PPK if you begin a sentence that way)



Brian and I do this all the time, he tells me about video games and I leap out of my chair and reenact cliffhangers from whatever tv show i'm watching.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:22 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
Desdemona wrote:
dropscone wrote:
Oh, have we had this one yet? When someone tells you how they tricked another vegan into eating something non-vegan. One of my colleagues told me how she put butter into something she made for her son, and he ate it all up and enjoyed it! I don't know what she expected me to say to that.
"Wow, that is so awesome that your son can't trust you at all! You must feel pretty good about yourself right now."

QFT. How does anyone ever think this is okay, let alone something to brag about?!

New/old pet peeve: I didn't have time to pack a lunch for school yesterday, so I ended up hitting the salad bar. The good news: they had chickpeas and edamame for vegan protein, and you actually get a pretty decently-sized salad for five bucks. The bad: my salad was less "ingredients that I wanted" than "ingredients that were furthest away from the cheese," since the employees just kind of let it sprinkle over into the adjacent vegetable compartments. Gross.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:52 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:56 pm
Posts: 695
Location: ontario
i just wish everyone would eat what they wanted and that's it; it's really not that complicated. of course, being vegan is a huge part of who i am, but unless we're having a conversation specifically on the hows and whys, what i eat is simply what i like to eat and what makes me feel good and has nothing to do with anyone else.

and mixed salad bars are so gross; ingredients always get strewn everywhere. and cheese on a basic salad? even as an omnivore, i don't think i enjoyed that. it's so irritating.

or when you're reading an ingredients list and everything looks great except right at the bottom, squished between some other stuff, is 'honey' (i'm thinking certain kashi granola bars).

_________________
everything stays the same, only more so.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11950 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 478  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fruitbat, Google [Bot], Invictus, mrsbadmouth and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer