| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365 ... 481  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:32 pm 
WRETCHED

jordanpattern wrote:
The thing that always kills me is that podcasting DOESN'T REALLY COST ANYTHING. I mean, we had a $50 mic, and then Erika's amazingness dealing with editing and stuff, and other than the cost of the booze we consumed during the show, it was free. We did solicit donations one time to pay for a person's entry to Vida Vegan Con.

In conclusion, I miss Erika. I also wonder what the awful Red Vegan Radio person is up to with the $3k she raised to buy a new laptop to do a podcast on.

I'm assuming the donations are for the persons time to do the podcast.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I was totally a sponsor of CPG's podcast in the beginning. She would ask for donations once in the entire show (like, "you can support the podcast through our website" or some such at the end of each one, and that was it). This was before she had any books out or anything else. And I think it was totally a valid ask - podcasting costs you TIME, and if you can make it work while holding down a job that otherwise pays your bills, good for you, but if you can't (or really just don't want to), then I'm totally cool with that, and it's not a totally reasonable expectation that people would be able to podcast for years on end without it taking away from real work hours. At this point she probably doesn't need donations for the podcast per se, she's got other streams of revenue going. Her podcasts then (I don't know about now, haven't listened in a few years), were actually quite good and well researched, I don't begrudge the ask at all. Most of the podcasts I listen to are done by professionals who get paid to make their podcasts (among other things). It's no less a reasonable line of work than any other kind of journalism. I don't listen to much else because once you get into podcasts that are hobby projects the quality varies so much and I don't have time to sift through all of that to find the stuff I'll like. I think for whatever faults she has, that CPG is a really good face for veganism, and I'm glad she's succeeding in making a career out of vegangelism.

P.S. Many of the podcasts I listen to are NPR listener-supported and they spend like 4 weeks out of the year hocking me over and over for donations. That's just how listener supported stuff works.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I agree so much that it is valid to shoot for being able to compensate yourself for your time and experience - not just the time researching and recording the show, but if she, or someone else, is spending time editing the podcast, promoting it, networking to find new interviewees, etc. I don't know that I've ever heard this show, so I don't know if I would personally find it worth supporting but as someone who works in a creative field, I am tired of people thinking that my time and my expertise that I have developed over the course of years of full-time work and school and apprenticeships and whatnot are not as valuable as the time and expertise of people in other careers. (This has become an especially big pet peeve of mine now that I create quotes and do more account management stuff along with design and fabrication work these days, since I get to see just how many people expect that our company can custom-make something for them that will be cheaper than some thing they found on Amazon.)

Also, I think it can be really uncomfortable for a lot of people to recognize the value of their time, and to become comfortable asking for it to be compensated- especially in creative areas- so I totally give props to anyone who has the guts to try to turn their passions into viable means of self-employment.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Maggie Muggins wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:
I have celeb vegan gossip but I met them through work and it would be super unprofessional to gossip...and its killing me.

Does it have anything to do with Pam Anderson? I just know she was in Nfld recently because of the seal industry.
Speaking of pet peeves, all the seal industry supporting friends who I apprently have, who blew up my FB feed with all kinds of pro-seal skin/pro-seal killing comments because of the stunt her and Sam Simon pulled.

YUP. And also I gotta say I'm a little peeved that everyone is focusing on her rather than Sam Simon. She's actually super nice in person. My gossip pertains to one of them ordering dairy though even though I did not witness either of them consuming said dairy.

And yeah, my FB dash is full of "real Newfies bash baby seal brains every morning for breakfast" shiitake. I'm only being slightly hyperbolic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:43 pm 
WRETCHED

I don't know why but I think I've noticed a lot of websites recently where you pay for a subscription to be sent vegan recipes/meal plans. I mean there are lots of blogs and what not that are free (the popular ones are paid via advertisements but free to the user) but some of the 'subscription based' vegan websites charge upwards of $100/month to have recipes/meal plans for new vegans. I think if someone is willing to pay then go right ahead although I wouldn't be surprised if some of those websites are just putting together meal plans from other people's cookbooks/blogs. Although the PCRM one is free, there is one on Oprah's website that is free and obviously plenty of recipes out there for people to put together their own like I said.

I don't mind people getting paid for their work at all and I do think people's time is important but on some level, I would never pay to access a website without knowing what I get first.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:06 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Even though I said all that above - I can totally cop to being annoyed when my favorite websites or services becoming the creator's revenue source. There used to be a meet-up group around here that was managed by one person and then that person decided it was their actual job to run the meet-up group, and it became just events that you had to pay to attend - that was obnoxious, although it actually made a lot of sense considering the population and I admired the slickness with which this person made the shift (so much so that I suspect that was the plan all along). A blog I used to visit all the time became subscription based and you can't see anything anymore if you're not subscribed. The blog was not awesome enough to pay money for and didn't really have content I thought anyone would pay money for, but it had been a really nice gathering spot for people who were suffering around a particular issue to get some support and now it's not that at all, so that's really sad.

I really, really understand people's desire to monetize their "hobbies" that suck up all their time and sometimes require a really professional level of work to make happen and that really seems to be the way of the future. Everybody is supposed to be an entrepreneur or something. But it's kind of a delicate balancing act.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im really annoyed right now.
tomorrow is my husband's birthday.
my inlaws are coming to visit.
i asked my husband what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday and we went through my cookbooks and i really wanted to make the German chocolate cake from Chloe's desserts. ive never made one and it looks yummy and he was down with that.
i went out and bought all the stuff for it. pecans arent cheap.

i just got a text from my MIL saying my FIL is making a cheesecake and lemon curd for my husband's bday and they are bringing it and it's a secret.
they seem to think this cheesecake he makes is something fancy. i had some pregan and it was just ok.
it's not like something my husband goes crazy for.

soooo now i can scrap the whole idea of making the cake and then i get.........nothing....
OR i can make the cake and be like "yeah i know you told me you were bringing dessert but i made dessert to oand now we have two cakes isnt this weird and awkward?"

grrrrrr

im making my damn cake and im going to sit in a corner and eat the damn thing by myself

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:16 pm 
WRETCHED

Make your cake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:17 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

having two desserts isn't weird! how long are they visiting for? if they are only coming for the day, make your cake anyway and eat it the rest of the week. if they are coming for the weekend, just make your cake and said you'd already started making it when they told you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:22 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Ariann wrote:
I really, really understand people's desire to monetize their "hobbies" that suck up all their time and sometimes require a really professional level of work to make happen and that really seems to be the way of the future. Everybody is supposed to be an entrepreneur or something. But it's kind of a delicate balancing act.

Agreed, if you find something you love and are able to get some sort of money for it, I think that's great! But when you go into it with the mindset that this is what you're going to be and there's no other option, it doesn't work so well.

Also when people have clearly taken some sort of 'grow your presence on social media' seminar. It's the worst. I don't know why anyone follows people on twitter who do nothing but tweet 20+ links a day about themselves.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:22 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I usually make two cakes for birthdays anyway, because I want to eat two different kinds of cake :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:25 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Make the cake, LP! Anyhoo, it's not like you're making the same type of cake as them but just an ewwwwvegan version. Some people like different cakes! Choices!

Also, it's your damn house so you can have any damn food you want knocking about. Cake!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

Last edited by interrobang?! on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:27 pm 

Yeah, I hear being sad when the content style or demographic of something you used to like changes significantly. And I certainly enjoy all sorts of free content that I would never actually pay for! I think, if it works for the people running it, free-listening/listener-supported programs are really great, because then anybody can enjoy all or most of the content, but you're only going to give money to it if it is really providing you with a ton of value AND you have the means to do it.

Also, two cakes is clearly better than one cake.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:29 pm 

One year Brian requested for his birthday either something 'limey, peanut buttery, or minty'. I made peanut butter cupcakes, key lime pie, and mint chocolate chip cookies for his birthday party because, why the fork not?

And also, Plain White Rice girl was there and she was 'seriously upset' that she couldn't eat any of it because she's allergic to limes and doesn't like mint or peanut butter. It's not your birthday? I don't care because you're picky?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:38 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

You should've asked her what's that like not being able to eat any of the desserts at a party. Thank god we've never experienced such hardship.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:40 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

electric_claire wrote:
I agree so much that it is valid to shoot for being able to compensate yourself for your time and experience - not just the time researching and recording the show, but if she, or someone else, is spending time editing the podcast, promoting it, networking to find new interviewees, etc. I don't know that I've ever heard this show, so I don't know if I would personally find it worth supporting but as someone who works in a creative field, I am tired of people thinking that my time and my expertise that I have developed over the course of years of full-time work and school and apprenticeships and whatnot are not as valuable as the time and expertise of people in other careers. (This has become an especially big pet peeve of mine now that I create quotes and do more account management stuff along with design and fabrication work these days, since I get to see just how many people expect that our company can custom-make something for them that will be cheaper than some thing they found on Amazon.)

Also, I think it can be really uncomfortable for a lot of people to recognize the value of their time, and to become comfortable asking for it to be compensated- especially in creative areas- so I totally give props to anyone who has the guts to try to turn their passions into viable means of self-employment.

I'm not sure it's the same thing. In the case being talked about here, it's more about being asked to donate to sponsor a sort of charitable or "good" work, not a creative or artistic endeavor or product. It's like, if you get into podcasting to help animals, and you have enough time and money and everything else to do it, but then, once you get popular, you start asking for money to cover the costs of the project you're ostensibly doing because you love and want to help the animals... I don't know. I think that's quite different than an artist who asks for fair compensation for their work.

It's not that I think people shouldn't be compensated for their time. I think that where an affluent person has a hobby and they want to use that hobby to help the animals, then that's great. But I'm not sure I see that as an ethically appropriate way to make money. That said, we obviously live in a capitalist society, so if someone can charge money for something and get it, then, well, good for them, I guess. Personally, I'd rather donate my money directly to Out to Pasture or something, rather than give to a podcaster, even if they make a good podcast and do good work. And again, I say this as a person who (along with my much more talented partner) produced a podcast for several years. I had/have way less money than CPG, and I was always pretty happy to do it for free.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:44 pm 

Fee wrote:
You should've asked her what's that like not being able to eat any of the desserts at a party. Thank god we've never experienced such hardship.

I think I just rolled my eyes as I walked away, but I should've offered her some rice as 'better than nothing'.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:18 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im gonna make my cake still i think.
im just annoyed they didnt bother asking me if i was making anythign and now they're bringing something to my house i cant even eat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:55 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i am finally happy to hear that i am not the only douchebaggy grinch who has always felt stabby about a certain podcast cited above (not jordan and erika's).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:40 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I'm happy to support websites I really love and am not against a podcast having a premium membership or donation box or whatever, but the higher tier membership prices are just really staggering. I've never heard the podcast though. I am sort of curious whether anyone actually pays that. At $100/month the cookbook author had better come over and babysit my toddler a few nights a week while I make dinner. And maybe pick up groceries on the way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:24 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

LisaPunk, my family gatherings always feature two desserts (who am I kidding, there's usually three)! Who could possibly object to more cake?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:26 am 
Semen Strong

LisaPunk, the text sounds like they're just telling you that they're bringing a cake, not that you can't make yours! I would definitely want to have something I could celebrate with, if it were me. Plus candles fit way better on a cake than a cheese cake :)

The second year that B and I were together, his mom asked if we could plan his birthday together, and she promised I'd get vegan stuff etc. So then I contacted her a few weeks later, and she had already planned the whole party on her own and my job was just to get him there. And when I showed up, I got no vegan food and no cake. We never celebrated there again.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:36 am 
Chard Martyr

This thread is making me extra excited for this really stupid social media workshop I'll be attending for work because I am so stoked (honestly!) to spend a couple days making myself laugh my asparagus off internally while I learn about "tactics" that many of these "vegan heroes" (aka bloggers, no, definitely not all of them!!) employ, and which I think actually fail miserably. I should really live tweet it.

#needmoreFABfollowers? Seek donations from your #FAVFANS to attend this seminar where we all pretend to care that's it not really just all about narcissism! #squee #monitizing #followme #kalesalad #farmsanctuary #waitwhat? #smoothies #sponsoredbyvitamix #attachmentparenting #bananasoftserve #algore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:54 am 

linanil wrote:
I don't know why but I think I've noticed a lot of websites recently where you pay for a subscription to be sent vegan recipes/meal plans. I mean there are lots of blogs and what not that are free (the popular ones are paid via advertisements but free to the user) but some of the 'subscription based' vegan websites charge upwards of $100/month to have recipes/meal plans for new vegans. I think if someone is willing to pay then go right ahead although I wouldn't be surprised if some of those websites are just putting together meal plans from other people's cookbooks/blogs. Although the PCRM one is free, there is one on Oprah's website that is free and obviously plenty of recipes out there for people to put together their own like I said.

I don't mind people getting paid for their work at all and I do think people's time is important but on some level, I would never pay to access a website without knowing what I get first.

I subscribe to a meal plan service -- but it's less than $20/month. For me the value is in having the grocery list and meals planned out for me, with a reasonable caloric level, and also a prep sheet to guide me through doing a once-a-week-cook if I so desire. Yes, I can make my own, but sometimes I just don't have the time or the desire.

I would never pay $100/month for one though, that's crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:55 am 

LisaPunk wrote:
im gonna make my cake still i think.
im just annoyed they didnt bother asking me if i was making anythign and now they're bringing something to my house i cant even eat

I would make your cake, and if they ask just say you wanted to be able to eat dessert as well. That's really rude to bring something to someone's house that they can't eat, IMO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365 ... 481  Next