| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369 ... 496  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:40 pm 
Grandfathered In

Biscoff are pretty small, though. The GO did have... um... Spekulat... something. Some kind of Speculoos-type cookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:51 pm 
And you never will.

monkeytoes wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Or biscoff s'mores!

That just might be genius.

We did that at veganstock one year! It was magical.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:56 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Yes it was!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:18 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

This:

Vegetarian Combination
Fried Rice
Chop Suey
Deep Fried Prawns

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:12 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Guessing they're not Sophie's Kitchen then, eh?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I wish I remembered if I liked Sophie's Kitchen stuff. I just can't remember, and don't want to spend $6.50 only to find out I didn't like them.

I guess if they were worth it, I'd remember?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

allularpunk wrote:
T's cousin got us free tickets to an NFL game this weekend, so afterwards we all went out to eat wherever they wanted. We ended up at this steak and spaghetti place (joy). The server told me that the pasta didn't have eggs in it, so I ordered the marinara. I remembered before she left to ask if there was cheese served on it, and it turns out that there is cheese in the sauce. Guess what I ended up getting to eat? Plain, totally unseasoned spaghetti noodles. A few minutes after it arrived, she plopped down a bowl of olive oil with jarred minced garlic in it.

Uh… hashtag notworthsevendollars

I ended up eating hummus for dinner at the hotel later that night.

DEMOS?! I've had this experience. We were forced to go there with shitty family members' friends. I just had a beer and ate afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

creep wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
T's cousin got us free tickets to an NFL game this weekend, so afterwards we all went out to eat wherever they wanted. We ended up at this steak and spaghetti place (joy). The server told me that the pasta didn't have eggs in it, so I ordered the marinara. I remembered before she left to ask if there was cheese served on it, and it turns out that there is cheese in the sauce. Guess what I ended up getting to eat? Plain, totally unseasoned spaghetti noodles. A few minutes after it arrived, she plopped down a bowl of olive oil with jarred minced garlic in it.

Uh… hashtag notworthsevendollars

I ended up eating hummus for dinner at the hotel later that night.

DEMOS?! I've had this experience. We were forced to go there with shitty family members' friends. I just had a beer and ate afterwards.

YES! Haha, it was pretty comical. Luckily I wasn't that hungry to begin with, and the hummus at the hotel was super tasty after the 6000 beers I had drank that day. They even gave me olives and roasted red peppers to eat with it.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:13 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

A omni friend (who has admitted not understanding what I eat) suggested a place for me to eat this weekend when I am up north. He says the chef/owner is vegan or was vegan or something, so there will be loads of options. So I check out the online menu. Sorry, but a hummus platter will not cut it for three days of meals. But thanks for playing.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:47 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

missmuffcake wrote:
i miss a childhood classic - graham crackers + milk...like cereal. my mom would let us have that at times. i loved it so!

I used to have that all the time! We called it "dip and eat." I bet it would be even better with vanilla soymilk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:18 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

kfad wrote:
A omni friend (who has admitted not understanding what I eat) suggested a place for me to eat this weekend when I am up north. He says the chef/owner is vegan or was vegan or something, so there will be loads of options. So I check out the online menu. Sorry, but a hummus platter will not cut it for three days of meals. But thanks for playing.

Maybe the owner can whip you up something special? I generally find that chefs will make something vegan if asked. Although, it's not always something filling or sustainable, to be fair.

So! Aren't parties always such fun fodder for this thread? I have two from last night. First, this friend of mine was talking about how great that birthday cake I made was, and then was talking about how she was going to make it and trick someone into thinking it wasn't vegan…but she was acting as if it was healthy or something, so I said, 'Well, it's not healthy, there's still loads of fat and sugar in it!' And this paleo lady was like, 'And flour! Flour is soooo unhealthy!' I literally had nothing to say in response.

But the best was later, because the only thing there for me to eat was a bag of BBQ chips, so I was eating them (after checking the label). This dude asked if I was vegetarian, and I told him I was vegan. Then he says, 'So you're committing the ultimate sin!' Um…what? I said, 'Uh…no? These are vegan.' He didn't believe me, even after I told him I'd checked the ingredients, grabbed the bag from me, studied the ingredients for himself, and then declared that it was forking unbelievable that BBQ chips didn't have animal products in them. Also, everyone thought it was sooooo funny that I was carrying around a bag of chips and snarfing them down. But, you know, it's not funny at all that earlier they were all housing meatball subs, pepperoni pizza, turkey sandwiches, and sausage balls.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:14 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Overheard some girl talk about how vegan she was.....in her leather and fur trim outfit. And feather head piece.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Chicki wrote:
Overheard some girl talk about how vegan she was.....in her leather and fur trim outfit. And feather head piece.

I see what you're getting at, but I use some thrifted leather. All of the imitation-leather things I've bought (a few pairs of boots, a couple of belts, a couple of purses) haven't held up well enough for me to justify the expense and environmental impact of the manufacturing. It makes more sense to me to reuse something even if it isn't vegan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:31 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lavawitch wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
annabazoo wrote:
I guess anything other than baconsteaktatos is too female.

Bahaha! BEST! Baconsteaktatos <3

We need CQ to veganize that!

As you wish!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:09 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

lavawitch wrote:
I wish I remembered if I liked Sophie's Kitchen stuff. I just can't remember, and don't want to spend $6.50 only to find out I didn't like them.

I guess if they were worth it, I'd remember?

The fried shrimp and fried calamari are disgusting. The fish sticks are kind of good, but not really worth the $$$ for normal eating because they have like no protein which in my mind kind of defeats the purpose of fake seafood. I never ate seafood though--honestly the only fish I've ever had were fish sticks and salmon, and I really disliked both.

But I love vegan recipes for fake seafood-y stuff, such as the tempeh crab cakes in VB.

Pet peeve! The vegan burger at a pub we ate at tonight only comes with gluten-free buns, because the delicious looking pretzel onion kaiser rolls that go with the other burgers are not vegan, and the g/f bun was so stale and chalky that I feel sick just thinking about it. I think I said something really stupid to my husband like "they kill two vegan and gluten free birds with one stone" because I was hungry and unsatisfied, dammit! The patty was also made with rancid flax seeds. Luckily I have a pet awesome because my 5 course (!!!) vegan breakfast was the best food of all time, seriously.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

What do you eat?

How do you get your protein?

Can you eat, like, bread?

I could NEVER do that!

^Is how I'll imagine myself in my head from now on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:07 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Oooh, how about when my boyfriend told his mom I'm vegan and she started interrogating me about what I eat, then ignoring anything I had to say/telling me I'm wrong, basically. Like, I said I eat a lot of legumes, and those have a lot of nutrients, and she said, "Well, they have fiber, but that's about it." She kept saying, "Everything is okay in moderation." Later I said something about soy milk, and, "Oh, NO! You can't eat SOY! It's TERRIBLE for you! The hormones! You'll get breast cancer and DIE!" And I just said something like, well, I don't eat a ton of it, so I'm not worried and anyway, I'd be more worried about how it's in tons of processed food. She replied that, no, it's not. Ok, lady, the three things you have on your table right now all have soy in them, but whatever. This is the same woman that told me I must have a brain parasite from my cats and that's why I'm quiet (this was on Christmas eve in front of everyone, no less -- and yes, she was utterly serious). Maybe I'm just quiet around you because you talk to me like this!

Ahem. Whew. I feel better now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:25 pm 
Dead by dawn

Wow, what a peach. :/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Damn local vegan groups and people shoving the just eat whole foods malarky and processed food is the devil and food isn't vegan if it is made in the same factory as non vegan stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Shy Mox wrote:
What do you eat?

I could NEVER do that!

Ha. THIS! I love it! I get so tired of that same routine. I sound absolutely bored anymore when answering a persons questions but its the same thing over and over again. Also, because I don't drink milk they are just waiting and watching for my bones to disintegrate. They beat that stuff into our heads when we are children that you MUST eat meat and drink milk to be healthy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:13 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Shy Mox wrote:
What do you eat?

I could NEVER do that!

Hahaha. I went on three dates with an OKC guy who on the first date asked me how I get my protein. And then he kept asking me "can you eat___ ?" Blerg! The best (worst?) was "do you eat oysters?". Um, no I do not.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:14 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

monkeytoes wrote:
And why are they selling them in Spokane and not here?! I have spent way too much ordering those online because they are nowhere to be found over here. (zensquiggle, some of the people in that group are just... I don't even know... ugh.)

I'm glad it's not just me. I'm not a super social person anyway, but I'm about half a step away from unjoining the group completely. For now I fiddled around until I figured out how to take them out of my feed so that I wouldn't go up in flames every time I opened up facebook.

The plain Nabisco grahams aren't a regular thing at the Spokane Grocery Outlet... I think they just happened to get a pallet of them at random. Grocery Outlet is funny... I'll see brands from places we don't even have near here, like Publix and Hellman's. But I got about 10 tubs of organic whipped Earth Balance for $2 each just before xmas, so I keep poking my head in periodically and hunting for treasures.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I love that gif!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:26 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Those graham crackers have appeared at 99 Cents Only before too. I have to assume they don't sell very well at regular stores since they always end up at the discount stores.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

poopiebitch wrote:
But you have digestives! Digestives > graham crackers.

Hell yes. Easy access to vegan, chocolate dipped digestive cookies is a dream of mine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369 ... 496  Next