| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 493  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:54 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

GymClassZero wrote:
I was telling my sister that I was feeling really depressed and anxious lately and she offered, "Eat more protein". Yesterday someone else told me the same forking thing. I get plenty of protein, dammit, and that is shitty advice.

Oh my gosh, I get that a ton too. Sooo forkin' hate it! I mean, come on, do I look sick to you? I havent caught any illness in forever, I eat healthy and I make sure I have all my nutrient needs on a daily basis. Do they not see that??

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:08 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

dropscone wrote:
Oh, have we had this one yet? When someone tells you how they tricked another vegan into eating something non-vegan. One of my colleagues told me how she put butter into something she made for her son, and he ate it all up and enjoyed it! I don't know what she expected me to say to that.

Ugh, that makes my skin crawl. I first went vegetarian as a teenager and my mom totally used to sneak meat into my food when she had a hand in preparing it, so that kind of shiitake really upsets me. Of course she also used to brag about sneaking tofu into my father's chicken salad, so maybe she just got off on hiding stuff in people's food.

As an anti-pet peeve counter to that, my mom has become a lot more open to vegetarianism in the last couple of years. I gave her a copy of AFR and she actually made several recipes from it! Let's not think about the fact that she probably sprinkled parm on top of everything, but hey, it's a move in a positive direction. She also called me up the other day and spent 20 minutes rambling about how delicious some black bean burger with avocado was. Good for you, ma!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:16 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh yeah, that too. My own mother, whom is supposed to be supportive of our veganism (my husband, son and I), decided that she would give my son some dairy stuff behind my back... You know how I found out? He's lactose intolerant. He would get major gas after being over at her place. I confronted her and all she had to say for herself was "but its good for his growth!" What the fork!!!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:48 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

bekki wrote:

Really, though, it is bizarre to acknowledge the person you're talking to has no interest in what you're saying and then continue on with it in great detail. Kinda makes me want to counter with "I know you don't want to hear about the crepe I took this morning, but...." (obviously you're not talking to the PPK if you begin a sentence that way)

I should talk to my dad about my period...I will just start it off with "I know you don't wanna hear about this...."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:51 am 
WRETCHED

I have a small annoyance with my mother in law who tries to buy new things she sees and wants us to try them. This resulted in me trying the dark chocolate almond milk (yum), the silk protein shake (eww) and other products. The problem is that she isn't very good about checking the label on stuff so.. last thing she gave me has both dairy and egg in it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:07 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

My family has tricked me into eating meat. They think its funny. I don't eat anything around them now, not for years, not since I became violently ill at thanksgiving one time, after eating both beef stock and heavy cream.

(I didn't know there was that stuff in the food. I thought I had the flu or something. My BF told me the truth later, since he overheard them talking about it)

I guess that is really more than a 'pet peeve'. I mean, I got really sick, and now I am terrified to eat anything anyone else prepares.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Chicki wrote:
My family has tricked me into eating meat. They think its funny. I don't eat anything around them now, not for years, not since I became violently ill at thanksgiving one time, after eating both beef stock and heavy cream.

(I didn't know there was that stuff in the food. I thought I had the flu or something. My BF told me the truth later, since he overheard them talking about it)

I guess that is really more than a 'pet peeve'. I mean, I got really sick, and now I am terrified to eat anything anyone else prepares.

Even if you hadn't gotten sick, that was a really cruel thing to do. I don't know how they could think that was funny.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:24 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Wait, he heard them talking about it like they plotted it?!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:34 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

tinglepants! wrote:
Chicki wrote:

Even if you hadn't gotten sick, that was a really cruel thing to do. I don't know how they could think that was funny.
Seriously. If someone did that to me, I wouldn't be in a position to eat anything around them, because I wouldn't associate with them anymore.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:46 pm 

Chicki, did you tell this story before? I'm thinking that I recall your saying that he overheard them talking while you were in the bathroom, them saying that they didn't think it'd actually make you sick or something. Or maybe that was someone else. People are terrible. Worst ever. That's like my biggest nightmare.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:40 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

biorobotics wrote:
and mixed salad bars are so gross; ingredients always get strewn everywhere.

Salad bars are disgusting for many reasons! I've worked in health food stores and upper-end grocery stores, and only the shitty produce not fit for sale in the produce department is used.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Desdemona wrote:
dropscone wrote:
Oh, have we had this one yet? When someone tells you how they tricked another vegan into eating something non-vegan. One of my colleagues told me how she put butter into something she made for her son, and he ate it all up and enjoyed it! I don't know what she expected me to say to that.
"Wow, that is so awesome that your son can't trust you at all! You must feel pretty good about yourself right now."

You are much classier than me, as my reaction was simply "croissant."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:48 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

ndpittman wrote:
Chicki, did you tell this story before? I'm thinking that I recall your saying that he overheard them talking while you were in the bathroom, them saying that they didn't think it'd actually make you sick or something. Or maybe that was someone else. People are terrible. Worst ever. That's like my biggest nightmare.

yeah same story. Thanksgiving. I was so mad, I didn't talk to them for awhile. (we are all adult siblings - our parent have all passed away).

My sister and her aunt served a tomato soup for the first course, and they told me they made it especially for me since there was no meat in it. So I ate like 3 bowls of it, since the only other thing to eat was my potatoes I brought. I got sooooooo sick. Like violently vomiting about 20 minutes later.

My parnter heard them talking about it, how they didn't think it would affect me, maybe I was faking. But I didn't find out that it was made with beef stock and cream until we got home. My partner wisely didn't tell me until then. That was NOT a fun 90 minute car ride home either.

My partner was super mad. He gets very defensive now when people tell me to man up and just eat it/pick it off/whatever. They still pull this shiitake sometimes, like making sure there is hummus and chips for me to eat, then finding out they bought hummus with dairy in it. I never know if it is an oversight, or a plot. They are big time foodies, and they take my veganism as an insult I think.

I pretty much refuse food at any function now, with them or anyone else. I always eat before I go anywhere, just in case. Scarred for life!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:12 pm 
Saggy Butt

Ugh, I was trying to help a customer find gummy vitamins for her 13 year old grandson, and she mentioned he was vegetarian, and i checked the ingredients and pointed out that they had gelatin and weren't vegetarian and was going to put them back. She grabbed them out of my hand and was like 'oh i just won't tell him. I slip meat into his food all the time. he's got to eat something you know." and then proceeded to tell me all the ways she would slip chicken broth and other things into his food. I think i stood there with my mouth open the entire time and for five minutes afterwards. I just felt horrible that a) this lady would BRAG to a perfect stranger about violating the trust of a kid who is probably just starting to make moral decisions for himself. and b) for this kid who's grandmother thinks he's an idiot.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:44 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Wow, just wow, I don't even... shiitake like that peas me of so much.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:42 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

When I left my travel cup unattended for five minutes, my friend poured his coffee in it. I came back and he was like, "I put my coffee in there," so I asked if it was just black coffee. He said it just had sugar. I asked twice and finally he says, "It only has a little half and half." He goes on to say that I wouldn't have drank it if he told me. No shiitake, I wouldn't have. Glad I didn't drink it.

Really?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:38 am 

Chicki wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

yeah same story. Thanksgiving. I was so mad, I didn't talk to them for awhile. (we are all adult siblings - our parent have all passed away).

My sister and her aunt served a tomato soup for the first course, and they told me they made it especially for me since there was no meat in it. So I ate like 3 bowls of it, since the only other thing to eat was my potatoes I brought. I got sooooooo sick. Like violently vomiting about 20 minutes later.

My parnter heard them talking about it, how they didn't think it would affect me, maybe I was faking. But I didn't find out that it was made with beef stock and cream until we got home. My partner wisely didn't tell me until then. That was NOT a fun 90 minute car ride home either.

My partner was super mad. He gets very defensive now when people tell me to man up and just eat it/pick it off/whatever. They still pull this shiitake sometimes, like making sure there is hummus and chips for me to eat, then finding out they bought hummus with dairy in it. I never know if it is an oversight, or a plot. They are big time foodies, and they take my veganism as an insult I think.

I pretty much refuse food at any function now, with them or anyone else. I always eat before I go anywhere, just in case. Scarred for life!

I don't blame you!! Just thinking about that has my chest tight. What a wretched thing to do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:32 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I just saw someone ask a vegan on twitter if she mixes carbs and proteins. Oh, humans and your silly lack of basic knowledge about food.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Molly- Bahahahaha!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:28 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i wish there were a way to get only veg deals from scoutmob. nothing like opening my e-mail to a mountain of glistening bratwurst. *splarf*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:30 pm 

I have an addendum to my previous pet peeve. SO, Three Sisters Cinnamon cereal (like cinna toast crunch), the econo size bag I looked at wasn't vegan, but the smaller size was. what the fizzle? The update: I went to get a regular size bag, and the first one I picked up wasn't vegan, but the second one was? I think they just updated their recipe or whatever, but that is tricky.

Amy's solved the macaroni and cheese pet peeve though buy putting a vegan call out on the front!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:59 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I get so cold in the freezer isle looking at the ingredients on all the labels of Amy's stuff to see if it says 'vegan' on the back.

Then I realize I can't really afford or even want frozen dinners, put it all back and head for the produce section.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:16 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Chicki wrote:
I get so cold in the freezer isle looking at the ingredients on all the labels of Amy's stuff to see if it says 'vegan' on the back.

Then I realize I can't really afford or even want frozen dinners, put it all back and head for the produce section.

I do that everytime too. I need more moolah!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:41 pm 
Semen Strong

Ha! Our WF had a sale on Candle frozen dinners and I was standing there, racking my brain trying to remember the reviews about which one was good, before I remembered that it is really easy to plow through your budget if you're buying $5 frozen dindins

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:44 pm 

Exactly! And one of my favorite Amy's is the brown rice tofu bowl. I was like, self, this is brown rice with tofu and vegetables. Even you can produce this. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 493  Next