| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11891 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375 ... 476  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:32 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Do people offer you food and say "ohh i know these are not vegan but do you want them"...what will i do with food i do not want to eat???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:14 pm 
Grandfathered In

Throw it on the ground? That's what I do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:23 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

dress it up in dapper little outfits? i recommend keeping a stash of doll clothes in various sizes on your person at all times for this purpose.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:14 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Really bugs me that every time I happen to take the Bolt Bus, it makes a stop at McDonald's or Burger King. Everyone piles off the bus to get food then brings it back onto the bus where everyone eats and it stinks like crazy until we reach our destination. Awful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:08 pm 
Nooch of Earl

"You'd never know this was veg*n," as seen most recently in a fb post:

"With gorgeous snacks like these crunchy deep-fried mushrooms and pickles, you’d never know New York’s Pickle Shack was all vegetarian fare."

Really? Are mushrooms and pickles normally filled with meat?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:05 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

acr wrote:
dress it up in dapper little outfits? i recommend keeping a stash of doll clothes in various sizes on your person at all times for this purpose.

Now I want to do that with ALL the food!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:59 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Obligatory "almost all of my vegan meals at this conference have cheese in them post"

And my tummy tells me that the ones I thought were ok Must have had dairy.....

But the McDougall cup of soups/grains that you just add water to are forking GREAT. Not had them before. Highly recommend.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:36 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

acr wrote:

Like Amelia Bedalia when she has to dress the turkey! She makes it a little set of overalls.
It is so annoying when people know that you are are vegan and what that means, then offer you non-veg food because "it won't kill you." I know it won't, but it darn near killed something else! And then i feel rude when i give a snarky response.
It's also really been peeving me lately about how non-strict of a vegan my boyfriend is being. I am really happy that he's trying, and he's doing better than originally. But i look like a bisque when we both say we are vegans and he takes my friend's non-veg caramels. We need a word like "flexivegan" to describe people who are kinda vegan, but not very strict about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

annabazoo wrote:
We need a word like "flexivegan" to describe people who are kinda vegan, but not very strict about it.

Vegetarian? Omnivore?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

rachell37 wrote:
annabazoo wrote:
We need a word like "flexivegan" to describe people who are kinda vegan, but not very strict about it.

Vegetarian? Omnivore?

Yep.

My husband eats 99% vegan but will eat cheese every couple months if we go out to this one specific restaurant. Or birthday cake at parties. That's about it, but it still makes him just vegetarian.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:27 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

creep wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
annabazoo wrote:

Vegetarian? Omnivore?

Yep.

My husband eats 99% vegan but will eat cheese every couple months if we go out to this one specific restaurant. Or birthday cake at parties. That's about it, but it still makes him just vegetarian.

Yeeepp! I was a fickle omnivore with 98% vegan tendencies most of last year. But I had periods of "not being vegan," which means that. . . I just wasn't vegan. At all. I'm now determined to keep at it, and will always say I went vegan January 2014, if asked. Label lying ain't cool.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's not about "vegan cred" or whatever. It just makes it confusing when people are trying to feed us, if they know a vegan "who eats ____ sometimes."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:59 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

A friend of mine has a friend like that. Because of that friend of hers, she thinks a certain cafe is good for me to get something to eat at. Last time I ate there I ended up sick with cramps, wind, diarrhoea and inflammation in my throat and ears. All the symptoms I get when I've ingested dairy.

Because my friend is like the nicest person in the world ever I don't want to tell her that all I trust that cafe with serving me with is a black coffee.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:28 am 
WRETCHED

if I ever end up on the mystical desert island, then I will fly my flexivegan flag...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:19 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

annabazoo wrote:
acr wrote:

Like Amelia Bedalia when she has to dress the turkey! She makes it a little set of overalls.
It is so annoying when people know that you are are vegan and what that means, then offer you non-veg food because "it won't kill you." I know it won't, but it darn near killed something else! And then i feel rude when i give a snarky response.
It's also really been peeving me lately about how non-strict of a vegan my boyfriend is being. I am really happy that he's trying, and he's doing better than originally. But i look like a bisque when we both say we are vegans and he takes my friend's non-veg caramels. We need a word like "flexivegan" to describe people who are kinda vegan, but not very strict about it.

Yes to Amelia Bedalia! That was my first thought, and I'm overly excited that someone else remembers those books. Ok, back to pet peeves.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:36 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

creep wrote:
It's not about "vegan cred" or whatever. It just makes it confusing when people are trying to feed us, if they know a vegan "who eats ____ sometimes."

True! I was thinking less "vegan cred" (haha) and more. . . I don't know. People who use false labels like that make it difficult and create that very problem. My point I guess is that I didn't voice my point right. I was totally agreeing.
Man I'm articulate.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

oddspongeout wrote:
creep wrote:

True! I was thinking less "vegan cred" (haha) and more. . . I don't know. People who use false labels like that make it difficult and create that very problem. My point I guess is that I didn't voice my point right. I was totally agreeing.
Man I'm articulate.

Oh, that wasn't directed at you or anything. I was just saying stuff about stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i have two regular grocery stores within about 10 mins from me and i swear i saw nooch at one of them recently and i did a little happy dance that i didnt have to drive to whole foods anymore to get it. i didnt need it when i saw it so i didnt buy it.

i ran out this week and could not find it at either store.

maybe i dreamt it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:23 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I went to a vegan restaurant for dessert and EVERY SINGLE ITEM (except one cinnamon roll) in the big bakery case was gluten-free and looked like it had been left out in the sun to dehydrate for a few days.

I feel for the people with an actual gluten intolerance, and I'm all for being accommodating and providing options for everyone, but I'm so over this trendy gluten-free bullshiitake.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I basically feel the same way about gluten-free stuff as most omnis do about vegan stuff, and I openly realize and acknowledge my hypocrisy while clinging to it.

Like:
- most gluten free versions of glutinous foods are gross
- why would anyone want to eat fake wheat?
- but wheat tastes gooood.
- I could never give up gluten, because BREAD
- If humans weren't meant to eat gluten, why would God have given us teeth for biting into a crusty warm baguette?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:43 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

annak wrote:
- If humans weren't meant to eat gluten, why would God have given us teeth for biting into a crusty warm baguette?

AMEN, HALLEJOOLAH!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

ashley wrote:
I went to a vegan restaurant for dessert and EVERY SINGLE ITEM (except one cinnamon roll) in the big bakery case was gluten-free and looked like it had been left out in the sun to dehydrate for a few days.

I feel for the people with an actual gluten intolerance, and I'm all for being accommodating and providing options for everyone, but I'm so over this trendy gluten-free bullshiitake.

Agreed. I feel entitled to complain after moving here from a town with no vegan baked goods, but all but one vegan bakery in this city actually makes baked goods with gluten in them. I'll take what I can get, but there's something frustrating about the idea of traditional type pastries seeming just almost obtainable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:02 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

For. Real.

I feel like a hypocrite too, but it's not the same as vegan vs. omni and I don't feel bad about objecting to the insanity. I've never heard an ethical objection to wheat. We're all just supposed to think gluten is the devil, because... something? Plus, even if I really wanted to eat a dried out brick of potato starch or whatever that shiitake is made of, it's crazy expensive. We paid $4.75 for a cookie sandwich last night (my mom bought it because we were already there, but if I'd been alone I would have just left) and it wasn't even worth eating. SAD SAD SAD.

I know good gluten-free baked goods exist. I've had a few. But really, most are so bad, and why must everyone be objected to that?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Khan's Desserts here in Nashville makes amazing gluten-free stuff. I can't even tell the difference. So it's possible!

There is another vegan baker who sells her desserts to a local restaurant, however, and hers are gross. Just tastes like chickpea flour to me. Husband brought home one of her cakes instead of a Khan's Desserts cake once upon a time, when I REALLY wanted cake, and it was the most disappointing thing ever.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The problem is that most of the gluten free stuff just isn't very good. If you can't make gf cookies that don't taste and look like hockey pucks, don't bother.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11891 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375 ... 476  Next