| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13407 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 373, 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379 ... 537  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:02 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

vixki wrote:

seriously, it's not that hard to get vegan food. oreos are vegan ffs! There's a whole ton of party "finger food" which is vegan without even trying. People who say it's too hard to feed vegans obviously haven't thought that much about it. I think people hear the word "vegan" and get scared and can't think of anything except meat and cheese.

Before the boyfriend's mother moved away (thank god!) they had a party. Boyfriend asked will there be anything vegan, of course not said mom because she was too poor to buy vegan food. I would be more sympathetic if she did not tell me she just spent $50 on shampoo...A bag of plain Lay's potato chips cost $3...a Fun sized bag like $1.50...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:20 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

vixki wrote:
seriously, it's not that hard to get vegan food. oreos are vegan ffs! There's a whole ton of party "finger food" which is vegan without even trying. People who say it's too hard to feed vegans obviously haven't thought that much about it. I think people hear the word "vegan" and get scared and can't think of anything except meat and cheese.

Totally. It's like some people panic, and immediately think they'll have to spend their whole day wandering the aisles checking to make sure every banana and apple they buy has the word 'vegan' stamped on them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:26 pm 
WRETCHED

daisychain wrote:
Spices! Anything to make it taste like something! Even just a bit of curry powder does wonders. Best cous cous recipe is in VEW. So, so good.

Maybe I'm a freak of nature and love couscous just as it is. I could eat just plain couscous, no toppings. I made it last night but topped it with spicy Ethiopian lentils.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:28 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

On the phone with my mom last night she said she wanted to go to the bakery and taste my potential wedding cake with me before I order so she can make sure it doesn’t taste "vegan". I told her how if I had a bad omni-cake when I ate them I didn't swear off all cake. She was like, oh, what is an omni-cake, you mean a regular cake? Well, no, because to me a regular cake is a vegan one, the "regular kind" I make.

Then she went on about, as long as it has real sugar in it, not any agave. I assured her vegans do eat sugar, the kind that's vegan and all. Her reasoning about the agave was because when she goes to the neighbours and has some of her sweets it makes her head hurt from the fake sugars, because that neighbour cooks with stevia for her diabetic husband. My mom clearly does not know what agave is and just assumes its aspartame or something?! After me being vegan all this time... you'd think she got over this stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:29 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

quark wrote:
I had vegan meals flying to both Japan and Greece. I'm confident they were vegan, because they were plain rice, vegetables, and tofu.

Yum!

Whoa! You are very lucky indeed! I went to Japan in September and had no such luck. As a matter of fact, I practically starved to death while I was there. It was really difficult to find anything to eat. Tokyo, I managed some food but Kyoto.......I was really hungry......

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:02 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Hazel wrote:

Totally. It's like some people panic, and immediately think they'll have to spend their whole day wandering the aisles checking to make sure every banana and apple they buy has the word 'vegan' stamped on them.

they could simply say 'hey, i am going to x store, is there anything i can pick up for you?'...super simple. i know not everyone is comfortable shopping for us scary vegans with our 'outrageous' food choices but put forth a lil effort.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

Tofulish wrote:
One of my friends is an ex vegan (5y vegan) who keeps messaging me every time she makes something vegan. I don't care what you eat! Oh she also invited me to her birthday party with the words "well we have no vegan food but I would love to see you." Which is nice but ...

"I make vegan food occasionally but I've decided to invite you to my party but not make anything vegan specifically on that day."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but this encapsulates this thread nicely

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/21-things-that-happen-when-you-dont-eat-meat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
daisychain wrote:
Spices! Anything to make it taste like something! Even just a bit of curry powder does wonders. Best cous cous recipe is in VEW. So, so good.

Maybe I'm a freak of nature and love couscous just as it is. I could eat just plain couscous, no toppings. I made it last night but topped it with spicy Ethiopian lentils.

Same here. I love plain couscous with chickpeas and some salad dressing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

vegetable_assassin wrote:

Then she went on about, as long as it has real sugar in it, not any agave. I assured her vegans do eat sugar, the kind that's vegan and all. Her reasoning about the agave was because when she goes to the neighbours and has some of her sweets it makes her head hurt from the fake sugars, because that neighbour cooks with stevia for her diabetic husband. My mom clearly does not know what agave is and just assumes its aspartame or something?! After me being vegan all this time... you'd think she got over this stuff.

yeah it sounds like she just thinks those things are aspartame like science constructions.
i mean both agave and stevia are technically natural right? (however processed they might be)

i would say you are going to insist on a stevia cake for all! yum! (barf!)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:29 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I like my grains/beans/couscous plain too. And I am in no way a bland food fan. But I like the style of cooking that has a lot of different simply prepared components that all come together however you want it to when it comes to serving. I guess I like my grains the macrobiotic way? That doesn't sound like me. But stuff like couscous and rice and quinoa are good prepared simply then doctored up with all kinds of stuff: kimchi, chilli sauce, even raw garlic. I'm weird?

From a friend's FB:

xxxxxx shared Vegan Street's photo.
3 hours ago

Eveb tho im not a vegan or full vegetarian this is gpod thought to look at why we need to eat soo much of it... cause we do not. Since most times we do not even use the whole animal . Think bowel health... as long as you take at a lot of the gluten supstitutes for protien.. which wheat production is just as evironmentally destructive..if we learn to eat more simply we will also farm more ethically. Ohh im on a rant this morn. Our meat should be expensive. We should not have constant access to it.
Can't give up meat because you need the protein? Plant sources can have as much or more without violence, climate change, cholesterol and destruction. Choose your protein sources wisely. There's no reason for animals to die for you to meet your protein needs.
https://www.facebook.com/VeganStreet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:51 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm amused by a website I found on a paleo-like diet. On the site, there was some text about 'don't fear vegetarians, we got you covered too! click here for resources'. So I go to the page and there are links to a couple articles, including how to start including meat in your diet. I will say that I hardly think a guide for including meat in your diet makes a diet vegetarian friendly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:04 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Linanil, hahahahaha.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:34 pm 
Grandfathered In

linanil wrote:
I'm amused by a website I found on a paleo-like diet. On the site, there was some text about 'don't fear vegetarians, we got you covered too! click here for resources'. So I go to the page and there are links to a couple articles, including how to start including meat in your diet. I will say that I hardly think a guide for including meat in your diet makes a diet vegetarian friendly.

Sure it does. They're saving you from vegetarianism. What could be more loving?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:10 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

FootFace wrote:
linanil wrote:

Sure it does. They're saving you from vegetarianism. What could be more loving?

Omg that's it! I get it now! Bye, ya'll... I'm going paleo!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:22 pm 
Semen Strong

What a friend we have in cavemen.

I love that story linanil - thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:05 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

linanil wrote:

Heh, awesome. But exactly how hard is it to start including meat in your diet?

1. Buy meat
2. Cook meat
3. Eat meat
4. Something involving a toilet and cramps possibly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:27 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Mum eating some of my veggie food. You have a massive pot of meatie chili and I have a small amount of my own, dammit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:14 pm 
WRETCHED

Hazel wrote:
linanil wrote:

Heh, awesome. But exactly how hard is it to start including meat in your diet?

1. Buy meat
2. Cook meat
3. Eat meat
4. Something involving a toilet and cramps possibly

Well I looked and it talked about hiding your meat in your food and some other things.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:10 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I'm attending a nonviolence workshop all weekend. I was promised a vegan lunch. The "vegan lunch" turned out to be a sad sandwich (droopy eggplant and zucchini) and pea soup which turned out to contain pork. Yeahhh, bringing my own lunch tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Horrible crimes are committed against eggplant in the name of the token vegan meal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:23 pm 
Chip Strong

lavawitch wrote:
Horrible crimes are committed against eggplant in the name of the token vegan meal.

Seriously, why is it always badly prepared eggplant sandwiches if it isn't pasta and vegetables?

I logged in specifically to comment on this but tried to log in as "eggplant," because ubiquitous, and now can't remember what I was going to say.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:54 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

choirqueer wrote:
I'm attending a nonviolence workshop all weekend. I was promised a vegan lunch. The "vegan lunch" turned out to be a sad sandwich (droopy eggplant and zucchini) and pea soup which turned out to contain pork.
Because apparently violence against pigs (and non-consideration of attendees) is a-okay.
choirqueer wrote:
Yeahhh, bringing my own lunch tomorrow.
Much the best plan! Le sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:30 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Guys, i really hate when people use my special kitchen utensils for non-veg things. Plates and normal silverware are fine, but i have a nice set of knives and a few other things that i deeply care about. I don't want them tainted! And aren't you supposed to have separate cutting boards for meat anyway?
I have a sticky note on my knives with rules about handwashing them, not using them with meat, and using only wooden cutting boards. I came home today and literally every rule was broken. I was looking for a short apology, but instead got harangued about how they "didn't see the rules" and "didn't know it was my knife." This was coming from people who i cook with often and who know how i feel about my knives. You'd think that if someone saw a sticky note on something they were about to use, they would read it because it is probably relevant.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:33 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

The cutting board thing skeeves me out because wood is porous and just…no. I don't care if live cats want to hang out on it, but no dead animal carcasses allowed!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13407 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 373, 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379 ... 537  Next