| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386 ... 425  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:49 am 
Saggy Butt

dropscone wrote:
oddspongeout wrote:
...Why even use carob? Especially if all of the other items don't? It's obviously not for allergens, since the pies already have soy, coconut, and wheat. I don't get it.

Could be for people avoiding caffeine?

I didn't even think of that! And maybe for people to let their puppies have a bite? Hmmm. . . Now I feel like a brat, haha.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:00 am 
And you never will.

dropscone wrote:
oddspongeout wrote:
...Why even use carob? Especially if all of the other items don't? It's obviously not for allergens, since the pies already have soy, coconut, and wheat. I don't get it.

Could be for people avoiding caffeine?

Yeah, I have a friend who is allergic to caffeine so I make stuff for her with carob all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:12 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Someone on Pinterest commented on a pin about the absurdity of comparing vegans to cult members. She said, "There is no such thing as a vegan." So...we're fictional creatures, like Hobbits?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:15 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

SassyOh wrote:
So...we're fictional creatures, like Hobbits?

Well, I am an admitted fan of Second Breakfast.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:28 am 
And you never will.

A local juice joint that also serves some food (and claims to be a 100% vegan place) posted a picture today of their grab-and-go lentil burgers, with a picture of the ingredients label. The word vegan is in the title of the burger. In the ingredient list it says: ..."on pita bread (vegan: whole wheat flour, honey, yeast)"... etc.

I commented (nicely), but UGH. Come ON people.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:28 am 
Flounceiad 2011

madeleine.teacup wrote:
SassyOh wrote:
So...we're fictional creatures, like Hobbits?
Well, I am an admitted fan of Second Breakfast.
Lovely. Step inside and 'll just put the kettle on, shall I?

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:50 am 

poopiebitch wrote:
A local juice joint that also serves some food (and claims to be a 100% vegan place) posted a picture today of their grab-and-go lentil burgers, with a picture of the ingredients label. The word vegan is in the title of the burger. In the ingredient list it says: ..."on pita bread (vegan: whole wheat flour, honey, yeast)"... etc.

Ugh, this is why I can't trust when people say "it's vegan" and I look rude for asking "well what's in it?".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:11 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

SassyOh wrote:
Someone on Pinterest commented on a pin about the absurdity of comparing vegans to cult members. She said, "There is no such thing as a vegan." So...we're fictional creatures, like Hobbits?

I've heard people say that there is no such thing as "real vegans" because it is impossible to eliminate all animal cruelty from your lifestyle, so it's stupid to even try. "What if you step on a bug? What if you get sick and have to kill the germs in your body? What about the crepe in tires? What if you smell a steak?" Cos, you know, there's no point in trying to be as cruelty free as possible unless you can do it all the way, so we should all just give up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:16 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

annabazoo wrote:

I've heard people say that there is no such thing as "real vegans" because it is impossible to eliminate all animal cruelty from your lifestyle

i do not like when 'vegans' say this to justify eating something that may not be vegan or wearing leather or something...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:30 am 
Chip Strong

annabazoo wrote:
SassyOh wrote:

I've heard people say that there is no such thing as "real vegans" because it is impossible to eliminate all animal cruelty from your lifestyle, so it's stupid to even try. "What if you step on a bug? What if you get sick and have to kill the germs in your body? What about the crepe in tires? What if you smell a steak?" Cos, you know, there's no point in trying to be as cruelty free as possible unless you can do it all the way, so we should all just give up.

I expect that is what the commenter was trying to say, but really by that definition there's no such thing as a lot of things.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:39 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

There was a vitamin rep in the store last night with free samples of chewable vitamins, lozenges, and multivitamins that we're supposed to try so that we can talk to customers about them. I asked my vegan boss if the chews were vegan and she said they contained beeswax, but that she tried one so that she could tell customers what they taste like. I said I'd take her word for it. I mean, when I worked in the restaurant, I didn't try the meat sandwiches so that I could tell customers what they tasted like. I get that bee products may seem like a lesser degree thing for most people, but for me an animal product is an animal product. No one is perfect, but I'm not going to compromise my ethics on purpose just to tell some customer what something tastes like. I don't know, it really bothered me.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:25 am 
And you never will.

vixki wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:

Ugh, this is why I can't trust when people say "it's vegan" and I look rude for asking "well what's in it?".

Exactly! Amazingly, I actually got a message from someone at the place I mentioned above, and he thanked me for pointing it out, and said they were getting the burgers in from another local place and hadn't noticed the honey. He said he would tell them about it and change the labels. I'm really hoping they change the pita they use to make it vegan from now on, but at least they'll now be aware that honey isn't vegan and will label appropriately.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:28 am 
Chard Martyr

I listened to boss schedule a meeting with a caterer (who will be bringing food for us!) yesterday and she said "oh we have one vaygun in the group. She doesn't eat meat or milk." I mean, I do appreciate the effort, I DO!, but I'm not that excited to decline that cheese quiche I'll inevitably be offered...or the gluten-free muffins made with "farm fresh local eggs and organic honey." I'm just hoping that caterers know more about vayguns than my boss.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:30 am 
Tofu Pup

Current pet peeve: yogurt in the hummus at trendy places. Come on, it's one of two things I can eat at your establishment.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:07 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

i contacted a tattoo artist in hopes of getting new ink, i was hopeful. i asked her about ink and she said 'some of the ink is vegan, some not, set up an appointment'...i asked her 'could a vegan tattoo be had at the shop' and she basically said i need to do my own research. um, how do i know what inks they use without info? i am not going to put down a deposit/consult fee & not get my $ back when i find out that they cannot use vegan ink. shady...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:14 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

vijita wrote:
I listened to boss schedule a meeting with a caterer (who will be bringing food for us!) yesterday and she said "oh we have one vaygun in the group. She doesn't eat meat or milk." I mean, I do appreciate the effort, I DO!, but I'm not that excited to decline that cheese quiche I'll inevitably be offered...or the gluten-free muffins made with "farm fresh local eggs and organic honey." I'm just hoping that caterers know more about vayguns than my boss.

seriously? after how long you've been working there? that's crazy

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Vaygun: I vaguely understand some of your dietary restrictions. And I care enough to vaguely remember them but not enough to make more than a vague effort at vaguely accommodating you.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:39 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

When I cook something like vegan nuggets for tea and my omni partner says to my son, "Come on, eat your chicken nuggets." NO, they're NOT chicken nuggets! They're vegan nuggets, or mock chicken nuggets. I don't want my son to think I've cooked a chicken!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:08 pm 
Grandfathered In

I think it's okay for vegans to kill germs.

I mean, they're only kind of animals.

"Kind of" in the sense of "not at all."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:11 pm 

GreenDuck wrote:
annabazoo wrote:
SassyOh wrote:

I expect that is what the commenter was trying to say, but really by that definition there's no such thing as a lot of things.

Yes, I'm sure that's what she meant. I didn't respond because I had more important things to argue about on the internet. It amuses and annoys me that if I were to make an equally absurd statement like "There is no such thing as a compassionate omnivore," she would likely counter it with a screed about humane slaughter and showing gratitude to dead cows and the food chain and canine teeth or some shiitake, because only vegans are required to be perfect in all they do.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My coworker is newly vegetarian (which is awesome!) and he keeps ordering hummus sandwiches from an awesome food cart here where hummus sandwiches are clearly the most boring thing on the menu. I just want him to eat things are delicious! This is the most inane thing to drive me crazy ever.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:01 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

strawberryrock wrote:
My coworker is newly vegetarian (which is awesome!) and he keeps ordering hummus sandwiches from an awesome food cart here where hummus sandwiches are clearly the most boring thing on the menu. I just want him to eat things are delicious! This is the most inane thing to drive me crazy ever.

Spiral Diner is, of course, amazing. I once took an omnivore there, and he ordered spaghetti marinara. Makes me wonder if people are used to seeing that and hummus on menus, so it seems like the safe thing to order.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mollyjade wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

Spiral Diner is, of course, amazing. I once took an omnivore there, and he ordered spaghetti marinara. Makes me wonder if people are used to seeing that and hummus on menus, so it seems like the safe thing to order.

That's the worst!

He has ordered the stupid hummus sandwich three times now. Get the damn steak and cheese! They make their own seitan! It is legitimately making me angry. Also I have a lot of other stress in my life right now so maybe I am funneling too much emotion toward hummus sandwiches.

It's really cool that he's vegetarian now, though! It is funny to hear his trials and tribulations of discovering vegetarian food.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

strawberryrock wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

That's the worst!

He has ordered the stupid hummus sandwich three times now. Get the damn steak and cheese! They make their own seitan! It is legitimately making me angry. Also I have a lot of other stress in my life right now so maybe I am funneling too much emotion toward hummus sandwiches.

It's really cool that he's vegetarian now, though! It is funny to hear his trials and tribulations of discovering vegetarian food.

OMG I just discovered that food cart, and I can't imagine ordering the hummus sandwich. I mean, I'm sure it's great, but holy crepe. They make a veg steak 'n cheese that's as long as my forearm and as big around as my thigh.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:05 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

It could be that if they are omnivores or recently veg*n, the seitan wheaty meat tofu daiya cashew sheeze stuff might be 'different' enough from what they're used to to be off-putting and invite negative comparisons. If you have eaten a nasty gristle-n-velveeta cheesesteak (and found it reasonably delicious) in recent memory, you're probably not going to be too thrilled by something vegan that sort-of but doesn't-quite taste or appear the same. That's not to say vegan food isn't delicious, because obviously that's not what I personally think, and Jordan I totally want to eat one of those thigh-sized sandwiches with you (one each, not sharing, cause GIRL WE CAN EAT). But maybe it's akin to saying it's a bit of an acquired taste?

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 10602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386 ... 425  Next