| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388 ... 496  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I loooove sprouts and I usually buy one of those big assortment containers and then lightly saute them in a bit of oil and soy sauce. They are really flavorful!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I like Brussels sprouts but I HATE beansprouts- they certainly do have a taste. A horrible, horrible taste. Evil beansprouts.

I like cress, for the record.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:31 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I LOVE sprouts so much. And judging by Desdemona and Chiorqueer's posts I'm going to make a scientific discovery here and say that there must obviously be a link between hirsutism and the enjoyment of sprouts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:17 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

poopiebitch wrote:
This thread led to me and my husband arguing last night about whether cress and sprouts were the same thing. He says they are, because he is wrong. I say they are not, because I enjoy being right.

Cress are sprouts but sprouts are not necessarily cress. They're like squares and rectangles. And when your husband left England no-one had ever seen any kind of sprout that wasn't cress, with the exception of maybe beansprouts, which I don't count as sprouts in the US type of sprouts. So I do think there's a bit of a UK centric thing here which means you can forgive him. And I've looked at the word sprout so many times that I don't know what it is now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:27 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Wait, people call watercress Cress?

Sprouts range from delicious to deadly boring, in this order: bean sprouts, lentil sprouts, garlic sprouts, peanut sprouts, onion sprouts, broccoli sprouts, sunflower sprouts, pea shoots, mung bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts. The rest do not need mentioning in my world. Alfalfa sprouts are gross because they might look fresh when you put them in your sandwich but roughly 2 minutes later they've gone bad, and while mung bean sprouts play a huge important role in Vietnamese cuisine, the grocery store ones are hideous.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:00 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

No, watercress is watercress. Cress is mustard cress. Fundamental part of egg and cress sandwiches which I am going to make a vegan version of this weekend because I have just remembered how much I adored them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:03 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

You guys are really making me crave anything fresh and green. We can't buy sprouts here anymore, I've been considering growing my own, but I'm not sure I even have time for that.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:07 am 

vijita wrote:

No, I thought they were different and Wikipedia seems to back this up.

This is cress:

Tiny and can grow on damp tissue paper. Usually eaten in sandwiches.

This is watercress:

Slightly bigger leaves and needs more wet to grow. I think of watercress as being eaten in soup.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:07 am 

Oops, I was too slow looking it up.

And then double-posted.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:35 am 
Dead by dawn

vijita wrote:

Sprouts range from delicious to deadly boring, in this order: bean sprouts, lentil sprouts, garlic sprouts, peanut sprouts, onion sprouts, broccoli sprouts, sunflower sprouts, pea shoots, mung bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts. The rest do not need mentioning in my world. Alfalfa sprouts are gross because they might look fresh when you put them in your sandwich but roughly 2 minutes later they've gone bad, and while mung bean sprouts play a huge important role in Vietnamese cuisine, the grocery store ones are hideous.

My favorite used to be radish sprouts, but I haven't seen them in forever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:57 am 
Semen Strong

I assumed we were talking about alfalfa sprouts because of the pubic hair comparison. If your pubes look like bean sprouts you should probably see a doctor or an aesthetician.

Mmmmm bean sprouts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:41 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Stop sprout-pube shaming me!!! :'(

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:46 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh sorry! I was only kidding. All pubic hair is good pubic hair and whatever you choose to do with yours is no one's business.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:47 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Tofulish wrote:
If your pubes look like bean sprouts you should probably see a doctor or an aesthetician.

Or a publisher! Natural Harvest II!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:51 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I also hate sprouts, but really that just means alfalfa sprouts. Bean sprouts are delicious and crunchy. And I like the kinds of things sold as microgreens, which are probably just fancy sprouts.

But, for the love of God, alfalfa sprouts do not belong on Mexican food.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

allularpunk wrote:
You guys are really making me crave anything fresh and green. We can't buy sprouts here anymore, I've been considering growing my own, but I'm not sure I even have time for that.

I grow pounds of them. Trust me, you have time because it takes so little time to do. I suppose if you travel and won't be home to harvest them then you don't have time but otherwise all it takes is a jar and seeds and you can have little gardens all over your kitchen.

Huge, huge money saver to. The cost differential between buying sprouts and growing them is huge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:02 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

jordanpattern wrote:

OMG I just discovered that food cart, and I can't imagine ordering the hummus sandwich. I mean, I'm sure it's great, but holy crepe. They make a veg steak 'n cheese that's as long as my forearm and as big around as my thigh.

I am weirdly turned on by this.

My peeve for the day: my company has a luxury suite at a sports center, and I have a whole bunch of leftover tickets to a bull-riding event this weekend. I put an email out to all staff that I was giving them away, and I am disappointing by the level of excitement about this event. Stupid animal events are the WORST part of my job (but I love my job mostly except for this stuff)

Also, and this is not vegan-specific but management is asking me to give tickets to their employees, even though I do a lottery system to be 100% fair. Jesbus. I don't event give MYSELF tickets to events I want to go to. I put myself in the drawing like everyone else. And I am the events person!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:11 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Efcliz wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
This thread led to me and my husband arguing last night about whether cress and sprouts were the same thing. He says they are, because he is wrong. I say they are not, because I enjoy being right.

Cress are sprouts but sprouts are not necessarily cress. They're like squares and rectangles. And when your husband left England no-one had ever seen any kind of sprout that wasn't cress, with the exception of maybe beansprouts, which I don't count as sprouts in the US type of sprouts. So I do think there's a bit of a UK centric thing here which means you can forgive him. And I've looked at the word sprout so many times that I don't know what it is now.
Nicely and cogently put!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:28 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I grow cress in my garden rather than sprouting them - the "thickly sown rows" referenced below. I got about 8 weeks of cut & come again harvest from these two varieties. And I would consider anything with "...cress" in the name to be a type of cress, so Upland cress and Watercress too! They're all peppery members of the same family, Brassicaceae.

http://www.wildgardenseed.com/index.php ... 5f8ee7a3b4
Cress: Garden
Lepidium sativum
Fast growing peppery salad green, sprouts in 24 hrs. Whole baby plants for micro greens, or for repeated cuttings of thickly sown rows.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I keep wanting to order from sprout people to grow for the birds, but the shipping is enormous so I never order. Sprouts are supposed to be excellent for birdies. Of course, our lot probably wouldn't eat anyway, though Molly might.

The macaw is a junk food fiend. It's awful. And the tiel is a carb fiend. Molly is the only vegan, something she finds unfair.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:20 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

All this talk about sprouts. . .I used to always order sprouts on my (non-veg) Jimmy John's. . . but they don't seem to offer it anymore, according to their website. Hmm. I guess I was in the minority. I think I'd enjoy sprouts in a sandwich with a chewy protein like baked tofu or seitan. Hummus + sprouts just sounds like too much.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:56 pm 
***LIES!!!***

mollyjade wrote:
I also hate sprouts, but really that just means alfalfa sprouts. Bean sprouts are delicious and crunchy. And I like the kinds of things sold as microgreens, which are probably just fancy sprouts.

But, for the love of God, alfalfa sprouts do not belong on Mexican food.

Microgreens are what happens a week after the sprouts sprout.

I just (tonight even) planted lentils to sprout with a bunch of little kids and they're like, whoa. Then we made parsley pesto and they were again, like, whoa. I really hope their lentils sprout. I told them to wait 2-5 days for the sprouts and then if they wait another week or so they'll have microgreens, and then if they wait longer either the thing will die or something awesome will happen, but they'll have to experiment and tell me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:01 pm 
Inflexitarian

Not sure if this fits under the header of sprouts (maybe microgreens?), but in our garden this summer my partner and I horribly overplanted rutabaga and had to thin down from hundreds of sprouts to tens. No sense discarding them, so we decided to eat them all (added to a stir fry). It was one of our better decisions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:52 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

GreenDuck wrote:
Oops, I was too slow looking it up.

And then double-posted.

But those re-purposed yoghurt pots are a really nice idea. I'm tempted to start growing cress now!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:14 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

why is it so hard to believe guys can be vegan? especially brown guys!?

going to get the boyfriend a shirt that says 'i'm mexican & vegan'...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388 ... 496  Next