| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403 ... 476  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:39 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

couroupita wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
Kal wrote:
Being in a wedding party and being all excited that you get to get in line for food first. Then seeing that the only vegan option is the dinner role and green beans. But they were the best damn green beans that I had ever eaten, had a plate full of them! lol

(And I did pack a few lara bars in case that happened.)

i went to a wedding recently that was buffet style for the dinner so i didnt really think to eat before hand or bring something (not sure why, that was dumb on my part) and there was salad......that had cheese sprinkled on it......and really barely roasted vegs, like almost still raw. im not 100% sure they didnt have butter on them either.

i was hoping to just fill up on booze but all they were serving was beer and wine and i dont like either. i was hoping for a fruity cocktail to numb the empty stomach.

c'est la vie i guess!

Egads, yes. I went to my husband's best friend's wedding a few years ago and it was awful. They had the most elaborate, over the top all-day wedding and not a single thing except some olives and carrot sticks were vegan friendly. They had oysters, lobster, a massive meat buffet with people hired to carve chunks off of giant slabs of various animals. The salad was caesar, the potatoes had bacon and butter. After a day in the sun and no food I said fork it and ate a plate of buttered broccolini and a roll that I'm 99% sure wasn't vegan. I was going to faint for reals. They knew (as the SO of the best man) I was vegan and despite spending $40k on a wedding couldn't be arsed to have anything even vegetarian. Unsurprisingly, thoughtlessness was (they're no longer together) a huge issue in their relationship. And then they gave us shiitake when our wedding was all vegan. EYE ROLL.

$40K wedding! I can't even imagine!

I'm a very new vegan and I wasn't at all upset that there weren't more vegan options at the wedding I was at (They don't even know that I'm vegan yet, we don't live in the same town right now, and I don't feel that I can technically claim the label because I am still using up my non vegan personal care items, only been doing this for about 3 months). My friends also got married at a country club and they had to go with their menu. There actually wasn't a lot of food options because they were paying for their wedding and had to go with the least expensive option. I'm not even sure if the green beans were cooked in anything. The mashed potatoes were tempting but I resisted! But seriously, why does everything need cheese!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:47 pm 
WRETCHED

$40k on a wedding is something like the average cost of a wedding. I had a friend who spent way more than that and a few of my relatives have as well (it becomes difficult when your guest list is a large catholic family)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:55 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

missmuffcake wrote:
there was a mini van with a 'i love bacon' and a 'keep calm eat bacon' decal on it...really over bacon? my boyfriend and i are still puzzled over the bacon craze.

For Valentine's Day, my SIL bought my brother one of those bacon bowl thingys and a pack of bacon, and neither could understand why I didn't think it was the greatest thing ever. Never mind the fact that I've been vegan 5-ish years and was vegetarian a few years before that and have never liked bacon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:44 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Jill wrote:
oddspongeout wrote:
I was talking with a coworker. . . By this, I mean we were in the middle of a work-related conversation, when coworker randomly interrupts my thought to tell me, "you're viciously killing thousands of vegetables. Eat bacon." We weren't talking about food. We weren't talking about ethics. We were talking about training a new employee. Me pouring vanilla Silk into my coffee is NOT an invitation for annoying omnicomments.

The proper reply to this is "Hah - by eating bacon you kill at least 10x the veggies I do, because you're eating inefficiently at the top of the food chain."

Yeah, I brought that up. But he was too busy laughing at his own joke and walking back to his desk.
So there's that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:28 pm 
Grandfathered In

The proper proper way to respond to that kind of noise is simply, "That will be all. You're dismissed."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

linanil wrote:
$40k on a wedding is something like the average cost of a wedding. I had a friend who spent way more than that and a few of my relatives have as well (it becomes difficult when your guest list is a large catholic family)

Damn. That's a semester of tuition!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:39 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Mr. Shankly wrote:
linanil wrote:

!! Where do you go to school? That's a little less than my debt after 4.5 years of undergrad (which included tuition and about 50% of my living expenses).

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:50 pm 
WELFARIST!

j-dub wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
linanil wrote:

!! Where do you go to school? That's a little less than my debt after 4.5 years of undergrad (which included tuition and about 50% of my living expenses).

$40k is pretty average for college.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:58 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Mr. Shankly wrote:

Damn. That's a semester of tuition![/quote]
!! Where do you go to school? That's a little less than my debt after 4.5 years of undergrad (which included tuition and about 50% of my living expenses).[/quote]
$40k is pretty average for college.[/quote]
For a four year program, likely, but not for a semester. Unless stuff has really changed in the last decade?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:59 pm 
WRETCHED

Mr. Shankly wrote:
$40k is pretty average for college.

I don't know, when I was considering going back to school full time, the public school pricing was something like $5-$9k per semester and private schools ranged between $15-$20k per semester.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

That's pretty standard for private colleges from what I've seen, but I go to a fairly expensive public university, and even out of state tuition is only $30,000ish a year. I think instate I'm only paying around $13,000.

But yep, tuition has gone up a shiitake ton. I looked up yearly tuition cost for my school the year I was born, and it's half of what I pay a quarter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:30 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

FootFace wrote:
The proper proper way to respond to that kind of noise is simply, "That will be all. You're dismissed."

Right?!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:32 pm 
WRETCHED

Well out of state tuition is always crazy, I think university of California charges $50k year for out of state but in state is around $15k. I just can't imagine the average tuition cost being $80k/year

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:05 pm 
Cranky

Well, there's the stated tuition and the discount rate. For a lot of people at private schools, the discount rate is upwards of 50%. Tuition is around $40,000 per year at my current institution. The discount rate hovers around 60%.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:42 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

gaia13 wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
there was a mini van with a 'i love bacon' and a 'keep calm eat bacon' decal on it...really over bacon? my boyfriend and i are still puzzled over the bacon craze.

For Valentine's Day, my SIL bought my brother one of those bacon bowl thingys and a pack of bacon, and neither could understand why I didn't think it was the greatest thing ever. Never mind the fact that I've been vegan 5-ish years and was vegetarian a few years before that and have never liked bacon.

That stupid bacon bowl infomercial is on like half of the TV's at my gym at any given time. It's not fair to the grossed out vegetarians/vegans OR the omnis to show that at they gym.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:56 pm 
Dead by dawn

According to The College Board average tuition this year in the US is under $40k for a full year at a private institution.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

It must be a year then, sorry! I do know that my college was crazy expensive, though. It was definitely over $20,000 a semester.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:43 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

people who proclaim to others not to get sick they must go vegan...like 'ohhh i never get a cold - because i'm vegan'....good for forking you. i am not always sick but i know i have had a few colds here and there in the last 13 years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:06 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I'm not normally into the all inclusive vacation thing at all, but it seems like a really easy option right now when we just want to go somewhere warm and beach-y and relax until we move to Europe in a couple weeks…but it just seems like a universally bad deal for vegans. I want a vegan all inclusive resort on a nice warm beach, is that SO unreasonable? (Maybe this is a PSP…) Normally I love how I get out into residential neighborhoods and explore in search of veggie restaurants, but I just want to plop my butt on a balcony and read while people bring me veg food, without any expectation that I do yoga or spa treatments.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:32 pm 
Dead by dawn

annak wrote:
I'm not normally into the all inclusive vacation thing at all, but it seems like a really easy option right now when we just want to go somewhere warm and beach-y and relax until we move to Europe in a couple weeks…but it just seems like a universally bad deal for vegans. I want a vegan all inclusive resort on a nice warm beach, is that SO unreasonable? (Maybe this is a PSP…) Normally I love how I get out into residential neighborhoods and explore in search of veggie restaurants, but I just want to plop my butt on a balcony and read while people bring me veg food, without any expectation that I do yoga or spa treatments.

My ex and I ended up at an all-inclusive in Nassau for a day a few years ago. The lunch buffet was doable. Lots of fruit and plain-ish veggies, pasta, beans... it wasn't exciting exactly, but there was enough food to stay full. And booze, and sunshine, and a beach, and a pool... I mean, a vegan all-inclusive would be fantastic...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:33 am 
WRETCHED

A while ago, I found a place in Costa Rica that is all vegan (not beach vacation though) where you can rent bungalows and they said if you didn't want vegan food, you can haul your asparagus to town (my interpretation of it..)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:15 am 
Nooch of Earl

Neat. There's also an awesome sounding vegan place in Grenada, but we're looking at pacific destinations (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, etc.).. It sounds like each has a few nice cafes in town, but….whiiiiiiiine. I wanted to do a cruise, which of course would have its own issues, but the husband is not all "yay, at sea days in the pacific ocean" having recently had ~6 months of them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:48 am 
Nooch of Earl

Also, fork you, omnivores posting photos of filled donuts on my fb feed all day. *grump*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:12 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I walked into work to a "we brought you vegan donuts!" Which, of course, was a joke but I tried really hard not to show my pain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:15 pm 
Nooch of Earl

FIGHTIN WORDS.

There's a coffee shop near my (former, at this point?) house that has yummy donuts but they are basically glazed cake donuts, no filled ones or whatever, and…I would try vegan paczki. But no one has offered me any.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403 ... 476  Next