| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Job hunting sucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have a question, maybe you wise ones can help me. I had an interview last Wednesday. The guy told me that he wanted to hire me, but that he couldn't really say that because he wasn't supposed to tell me that. He said that he'd pass along to HR that he wanted me and they would contact me by the end of the week or the beginning of the next week (so between last Friday and last Tuesday) to initiate all the getting hired stuff. I was going on vacation for a week, and told him I'd be back today, but he made it seem like HR would contact me before I got home.

I never got a call or email from HR. Should I contact the manager who interviewed me? Or should I just assume something changed and I didn't get the job and leave it alone?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:05 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

I'm looking for jobs I can do whilst re-sitting some exams so I can apply for uni. I've been searching for months and have nothing so far.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:51 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

bathsheba wrote:
I have a question, maybe you wise ones can help me. I had an interview last Wednesday. The guy told me that he wanted to hire me, but that he couldn't really say that because he wasn't supposed to tell me that. He said that he'd pass along to HR that he wanted me and they would contact me by the end of the week or the beginning of the next week (so between last Friday and last Tuesday) to initiate all the getting hired stuff. I was going on vacation for a week, and told him I'd be back today, but he made it seem like HR would contact me before I got home.

I never got a call or email from HR. Should I contact the manager who interviewed me? Or should I just assume something changed and I didn't get the job and leave it alone?

Calling is a good idea. You could ask if you're still being considered for the position, reiterate your interest, thank him for the opportunity to interview, etc. Full disclosure, I do not take my own advice, I just sit around feeling bitter and wondering why they never called.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

bathsheba wrote:

I would contact the manager. Maybe the HR people decided to wait until after you returned from vacation. If for some reason you didn't get the job, at least you won't be left wondering.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

bathsheba wrote:

Always call! I've gotten tons of second interviews and have gotten hired (partially) because I called to check on my application/interview.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:32 am 
Level 7 Vegan

bathsheba wrote:

Yes, give the guy a polite call. If they already decided not to give you the job, your call won't change anything on their side and you'll know, and if they're just running behind they may put your file back on the top of the pile. The only way calling could hurt is if you're a jerk on the phone, try to force their hand or hurry them up for your convenience, which I'm sure you won't do!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:00 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I've been having so many problems finding a job lately as well. Given, I've only been looking about a month or so. Hopefully I can find something soon. :/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:07 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

If you are looking for an administrative assistant-type position and going through craigslist, you might find this NPR story helpful (depressing, but helpful). Sadly, the job market is very competitive.

"After a fruitless job search — endlessly scanning Monster.com and Craigslist and tweaking resumes and cover letters — he grew more curious about his competitors. So he created a fake Craigslist ad for an administrative assistant position and, in one day, received 653 responses from applicants with a wide range of education and experience. He wrote about what he learned from the applicants for Thought Catalog."

LINK: http://www.npr.org/2012/08/01/157723695 ... ompetition

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:08 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner, I don't have a very reliable internet connection!

It sucks that so many of you guys are in the same position as me. I hope everyone who is job hunting at the moment finds something soon! I know deep down that it's not just me and the job market is crazy right now. It's just that other people I know don't seem to be having this problem, my brother lost his job last week, applied for a job on Monday and was offered it today. He had good news from the first job he applied for. I have been applying for anything for almost a year now and don't even hear back about most of them. I'm happy for him obviously, I just feel so unlucky

The problem I seem to be having is that I have ten years experience in the finance industry. All the jobs I am going for in that sector are coming back and saying my previous job was too senior for what they are looking for, although I don't care what level I go back in at, my last job title and salary is starting to become a bit of a problem and I am being overlooked for jobs that I can do and have done before based on this. One agency has suggested possibly changing my CV a little, to make my previous job sound like more of a junior role but I am afraid I will be found out if I do get the job and they ask for a reference. The only jobs I am getting interviews for is the same as what I was doing at my last job, not many of them are coming up. And when they do obviously they are getting a lot of applicants.

I don't think I am even being considered for other types of jobs. I have applied for at so many shops, bars, restaurants and I don't even hear back from them. I am registered with all the agencies on the island and all my friends have handed in my CV at work. I have been applying for part time jobs just to bring in something but again no luck with any of them. We have a holiday coming up, Florida in November. It was paid for before I lost my job, and it makes sense to go otherwise we will lose the money but in my head I can't justify the spending money we will need. And of course I have had a few people make comments about the fact that we are managing to go on holiday when we have had to say no to nights out and stuff because we can't really afford it. I'm just stressing about everything right now!

I hope things start to look up for everyone, and good luck to anyone who is looking for a job right now

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:04 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I am employed now, but still under-employed. It's less stressful and yet more stressful at the same time. I still can't make ends meet and I'm stuck in what might be another dead end part time retail job, because that's all I've ever done and I can't seem to break out of that cycle. I'm just planning to work my booty off and try to get into management while my partner works 50 hours a week.

eta: I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I really like my job and the company and I'm so happy to be working again. I just hope it's a stepping stone to more awesome opportunities.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:09 am 
Huffs Nooch

I don't think you sound ungrateful at all, I really hope it leads somewhere for you!