| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Daily cleaning time
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:59 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Huh. I feel like pig pen from the peanuts cartoons now.

Well, I live with my partner, and we have 2 black cats, in a small condo. One weekend day is devoted to cleaning. Together we spend 1-2 hours cleaning. Add an extra hour once a month to do the patio/yard, windows, and a good mop (we have laminate fake wood floors).

Daily...not so much. We have a deal. I cook, he cleans. I try to clean as I go along, so about 10-15 minutes per night he spends on dishes. I will take about 5 minutes while he is doing that to pick up a bit, empty the dishwasher before he starts cleaning. But unless we are having people over during the week, we just try to keep tidy to avoid daily cleaning.

So I would say 15 minutes daily? but that is almost exclusively dishes.

Laundry? that's another story. Meh. I hate doing laundry.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:59 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

acr wrote:
i'm so glad there are other people who don't clean every day. i honestly didn't know there were people who did; true facts. the first handful of posts made me feel like such a bum. but i also don't consider things like washing dishes to be "cleaning"; dishes are their own horrible thing. cleaning = tidying/mopping/tile scrubbing in my mind.

Yeah, dishes I do once a day, but other cleaning... not so much.

I suspect that people who clean every day are also people who are not ashamed to have people over. I am neither. A friend of mine once said "dust is a noun, not a verb". That kind of describes my MO.

Tofulish, thanks for posting that flylady link. I will definitely be checking that out!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

I spend about thirty minutes one day and maybe close to an hour the next. The difference is that every other day, I sweep my whole apartment which takes about twenty extra minutes on top of my regular daily routine. My daily tasks are: make bed, clean litter boxes and cat dishes (clean cat dishes twice a day i.e., with each feed), rinse my food dishes and put in dishwasher after every meal and wipe kitchen counters and then every other day include sweeping the whole apartment. That said, I LOATHE cleaning and rarely ever deep clean. I feel like cleaning is a big waste of time and resent it and my goal is just to keep things presentable because it helps my mood when my apartment's clean (if it's a big mess, I get depressed) and also, in case someone comes to the door, I'm not totally ashamed to let them in, sort of thing.

When my bathroom starts lookin skanky, I'll scrub the sink, toilet and bathtub which takes about twenty minutes, but that's no daily thing just whenevs I can't live in my own filth any longer and every month or so, I'll mop all the floors in my apartment after sweeping. I'm no clean freak though, I just stay on top of stuff, really.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:55 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Tofulish wrote:
Have you ever checked out Flylady? Its a really cute system to do little cleaning tasks that help you manage your house in minimal time. It seems goofy but it works!
http://www.flylady.net/

Apartment Therapy did something like that too.

I feel like I clean all the time, but that is because I live with 2 cats that shed like they're trying to reproduce asexually, a dog, a child that eats by flinging food across the room and an awesome husband who does all the vacuuming. But we never seem to have time to deepclean the bathroom or dust.

Unfuck Your Habitat is like fly lady without the religion and the assumption that you're the female part of a healthy, traditional nuclear family. Lots of talk about the things that keep people from cleaning (depression, anxiety, chronic diseases, and just plain laziness). Also, lots of cussing and gifs.

http://unfuckyourhabitat.tumblr.com/

I have a calendar with different tasks on it that I try to follow. It includes laundry, litter boxes, sweeping, tidying of various parts of the house, cleaning out the car (once a month), dealing with mail and filing (once a month), and whatever other cleaning tasks I'm currently tackling (right now it's the fridge, one shelf at a time). Husband does the dishes (in theory), and a cleaning service comes twice a month to do bathrooms and floors. Things are repeated often enough that if I miss a day, I just let it go until the next time. That way I'm not feeling like a jerk for missing a day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:15 pm 
Married to the wolfman

SV, I hate cleaning too and likewise, I mostly only do it because super messy house = depression for me.

In a given day I usually: put some stuff in the dishwasher, pick up toys, sweep the kitchen (the only room that the children are allowed to eat in, for good reason), wipe down counters (maybe), fold the blankets that somehow end up strewn everywhere in my house, hang up bath towels.

Laundry is probably my least favorite chore. Laundry, the eternal timesink.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My daily chores are cooking, dishes, and prepping lunches for the following day. Other than that I don't clean during the week. We clean on the weekends. Bathroom, laundry, floors, defuzzing, and just general tidying. It takes a few hours to do everything other than laundry which is an all day process. But I get to lounge in between flipping loads over and I can fold while I watch tv from the couch.

We split the chores in our house. It's me and hubs and three cats. If I could figure out how to get the cats to pitch in we would be gold!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:50 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

mollyjade wrote:
Unfuck Your Habitat is like fly lady without the religion and the assumption that you're the female part of a healthy, traditional nuclear family. Lots of talk about the things that keep people from cleaning (depression, anxiety, chronic diseases, and just plain laziness). Also, lots of cussing and gifs.

http://unfuckyourhabitat.tumblr.com/

Ooh! Also great! Thanks for posting this!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:55 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

agreed. i just downloaded the app. <3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You guys make me feel like slobs. I feel like the cleaning is neverending around here. I could do dishes all day long, but as far as vacuuming and dusting and that sort of thing, I should probably do it a couple times a week, but I end up doing it more like a couple times a month. We have two cats, a longish haired dog, and three humans, one of which doesn't do any cleaning beyond occasionally putting his own dishes in the dishwasher.

Our house isn't disgusting, but I would love to live in one of those houses where everything is in its place and there isn't a speck of dust or hair on any surface, but it's just not realistic for us. It's definitely not a priority when there are so many other things I'd rather be doing with my time.

Edit: Actual answer to the question, probably 15 minutes? Mostly dishes. Sometimes longer if I'm doing the big stuff like laundry or surface cleaning.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:06 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Oh, trust me, I wasn't cleaning daily before and I feel like that's how I ended up here. At rock bottom. Always texting people to call me before they come over so I can meet them outside before they see how I live.

It actually wasn't too bad cleaning on just the one day a week that I did it, but then we lost power for a few days so I didn't clean at all and it downward spiraled.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Probably like 20 minutes, which isn't really allocated cleaning time but just doing stuff as I go like loading and unpacking the dishwasher, wiping down the kitchen, putting stuff back where it goes and picking up miscellaneous dog debris. Dusting and scrubbing stuff gets done as I notice that it's needed, which is probably every couple of weeks. My bedroom is pretty much constantly a mess because I try on like four outfits every morning before I decide on one, and I never have time in the morning to put things back on coathangers- but I'm trying to get better about this.

I'm a pretty slovenly twenty-something and I fully anticipate that when I eventually have a kid the lifestyle change is going to destroy me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:21 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

You guys are making me feel gross! I Hoover/dust when it gets too gross...probably 3 or 4 times a year. I sweep the kitchen/lounge floor about once every 2-3 weeks. I try to change the sheets once a month but realistically it's more like every 2. I probably clean the bathroom once a month.

We have a dishwasher & we put that on every night & laundry gets done once a week.

I consider our house to be pretty tidy, I wipe down the kitchen work surfaces & floof the couch cushions a couple of times a day & last week I cleaned the fridge!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:23 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I live as the only human with two sheddy cats. I probably spend 20 mins per day cleaning during the week - usually just dishes, making the bed, and doing the litterbox. On the weekends I usually spend an extra hour one day to do the bathroom and vacuum and do a bit of decluttering. I only do laundry every 3 weeks or so because I have to go up the street and I am super lazy :p Also I honestly don't think I have ever dusted.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:31 pm 
Dead by dawn

I used to be a pretty bad slob and never had people over as a consequence. When I bought my house I changed my ways and tried to keep it 15-30 minutes from visitor-ready at all times. I was probably putting in an average of 20 minutes a day to keep it that way. The last several months have been consumed with triathlon training and things have slid downhill some. Except for keeping on top of dishes and swiffering the floors (a necessity with a dog and a cockatiel and wood floors) I have lots of days with no cleaning time. BUT. I am inspired by this thread to do a major cleaning over the course of this week so I am back in maintenance mode. I started with the yard last night and will do the first floor tonight and work my way up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:24 pm 
Chip Strong

Currently, its just me and the dog in our house. I do about 30 mins a day cleaning. Putting dishes in the dishwasher, wiping the counters, sweeping the downstairs where most of the dog hair is, making the bed, popping a load or two in the laundry.

Once a week the house gets really cleaned: sweeping and mopping (a BIG job in this house, no carpet, concrete floors, 3 levels) dusting, vacuuming the furniture, cleaning the bathrooms/toilets, changing the sheets, washing the all the towels/linens, wiping the glass and windows. It takes me about 4 hours to clean the whole house but it's pretty big (3 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms) so sometimes I skip the less used/messy rooms, like the office, and alternate cleaning the bathrooms on a 2 week cycle. Like seitanicverses, having a messy house effects my mood and I like having a "visitor ready" home.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:07 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I spend at least an hour a day, and still don't really have a clean house, so I don't know how it is possible. Probably 20 min. dishes, picking up clothes and items left around the house, taking out compost and cleaning its bin, sweep, make bed, clean counters and other parts of kitchen, etc. I'm cleaning up after myself, one other person and two cats, which make the cleaning be much worse if the one of them who tends to ends up peeing on something... But cleaning the bathroom happens not too often, and mopping the kitchen needs to happen more than once a month as it does now, cause its always filthy. I just like to at least have the floor swept and clean kitchen for surprise people coming over.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:32 pm 
And you never will.

I meant to say, in addition to about an hour a day, I do a big clean once a week. I guess I was only thinking about the daily stuff because of the post title. Anyway, once a week I do probably an additional 3-4 hours of things I don't get to during the rest of the week.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm at home with Husband (who works from home mostly) and my 8yo and 4yo who are homeschooled. On one hand I think my house should be neater because I'm home all day but the reality is it gets messier because of the kids doing stuff, Husband leaving computer guts all over the house, me using the kitchen table as a dumping ground, etc.

I used to write up a list of chores every morning. By the end of the day I'd only ticked off a few so I felt worse. What helped was allocating certain jobs to certain days, this helped me feel I was getting some control. I vacuum almost every day because the kitchen floor gets disgusting with crumbs and stuff.

Another system I want to implement is setting a timer for 20mins in the morning, where everyone has a list of jobs to do in that 20 minutes.

So because I'm home a fair bit, I just clean as I go along. If i was working away from home and had limited time, I'd probably write out everything that needs to be done and break it up in to manageable lots.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:55 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I clean about an hour every day including the dishes. I live with three humans (husband and his two messy boys), my dog and four cats. Needless to say I could totally be a stay at home cleaning lady, so many forking dishes, hair, litter, laundry etc. Luckily I only work three days a week so on one day off I do a big grocery haul, laundry (about twice a week) and my husband vacuums the entire house. Bathrooms we try to keep tidy by wiping things down once a day (ugh, men and their inability to not splatter all over the toilet). We only vacuum once a week which is probably not enough with that big a household, but we do sweep the kitchen once a day. I used to only dust when I moved into a place, so really just once every other year or so, but now that we bought a house I am afraid I can't stick to that motto anymore. The things I loathe the most as far as cleaning tasks are vacuuming and dusting. I like laundry and I'm ashamed to admit I "collect" detergent. I love all the different green brand s and smells etc. It's a sad hobby, I know.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:21 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I am ashamed to say that I do no cleaning at all apart from washing up the odd dish; my flatmate does it all.
(In my defence, I do cook the majority of our evening meals)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:01 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have to say, the older I got, and the nicer places I live, the cleaner I keep it.

Child: Disaster
Teen: Room was biohazard
College: ew
20's with roommates: still pretty gross
20's with partner in a shitty apartments: better, but still messy most of the time
30's with partner in a nice condo: Not bad! I have been living here 2.5 years, so it has gotten past the 'new place, gotta keep it nice' phase and we still keep it looking pretty good.

Oh, and I never, EVER want carpet again. With pets, carpet is hard to keep clean. Even if I am lazy and don't sweep, cat hair seems to accumulate in the corners and I at least have the appearance of a clean floor most of the time haha.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:52 pm 

torque wrote:
supercarrot wrote:
do you have a furminator?

well, i had to google it, so no. never seen anything like it- looks like a wool carder? maybe next time i'm up north i'll go looking but down here, not a chance.

it's 95% off at amazon today. (and has shipping to select countries outside the US. i don't know which ones)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001S2R73M/ref ... Hqb1BM9BDC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:58 pm 

supercarrot wrote:
torque wrote:
supercarrot wrote:

well, i had to google it, so no. never seen anything like it- looks like a wool carder? maybe next time i'm up north i'll go looking but down here, not a chance.

it's 95% off at amazon today. (and has shipping to select countries outside the US. i don't know which ones)

ARGH! I just ordered one off of Amazon last week.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:12 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

supercarrot wrote:
torque wrote:
supercarrot wrote:

I ordered this, and they sent me two. Two furminators for $3.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:38 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Chicki wrote:
Oh, and I never, EVER want carpet again. With pets, carpet is hard to keep clean. Even if I am lazy and don't sweep, cat hair seems to accumulate in the corners and I at least have the appearance of a clean floor most of the time haha.

THIS. I hate carpet. We have the first house with carpeting after several places with hardwood floors throughout (with a brief interlude of 6 months with a half-carpeted place). I feel like I can never really get the floors fully clean, I've rented a steam cleaner a couple times since I moved in 3 months ago and it could use another steam cleaning.. we had a flea incident that would've been much easier to deal with sans carpeting. Ugh. Hate the stuff.

I couldn't tell you exactly how much time we spend cleaning. If it were spread more evenly, maybe 30 min/day? That's picking up after a baby, husband, and me.