| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Experiences with scams - woe stories and close calls
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:40 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

bunniee wrote:
I'm picturing a panda walking to the post office mailbox - cookie in one hand, envelopes in the other. Panda gets to mailbox, realizes both hands are full, and must eat cookie before she can open the slot and drop in her envelopes.

More cookies!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:29 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

pandacookie wrote:
bunniee wrote:
I'm picturing a panda walking to the post office mailbox - cookie in one hand, envelopes in the other. Panda gets to mailbox, realizes both hands are full, and must eat cookie before she can open the slot and drop in her envelopes.

More cookies!

This image is adorable. I can go to bed happy now, dreaming of pandas eating cookies and mailing lovely things.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I feel like I could write a book about all the scams I've seen between my loss prevention years and my current job. I used to catch a lot of ticket-switchers, but the best one had to be the lady who changed UPCs on approximately $1200 of stuff down to $300. It would have been even less if the Calphalon cookware hadn't rung up correctly. The lady even tried to argue with the cashier that the cookware should be cheaper, but stopped; probably because she didn't want to push her luck. After I got her in the office she played dumb, then said "I paid what I could." I told her it didn't quite work that way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

pandacookie wrote:
I think that's somewhat common with goods and services. Someone will complain, loudly, rudely and repeatedly to get something that is just fine for free.

I work in a grocery store and this happens every day. They try and complain loudly, embarass the clerk, even cursing and making a comotion just to get something free or cheaper. Even just a few cents sometimes. It's really bad because the management tells us one thing (don't give them anything, follow policy) but when they're called to confront the person they give in and act like the clerk was in the wrong. Anything to keep customers, even scammers, unfortunately.

When I cashiered I had a woman try the quick-change bill switch thing, but she was really bad, and whenever she handed me something else to change I'd finish it and shut the til. I think I confused her more than she tried to confuse me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

The "Nigerian" scams really bother me, we have a MoneyGram in our store and their are two or three older customers that come in weekly, WEEKLY, and send money to people in Africa. One woman says that it's not a scam, her son's a police officer and wouldn't let anything happen to her. I wonder if he even knows she's sending money to a 'motivational speaker/writer'. And she sends it to more than one name in different locations for some reason. She used to send to one country but they were blocked, so now she sends it to another one. She also said she was sending money to a nephew because he needed new papers, and they lost the money so she had to send more. Sometimes she send the money, comes back and has to redo it because it was sent 'incorrectly' the first time. More than likely the person was flagged and couldn't recieve it anymore so they had to pick a different person.

Wow, I'm rambling tonight! I sometimes hate retail because you get both ends, people going after you and people being scammed by others.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:30 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

eatsbabies wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
bunniee wrote:

More cookies!

This image is adorable. I can go to bed happy now, dreaming of pandas eating cookies and mailing lovely things.

pandacare to Germany. cookie in paw.

Panda With Cookie