| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i help run a charity raffle to benefit child's play
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:15 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

(in case you come upon this post in 2013 or later, scroll down. :-) i'll use this single post going forward.) all recent posts will be added to http://www.8bitbrigade.com/philanthropy so it'll always be current. each year the raffle runs the whole month of october, and the event is held the last weekend of the month. FYI.
read more about childs play at http://childsplaycharity.org and while you're there, check out 8BB's logo in their silver sponsors section! (!!!)

OK, now on to the post:
hey you guys! the 2012 raffle page is up, and prizes that you might be interested in are a copy of vegan sandwiches save the day (thanks tamasin) and a batch of sugar cookies from poopiebitch. also, eppy is offering 3 signed copies of his dread RPG.

this year we have tons of crafters that donated. you might want to check out the pikachu apron. there's also a pong handbag. lots of doctor who stuff, a clyde beanie (or sue if you prefer) a Q-bert plushie, a very large painting of mario and luigi, a gift certificate to topatoco (MBMBAM/webcomics merch), cards against humanity, a full sized replica of the portal gun!! and way more.
there's seriously an amazing amount of prizes in the pool this year. i haven't even skimmed the surface with this tiny measly list here. every dollar helps. <3 we have had people in the past who donated only a dollar or two win some great prizes, so don't feel like you need to donate a lot. (i mean, a lot would be great, but a dollar is good too)
http://www.8bitbrigade.com/ChildsPlay2012

we made a video if you want to see the pikachu apron in action.

i posted it on reddit, but i don't think the folks in r/gaming like it very much. :-/ it seems for each upvote, it gets another downvote. i guess i'll try again tomorrow in r/charity.
here's the one in gaming if you want to help today, but stuff in there moves so quickly! http://redd.it/10toc3 (we're getting downvotes. who downvotes a charity raffle? it's so discouraging.)

***late breaking news*** we are getting something from harvard common press. i assume it's fresh from the vegan slow cooker since it JUST came out. *fingers crossed*

Post subject: Re: i help run a charity raffle to benefit child's play
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:24 pm 

whoah!!! harvard common press is offering 3 sets of fresh from the vegan slow cooker and vegan planet!! yay!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:05 am 

i'm promoting it on reddit if anyone wants to help. http://redd.it/10zwki

(the success of the raffle is wholly dependent on how many people are aware of it. every year, i'm terrified that it'll be a disappointment. it takes up a whole 2 months of my life, and honestly a few thousand dollars doesn't seem worth it for all of the effort put out by gramps and i, AND all of the sponsors. and then i see other fundraisers that are way more successful, and i have no idea what we're doing wrong. it's pretty depressing.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:37 am 

new additions: you don't know jack t-shirts, halo stuff (including a RC airplane signed by the team)

other things that are rare are 2 trade show exclusive castle crashers figurines and signed hardcover copy of "The Art of Quantum Conundrum" (only about 20 copies in existence)

we're 1/3 of the way in and only have 18% of our goal. if you can't afford tickets, we'll be having a sharing thing via twitter where we'll pick some random tweeters to win some raffle tickets. it might be pointless though we've already had some high-profile people post about it, and it hasn't come to much. it just seems like nobody can afford to donate this year. (i wish we would have known that before we started contacting all the sponsors)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:06 am 
A Bad Person

For anyone that's on the fence, I want to say that MBM and I have been donating to this raffle for the past three(? four?) years and we always end up with a box full of awesome stuff!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:34 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Thanks for the reminder! I think Child's Play a great organization! I just donated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:27 pm 

yay!!! <3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:46 am 

the sharing contest is up. you can enter once for each facebook and twitter. <3
http://www.8bitbrigade.com/content.php? ... ok-Contest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:35 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Paul and Storm retweeted you. Neato!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:53 am 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Paul and Storm retweeted you. Neato!

yay!!! (but still no new donations. i think this year might be a bust. blergh. i feel bad for all the sponsors. if they had each individually sold their items and donated the proceeds directly to CP, it would have gotten them way more money than our measly 1,500.)

anyone else who sees this, i never explained that the sharing contest linked to below can get you 5 free raffle tickets, a copy of wreckateer and a halo 4 concept art theme for the xbox. it ends tomorrow, so if you were going to share, share soon. (not like the exposure from paul and storm, the elder scrolls, playdek, drinkbox, random, jellyvision, airtight, swing swing submarine, coatsink, ocean marketting(good guy greg) and child's play themselves isn't great, but maybe people would be more receptive to their friends tweeting (and facebooking) about it than people they don't directly know. i just don't know what to do. last year we had the benefit of skyrim being brand spanking new and halo waypoint giving an avatar item for each $1 donated... but we did get a lot of $1 donations, so people just weren't in the spirit of it... or the economy i suppose.

this year we're coming directly off the heels of a mario marathon, so that reduces the pool of people who might have otherwise donated.

p.s. big huge shoutouts to MBM and brian (<3) you guys are always so good to us. *warm fuzzies*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:47 am 

last week to donate. (and we're only at 33% of our goal) this'll be the last bump i make. i promise.

i'll reiterate some of the more awesome prizes. there are 60+ sponsors, so i won't go into much detail, but there's:
a big boo quilt,
a very large mario+luigi painting,
3 sets of Cards Against Humanity,
6 copies of Rock Band Blitz (each with 10 or 11 sets of DLC. depending on your system),
15 copies of Wreckateer,
the collector's edition of Skyrim (with dragon statue)
a full sized portal gun replica,
a signed hardcover copy of the art of quantum conundrum (one of only 20 in existence!!!)
and a ton of handmade items including:
a handbag made to look like a pong screen,
and a few Doctor Who inspired items. (river song journal, dalek pint glass)

and the vegan items as listed above.

http://www.8bitbrigade.com/ChildsPlay2012

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:53 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Don't apologize! If you make a tweet of what vegan books you can win to the VeganMoFo twitter, I will retweet it!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:07 am 

i'll tell scott to tweet them today. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:10 am 

i lied. :-)

36 hours left.

the holidays are coming up, surely you might have someone on your list that would appreciate video games or nerdy themed items, yes? (3 sets of vegan cookbooks isn't a shabby prize either.) and we always have a thread afterwards where you can trade prizes you've won. so it's not just a crapshoot. you can still get a specific item if you don't dilly-dally on the trading.

and if you have nerds on your social media friends list, here are links to different posts that you can share. <3

https://twitter.com/8BBCharity/status/2 ... 5447219201
https://www.facebook.com/supercarrot/po ... 8812427438
(or https://www.facebook.com/vegancoupons/p ... 1376600185 if you want to hide it behind a share for a coupon for earth balance.)
https://plus.google.com/116922573014688 ... HwFkwN7mad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:58 am 

I actually got the most retweets about it when I said that if people didn't retweet it I was going to tell everyone that they hate kids with cancer.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:15 pm 

i don't have the sass to pull that off. :-) (scott on the other hand...)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:44 pm 

It helps if you're consistently a facetious crasshole, people don't expect much out of you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:57 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

It might be a bit late to mention this now, but there are a lot of people on this board who aren't in the US - saying in a more prominent place that most of the prizes are available to everyone in the world might help, even if we can't win all the prizes.

I think it's incredibly generous that you're not taking any money out of the pot to cover postage. Have you actually done the calculations? Personally, if I win something good I'd be happy to send a contribution towards the postage because I know it costs a lot to send to the UK from the USA.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Um, I've just realised how patronising that sounded about the postage. I didn't mean it to.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:35 pm 

oh no, your generosity is very welcome. (i remember one year we had a person in australia that donated $1, and then won an incredibly heavy/large prize. that was a very sad day. and hence why we are limiting some of the prizes to the US this year.)

i honestly don't want a repeat, so if folks outside of the US see that they are able to win the majority of prizes themselves, that's good. but i kind-of don't want to advertise the fact. you know? (i feel bad about it, but we're a small community with limited funds, and it adds up.)

we do have regular donators/winners outside the US who are happy to accept a digital prize, but i know not everyone is willing to do that, and i don't want to be so rude as to suggest it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:11 pm 

5 hours left to donate. join us as we play some video games to count down the hours.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/childsplay8bb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:29 pm 

IT IS MY GOD DAMNED BIRTHDAY AND I DEMAND YOU forkers DONATE A FEW BUCKS

Please.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:11 pm 

<3