| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: US elections - 2012
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:38 pm 
A Bad Person

celyn wrote:
I am so not a fan of Paul Ryan, but I hate when people make fun of looks on either side. It's not relevant!

Agreed. So let's keep that to an absolute minimum.

Anyway, for those of you already in panic mode, soothe yourself (or infuriate yourself, depending on what outcome you wanted) by looking over these statistical analyses of polls!

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/ - Vastly popular, Nate Silver's election forecast.
http://election.princeton.edu/ - Maybe not as popular, but more open about how they get their numbers, Sam Wang's forecast.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:51 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't think I've voted on these crappy paper ballots in 10yrs. The feeder machines were slow and spit my ballot out twice. Also, everybody working there gets to see and read your ballot since you make big blue marks on a giant sheet of paper. Do. Not. Like.

Also, my dad voted for Allen. I am so disgusted with him right now. Gah. I don't know know what the fizzle his problem is. His politics have taken a weird turn over the past two years. We used to agree on most stuff. Now we can't even have a civil discussion. We went to the polling place in separate vehicles!

Oh well. Civic duty done. Now to hope.

(I'm in a bisque-y mood. Is cold. I had to stand in line. The accessible parking spots were blocked by crassholes putting up Obama signs so I also had to walk from the parking lot and up some stairs. Not the end of the world until I was on my way out after standing for 10 minutes. Negotiating stairs after the right side of my body has gone numb is not fun. I bitched at them on my way by. Everyone in this area is Romney; being jerks isn't helping!)

Hrmph. I knew I should have gone to Starbucks for a gingerbread latte.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:33 am 
Semen Strong

I know that everyone is saying that POOTUS is going to win, but I remember when people said that Gore was definitely going to beat Bush. I worry about turn-out post-Sandy - even in 2008 it was only 61.8%, and now with so many areas without power and long lines for early voting, the voter ID laws and the usual systemic repression of traditional poor and minority voters, I really do feel like this could go horribly wrong.

But how hilarious would it be if turn out was 47% and Obama won?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:48 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

brian wrote:
celyn wrote:
I am so not a fan of Paul Ryan, but I hate when people make fun of looks on either side. It's not relevant!

does that include making fun of stupid poses?

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:56 am 
Discovered unobtainium

It does sound like a lot of measures are being taken to help Sandy victims vote. I hope this is really the case. I saw somewhere that the national guard is helping to set up temporary stations that will bring voting to people instead of voters having to figure out how to navigate around.

The email and fax voting should help people who left the state.

We will see how well this all works. I'm really expecting a strong turnout. I have a feeling that this will make people more determined to vote any way that they can.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:03 am 
ugh

Romney & friends are gathering at the convention center very near my office today. I hope they'll stay over there, I am just not in the mood for people waving signs around for that guy.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
brian wrote:
celyn wrote:

does that include making fun of stupid poses?

I agree on avoiding nearly all appearance-based commentary; I hate when people scrutinize someone for a really unflattering candid photo, criticize clothing/hair, or make fun of skin color (all the people who called Boehner orange), but I think the decision to have a professional photo shoot that make you look like a jackass is fair game.

Anyway, on voting, I procrastinated and now I have to go today. I always hate it because my polling place is tiny and I think there may be like one other liberal somewhere in our voting precinct. Maybe. And the ballot-eating machine is right by the door where people wait, so I'm convinced that one day some overly enthusiastic tea-party type is going to shoot me or something before I can feed my ballot in. Then run away with my daughter and raise her as an uber conservative...maybe I should not ever be allowed to think about anything ever again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:47 am 
Semen Strong

lavawitch wrote:
I'm really expecting a strong turnout. I have a feeling that this will make people more determined to vote any way that they can.

I don't know. I couldn't have manage to vote before our power came back. My friends who lost their homes are still without power so no voting by email or fax and they need the daylight to take care of basic needs, because its pitch black after 7.

And even PPKers have posted that they don't have all day to stand in line bc they have to go to work, care for kids, etc. And one PPKer was fighting to vote by mail bc her polling place isn't accessible to her, but having a very hard time.

Our voting system disenfranchises the working poor, those with physical challenges (as you know) and women, basically anyone who can't spare a few hours on one day between 6am and 8pm to stand in line for hours and then cast a ballot that we're told doesn't really count and maynot be read right. And the voter suppression tactics against the urban poor are really gross, esp the intimidation and voter purging.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:50 am 
Semen Strong

Also have you seen this?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:52 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Went to vote early this morning with my spouse and got into a weird conversation with the election judges about how we have different last names but are married. So shocking and confusing! She must have started suspecting that weirdoes like us were going to vote Democratic. Then I did my clown voting; filling in huge ovals on an oversized ballot. I understand it's really big so that everyone can read it clearly, but it always looks like some sort of comedy prop ballot to me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:58 am 
WRETCHED

Tofulish wrote:
Our voting system disenfranchises the working poor, those with physical challenges (as you know) and women, basically anyone who can't spare a few hours on one day between 6am and 8pm to stand in line for hours and then cast a ballot that we're told doesn't really count and maynot be read right. And the voter suppression tactics against the urban poor are really gross, esp the intimidation and voter purging.

No kidding, which is why I'm glad to see early voting was an option in some places (including MD). I looked into the process of voting by mail but seemed to be too much of a hassle so I didn't even try.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:10 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I voted for the first time today! I feel so special. Now we wait.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:10 am 
Semen Strong

It was easy in NJ. Basically we had a really tight Dem primary, so volunteers gave out forms for mail-in voter registration and we got ours with no hassle. I voted about 6 weeks ago, thank goodness :)

I can't imagine juggling a baby that gets antsy on a line that is long, with having no power, shelter,food etc and the very basic necessities that others are dealing with right now. After a natural disaster, voting feels less critical than just getting by one more day.

And a lot of the crews up fixing our area are here from out of state - the PSE&G crew that gave us power yesterday was up from Florida. There is no way that they are working around the clock and voting and for all those guys are doing, it sucks that we are disenfranchising them. Voting is important dammit! Why not make sure it can be representative?

eta:: Yay GCZ!

Last edited by Tofulish on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:14 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

GymClassZero wrote:
I voted for the first time today! I feel so special. Now we wait.

Congratulations and good for you! I remember the first time I voted I felt really silly, like I didn't belong in the voting booth. Anyway, I'm way over that now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:22 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

so i'm not going to be able to vote this year because i didn't get my act together before the deadline for overseas voters. fork me. so now all i can do is make fun of Paul Ryan's jock photoshoot and bite my nails down to tiny stubs.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:23 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Tofulish wrote:
And a lot of the crews up fixing our area are here from out of state - the PSE&G crew that gave us power yesterday was up from Florida. There is no way that they are working around the clock and voting and for all those guys are doing, it sucks that we are disenfranchising them. Voting is important dammit! Why not make sure it can be representative?

they're allowed to vote. my friend got this e-mail (i am assuming it means first responders who are not from new jersey. i guess PSE&G employees aren't first responders, but maybe they count.):

"In an effort to ensure that everyone has access (to vote) as a result of the recent storm the following options are available to those who are being sheltered away from home and to those first responders who are away from home.

1. You may vote provisionally at any polling place in the state – note this should be your last resort as you will only be able to vote for statewide candidates and on the questions

2. You may apply for a vote by mail ballot via email or by fax until 5:00 pm on Tuesday - note if you vote this way you will be able to vote the entire ballot - November 6, 2012 – it must be returned by 8:00 pm on Tuesday November 6, 2012

To apply for a mail in ballot electronically the clerk of the county in which you reside must be contacted – to find the contact information please visit http://nj.gov/state/elections/voting-in ... cials.html, or call 1-877-658-6837

Finally, if you cannot find your normal polling place text 877877 or visit http://www.elections.nj.gov to find out where to vote. "

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:27 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

b.vicious, I biked right past the BCC this morning. Ick, gross. I have to go sort of past it this evening around 6:45 and I'm really hoping I don't run into any issues. Will be going right to voting, so hopefully I won't run into any issues.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:29 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm really jealous of all the places that had early voting! We don't have it in Massachusetts...

I'm just cranky today. I'm missing my aunt's funeral, and feel really guilty about it. But given travel times, there is no way I could go to her funeral and vote in the same day.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:39 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

4 words for you, 'Murica: Don't fork this up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:54 am 
Semen Strong

supercarrot wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

they're allowed to vote. my friend got this e-mail (i am assuming it means first responders who are not from new jersey. i guess PSE&G employees aren't first responders, but maybe they count.):

"In an effort to ensure that everyone has access (to vote) as a result of the recent storm the following options are available to those who are being sheltered away from home and to those first responders who are away from home.

1. You may vote provisionally at any polling place in the state – note this should be your last resort as you will only be able to vote for statewide candidates and on the questions

They can't vote for the president, just state reps in a state they likely don't care about.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:16 am 

but what about e-mail voting?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:28 am 
Semen Strong

These are people who are working around the clock in a state that isn't their own with probably only phones to access the ballot and no faxes or printers. You're asking people to make a huge effort to vote. Our library doesn't even have power back, so its not like people could do it that way.

Not saying it is impossible, its just really unlikely that they have the space to do that on top of everything else they are doing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:43 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The voter suppression is killing me today. Here in AZ, the early ballots said election day was the 8th in Spanish, and only had the proper date in English. In VA, there's a call center calling black neighborhoods and allowing voters to allegedly vote by phone. In PA, this is happening...so frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:57 am 
A Bad Person

I guess I'm proud to report that my state is still using ink-on-paper, fill-in-the-bubble ballots. I am disheartened to hear of electronic voting booths changing votes, or being perceived as incorrectly recording votes. I think even the presence of a "all democrats" and "all republicans" button is a little skeevy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:00 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
These are people who are working around the clock in a state that isn't their own with probably only phones to access the ballot and no faxes or printers. You're asking people to make a huge effort to vote. Our library doesn't even have power back, so its not like people could do it that way.

Not saying it is impossible, its just really unlikely that they have the space to do that on top of everything else they are doing.

i'm sure they have downtime, and if they want to vote, they have the option to. and i'm sure the offices have a fax machine. i doubt each individual worker is working for 18 hours a day. (also, i'm sure the offices have a secretary that can coordinate the whole thing. it's not like each worker needs to be hands-on in the process from start to finish.)

and if they don't care to vote, that's fine too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next