| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:56 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 2127
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
I feel like there would already be a thread like this, but I searched and didn't find one.

The other day I saw a commercial for a local turkey farm, and just now was trying to see if I could find it on youtube so I could criticize it on my blog. I didn't find the particular commercial, but I did find this one they made for Wegman's Markets (supermarket chain in NY, PA, NJ).

When he got to the part about environmental stewardship being very important and "look, we have all this green land!" I couldn't stop laughing because OMG there's all this land but nope, the turkeys are crammed into little spaces. NOT a laughing matter, folks.

Wait, why am I linking to the video when I can simply post it here thanks to Brian??


_________________
Louzilla Lovegood Letters | Dumbledore's Vegan Army
Don't have a cow, man.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:19 pm 
Offline
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 4379
Location: Brighton, England.
There was a scene in a British comedy show called The Inbetweeners where one dude beats a fish to death in a boat & I couldn't stop laughing - I felt like a total croissant but in the context of the show/scene it was damned amusing!

_________________
Blog: Vegan.In.Brighton
Twitter: @veganinbrighton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:48 pm 
Offline
Hip Goiter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 8271
Location: Philly/London
I laugh at tons of commercials for being just ridiculous and stupid like that. Like the Campbell's or Progresso ads for "farm-raised vegetables" gets me every time. Yeah all those big food or meat or whatever commercials, if they don't make me cry and/or sigh in frustration, they make me laugh.


Also political ads. I laughed my asparagus off at most of the political ads. OMG did the people in PA see the one - I think about either Sestak or Corbett but I'm prob wrong - anyway it was like "___ wants to create hundreds of jobs ....IN CHINA!!!!" and then had a GONG sound. It was so offensive, so unPC, and just so hideous in every way that I just laughed at how insane it all was. All the political ads are that good. I mean Christine O'Donnell's "I'm not a witch ad" made my day every day.

_________________
@randibop for le tweets & le pics

Laughfrodisiac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:38 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1920
Location: Buffalo!
my friends found this field of sunflowers last summer and talked about it all year. when we finally went, all the flowers were dead and drooping. I was cackling in the back seat while my friends were almost crying. I took a picture and now its my background.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:44 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 4648
Location: Philadelphia
RandiJM wrote:
OMG did the people in PA see the one - I think about either Sestak or Corbett but I'm prob wrong - anyway it was like "___ wants to create hundreds of jobs ....IN CHINA!!!!" and then had a GONG sound. It was so offensive, so unPC, and just so hideous in every way that I just laughed at how insane it all was.

Yes! I remember seeing that one and being like, "... really? Seriously, with the gong?"

_________________
@amandabear / illustration portfolio / will draw for cookies / more tea wesley?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:25 am 
Offline
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 3159
Location: BKLN
i feel like the things i laugh hardest at are really wrong. like, the first thing i thought of was the guillotine scene from bloodsucking freaks. and then i thought of every other scene from that movie . . . and i am still snickering.

when i was in college, a local news station ran an expose on the dangers of automatic doors. the piece included footage of a little old woman with a walker who was shuffling over the threshold when the doors started to close on her. it hit her on her right side, and she threw both her arms in the air and yelled, "AH. AH AH." the doors started to open back up, but then they closed on her again, and i think she kind of tipped over. my roommate and i laughed for weeks and kicked ourselves for not taping it. bad. bad us.

_________________
"rise from the ashes of douchebaggery like a fancy vegan phoenix" - amandabear
"I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is: fork pants." - cq


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:43 am 
Offline
Has gasoline in her veins
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 3334
Location: pdx
acr wrote:
when i was in college, a local news station ran an expose on the dangers of automatic doors. the piece included footage of a little old woman with a walker who was shuffling over the threshold when the doors started to close on her. it hit her on her right side, and she threw both her arms in the air and yelled, "AH. AH AH." the doors started to open back up, but then they closed on her again, and i think she kind of tipped over. my roommate and i laughed for weeks and kicked ourselves for not taping it. bad. bad us.


Maybe I'm a horrible person, but this made me laugh really hard.

That being said, I can't help but laugh when people fall down. Seriously. The laughter is NOT preventable.

_________________
"I rebuke this thread in the name of Jesus." -Jagadeesh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:50 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 4056
Location: Pennsylvania
So I work at Wegmans . . . .

_________________
Music Therapy Blog
Personal Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:52 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 4056
Location: Pennsylvania
RandiJM wrote:
Also political ads. I laughed my asparagus off at most of the political ads. OMG did the people in PA see the one - I think about either Sestak or Corbett but I'm prob wrong - anyway it was like "___ wants to create hundreds of jobs ....IN CHINA!!!!" and then had a GONG sound. It was so offensive, so unPC, and just so hideous in every way that I just laughed at how insane it all was. All the political ads are that good. I mean Christine O'Donnell's "I'm not a witch ad" made my day every day.

When I first saw that ad, I pretty much died of laughter, it was so overdramatic. And I think it was for Onorato?

_________________
Music Therapy Blog
Personal Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:55 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 2127
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
starrynight87 wrote:
RandiJM wrote:
Also political ads. I laughed my asparagus off at most of the political ads. OMG did the people in PA see the one - I think about either Sestak or Corbett but I'm prob wrong - anyway it was like "___ wants to create hundreds of jobs ....IN CHINA!!!!" and then had a GONG sound. It was so offensive, so unPC, and just so hideous in every way that I just laughed at how insane it all was. All the political ads are that good. I mean Christine O'Donnell's "I'm not a witch ad" made my day every day.

When I first saw that ad, I pretty much died of laughter, it was so overdramatic. And I think it was for Onorato?

My mom's saying it was for Sestak, who was putting down Toomey for having made so many jobs in China. Or something.

And starrynight - they have another commercial very much like this one for Whole Foods.

_________________
Louzilla Lovegood Letters | Dumbledore's Vegan Army
Don't have a cow, man.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:02 pm 
Offline
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 4379
Location: Brighton, England.
thisheregiraffe wrote:
acr wrote:
when i was in college, a local news station ran an expose on the dangers of automatic doors. the piece included footage of a little old woman with a walker who was shuffling over the threshold when the doors started to close on her. it hit her on her right side, and she threw both her arms in the air and yelled, "AH. AH AH." the doors started to open back up, but then they closed on her again, and i think she kind of tipped over. my roommate and i laughed for weeks and kicked ourselves for not taping it. bad. bad us.


Maybe I'm a horrible person, but this made me laugh really hard.



Me too! Oh god we're all horrible! I'm still laughing & hiding behind a pillow trying not to wake my husband up....if I wake him up because I'm laughing about an old lady getting stuck in a door I'll feel like an even worse person!

_________________
Blog: Vegan.In.Brighton
Twitter: @veganinbrighton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:24 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:27 pm
Posts: 2103
Location: Ashevegas, NC
Um. . . "dead baby" jokes and Helen Keller jokes. Should I be too ashamed to even admit this? They are horrible and politically incorrect, but I can't help laughing at quite a few of them.

_________________
"Some of my best friends hate Oreos. I once let one use my bathroom." -Shy Mox


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:30 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 665
Location: Koninkrijk der Nederlanden
McDonald's currently has an incredibly funny commercial here and every time I see it I laugh and then I feel really bad! I'm so sorry! A lot of the Dutch McDonald's commercials are done really well...

My dad suffered a painful ankle injury because he was helping my sister move, right after we all joked about how he would injure himself because he always tries to do more than he should. I laughed really hard when I heard it had actually happened...

_________________
Yeah it’s two R’s, h-o-r-r... yeah, right.
"So something ripped him open and ate out his insides?" "Like an oreo cookie! ... well, except for, you know, without the chocolaty cookie goodness."
DON'T WARN THE TADPOLES!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:33 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 4648
Location: Philadelphia
lilyyw wrote:
Um. . . "dead baby" jokes and Helen Keller jokes. Should I be too ashamed to even admit this? They are horrible and politically incorrect, but I can't help laughing at quite a few of them.

No, I laugh at them too. I love a good dead baby joke. But I'm kind of a soulles perv, so really it's the sicker, the better as far as I'm concerned.

I laugh at other people's misfortune a lot. I don't think you're really supposed to do that. Also one of my most hilarious memories was being in the park and seeing this obnoxious kid skateboard right off the edge of a stone wall and eat pavement. I still laugh thinking about it.

_________________
@amandabear / illustration portfolio / will draw for cookies / more tea wesley?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:39 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:22 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: va
My favorite Helen Keller joke was by Puck on Glee.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:57 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:26 pm
Posts: 793
Location: Denver
jojo wrote:
thisheregiraffe wrote:
acr wrote:
when i was in college, a local news station ran an expose on the dangers of automatic doors. the piece included footage of a little old woman with a walker who was shuffling over the threshold when the doors started to close on her. it hit her on her right side, and she threw both her arms in the air and yelled, "AH. AH AH." the doors started to open back up, but then they closed on her again, and i think she kind of tipped over. my roommate and i laughed for weeks and kicked ourselves for not taping it. bad. bad us.


Maybe I'm a horrible person, but this made me laugh really hard.



Me too! Oh god we're all horrible! I'm still laughing & hiding behind a pillow trying not to wake my husband up....if I wake him up because I'm laughing about an old lady getting stuck in a door I'll feel like an even worse person!

I'm laughing too.

_________________
Whoa Wren


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:24 am 
Offline
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:07 pm
Posts: 1576
Location: Watertown, MA
thisheregiraffe wrote:
acr wrote:
when i was in college, a local news station ran an expose on the dangers of automatic doors. the piece included footage of a little old woman with a walker who was shuffling over the threshold when the doors started to close on her. it hit her on her right side, and she threw both her arms in the air and yelled, "AH. AH AH." the doors started to open back up, but then they closed on her again, and i think she kind of tipped over. my roommate and i laughed for weeks and kicked ourselves for not taping it. bad. bad us.


Maybe I'm a horrible person, but this made me laugh really hard.

That being said, I can't help but laugh when people fall down. Seriously. The laughter is NOT preventable.



Me too. I pictured the whole scene in my head as I was reading it and it cracked me up. And I can't help but laugh at people who fall. Unless they are in a dangerous situation on a bike on a busy road, then I panic, or if they actually get hurt. Otherwise, I'm going to laugh at you. In fact, the thought of watching people fall is making me laugh right now. I am horrible.

_________________
blog! twitter! facebook! etsy!
xgfx - Review Squadron Team!
My vulva serves at least 50 people, if you know what I'm sayin'. - just mumbles
The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:38 am 
Offline
A gift from the crasshole god.

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 am
Posts: 2523
acr wrote:
i feel like the things i laugh hardest at are really wrong. like, the first thing i thought of was the guillotine scene from bloodsucking freaks. and then i thought of every other scene from that movie . . . and i am still snickering.

when i was in college, a local news station ran an expose on the dangers of automatic doors. the piece included footage of a little old woman with a walker who was shuffling over the threshold when the doors started to close on her. it hit her on her right side, and she threw both her arms in the air and yelled, "AH. AH AH." the doors started to open back up, but then they closed on her again, and i think she kind of tipped over. my roommate and i laughed for weeks and kicked ourselves for not taping it. bad. bad us.


I am trying so hard not to laugh at this because I am currently sitting in the office in work, but I keep doing that snorting-laugh thing that happens when you try to keep it in. Everytime I think about it I start all over again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:43 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:39 pm
Posts: 6197
thisheregiraffe wrote:
acr wrote:
when i was in college, a local news station ran an expose on the dangers of automatic doors. the piece included footage of a little old woman with a walker who was shuffling over the threshold when the doors started to close on her. it hit her on her right side, and she threw both her arms in the air and yelled, "AH. AH AH." the doors started to open back up, but then they closed on her again, and i think she kind of tipped over. my roommate and i laughed for weeks and kicked ourselves for not taping it. bad. bad us.


Maybe I'm a horrible person, but this made me laugh really hard.

Another bad person here. I couldn't stop laughing out loud the whole time I read that. But I wouldn't laugh if I actually saw this happen in real life. I'd jump in and try to help her and be shouting for someone to call an ambulance. Ok, if it turned out she was ok, maybe I'd laugh about it afterward.

I laugh when the leaves from my trees blow across the street and get all over my neighbors lawn. They have no trees because they want a pristine lawn. My partner assures me that this is not wrong to laugh at and does not make me a bad person. I'm pretty sure those neighbors hate us and our trees.

_________________
"We are simple people, my husband is a mechanic with dirty hands, my daughter is a blue haired lesbian who's favorite activity is making people uncomfortable." - torque


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:46 pm 
Offline
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 7675
Location: Portland, OR
Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I laugh when the leaves from my trees blow across the street and get all over my neighbors lawn. They have no trees because they want a pristine lawn. My partner assures me that this is not wrong to laugh at and does not make me a bad person. I'm pretty sure those neighbors hate us and our trees.

Plant more trees! Especially something deciduous like a Japanese maple.

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:48 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:47 pm
Posts: 291
Location: Arkham, MA
Sames.

Lose it every time someone falls (and isn't badly injured). Actually, that's not true. I laugh even then, but I do try to help. Hell, I laugh when I fall, imagining how funny it must look.

_________________
My Facebook | My (infrequently updated) Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:42 pm 
Offline
And you never will.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 4576
Location: Memphis
amandabear wrote:
lilyyw wrote:
Um. . . "dead baby" jokes and Helen Keller jokes. Should I be too ashamed to even admit this? They are horrible and politically incorrect, but I can't help laughing at quite a few of them.

No, I laugh at them too. I love a good dead baby joke. But I'm kind of a soulles perv, so really it's the sicker, the better as far as I'm concerned.

I laugh at other people's misfortune a lot. I don't think you're really supposed to do that. Also one of my most hilarious memories was being in the park and seeing this obnoxious kid skateboard right off the edge of a stone wall and eat pavement. I still laugh thinking about it.


I was just coming in here to say I laugh at dead baby jokes too. People used to say I wouldn't think they were funny if I had a baby, but turns out they were wrong.

And people getting hurt? Yeah. Schadenfreude!

_________________
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars
One vegan baker to another: "Dude, do you even sift?" - FootFace


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:41 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:51 pm
Posts: 496
Location: the black abyss of my mind
Mars wrote:
Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I laugh when the leaves from my trees blow across the street and get all over my neighbors lawn. They have no trees because they want a pristine lawn. My partner assures me that this is not wrong to laugh at and does not make me a bad person. I'm pretty sure those neighbors hate us and our trees.

Plant more trees! Especially something deciduous like a Japanese maple.

I second this opinion! (Plus they are beautiful.)

_________________
...the momentum of the present hurtling into the future...
"Are we just talking about babies generally, or eating babies in tires with guac and salsa?" ~Fizzgig

Writing!
"personal journey" blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:50 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:39 pm
Posts: 6197
mushroom slave wrote:
Mars wrote:
Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I laugh when the leaves from my trees blow across the street and get all over my neighbors lawn. They have no trees because they want a pristine lawn. My partner assures me that this is not wrong to laugh at and does not make me a bad person. I'm pretty sure those neighbors hate us and our trees.

Plant more trees! Especially something deciduous like a Japanese maple.

I second this opinion! (Plus they are beautiful.)

I have tons of deciduous trees, and they are beautiful, but there really isn't room for more right now. But thanks for all the support!

_________________
"We are simple people, my husband is a mechanic with dirty hands, my daughter is a blue haired lesbian who's favorite activity is making people uncomfortable." - torque


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:35 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:31 pm
Posts: 545
Location: Olympia, WA
Rach*n wrote:
My favorite Helen Keller joke was by Puck on Glee.


That was hilarious!

_________________
I think my heart just exploded into a shower of glitter --TinLychee


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], chop_socky, chosephine and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer