| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I feel like there would already be a thread like this, but I searched and didn't find one.

The other day I saw a commercial for a local turkey farm, and just now was trying to see if I could find it on youtube so I could criticize it on my blog. I didn't find the particular commercial, but I did find this one they made for Wegman's Markets (supermarket chain in NY, PA, NJ).

When he got to the part about environmental stewardship being very important and "look, we have all this green land!" I couldn't stop laughing because OMG there's all this land but nope, the turkeys are crammed into little spaces. NOT a laughing matter, folks.

Wait, why am I linking to the video when I can simply post it here thanks to Brian??

Post subject: Re: Things you shouldn't laugh at but do anyway.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:19 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

There was a scene in a British comedy show called The Inbetweeners where one dude beats a fish to death in a boat & I couldn't stop laughing - I felt like a total croissant but in the context of the show/scene it was damned amusing!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:48 pm 
Hip Goiter

I laugh at tons of commercials for being just ridiculous and stupid like that. Like the Campbell's or Progresso ads for "farm-raised vegetables" gets me every time. Yeah all those big food or meat or whatever commercials, if they don't make me cry and/or sigh in frustration, they make me laugh.

Also political ads. I laughed my asparagus off at most of the political ads. OMG did the people in PA see the one - I think about either Sestak or Corbett but I'm prob wrong - anyway it was like "___ wants to create hundreds of jobs ....IN CHINA!!!!" and then had a GONG sound. It was so offensive, so unPC, and just so hideous in every way that I just laughed at how insane it all was. All the political ads are that good. I mean Christine O'Donnell's "I'm not a witch ad" made my day every day.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

my friends found this field of sunflowers last summer and talked about it all year. when we finally went, all the flowers were dead and drooping. I was cackling in the back seat while my friends were almost crying. I took a picture and now its my background.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:44 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

RandiJM wrote:
OMG did the people in PA see the one - I think about either Sestak or Corbett but I'm prob wrong - anyway it was like "___ wants to create hundreds of jobs ....IN CHINA!!!!" and then had a GONG sound. It was so offensive, so unPC, and just so hideous in every way that I just laughed at how insane it all was.

Yes! I remember seeing that one and being like, "... really? Seriously, with the gong?"

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:25 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i feel like the things i laugh hardest at are really wrong. like, the first thing i thought of was the guillotine scene from bloodsucking freaks. and then i thought of every other scene from that movie . . . and i am still snickering.

when i was in college, a local news station ran an expose on the dangers of automatic doors. the piece included footage of a little old woman with a walker who was shuffling over the threshold when the doors started to close on her. it hit her on her right side, and she threw both her arms in the air and yelled, "AH. AH AH." the doors started to open back up, but then they closed on her again, and i think she kind of tipped over. my roommate and i laughed for weeks and kicked ourselves for not taping it. bad. bad us.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:43 am 
Has gasoline in her veins

acr wrote:
when i was in college, a local news station ran an expose on the dangers of automatic doors. the piece included footage of a little old woman with a walker who was shuffling over the threshold when the doors started to close on her. it hit her on her right side, and she threw both her arms in the air and yelled, "AH. AH AH." the doors started to open back up, but then they closed on her again, and i think she kind of tipped over. my roommate and i laughed for weeks and kicked ourselves for not taping it. bad. bad us.

Maybe I'm a horrible person, but this made me laugh really hard.

That being said, I can't help but laugh when people fall down. Seriously. The laughter is NOT preventable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So I work at Wegmans . . . .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

RandiJM wrote:
Also political ads. I laughed my asparagus off at most of the political ads. OMG did the people in PA see the one - I think about either Sestak or Corbett but I'm prob wrong - anyway it was like "___ wants to create hundreds of jobs ....IN CHINA!!!!" and then had a GONG sound. It was so offensive, so unPC, and just so hideous in every way that I just laughed at how insane it all was. All the political ads are that good. I mean Christine O'Donnell's "I'm not a witch ad" made my day every day.

When I first saw that ad, I pretty much died of laughter, it was so overdramatic. And I think it was for Onorato?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

starrynight87 wrote:
RandiJM wrote:

When I first saw that ad, I pretty much died of laughter, it was so overdramatic. And I think it was for Onorato?

My mom's saying it was for Sestak, who was putting down Toomey for having made so many jobs in China. Or something.

And starrynight - they have another commercial very much like this one for Whole Foods.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:02 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

thisheregiraffe wrote:
acr wrote:

Me too! Oh god we're all horrible! I'm still laughing & hiding behind a pillow trying not to wake my husband up....if I wake him up because I'm laughing about an old lady getting stuck in a door I'll feel like an even worse person!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Um. . . "dead baby" jokes and Helen Keller jokes. Should I be too ashamed to even admit this? They are horrible and politically incorrect, but I can't help laughing at quite a few of them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:30 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

McDonald's currently has an incredibly funny commercial here and every time I see it I laugh and then I feel really bad! I'm so sorry! A lot of the Dutch McDonald's commercials are done really well...

My dad suffered a painful ankle injury because he was helping my sister move, right after we all joked about how he would injure himself because he always tries to do more than he should. I laughed really hard when I heard it had actually happened...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:33 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

lilyyw wrote:
Um. . . "dead baby" jokes and Helen Keller jokes. Should I be too ashamed to even admit this? They are horrible and politically incorrect, but I can't help laughing at quite a few of them.

No, I laugh at them too. I love a good dead baby joke. But I'm kind of a soulles perv, so really it's the sicker, the better as far as I'm concerned.

I laugh at other people's misfortune a lot. I don't think you're really supposed to do that. Also one of my most hilarious memories was being in the park and seeing this obnoxious kid skateboard right off the edge of a stone wall and eat pavement. I still laugh thinking about it.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:39 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My favorite Helen Keller joke was by Puck on Glee.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:57 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

jojo wrote:
thisheregiraffe wrote:
acr wrote:

Me too! Oh god we're all horrible! I'm still laughing & hiding behind a pillow trying not to wake my husband up....if I wake him up because I'm laughing about an old lady getting stuck in a door I'll feel like an even worse person!

I'm laughing too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:24 am 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

thisheregiraffe wrote:
acr wrote:

That being said, I can't help but laugh when people fall down. Seriously. The laughter is NOT preventable.

Me too. I pictured the whole scene in my head as I was reading it and it cracked me up. And I can't help but laugh at people who fall. Unless they are in a dangerous situation on a bike on a busy road, then I panic, or if they actually get hurt. Otherwise, I'm going to laugh at you. In fact, the thought of watching people fall is making me laugh right now. I am horrible.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:38 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

acr wrote:
i feel like the things i laugh hardest at are really wrong. like, the first thing i thought of was the guillotine scene from bloodsucking freaks. and then i thought of every other scene from that movie . . . and i am still snickering.

I am trying so hard not to laugh at this because I am currently sitting in the office in work, but I keep doing that snorting-laugh thing that happens when you try to keep it in. Everytime I think about it I start all over again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:43 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

thisheregiraffe wrote:
acr wrote:

Another bad person here. I couldn't stop laughing out loud the whole time I read that. But I wouldn't laugh if I actually saw this happen in real life. I'd jump in and try to help her and be shouting for someone to call an ambulance. Ok, if it turned out she was ok, maybe I'd laugh about it afterward.

I laugh when the leaves from my trees blow across the street and get all over my neighbors lawn. They have no trees because they want a pristine lawn. My partner assures me that this is not wrong to laugh at and does not make me a bad person. I'm pretty sure those neighbors hate us and our trees.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:46 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I laugh when the leaves from my trees blow across the street and get all over my neighbors lawn. They have no trees because they want a pristine lawn. My partner assures me that this is not wrong to laugh at and does not make me a bad person. I'm pretty sure those neighbors hate us and our trees.

Plant more trees! Especially something deciduous like a Japanese maple.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:48 pm 
Saggy Butt

Sames.

Lose it every time someone falls (and isn't badly injured). Actually, that's not true. I laugh even then, but I do try to help. Hell, I laugh when I fall, imagining how funny it must look.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:42 pm 
And you never will.

amandabear wrote:
lilyyw wrote:

No, I laugh at them too. I love a good dead baby joke. But I'm kind of a soulles perv, so really it's the sicker, the better as far as I'm concerned.

I laugh at other people's misfortune a lot. I don't think you're really supposed to do that. Also one of my most hilarious memories was being in the park and seeing this obnoxious kid skateboard right off the edge of a stone wall and eat pavement. I still laugh thinking about it.

I was just coming in here to say I laugh at dead baby jokes too. People used to say I wouldn't think they were funny if I had a baby, but turns out they were wrong.

And people getting hurt? Yeah. Schadenfreude!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Mars wrote:

I second this opinion! (Plus they are beautiful.)

Writing!
"personal journey" blog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:50 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

mushroom slave wrote:
Mars wrote:

I second this opinion! (Plus they are beautiful.)

I have tons of deciduous trees, and they are beautiful, but there really isn't room for more right now. But thanks for all the support!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

Rach*n wrote:
My favorite Helen Keller joke was by Puck on Glee.

That was hilarious!