| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pet Awesomes
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Lillianp that is so awesome!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:36 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Lillianp, that's great! This is kind of my recent strategy too, when people have asked about veganism: it can be tasty, it can be easy, and you don't have to make it an all or nothing thing if you aren't comfortable. Obviously it would be better if people would eliminate all dairy (cheese is always the holdout it seems), but I think its a good start and much less daunting for people to try and test the waters. I always recommend AFR and IDI too. I throw in Oh She Glows because it doesn't use any "weird vegan" ingredients.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:10 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lillianp wrote:
Ok, so most of my weekend goes in the best things thread here but this is for pet awesomes:

I met a woman at the epic skill swap last year and was eating dinner with her last night at the close of E.S.S. 2014. She asked if I remembered talking to her about vegan food & stuff last year (she's omnivorous but had always wanted to try veganism but had never been successful) and I sort of did & remembered better as we started talking.

Anyways, started talking and it turns out that I recommended Appetite for Reduction & any Isa book. I also said to just experiment with more vegan food & not feel pressure to be 'perfect' but to stop eating that which they can and if they have to have certain foods, be ok with that.

So she tells me first that AFR was a 'game changer' and 'life changing' that Isa made it SO easy for her and she's been so happy to have the book and that it's super easy and delicious (duh). She's not vegan yet, but they eat mostly vegan at home (the only non-vegan thing they have is some cheese, no milk, no eggs, no meat at home) and only some meat/dairy/eggs outside of the home with others, especially in situations where she's not comfortable asking someone else to go out of the way to make vegan food just for her/her husband.

I'm so so so impressed with that and amazed that anything I said could have made such a difference. (And everything she said about Isa Chandra is true & is probably why I'm still vegan) And oh wow, that was a long recap.

Go you!!! :D

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:17 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I haven't checked out Oh She Glows' cookbook yet or I'd recommend it as well! I think her blog/site is great. Thanks CQ, I'm feeling pretty great about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I saw Oh She Glows at Barnes & Noble tonight. I was so tempted! It looks beautiful, feels pleasant to hold and look through (printed on nice quality paper), and the recipes look and sound delicious.

I'll cave and get it at some point.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:07 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

the oh she glows book is a great - positive book!

i got to try panera bread over the weekend (we do not have one in town). we stopped in to buy a loaf of sour dough bread, it was so good. we grilled it with a bit of EB and topped it with beans - mmmm!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:08 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

my fave vegan friendly cupcake place started serving coffee, the milk choices they have on hand: almond & soy - that is it! yay! i used to buy a cupcake, walk around the block to get coffee, then walk back to sit on the patio to split a cupcake & coffee with the boyfriend...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:59 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My mom hasn't eaten meat in a few weeks, which is AMAZING because she lives in a super small, super rural, super conservative town on the Canadian prairies that is very meat and potatoes. She usually eats vegan when she comes to visit me and says how much she likes eating vegan, but she doesn't do it at home. Anyway, she follows Esther the Wonder Pig on Facebook and donated to their Kickstarter for a farm sanctuary and said she felt like a giant hypocrite so she stopped eating meat, although it still sounds like she eats fish on occasion. I don't know if this counts as a "vegan" pet awesome, but it makes me really happy!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:00 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

lobsteriffic wrote:
My mom hasn't eaten meat in a few weeks, which is AMAZING because she lives in a super small, super rural, super conservative town on the Canadian prairies that is very meat and potatoes. She usually eats vegan when she comes to visit me and says how much she likes eating vegan, but she doesn't do it at home. Anyway, she follows Esther the Wonder Pig on Facebook and donated to their Kickstarter for a farm sanctuary and said she felt like a giant hypocrite so she stopped eating meat, although it still sounds like she eats fish on occasion. I don't know if this counts as a "vegan" pet awesome, but it makes me really happy!

it totally counts. that rules!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

There have been a lot of cakes popping up at work for one birthday or another, none of which are vegan. I consider this an awesome, because I have zero self control around cake and would have eaten 1 or 2 pieces every day that one showed up. It's also reduced my snack vending purchases, since my only options are plain potato chips, pretzels, and peanuts. In other words, moving from vegetarian to vegan has eliminated a lot of impulse eating by simply reducing the available options.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:40 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

zelavie wrote:
There have been a lot of cakes popping up at work for one birthday or another, none of which are vegan. I consider this an awesome, because I have zero self control around cake and would have eaten 1 or 2 pieces every day that one showed up. It's also reduced my snack vending purchases, since my only options are plain potato chips, pretzels, and peanuts. In other words, moving from vegetarian to vegan has eliminated a lot of impulse eating by simply reducing the available options.

I find that this has its drawbacks! Now whenever I see something that actually is vegan, I'll eat pretty much whatever it is. So now that veganism is becoming more popular, it's becoming harder for me to resist stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've definitely experienced that side of it as well - thankfully in my neck of the woods, that doesn't happen too often.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My friend who I stay with whenever I'm in the city has switched to only soy milk and tofutti cream cheese and I'm helping her make her makeup/beauty/cleaning stuff at least animal testing free.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:43 am 
Not NOT A Furry

that chocolate Jiff whips stuff is vegan. and delicious. my bf thinks it's gross = more for me!!!

there was a super cheap just-happened-to-be-vegan Wal-Mart brand margarine around for a while and that was great bc i was making all those recipes that call for 1cup of buttah and i didn't have to sub for oil bc i didn't have to use $$$ earth balance. but now i can't find that margarine anymore so what was once awesome is now sad.

i feel like there's been a few more awesome vegan products out lately that i wanted to post about in here, but i can't remember.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:59 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I went out to a vegan burger place here with my family to celebrate grad. My dad is very much the kind of guy who makes the awful vegan and "it needs bacon!" type jokes that everyone hates, and said he just wasn't going to eat anything since there wasn't any meat. Well, my omni brother then reveals that since we went there for my birthday last year he's been eating there frequently since he likes the food and it's close by his work, and he recommends that my dad try the poutine. So, surprisingly, my dad orders the poutine, and unsurprisingly (since it's delicious) actually likes it! And acknowledges that it's good! And then actually tries my soft serve, which he also has to admit is good!

Also, this place has vegan soft serve with a different flavour every day! Like, today's was strawberry-passionfruit, last time I went it was mango... I'm just going to eat all of the soft serve, it's fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:32 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

On Jamie Oliver's new programme 'Money saving meals' last night, he featured a totally vegan main dish. I thought it was really cool coming from a world famous chef, since most of them always bang on about how amazing meat is. It looked really delicious and I'm totally making it :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Rosie wrote:
On Jamie Oliver's new programme 'Money saving meals' last night, he featured a totally vegan main dish. I thought it was really cool coming from a world famous chef, since most of them always bang on about how amazing meat is. It looked really delicious and I'm totally making it :)

I've gotten a couple yummy recipes from he, he seems to be one of the more veg friendly ones. Michael Smith can be good too but he pushes the antiquated grain/legume pairing thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:46 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Has anyone noticed that Paprika seems to be recognizing/able to import stuff automatically from way more vegan sites lately? Including Isa's PPK blog. Life is beautiful!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:23 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

It's not really a 'vegan' thing per se, but I just used an icing piping bag for the first time in my life. How did I not know about these before?! They're making icing all my vegan baked goods so much easier and prettier!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:32 am 
WRETCHED

How did you do icing before? My mom used to bake a lot when I was young and had a ton of tips for her icing bags to do different shapes and sizes I don't bake so yeah but there is a whole world of icing out there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:19 am 
ugh

I don't make cupcakes all that often but got to use my decorating set to pipe hummus on to cucumber slices for a work event a couple days ago! It looked really cute.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:03 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

linanil wrote:
How did you do icing before? My mom used to bake a lot when I was young and had a ton of tips for her icing bags to do different shapes and sizes I don't bake so yeah but there is a whole world of icing out there.

With a knife, essentially just splodging it into the cupcake.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:41 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

target has these new apple packets, it's like apples in sauce like french toast flavor....so i got the ft flavor, some SD sugar free coconut vanilla ice cream and had myself a nice lil after dinner snack! yay pms monster is chill now.

kinda like a pa: neighbor asked if i ate honey, i said no, it comes from an insect. i thought i would have to debate her like the time over shrimp, she just dropped it! yay!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I managed to change my family's mind on vegan food (with some help from Isa). They now think that vegan food can be superior to some non-vegan food.

Also, my parents ask me how to season everything now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We went to a birthday party that had vegan cupcakes for us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next