| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pet Awesomes
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:31 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Tofulish wrote:
You know how sometimes people will say that veganism is expensive? Well this Homesteading page sets out how to feed your family on $12 pp a week, and its almost all vegan (there is a little dairy which is very easy to sub out). http://www.doctoryourself.com/eatwellcheap.html

It is an older site, but it brings home how easy it is to eat cheaply if you are eating vegan.

I dunno, I just looked at that site and it basically says "this is your $12 shopping list, but we left all these other things off that you actually do need in order to keep it down to $12". Also it notes that the prices are from 1995 and doesn't mention where geographically...but, I live on the US east coast in 2013, brown rice doesn't cost 85 cents a pound!

I don't think veganism is more expensive than eating meat though...I already spend most of my money on food, I can't even imagine how much more I'd be spending if I ate animal products too.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:31 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

choirqueer wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
You know how sometimes people will say that veganism is expensive? Well this Homesteading page sets out how to feed your family on $12 pp a week, and its almost all vegan (there is a little dairy which is very easy to sub out). http://www.doctoryourself.com/eatwellcheap.html

It is an older site, but it brings home how easy it is to eat cheaply if you are eating vegan.

I dunno, I just looked at that site and it basically says "this is your $12 shopping list, but we left all these other things off that you actually do need in order to keep it down to $12". Also it notes that the prices are from 1995 and doesn't mention where geographically...but, I live on the US east coast in 2013, brown rice doesn't cost 85 cents a pound!

I don't think veganism is more expensive than eating meat though...I already spend most of my money on food, I can't even imagine how much more I'd be spending if I ate animal products too.

Also, I started getting irritated in the first paragraph when he said this:
Quote:
It stands to reason that the vegetarians that doctors see are the sick ones, the unsuccessful ones.
and went on to say that if you eat junk food and sugar you are a "vegetarian failure".

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:19 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'm on vacation right now with my cousins and one is vegan and one is vegetarian and is SO nice to not be alone. Any food situations are like I'm not alone to figure out. We had veggie dogs, corn, squash, and green beans last night and potatoes and biscuits for breakfast this morning. I would never be this full if I was the only vegan here.

Vegan pet peeve: 3x the hur hur steak is delicious jokes

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:36 pm 
Nooch of Earl

My take on this, in a nutshell, is... Inexpensive, quick, and gourmet: you can only pick two.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:22 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Went to a neighbors house for a BBQ, we brought the food (they paid for the UFC fight, we brought food).

My partner brought a big tri tip (that I made the marinade for haha) and I brought over slaw, baked beans, hommade salsa & chips, and potato/onion/garlic/pepper/rosemary potatoes (to put on the grill, in foil packets).

Everyone was really impressed by my food. They were a bit skeptical. That's why I made sure to bring pretty common foods that would be served at a BBQ anyway, and I only had an hour to prepare. The beans especially were a hit (Cheater Baked Beans from V'con).

They were also impressed at how dang cheap it all was. Even with the nasty tri-tip in there, which was almost 1/3 of the cost. All that food, plus a bunch of (good) beer and juice was $41. Plus a couple of items I needed from the store anyways that were not for dinner.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:35 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My OH sucks at making dessert, and gets a bit overwhelmed by making vegan dessert. Last night out of the blue he brought home dark chocolate with cacao nibs, and we had it melted, with physalis and vegan mallows dipped in it. I got so overexcited I crashed and had to go to bed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:26 pm 
Semen Strong

I just saw this status from a fellow vegan friend:

Why did the chicken cross the road?
Because you didn't forking COOK IT!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

This is from yesterday:

I was studying with some friends for a final and another friend who was meeting us texted me to see if we wanted anything to eat. We told her it was okay, we can just go get dinner in a bit together. She shows up with snacks for everyone (because she is amazing) and she even looked through all the vegan baked goods and bought me a vegan scone. She is so awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

While at the supermarket today I noted that the big tub of organic soy yogurt was cheaper than the organic cow pus yogurt (poor cows). Yay! I will buy some tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:14 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

A co-worker stopped me the other day to "pick my brain" because her nephew and his girlfriend are vegan and she wanted to know about feeding them. Really though, she made amazing stuff on her own. She had Oreos and Ritz crackers, plenty of fruit, and made a ratatouille and scalloped potatoes with soy milk, flour, and a little olive oil. I told her that it all sounded awesome and that it makes us vegans SO HAPPY when people put a little thought into it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:35 am 
Bathes in Braggs

On two busses this week - inside the bus, above the windows - I saw the Mercy for Animals ad campaign. The bus ads have been really low in numbers since the transit strike last year so the ad was by itself and extra visible. It was a new "Why love one but eat the other" ad with the cutest little puppy and piglet.

Also, my sons have been getting better at eating my vegan meals. Last night I threw together lentil taco filling with canned lentils and mashed up some guacamole and one son ate them as a taco salad. I put the rest of the filling in pita (leftover from the falafels they gobbled down the night before) with some FYH nacho cheese and baked them till crispy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:31 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm at a conference and I've been fed a substantial (i.e., not just lettuce) at every meal. The hotel staff have been very accommodating and I haven't had to explain what a vegan meal is once. I just ask for a vegan option and voila, there it is. They even served me a bowl of berries for dessert and one time they gave me mango sorbet.

the downside is most of the food has been bland and nothing to get excited about, but A+++ for effort. I think Im going to write the hotel a letter to thank them. Usually at conferences I'm given a sad plate of lettuce, IF that.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:52 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

There's a new Indian restaurant that delivers to my neighborhood and vegan items are marked as such on the menu! (unfortunately the samosas are only vegetarian - why?)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:25 am 
Semen Strong

On days when it feels hard and lonely to be a vegan, its nice to read pieces like this: http://www.care2.com/causes/why-i-love-vegans.html

Quote:
Without the need for holy books, rituals, prayers, or obedience to anyone or anything beyond their understanding, simply by listening to the one voice inside them that they do understand, vegans know, as everyone with a conscience knows, that slavery is wrong… whoever be the slave and whoever be the master.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:18 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made lasagna with tofu ricotta and Daiya for dinner, and my (omni) parents ate it, too! And loved it!

My mom is super open minded about vegan food, and lately has been cooking a bunch of vegan meals even when I'm not here. Some of it is just soups and stews that aren't really obviously vegan, but she's even been making chickpea burgers lately, all of which my (meat and potatoes) step dad has loved. And apparently he even likes tofu riccotta and fake cheese!

YAY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:27 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Simply_Love wrote:
I made lasagna with tofu ricotta and Daiya for dinner, and my (omni) parents ate it, too! And loved it!

My mom is super open minded about vegan food, and lately has been cooking a bunch of vegan meals even when I'm not here. Some of it is just soups and stews that aren't really obviously vegan, but she's even been making chickpea burgers lately, all of which my (meat and potatoes) step dad has loved. And apparently he even likes tofu riccotta and fake cheese!

YAY

Wow! That is fantastic about your mom and step dad.

I was just visualizing the other day putting together an old Betty Crocker style lasagne with tofu ricotta and Daiya, I'm for certain going to do that now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:37 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Our staff of seven had lunch out at a vegan restaurant (I didn't even pick it!) and they all absolutely raved over it, including the one who says snarky things about veganism all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

jean wrote:
Simply_Love wrote:

YAY

Wow! That is fantastic about your mom and step dad.

I was just visualizing the other day putting together an old Betty Crocker style lasagne with tofu ricotta and Daiya, I'm for certain going to do that now.

You should! Lasagna was one of my favorite foods when I was little, and this definitely satisfies that craving. If you have Vegan With a Vengeance or Veganomicon, I use the tofu ricotta from there! I generally add a bit of extra nooch, just because I love it. So good!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:10 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Ariann wrote:
Our staff of seven had lunch out at a vegan restaurant (I didn't even pick it!) and they all absolutely raved over it, including the one who says snarky things about veganism all the time.

That is so totally awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:23 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I went to a barbecue yesterday and my friend and her husband went out of their way to accommodate me (grilling my food on foil, etc) and make sure I had plenty to eat. I so appreciated it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:06 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I went to my cousin's grad party and there were a few vegan pet awesomes. I brought a bunch of cupcakes, and one lady told me they tasted like little bits of heaven. Vegan win! I had a few gluten-free cupcakes as well, and there were these two little girls who were gluten-free and were SO EXCITED to have tasty treats to eat. Cupcakes are supposed to make people happy, and that's exactly what they did.
Also, my aunt had wraps and salad stuffs for me! I had brought a veggie burger (as is my standard now when going to parties) so i didn't end up eating it, but it was super awesome that she thought of me and made sure i had food to eat.

Another pet awesome: The little market in town where i sell my cupcakes has vegan peanut cups! And the owner hooked me up with an extra bag of them because they got smeared and were un-sellable (but totally delicious). More than half the baked goods they sell are vegan, which is awesome. Being a vegan makes me so much more appreciative and excited over seemingly "commonplace" foods. In my pregan days, peanut butter cups would have been no big deal. But now it's a whole thing that i tell all my friends about.

Oh, also the local grocery store started selling Gardein burger sliders and chicken sliders. Gosh they're tasty.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:48 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Ooh, for vegan lasagna, add browned chunks of Gimme Lean. It comes refrigerated in rolls. Both the regular and sausage style are AWESOME in lasagna. I really like to brown it in a pan before adding it to the lasagna, it gives it more flavor, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:07 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I didn't buy more egg replacer because I thought I had some, and I did! I'm making super lazy banana bread (from a mix). I'm embarrassed to admit that, but I really am this lazy. And I have too ripe bananas. And the mix had alternate vegan directions right in the box!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:12 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I just started a new job recently and have only worked with a couple different people there so far. One of the women gave me the "we don't eat much meat" comment when I told her I am vegan, but ran off to buy almond milk on sale after we were talking about it. Another woman was with me after I found a package of chocolate soyummi soy pudding on sale and I gave her one to try and she was raving about how good it is, and then ran off to buy the rice pudding flavour on my recommendation. Little itty bitty tiny vegan pet awesomes.

Also, my grocery store got daiya shreds back in, and WE HAVE THE CREAM CHEESE. So I did get a package of the chive flavour but forgot to buy bagels. Also Amande is back, but only a couple flavours in the small containers. But I was so excited to see them I bought them, despite being damned expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:47 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

OMG I found decent vegan food in the Phoenix airport.

Le Grande Orange (or something like that) has a bunch of vegan options listed on the menu and clearly identified.

I got the Mother Earth vegan pizza. So, so, so, good. Pesto, tons of veggies, including fennel and broccolini, and the chef used special utensils when I ordered vegan.

I was hoping for subway, this was a nice surprise :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 27  Next