| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pet Awesomes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:49 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

last week i baked for profit (actually non-profit all $ goes to mar's medical care) and my boyfriend's potluck. i did low sugar, no oil for work with spelt flour - people were all happy that they had options (diabetic and lifestyle friendly) and asked for recipes and stuff. then an hour after the person got her order of cookies - she raved about them in an email. i have been worried with using low sugar/no sugar options, spelt flour and 'healthy' stuff instead of earth balance and cups of sugar (which i do not mind) but want to try new stuff/ways of baking...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

ndpittman wrote:
I was on Barnes and Noble today, and these two kids (maybe 18?) were like, "Oh! Here's the vegetarian section! Vegetarian and vegan! I love seeing that word!"

This made me smile.

I once had a math class with these three people who were all going vegan together. They would tell each other about new things they tried. I was too anxious to say anything to them, but it was really awesome and made me so happy. I love randomly meeting vegans.

Which reminds me of when I was still just vegetarian. I was at summer camp and we were at dinner. There was this girl who was vegetarian too and an omni at the table said to her, "What's the point of that? One person can't accomplish jack shiitake."

And I said, "I'm a vegetarian too." And someone else said, "me too." And someone else. And someone else. More than half the table were vegetarians. The omni kid just went back to eating without saying anything.

It was really cool.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:13 am 
ugh

I went with a big group of friends to Cape Cod last weekend, and since it was (coincidentally) just before my birthday (this Friday!), we had some early birthday celebrations. One of my friends made me a vegan chocolate cake with chocolate almond frosting when we got there Friday night, and on Sunday morning she made me and my fiance vegan banana pancakes. So, so kind! The cottages also belong to her family so she was also the one who put the whole trip together. She's been living in Japan for a few years, and Hawaii before that, so I'm just really glad to have her back and be reminded how awesome she is.

PS: Almost all my gifts from my friends had something to do with cats. Bonus!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:27 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Dinner event at work - I showed up a little early, walked past the kitchen, and the "chefs" called me in to point out that I could eat EVERYTHING except for the roast chicken. And everything was AMAZING - rice and beans, spinach in coconut milk, homemade veggie burgers. And someone brought homemade vegan challah just for my family! So yum!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:57 pm 
Semen Strong

These are all such great stories! Hurrah for awesome vegan stuff!

And Ariann, that is especially awesome <3

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:40 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

paperweight wrote:
Which reminds me of when I was still just vegetarian. I was at summer camp and we were at dinner. There was this girl who was vegetarian too and an omni at the table said to her, "What's the point of that? One person can't accomplish jack shiitake."

And I said, "I'm a vegetarian too." And someone else said, "me too." And someone else. And someone else. More than half the table were vegetarians. The omni kid just went back to eating without saying anything.

It was really cool.

Aww, this is so awesome. Solidarity!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:49 pm 
Huffs Nooch

So I went to my sister's wedding today. I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to get to eat, and brought a load of snacks with me in case it was crepe. But what I got given was amazing! The main course was gnocchi and lots of different mushrooms, in a super rich sauce, topped with vegan cheese. The dessert was a triple dessert - a big slab of chocolate cake, a scoop of Swedish Glace in a dark chocolate cup, and STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING. OMG you guys, it was so good! And it totally impressed all of the omnis sitting at my table.

At the end of the night, I spoke to the lady who had been in charge of the food (and a lot of the other elements of the wedding, she runs the venue). Turns out she is actually a vegetarian (almost vegan) herself.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:51 pm 

Snarf wrote:
So I went to my sister's wedding today. I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to get to eat, and brought a load of snacks with me in case it was crepe. But what I got given was amazing! The main course was gnocchi and lots of different mushrooms, in a super rich sauce, topped with vegan cheese. The dessert was a triple dessert - a big slab of chocolate cake, a scoop of Swedish Glace in a dark chocolate cup, and STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING. OMG you guys, it was so good! And it totally impressed all of the omnis sitting at my table.

At the end of the night, I spoke to the lady who had been in charge of the food (and a lot of the other elements of the wedding, she runs the venue). Turns out she is actually a vegetarian (almost vegan) herself.

This is the best! So glad to hear it--it sounds amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:16 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My daughter's elementary school is having one of those fundraiser things where you eat at a particular restaurant and if you bring in the flyer they give 15% to the school. I always want to support the school, but too often these are at places like Chick Fil A or pizza hut. Places where there is just not a single thing I eat. Anyway, this one is at a sandwich place I have never tried, so I looked up the menu online and they have a vegan sandwich right on the menu. And it's not just sad lettuce, tomato and cucumber. It has marinated mushrooms, bell peppers, avocado. I think it has mayo, but I can get it without. As a double bonus, if this place is actually good not only will I have supported my kiddo's school, but I will have found a new place to go eat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:24 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

My mom had to RSVP to a neighbor's "event" without being told what it was (yeah, I have no idea). She assumed it was a 70th birthday party, but found out too late that it is a "puppy shower" for her purebred puppy that she just had shipped from a puppy farm 2,000 miles away. This is her 6th or 7th consecutive dog of that breed, and she has just given up on finding any new Duggar-esque names for them that all begin with the letter "C", so now this dog is named "C_____ II".

Sooooo, I told my mom sarcastically that she should "gift" this neighbor and her new puppy a donation to our local animal shelter. And she said it was a great idea and that she was going to do it! Ha!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Sooooo, I told my mom sarcastically that she should "gift" this neighbor and her new puppy a donation to our local animal shelter. And she said it was a great idea and that she was going to do it! Ha!

Your mom is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I went to ask a question to all my vegan friends on Facebook. I started tagging them and realised it'd take ages because I'm connected to so many vegans on there! It made me happy.

Asking y'all instead - what's your favourite pie? Can be sweet or savoury, including pizza.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:13 pm 

dropscone wrote:
I went to ask a question to all my vegan friends on Facebook. I started tagging them and realised it'd take ages because I'm connected to so many vegans on there! It made me happy.

Asking y'all instead - what's your favourite pie? Can be sweet or savoury, including pizza.

I thought about this for a minute and couldn't decide between pumpkin or pecan, and then I realized that I need to learn how to make pie so that I can make a pumpkin-pecan pie because oh my god how amazing would that be.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

choirqueer wrote:
dropscone wrote:

I thought about this for a minute and couldn't decide between pumpkin or pecan, and then I realized that I need to learn how to make pie so that I can make a pumpkin-pecan pie because oh my god how amazing would that be.

Surely someone must have attempted it. If not I will make it my mission!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:57 pm 

I don't think I could pick a favorite pie. Maybe cherry? Definitely love pecan, butterscotch, all fruit pies...

Dudes. I am back home in WV, and dad and I stopped at his local grocery store that had just put in a natural foods section. It's just a small local chain (maybe stores?), and the last time I was home I didn'T find anything besides fruits, veg, beans, etc. But now? It is completely awesome. Vegan goodies that I've never seen and never seen in the wild including VV Alfredo sauce. I was tempted to get it even though I wasn't ever crazy about Alfredo. My mind in blown.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I vote with choirqueer on the pumpkin-pecan, but if I had to choose just one it would be pecan. Also, derby pie, which I have not attempted to veganize yet, but maybe that will be my new offering at thanksgiving this year, in addition to my usual pumpkin and pecan pies! Oh, but also, blueberry pie!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Cherry pie forever

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Pecan!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:14 pm 
Semen Strong

There is only one way to be sure if the person standing in front of you is vegan....

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:14 pm 
Semen Strong

There is only one way to be sure if the person standing in front of you is vegan....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:16 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

OMG. That reminds me of something that happened on an escalator a few weeks ago...I had lots of beans the day earlier. I thought I was alone...hm. I'll leave it at that. Oh god, I'm dying of embarassment just thinking about it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:37 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

paprikapapaya wrote:
OMG. That reminds me of something that happened on an escalator a few weeks ago...I had lots of beans the day earlier. I thought I was alone...hm. I'll leave it at that. Oh god, I'm dying of embarassment just thinking about it.

heeeyyy, wait a minute....were you wearing a red shirt and jeans?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Taught a class this morning. One of my students brought in homemade vegan muffins so I could share snacks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:20 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Noticed that my big chain grocery store, smaller local store, and even Whole Foods have all seriously expanded their vegan options.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:37 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
My mom had to RSVP to a neighbor's "event" without being told what it was (yeah, I have no idea). She assumed it was a 70th birthday party, but found out too late that it is a "puppy shower" for her purebred puppy that she just had shipped from a puppy farm 2,000 miles away. This is her 6th or 7th consecutive dog of that breed, and she has just given up on finding any new Duggar-esque names for them that all begin with the letter "C", so now this dog is named "C_____ II".

Haha your mom is so rad.

I guess I have a Twitter now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 25  Next