| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 750 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pet Awesomes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:14 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

emmalv wrote:
Not necessarily a vegan pet awesome but an awesome nonetheless: Talking with a co-worker at our Thanksgiving potluck today, she thought the adopt a turkey program through Farm Sanctuary was a great idea and asked me to send her the link so she wouldn't forget. Just got an email saying she adopted Turpentine and was going to hit up other people in her office to do the same.

No matter what kind of awesome that is, it's a pretty big one :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:41 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

spencer's market has awesome customer service! my order of soy curls & bbq sauce came in a mess (bbq sauce busted open/broke)....so they sent out a replacement & gave me credit!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:53 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

missmuffcake wrote:
spencer's market has awesome customer service! my order of soy curls & bbq sauce came in a mess (bbq sauce busted open/broke)....so they sent out a replacement & gave me credit!

I'm glad they made it right! They were the cause of my ethical candy dilemma earlier this year (or was it last year?). They shipped my order, and then I received an email saying my order was shipping. I thought it was just an errant email, but nope, another package of Cocomels came my way. I alerted them before the other things in my order shipped a second time, and they let me keep the candy! Yes, you can buy my loyalty with candy Spencer's Market!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:16 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've learned to love cooking, and am more motivated to bake than I used to be! I've always loved baking, but it was easy to fall back on laziness and buy pre-made sweets. Now those pre-made sweets cost a small fortune and making my own still costs less than making or buying things pregan! Win win!

I also flavor my coffee in a much healthier way. I used to be addicted to International Delight and (to a lesser extent) Coffee Mate. Soybean oil + corn syrup + casein to give it a disturbing stretch. Throw in some artificial colors and flavors, and you've got some "cream"! The Silk and So Delicious creamers are so much simpler - milk, maybe some oil (in the case of soy), sugar, actual vanilla and/or hazelnut. When I first went vegan, I used to curse ID and CM for having casein in what is otherwise completely vegan - even labeled "dairy free." (WHY?!) Now I am thankful that I have to use healthier creamers instead. Yummy.

No more stomach-issues from dairy: whether gas from the lactose or constipation from the cheese. Now I have fibrous avocado to add to anything and everything.

Cheap stores like Payless have "accidentally vegan" handbags and shoes. I no longer can be tempted by mid-priced shoes or bags. It's either pay next to nothing for cheap pleather or shell out hundreds for the good pleather! (I work at an answering service. I choose the cheap pleather.)

I actually spend a lot less on food, now. Less instant meals (I hate almost all of them), less fast food (Taco Bell gets old), and the protein sources are waaay cheaper than meat. Plus, the only "mock" products I really eat are almond milk, Boca chick'n, and the occasional tub of Tofutti.

I eat healthier, over-all. No cheese to bring me down. As mentioned above, less fast food. Now the only thing that keeps me fat is my sweet tooth. There's nothing we can do about that one!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:02 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

The work Christmas party has arranged a vegan meal for me! Either going to be rice pasta with veggie sauce or a veggie stir fry. I'm not expecting gourmet, just happy to be fed! Hopefully it actually happens, though. I'll need to be full to soak up the astronomical amount I plan to drink from the open bar.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:45 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Moon wrote:
The work Christmas party has arranged a vegan meal for me! Either going to be rice pasta with veggie sauce or a veggie stir fry. I'm not expecting gourmet, just happy to be fed! Hopefully it actually happens, though. I'll need to be full to soak up the astronomical amount I plan to drink from the open bar.

I find stuff like this to be the nicest. And its simple! Not a huge grand gesture but thoughtful nonetheless. I said almost this exact same thing to my husband yesterday: I don't care if the food isn't even that great, but if someone went out of their way, or was just thinking enough to make/provide something I could eat, I'm happy because I appreciate their effort.

And +1 to open bar. Bring a Clif bar, just in case....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

It's at a fancy country club, and I'm paying to go, but the staff at the grocery store who make all the plans were really on top of things in getting something vegan for me and very non-judgemental when I asked if they could find out. I was under the impression it would be buffet style so was worried green salad was going to be my only option.

I work at a wine kiosk inside the grocery store which is not technically a part of the store itself and I don't know the grocery store employees well, so I wasn't really sure what kind of reaction I was going to get.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:29 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Tomorrow we have an off-site and the team secretary told me last week she arranged for a special vegan meal for me! I know the restaurant we are going to and they have awesome food so I am sure it will be nice. I think the secretary is still feeling bad for the first event she organized and didn't know I was vegan so I had nothing to eat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:45 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Update on the lunch at the off-site: it was a buffet, and the soup was vegan for everyone (yellow beets, needed salt but otherwise delish!), main was vegetable lasagna with I think smoked tofu (one of the three dishes on offer, and super yummy), and the dessert was vegan for everyone, chocolate mousse!! It was good but too cold and therefore not very creamy, it got much better in the afternoon after reaching room temperature.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:36 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

J. and I got invited to some friends of his for Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. Like us, they're a mixed couple - she's American and he's Flemish - and she and I have been hanging a bit since I moved here. They're definitely omni, but she's really interested in finding new and healthier recipes for her family, so she's always been really cool about my being vegan.

Anyway, originally, I was going to bring a vegan main to share (either Chloe's meatloaf or Isa's Pumpkin Baked Ziti) and dessert. In the end, she told me to forget the main and just bring dessert and bread. I ended up making the pull-apart poppy seed rolls from Vegan Brunch and the chocolate pudding pie from the blog. (They loved both of them!)

She had not only made sure that all the sides were vegan - stuffing, cranberry sauce, acorn squash, etc - she'd bought vegan chicken pieces from the Vegetarian Butcher and pan fried them really nicely for me in olive oil with lots of seasonings. All of the adult omnis and one of the kids ended up trying my chicken and being really impressed! And she baked a loaf of vegan bread in her bread machine and pronounced it the best bread she'd ever made!

It was really nice. They were so welcoming. The husband made one or two not-obnoxious jokes about me being vegan and once asked me about the transition (if I had done it overnight or if it had been a gradual process). Not once did anyone ask me about protein or cows overrunning the planet. If I was trying to play Defensive Omnivore Bingo last night, I wouldn't have had one mark on my card! If only all meals with omnis could be this pleasant!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:41 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

My father-in-law veganized his sweet potato recipe so that I could have some yesterday. They were absolutely amazing. I had an extra-large second helping of them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:01 pm 

Thanksgiving went smoother than I expected, SO YAY. I think everyone got their comments in during my mom's birthday. :P

In other news, my boss buys half-sheet cakes for everyone's birthday. It's crazy generous to the point where we have two birthday cakes sitting out, since two people had birthdays in a row. My birthday's coming up and I was worried I would have a birthday cake I don't eat, so I asked my boss if I could bring my own. He said yes and that he'd give me a "small treat."

Yeah. Okay. It was delivered to my locker early today - $20 gift card for Walmart with a box of Trader Joe's herbal tea. Only vegan in office - 10/10 would recommend.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:54 pm 

So apparently Mutts is a very pro-vegan comic. I had seen some animal-friendly ones but never anything so downright vegan. My dad circled this one for me the other day. It made me super happy.
http://muttscomics.com/strip.aspx?m=11&d=27&y=13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:28 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

annabazoo wrote:
So apparently Mutts is a very pro-vegan comic. I had seen some animal-friendly ones but never anything so downright vegan. My dad circled this one for me the other day. It made me super happy.
http://muttscomics.com/strip.aspx?m=11&d=27&y=13

I wish I could like this post. Read this today and loved it!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:18 am 
Dead by dawn

We had Friendsgiving last night with 10 or so of biker boy's friends. Though there was turkey and plenty of other non-vegan stuff, I had Field Roast, roasted cauliflower and apple pie, which I brought. And mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes, a squash dish, and green beans in a mushroom-based sauce that the others either made entirely vegan or portioned out some for me before buttering up. A couple of these people I had never even met before so I know that biker boy's friend Bill gave them the heads up on how to take care of me. He has the best friends.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:52 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I had a feeling for a while that Mutts was getting closer and closer to encouraging Veganism, and it finally happened! Hooray!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:22 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

finding out that acquaintances are vegan (or vegan friendly) and you compare food notes/places to eat!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:22 am 
Saggy Butt

Patrick McDonnell, the strip's creator, is also vegan. I sent a message to the Mutts facebook page and a page admin confirmed that he was. I was so happy when I found out, Mutts is my favorite strip.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:33 am 

I was so happy when i saw that!
This is kinda in response to the vegan pet peeves thread, in which people feel like they are a bad face for veganism. Bullcrap! One of my favorite things about veganism and vegan events is that it brings so many different types of people together. There is no one perfect face for veganism- we are all great! I have connected with so many people who are supercool, but who i would never have really talked to if we didn't share veganism. Here's to diversity and being awesome vegans!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:32 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I (and the few other veggies on staff) got this message this week:

"Good afternoon. Thank you for your request for the holiday party dinner. We have been advised by the caterers they will be serving Chana Chaat Masala~ Brabant potatoes, charred tomato sauce as the vegan/vegetarian option."

I then got a follow up message confirming that one of the desserts (apple crisp) will be vegan as well.

I decided to push a little harder with the dinner this year to insist that there be something (at very least green salad with vinaigrette for appetizer, fruit for dessert) for all three courses for me. I have been here three years and so far at events there has been an entree but not always other courses (as well, on one memorable occasion, no lunch or breakfast at an overnight retreat).

This holiday party is a big event with a huge and expensive buffet for the omnis so there is no excuse. The social committee at the office has been very accommodating. I would have been happy with fruit for dessert but the woman coordinating with the caterers was insistent I should get something better than that.

Now I will plenty of food to soak up the gin and tonics I plan to enjoy at the open bar.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:29 pm 
WELFARIST!

I got home from a really, really long day last night and T had stocked his freezer with something like 4 pizzas for me. A few Amy's roasted veggie ones and the rice crust one with vegan cheese. He hadn't bought the cheesy one before and was very proud of himself for reading the label for sneaky ingredients. I just had to burst his bubble and tell him that it said VEGAN at the top of the ingredients list all along, haha! Anyhow, hoorah for omnivore boyfriend that buys me frozen pizzas, hummus, and pita chips to keep me comfy and happy at his place.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We went out to a pop-up restaurant at a pub near where I was working yesterday evening. Nothing on the menu said vegan, but the chef used to work at another pub which is very open to making subs, so I thought it'd probably be okay, and it was! My server was a vegetarian ex-vegan so I was confident he'd be able to check effectively with the kitchen. After the meal he told me the chef had enjoyed the challenge of veganising dishes for me and that if they get a permanent restaurant there in the new year they'll probably put on more veg*n options. They had really nice vegan-suitable craft beer, too!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:03 am 
Tofu Pup

We don't really have vegan restaurants where I live, so it always makes me happy when places make special dishes just for me. Like my favorite Italian pizza place, where they make me a cheeseless roasted zucchini pizza with arugula and basil oil because they know I can't eat pesto. It's so sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:21 am 
Not NOT A Furry

An omni friend asked me to help her expand her food horizons and move away from animal products! She is a total animal lover and fully acknowledges her hypocrisy, but she is an extremely picky eater who hates vegetables (I've seen her order a salad with meat on it, and eat just the meat). I try to be an ambassador for veganism by feeding everyone delicious food, and I guess it's working! She's liked stuff I've made before, even when it had tofu, so I have high hopes. She bought AFR on my recommendation and she's coming over tomorrow and we will make whatever she wants from it. (Besides being a vegan pet awesome this whole scenario is also a regular awesome because I only met this person about a year ago and I really really like her and am excited about becoming better friends.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:21 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

In my interview yesterday, since it's a writing job I got to talk about my blog a bit. The interviewer was really excited and told me that her son's girlfriend is vegan, and she always tries to make sure she's included in meals but doesn't know what to make, so she's going to scour my blog and figure out what to make for this girl so she feels welcome at the dinner table.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 750 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 30  Next