| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 750 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pet Awesomes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

NatureBoy's opinion about my vegan diet is: people who want to eat with us should also experience how awesome being vegan is. Therefore, they should also eat vegan with us. (I would never do that! I do my thing and you do yours has been my approach.) so far, it is working out.

Also, in light of the UN's climate reports, I suggested all science events should be strictly vegan. One science outreach program is now doing that, a major conference at UCSD is considering it, and a prof and I are going to petition the rector (dean) to do so for all events sponsored by our uni. Because, seriously, if scientists won't follow those recs, who will?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:59 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

lutin wrote:
NatureBoy's opinion about my vegan diet is: people who want to eat with us should also experience how awesome being vegan is. Therefore, they should also eat vegan with us. (I would never do that! I do my thing and you do yours has been my approach.) so far, it is working out.

I tend to get a little annoyed when I go out to eat at places with great options and the omnis I'm with end up getting something non-vegan. I never was able to put into words why that bothered me, but this is it! If we're at a place that has amazing vegan pizza, I want you to have it so you can see how awesome it is and you can see how filling and satisfying and varied a vegan diet actually is.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I get annoyed because it means we can't all try each other's food, and I often end up giving away bites of mine without being able to get reciprocal ones back. Maybe it should go in the pet awesome thread that my boyfriend has become much better recently about ordering vegan desserts so we can share.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:12 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Wasn't sure if this should go in the awesome or peeves thread but I thought it was funny. I was asked if gasoline was vegan because it is liquid dinosaur. Lol the animal is long extinct and didn't die with the purpose of becoming a fuel source. Though I admit, I do wish I could ride my bike everywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:04 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We went to a toddler birthday party of a omni family. The mom is dabbling in veganism lately and the birthday cake was completely vegan, cute, and good. All the food was vegan and there was even tofutti cream cheese for bagels. Nice surprise for us.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:07 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

seeing the omni sil with a cartful of amy's products at target tonight! she says she really likes 'em.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:30 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My boyfriend, like the rest of his family, is omnivorous. But he made all the arrangements for a little family reunion dinner last night, and he selected a vegan restaurant. Not only to accommodate me, though that would've been nice in itself - no, he just chose that restaurant because he loves it so much. And everyone else seemed to enjoy it too! No annoying comments or jokes about the food whatsoever. VICTORY.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:27 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Kal wrote:
Wasn't sure if this should go in the awesome or peeves thread but I thought it was funny. I was asked if gasoline was vegan because it is liquid dinosaur. Lol the animal is long extinct and didn't die with the purpose of becoming a fuel source. Though I admit, I do wish I could ride my bike everywhere.

Haha! I'm pretty sure petroleum products are plant derived, anyway!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Not to mention that petroleum comes from all decomposable matter on earth over long periods of time. Aka, lots and lots of plants and algae and single-celled organisms.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:25 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This is a pretty good link: http://www.fe.doe.gov/education/energyl ... ormed.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:28 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

being really picky about mexican food we are considered snobby. so when we went to a place last night we were hoping for the best but did not think the veg menu would be 'omg'...so wrong...everything was good, even food we would usually scoff at. all the salsas at the bar were vegan - my fave the pineapple mango...i even got a strawberry margarita and our beans had vegan cheeze on them!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:27 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My parents actually made vegan food for brunch yesterday, my dad attempted a vegan cheddar last weekend, and my mom swore off ever eating a hamburger again after making black bean burgers. Win win win baby steps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:16 am 
WELFARIST!

I went to a very, very nonvegan brunch on Sunday. I'm tired of not being able to eat anything anywhere I go, so I brought stuff to make a tofu scramble and made one when I got there. I was nervous that people would make fun of me, but instead most of them were interested in what I was cooking, tried it, and loved it! I don't even care if they were just being polite, it still felt good.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:38 pm 

I like that this thread is still on the first page, a year and a half after I birth'd it forth. Positivity in surprising places should always be front page news. So, that's my pet awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:53 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

That you created this thread, Gulliver, is my pet awesome. I love this thread so much.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My mom ordered me a "chocoholic basket" from Pangea for Easter, and it arrived today! Super exciting. I know those baskets are expensive, and I was so not expecting to get one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:46 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

A festival in Germany I'm going to this summer apparently has vegan steak sandwiches!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:44 pm 

My grocery store had Mighty-O minis! Despite how close we are to Seattle, I've never seen them over here before.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:49 pm 

Here there are constant farm to table events, and farm tours, and farm sing-a-longs, and bike to different farms events and they are always featuring a giant roasted pig or many pigs or baby pigs. Sometimes cow. It's so frustrating! Most of those farms only grow vegetables so why don't they have VEGETABLE based dishes at their stupid events??? It drives me nuts!

And any time I ask if they can do a vegan dish they are like "sure, there will be salad please give us $70"

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:24 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

A week ago a regular customer came in, asking for vegan wine. The conversation quickly moved towards the fact that she's gone vegan and loves her new cookbooks. I asked what she had, she said Vcon and AFR, and I recommended she get IDI and Oh she glows. She was all shocked to be talking to another vegan! Now when she comes in I give her my "must try" recipes from the blog. It all makes me so happy.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:48 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

being vegan means that i will not have to devein a shrimp...that just sounds horrible.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:10 am 
Nooch of Earl

Pinko wrote:
My grocery store had Mighty-O minis! Despite how close we are to Seattle, I've never seen them over here before.

You're in Kitsap, right? I've heard Central Market in Poulsbo carries their stuff. I miss that store (though when I lived nearby they didn't have Mighty-Os!).

Now I just miss vegan donuts in general.

But my pet AWESOME is that I just ordered a vegan tuck box, since I have an EU address finally. I'm not sure how that's going to work with the Italian postal service, but it's going to be epic getting double snackbox action if it works out. (Though I hope the Tuck Box contains more stuff than the Vegan Cuts one, since it's much more expensive)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:47 am 
Nailed to the V

One of our customer's usually brings in baked treats when she comes in for her appointment, and they're always obviously off-limits. Except for yesterday! She found out I was vegan and made me the most delicious lemon brownies! It transpires she knows a lot of vegans and has done stuff for them before :) Yay for lemony brownies!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:37 pm 
Dead by dawn

missmuffcake wrote:
being vegan means that i will not have to devein a shrimp...that just sounds horrible.

Especially when you realize that's not actually a vein... it's their digestive tract.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:03 am 

Ok, so most of my weekend goes in the best things thread here but this is for pet awesomes:

I met a woman at the epic skill swap last year and was eating dinner with her last night at the close of E.S.S. 2014. She asked if I remembered talking to her about vegan food & stuff last year (she's omnivorous but had always wanted to try veganism but had never been successful) and I sort of did & remembered better as we started talking.

Anyways, started talking and it turns out that I recommended Appetite for Reduction & any Isa book. I also said to just experiment with more vegan food & not feel pressure to be 'perfect' but to stop eating that which they can and if they have to have certain foods, be ok with that.

So she tells me first that AFR was a 'game changer' and 'life changing' that Isa made it SO easy for her and she's been so happy to have the book and that it's super easy and delicious (duh). She's not vegan yet, but they eat mostly vegan at home (the only non-vegan thing they have is some cheese, no milk, no eggs, no meat at home) and only some meat/dairy/eggs outside of the home with others, especially in situations where she's not comfortable asking someone else to go out of the way to make vegan food just for her/her husband.

I'm so so so impressed with that and amazed that anything I said could have made such a difference. (And everything she said about Isa Chandra is true & is probably why I'm still vegan) And oh wow, that was a long recap.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 750 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 30  Next