| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pet Awesomes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I was right with you until the hot sauce part. Big salads packed with ingredients are among my favorite things.

I just had a really delicious salad with roasted red pepper vinaigrette, butter and green leaf lettuce, avocado, spinach couscous, tamari baked tofu, edamame, chickpeas, carrots, red onion, those fake bacons salad crunchy toppings, croutons, and cucumber. It would have been perfect if I'd had arugula. (Arugula tops my favorite foods list if you discount things like brownies and pizza)

This is why I have zero patience for the sad sack salads served to vegans in restaurants.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:44 am 
Chip Strong

So for the past year or two my mom has been cooking a lot of exclusively vegan meals, even when I'm not there. In like January she started trying to go vegetarian, and has given up everything now but fish, and is even starting to use exclusively vegan subs for things like cheese, milk, ect.

I don't know if she'll ever go completely veg*n, but yay! She's even said that this year, unless someone else buys/brings a turkey, we're having a vegan Thanksgiving!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:59 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Last night, just by chance, I happened to see that Sara's Weeknight Meals cooking show, which when I have seen it before, was normally not even remotely vegan, had this guy from the New York Vegan food truck on as a guest!
I sat there watching with this big stupid grin on my face the whole time.
http://saramoulton.com/saras-weeknight- ... dam-sobel/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Just looked on the local libraries catalogue with keyword search "vegan" and 3 pages of results come up. A few years ago there was maybe a page. Furthermore, there are several copies of each of many of the books and when I was checking out the blurbs lots of copies seemed to be on loan!

There were a couple of interesting looking books: Bollywood-themed one, and one by Gulin Dunja which seems to be aimed at beginners but has a glowing review on Amazon UK and sounds like it might have some interesting ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:34 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Simply_Love wrote:
So for the past year or two my mom has been cooking a lot of exclusively vegan meals, even when I'm not there. In like January she started trying to go vegetarian, and has given up everything now but fish, and is even starting to use exclusively vegan subs for things like cheese, milk, ect.

I don't know if she'll ever go completely veg*n, but yay! She's even said that this year, unless someone else buys/brings a turkey, we're having a vegan Thanksgiving!

That's awesome! I wish my parents would consider vegetarianism or even just not having red meat several times a week. (Both have very high cholesterol and if you suggest that they change their diet they just say that it is genetic)

Yesterday I drove out to a superstore that sells foods from around the world. They had an awesome vegan selection and their prices were much better than Whole Foods! I saw so many products from Tofurkey that I never knew existed! I also found Amy's Alphabet Soup which I did not know existed and I was quite excited.

The only down side is that the store is about an hour away.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:52 pm 
WELFARIST!

My mom eats mostly vegetarian and vegan these days. Getting backyard chickens (meh) actually helped make that decision for her. She's at least determined not to eat chicken anymore, and she already wasn't really eating cows. Both of my parents are unafraid of tofu, and tell me about the recipes they make.

I forget sometimes how awesome that is, especially considering how far they've come. They used to eat meat with every meal, and were positively bummed the fork out when I went vegan 7 years ago.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:36 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Yesterday I went to a Biergarten with friends and in the menu there was a seitan filet with vegan salad! And it wasn't even among the vegetarian options, it was right there among the Grill options, like it's such a perfectly normal thing to have a vegan option on the menu that you don't even need to point it out and make a fuss (it was marked vegan though). Besides, it was really delicious! Going back for sure, normally my only option at Birtgartens is a Breze and lots of beer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:50 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I like that Target has so many vegan, gluten free & organic options. Today they are having a potluck at the boyfriend's work and he did not want to bring anything. Well, that changed at the last minute so yesterday after work we headed to Target to pick up chips (organic corn + chia twirls) and a big tub of Wholly Guacamole. I have been under the weather so I am glad I did not have to cook or bake and the boyfriend likes to share food that others can pick up on their own...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:07 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I got to rock on some Gracias Madre gorditas last night. My god, they make life worth living.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:27 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I still look back fondly on my Gracias Madre experience in SF. Le sigh that I cannot eat there every day.

My awesome is that I went to WF yesterday and they were out of the cheddar EB Mac n' cheese. While this is a bummer, I was happy that people are buying it. Also, it appears that their vegan selections in general are gradually expanding.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Currant Affairs, my favourite shop in the city, have a food stall at the great music festival being held up the road from my house today and tomorrow. About half the deli counter they run in the shop is usually vegan and the other half vegetarian, but they've decided to make everything they sold at the festival vegan, and they had hotdogs today! I don't remember the last time I was able to eat a hot dog at an event. It was such a treat! With perfect onions!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:23 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

my mom had a bag of eb peanut butter pops for us to share when i visited yesterday...i brought wasabi peas and oddly enough they went together!

at the store i saw sriracha rice chips but then saw they had quinoa....sad face! then i found the kettle chips version and there was no quinoa! score!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:02 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

My grandma used to be a baker, so every time I visit she bakes a big batch of buns for me as a treat. When I went vegan I asked her what was in them, and since there was egg I asked her not to make any more for me. Cue this past weekend when I went to visit and she has a batch of buns waiting for me. She said she used to make them without eggs anyway, so she just went back to that recipe and didn't brush them with butter. So, I got a big batch of vegan buns AND there will be at least one thing I can eat at all family functions!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:09 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

boyfriend has a farmer's market mini stand at work today. for $5 we got a small csa box filled with nectarines, squash, eggplant, apples, chilies!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:10 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i get to interview the vegan temptress for my upcoming vegan themed food network fan zine!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:00 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

baileyb wrote:
So, I got a big batch of vegan buns AND there will be at least one thing I can eat at all family functions!

Nicely done, bailyb's grandma!

I went to the vegan street fair in Dortmund yesterday and nearly died of happiness. I had my first ever vegan doughnut, some good pistachio ice cream, and finally bought a "vegan passport" for hopefully traveling someday. The fair was packed, lots of happy customers and good smells. I checked out EVERYONE's shoes, looking for shoes to covet. I saw so many interesting-looking people.

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:09 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

That sounds like a great day! Any day where you get to try something vegan and new is a good one in my book.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:15 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

seitan enchildas verde with tofu sour cream at a restaurant 4 blocks from my house and multiple places to get vegan ice cream in walking distance. what is happening here.

of course, all these new options also mean that a million artisanal butcher restaurants are opening, too. but...that's for another thread.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:28 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

ijustdiedinside wrote:
seitan enchildas verde with tofu sour cream at a restaurant 4 blocks from my house a

STFU that sounds delicious!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:30 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We apparently have the first non-Oregon Laughing Planet and it looks delightful. SO many vegan options. . . I'm going with the local veg group next Friday to try it out. Reno is surprisingly vegan-friendly for its size and for once, I don't want to leave.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:42 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

oddspongeout wrote:
We apparently have the first non-Oregon Laughing Planet and it looks delightful. SO many vegan options. . . I'm going with the local veg group next Friday to try it out. Reno is surprisingly vegan-friendly for its size and for once, I don't want to leave.

I was last in Reno about 4 years ago and I'm really happy to hear it's more vegan-friendly now, because it was pretty rough when I was there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:49 pm 

It's definitely recent! I remember feeling lost as a vegetarian 7 years ago. I'm thinking UNR being a bit more centralized is a part of it. So um. Thanks Kaepernick?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:28 pm 
Inflexitarian

oddspongeout wrote:

Not true, Laughing Planet started in Bloomongton, Indiana and there's still a location there! It is delicious though so I'm glad they are continuing to spread.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:28 pm 

electric_claire wrote:
oddspongeout wrote:

Not true, Laughing Planet started in Bloomongton, Indiana and there's still a location there! It is delicious though so I'm glad they are continuing to spread.

Neat! All I saw on the website was OregonOregonOregonPortlandmainlysomesmalltownOregon. Still super cool.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:38 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

costco is promoting their organics so they have a lot of new stuff in like almond bark,, cocoroons and fig bars. we bought pretzeles, fig bars, chips, pecans.

yesterday at food max we found good prices on organic produce and tofurky...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next