| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Were you vegetarian?
Yes 81%  81%  [ 144 ]
No 19%  19%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 178
 Post subject: Re: Did you self-identify as vegetarian before going vegan?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:07 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Yeah, for about 13 years prior to going vegan. An ex-girlfriend and decided to go vegetarian together; she lasted about three days. A different ex-girlfriend claims that I was vegan for a while in the early 90s, but I have no recollection of that. None!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:09 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I was for a decade. I knew some vegans in college but they were what everyone thinks vegans look like-pale, very skinny, and chronically sick so I didn't want to give it a try. Craved meat bad when I got pregnant and caved-which was stupid because my body probably needed more protein and I could have found other ways. Found my way back after being overweight, acne problems, stomach problems, and achey joints-I researched what the heck was going on and it all led to dairy. So I went vegan and now feel horrible for the years of eating animals, even as a vegetarian I had blinders on. My family has a farm that I used to visit in the summer, the happy one where the animals aren't cramped up in small spaces and I never thought that was not the norm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:12 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I was a vegetarian for three years. I was sure that veganism was impossible and that oh em gee I could never live without ice cream and cheese. And then I joined the PPK and realized that hundreds of super rad people are vegan, and look at the amazing things they cook and eat. So now I have been vegan for three years! Thanks, PPK!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:12 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I went vegetarian in 2000, then pescetarian in like 2005, and then vegan in 2007. It just had never even occurred to me to be vegan prior to 2007. It was something *other* people did. But then as soon as it occurred to me that it was something that I could do, well, I did it right away.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:16 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I used to go vegetarian for a few weeks every year on Thanksgiving and then eventually go back to eating meat, only to repeat the whole thing all over again the following year. So I guess it wasn't too surprising that my family didn't buy it when I announced at Thanksgiving dinner the year I was 17 that I was really serious this time, and that I was going vegan, not just vegetarian.

8 years later, though, I think they've figured out that I'm serious.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:20 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I went vegetarian for about two weeks in high school, then in my sophomore/junior year of college for almost a year I gave up everything except seafood.

I was a pretty lazy/shitty vegetarian off and on from about 1998, somewhere in there I was a really shitty vegan for about a year. I at marshmallows, gummy things, and non-vegetarian cheese. I also ate fish off and on, and I'd eat other non-vegetarian things about once a year. So, I called myself vegetarian because that's how I ate 99% of the time, but I wasn't that committed to it.

I didn't eat tofu until I was 20 something, and I'm pretty sure I didn't have quinoa and kale until I was in my mid-late 20s. I didn't have asparagus, artichokes, or so many other amazing vegetables growing up. My diet consisted of lots of processed food, cheese, corn, and broccoli.

I don't think I even knew veganism was a possibility, or what the word meant. I'd met other vegetarians, but the only vegan I'd ever encountered was the weird kid who made pickle sandwiches in the dining hall and would throw the cheese from his sandwich into the woods during hikes. I didn't even know the word existed until later, although I'm not sure when.

Around May 2006, a light bulb went off, I went vegan, and it just stuck. Now I don't know how to be anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:55 am 
Saggy Butt

i went vegetarian at 11, but when i was 13 i encountered a table of people from peta. i was super excited to talk to someone about vegetarian things, but all they did was yell at me for not being vegan. seriously, who tells a 13-year-old that they're not doing enough because they're only vegetarian & not vegan?

that totally turned me off of veganness for a long time, & i didn't actually make the switch until 11 years later. in fact, i was still so opposed to the idea that i spent quite a while saying that i was a vegetarian who also didn't eat milk or eggs, rather than just using the word vegan. knowing a cuddly vegan like lutin totally helped though, because she is adorable & the total opposite of those nasty peta people who terrorized my younger self.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:56 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Thanksgiving, 2002: I had several slices of turkey on my plate, and something just clicked. I got up and told my family that I couldn't eat this bird because it was once a living, breathing creature and I wanted no part in its death. It just seemed...wrong. From that moment on I identified as a vegetarian. Prior to this, I ate very little meat because I never enjoyed the taste. After adopting a vegetarian diet, I ate a lot of vegan food without really knowing or understanding the term, as I couldn't afford things like milk and cheese. I was vegetarian for another four and a half years before cutting out all animal products in 2007. One day in May, in a smiliar fashion to my vegetarian epiphany, veganism just made sense. I had done a little research on the subject, had been cooking vegan meals for myself for about a two years, and had been reading a lot of AR & vegan food blogs. It's been almost four years and I ain't never going back!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:02 pm 
Dildo Queen

i started calling myself vegetarian when i was 12 or 13 and only ate meat at home because my mom forced it down my throat. may '06 she finally let me cut meat out of my diet (we were doing foetal pig dissections inc lass, i wasn't participating, she saw me on the PeTA website looking for advice) and she said "okay." but i was under the foolish assumption that all cows still needed to be milked and hens still laid eggs so it was okay to eat them.

3 months later, august, obtained a peta dvd at warped tour and realised that i was very wrong. went vegan that same night have been vegan ever since, over 4 years now yeah boiiii!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:29 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Yes, I was vegetarian for over five years before I became vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:35 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I was a vegetarian for quite a long time before turning vegan - almost 12 years. I have no idea what took me so long!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:39 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

i was a vegetarian for 6 years before i went vegan.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:54 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I was a vegetarian for about 10 years before going vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jordanpattern wrote:
I was vegetarian for about 8 years before going vegan. I mentioned it in the Alicia Silverstone thread, but I big part of why I was vegetarian for so long before going vegan was that I had no vegan role models and didn't know any vegans, so I thought that veganism was way too hard and basically outside the realm of possibility for me as a "normal" person.

Yep, same. I became vegetarian in 1998 (seems to be a popular vegetarian year). So, like 9-10 years before going vegan in 2007.

I've always really loved animals, but never even really knew any vegetarians. One day, I was eating some cold lasagna, and just thought...wow....this is REALLY gross. I don't want to eat this, so I stopped eating meat! After that, I said things like "oooh, I could never be vegan. It's too hard. I love cheese." ACK.
Then (2007), P was telling his best friend how he was also pretty much vegetarian at that time, blahblah. The friend (who has NO interest in anything related) was like, "Why aren't you vegan then?" P was like...Why aren't we vegan?! So we did some research, and yay!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:24 pm 
Chard Martyr

I was vegetarian-ish in my teens for about a year, but my mom made me eat meat on occasion because of the whole protein issue... sheesh. I didn't like it, but gotta do what mom says in her house when you're under 18.

Anyway, in 2007 I just went straight to vegan- it made sense. I didn't like cheese or eggs or milk anyway, so that wasn't difficult, and meat is just gross.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:40 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Aside from a few things we are still using up (we had bought cases of chicken on sale and big tubs of stock from costco, plus some clothing / shoes etc) I've gone from omni to vegan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Pretty much went straight from omni to vegan, so no.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:23 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Absolutely! I grew up in a vegetarian family with Hindu leanings. (note: I am Caucasian; my family has intense India love.) Nobody really explained "why" we were vegetarian to me; we just were. My uncle's family, too -- his wife's family even started the first veg society in Poland back when Communism was "still cool". (note: Communism in Poland was never cool.)

In high school, I realized that veg. didn't go far enough; it was too "inconsistent" and I have been a happy vegan since. Now, my father who does diet and physiology and yoga research "independently" agrees with me, but still can't kick his chai-gulping ways.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:51 pm 
Saggy Butt

yes. i was vegetarian at 21 for about 3 years (after many failed attempts starting at 11). then decided to try eating vegan for a month, after watching awful peta videos and doing lots of reading. and hanging around here! i realized how easy it was, as i'd replaced cow's milk with rice milk and started eating a largely vegan diet when i became vegetarian. so i've been vegan for the 3 1/2 years since!

i was also in the same boat as many, thinking veganism was sort of unattainable for "normal" people. definitely did not know any vegans. god bless the ppk.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:58 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I went vegetarian when I was 14 (2008). It was an all at once thing. I woke up, basically, and said I wouldn't eat meat anymore. My mind couldn't take it anymore. I was depressed, and I felt guilty and it tasted off then. My mother didn't notice at first but when she pulled up to Five Guys and I said that I wasn't really interested, she kind of made the connection.

I went vegan a few months after my sixteenth birthday (after a year and a half as a vegetarian), but I didn't really notice at first. I kind of realized that it had been months since I ate eggs or dairy, and I was even going out of my way to avoid it. It just sort of happened. I mean, I had planned on going vegan later in life, but I was thinking after high school. I didn't think it would be possible while living with my parents.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:01 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I was for about four months.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've been veg for ages, and could very well be able to call myself a vegan any time. I've been careful, not wanting to slander the term until I was 'there' personally.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:29 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I was vegetarian (also from 1998, heh) for 7 years before going vegan. I don't think I even knew what veganism was or had any idea it was an option back then.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:36 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I became a vegetarian* in 8th grade. I saw a squirrel get killed by a cat in our yard, made an offhand remark about how I was never eating meat again, and my mom said, "You'll never be able to do it." OH YEAH?!

*I did have a transitional period where I ate fish for a few months. But I never really liked fish so I might've had one or two fishes sandwiches at a fast food place.

I think this is my favorite story about how someone went vegetarian. Yay young MBM!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:43 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I've always self-identified as a vegetarian (born n raised) but the gross part is I wore leather for YEARS with the rationalization that "meat is SO GROSS. I will never put that stuff in my body but I'm ok with wearing it." I finally had my eureka moment one day a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure it had to do with quitting dairy - decided that for me, it was ridiculous to cut out all animal food products but still keep wearing flesh!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next