| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "Go away, Sandy" thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:45 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

It's 7:44 AM here in No. VA and it's very quiet outside. I actually heard a bird singing earlier. We lost power for about an hour last night, but then it came back on. My daughter must have been scared because I woke up and she was asleep beside me. Sending good thoughts and prayers that everyone is okay, especially NJ and NY. Hope to see you posting soon to let us know you're all right.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I hope everyone is doing okay this morning!

I heard on the radio that 45,000 people in Toronto are without power this morning, but my area seems to be fine. It was insanely windy last night though!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:48 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Hope everyone is doing OK. I didn't have any troubles in my neighborhood. I'm going to try to get outside today if possible. My office is still closed, but it was a corporate decision and most northeast offices are closed today, and I think it makes sense for NYC and New Jersey. Probably for Boston, too, but luckily it's hard for me to imagine because I'm so snug. Thoughts with everyone else.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:58 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm back at work this morning. (In Boston) Random: I'm participating in GISHWHES and one of the scavenger hunt items is to get a picture of someone hitchhiking in front of subway station. I read this at 5:30am this morning and the T started up again at 5:15. Argh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:09 am 
WRETCHED

Our county is still closed for the day. They are asking people to stay off the roads as they cleanup. We live in a high area overall so I'm guessing our city is ok for the most part.

My company closed most (all?) of their offices in the mid-Atlantic and northeast. I remember Irene caused them and a couple other companies to pull out of certain smallsh cities which devastated local economies. I'm wondering if there are any similar impacts going to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:51 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we still have no power at my house this morning and dont expect it for awhile and i was really banking on there being no power where i work 15 minutes away but there is so i am at work :-(

based on what a few other people are reporting it's beginning to sound liek we are the only ones without power which is weird.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:08 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I just saw Tofulish on FB about 15 min ago saying everything was fine, power still out but things under control.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:14 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Everything still fine on my end! We have power and internet -- we're just marooned, basically. Subways will be down indefinitely, and bridges are still closed. And there's still power out at my work building, so we may not even be up and running tomorrow. As long as I can go outside soon, I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:37 am 

Another press conference from Bloomberg this morning on NY Times if anyone is interested.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/28/nyregion/hurricane-sandy.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

All is well over here in S. Jersey for us. We never lost power and there is no water in my basement!

The building I work in is closed for the day since it's considered a high rise. There isn't any public transit running yet in and out of Philly. I haven't heard if they reopened the bridges yet or not.

Glad everyone is ok. I'm watching the news of the shore and it's just demolished.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 am 
Inflexitarian

i didn't have any trouble in my apt in queens but if you walk 3-4 blocks over, it's a completely different story. ugh!
the building i work out of in manhattan is flooded and it's still raining here.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:15 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Ahhh...one of the few bright points of disasters in NYC is hearing our beloved mayor speak Spanish...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:18 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Angelina wrote:
Ahhh...one of the few bright points of disasters in NYC is hearing our beloved mayor speak Spanish...

Yes, he has the best accent I've ever heard. No school again tomorrow! I can't believe it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:30 am 
Chard Martyr

littlebird wrote:
vijita wrote:
Stay safe you guys. <3 I am worried about y'all. Esp. in NY and NJ, and about my sisters in Montreal and Boston.

Nothing happening in Montreal!

Oh good! I admittedly haven't been watching the coverage.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Still at my sister's in Bushwick, still with power. We had some flickering last night but it stayed on. I woke up to the sound of cars driving by, which I hadn't heard in a while. Planning on staying inside today.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:36 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I can't help it, but I am selfishly wondering how my trip to NYC on November 12th will be impacted. I've never been and have been planning this trip for so long and I'm feeling sheepishly bummed.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:48 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Angelina wrote:

Haha yeah. It's always entertaining.

I hope everybody made it through OK. There is some damage in my hood, but nothing like the ultra-scary shiitake we're seeing in the news. Our power never completely went out but it flickered a bunch of times, which was really freaking my boyfriend out, so we ended up eating dinner by candlelight anyway. Now I'm seeing all the squirrels who were hiding in the shed behind my building come out to forage. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Butternut wrote:
Angelina wrote:

Yes, he has the best accent I've ever heard.

It's such a sideshow. To retain his professionalism, I can't believe they wouldn't have an actual spanish speaker step in for a sec to do that part.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:09 am 

My boyfriend's mom is in Highland Park, NJ and apparently New Brunswick is without power and may be without power until Nov. 5th. I can't even. And oh my god, Breezy Point. 80 HOMES destroyed? Just devastating.

We just went outside to get some maple syrup -- no visible damage in my 'hood that I can tell. We're right on the cusp of Red Hook in southern Carroll Gardens. I feel like we're juuuuust outside the flood zone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:20 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

On the other side of the Belt Parkway from where I am, there is a lot of flooding. My dad is a plumber and all his friends from over there are calling him for help. As if he has magical powers to make water disappear out of basements! He did go anyway to try to help, and he said the National Guard is there, and it's a big mess. We have relatives there whose 96-year-old matriarch was taken over today to my parents' house, so my poor Mom is dealing with a cantankerous but pretty cool old lady, while my Dad is saving his friends' basements. ;)

My parents are awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:36 am 
Semen Strong

We"re being told we'll be getting power by 11/5 too. I think its what PSE&G tells everyone. We have downed trees everywhere. Including the one that took out my husband's storage space. He's trying to salvage things now. Man, no power gets old quick.

We are staying off the phones to save electricity but I wanted to check in with the PPK :). Hugs to all.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:40 am 

Stay cozy, Tofulish.

This is kind of amazing: https://twitter.com/ElBloombito/status/262648833127890944

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:32 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i keep obsessively refreshing the National Grid (power company) outage map for my area even though i have no idea what all the blobs mean.

i would enjoy having power back sometime today so i can shower. i stank.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:59 pm 
Inflexitarian

i have a friend in chelsea who's 2 blocks from where this building facade fell down (http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/78972 ... n-chelsea/). She was asked to cat sit and now she's stuck there w/ no power and her cell internet is not working.

mta stated that they are starting limited & free bus service today but didn't say where or for how long and there website is no help right now. does anyone know what's going on?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:02 pm 
Chard Martyr

you can follow the MTA on twitter. maybe they'll post more as it starts happening.

https://twitter.com/MTAInsider

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next